• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
i have searched our condo documents and nothing addresses our situation. five units of the 6 of us have paid all the flood, etc. insurance costs for the last 3 years. this last owner who was in the mortgage business and has about 5 mortgages on the property rents out the property in the summer and collects a substantial amount. for the last 2 years or more, we have been hearing about a short sale but it hasn't happened. in the meantime, we filed a lien for our back dues.

however hurricane sandy has caused substantial damage to our condo and it will have to be rebuilt. the insurance could possibly cover rebuilding, but more than likely we will have to put in additional money and that unit will not join in. then, i think we would be unlikely to ever recoup their share of what they should have paid.

but if we did have additional funds, it seems very unfair that they would share in it. if none of us had paid up the insurance, we would get nothing back, so why should they get anything.

i am going to start another thread with a question about eminent domain and what the town and state are trying to do to our property.

thank you for any ideas, suggestions, etc.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

so what is your question?

I suggest you ask the mods to close two of your threads and combine them into one.

Here's mt response to your other question:

If the dune is to the west of you, how could it be on the ocean side of you?

So the state is trying to protect all units on the island by building a dune to protect against the next ocean flood, is that right?

If so, I'd suspect that this might be the only way your condo could be insurable. While you're likely correct about eminent domain being a good argument, the insurance companies may force the issue.

Here's my response to this question:

If he's in arrears to the HOA, why hasn't the HOA chased him for the dues?

i'm looking for ideas about how to handle this situation.

remmymom said:   i'm looking for ideas about how to handle this situation.

It isn't correct to say that he didn't pay insurance: he paid insurance by incurring a debt with you. So, he owes you the back fees, and he receives the benefits of the insurance payout. That was the deal before the hurricaine: you paid the full insurance amount, he owed you money. So that's the deal after the hurricaine.

and if we have to spend more money than we receive in insurance for rebuilding, we just eat his cost and let him and the banks get away without paying for any of it?

With many topics, I think it's good to get feedback from FWF members. However, on this one, I'll be the first (possibly of many) to say you really need to speak with a lawyer. This sounds extraordinarily complex (insurance + government claiming eminent domain + HOA member with unpaid dues). Too many moving parts to really get a handle on the right way to deal with things. I'd say look for the best real estate attorney you can - and let us know what he says.

remmymom said:   and if we have to spend more money than we receive in insurance for rebuilding, we just eat his cost and let him and the banks get away without paying for any of it?

Is his unit an end unit? If so, just rebuild the 5 units and whoever was next to his end-unit becomes the new end-unit

FEMA REGION II

You might find some useful information here. There have been many changes post Sandy.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014