• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
I just want to say, that while certainly there are some people who have more kids because they're fully supported, I'll bet the majority of these people don't make any kind of value judgement at all.

They have kids they can't afford simply because they don't plan one way or another. Most of these people would probably have the kids whether or not welfare existed. And without it, their kids would be dangerously worse off.

I do really hate the income cliff effect though. I love the chart that has constantly diminishing returns. Flatten out the slope of being poor, but never make it actually worse to make more.

UPdownLoAD said:   

Don't forget you need that Obama Phone!! FREE 250 min & 250 txts each month, or can get unlimited everything for $30/mo.
http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public/Welcome.aspx

While I agree that the phone is unnecessary and a total slap in the face to tax payers (despite the fact that these phones are funded through cell phone carrier "fees"), there is no need to call them "Obama Phones". These phones were available long before Obama was President.

tjguitar85 said:   depalma13 said:   ll kinds of stuff with food stamps and yes many are purchasing lobster and steaks, don't fool yourself into believing they are not.

There ARE restrictions, I knew someone on food stamps and then you couldn't get cooked meat, only uncooked meat. So if you don't have a grill, oven and refrigerator, you are living on processed crap. The guy lived in his car.

It's also important to add that these restrictions are only as good as the merchants selling the goods. They recently busted a lot of corner convenience stores in my area. One of them was processing the EBT card at the register and then selling drugs out of the backroom.

tjguitar85 said:   There ARE restrictions, I knew someone on food stamps and then you couldn't get cooked meat, only uncooked meat. So if you don't have a grill, oven and refrigerator, you are living on processed crap. The guy lived in his car.

You can get a whole bunch of matches for $1. Collect some free sticks, find an old used cookie sheet or makeshift something out of scrap and cook away. If you can manage to save up $20 you can buy a cheap portable grill if you want to make life easier. If you opt to live off processed crap that is probably the same laziness that keeps you unemployed living in your car.

Edit: Rules are getting more and more relaxed anyway. Some states even let you use your food stamp card at fast food restaurants now.

Price to pay for social order... I guess.

aadam101 said:   It's also important to add that these restrictions are only as good as the merchants selling the goods. They recently busted a lot of corner convenience stores in my area. One of them was processing the EBT card at the register and then selling drugs out of the backroom.

Some small merchants will accept coupons as payment for items too. Bring in $30 worth of coupons for products they sell and get $6 worth of beer, etc. The $5 formula checks (actual depositable checks for the retailer instead of a coupon) are like gold. Bring them $40 worth of those and get your pack of smokes and can of budweiser.

brettdoyle said:   A lot if you are a single mom

Here is amore detailed report with a copy of the chart that Brett posted.

I would question the methodology of the chart.

The childcare is shown as a flat amount and a cliff. Its already been pointed out that someone making $2k income isn't going to get $15k childcare. The amount of childcare depends on hours worked, so you've got some steps there. You'd have to work minimum 10 hrs and make $3770 annually to qualify for th program so below that you get $0 childcare.

The amounts for food don't look right either. Foodstamps will be pretty flat till you hit a certain amount then steadily drop off after that. Yet they seem to show little slope from $15-30k and then a cliff around 30k. Not sure why they have a cliff...

Housing benefits also has a slope but it seems minor and it does have a cliff. Section 8 is supposed to require tenants to pay 30% of their income or some minimum. But the amount of benefit you can get is pretty high and it doesn't slope too much an does have a cliff at eligibility threshold of 50% median income. I think that losing section 8 at 50% median income level accounts for most of that cliff shown in the chart. Section 8 is a pretty hefty benefit that drops to 0 at that point.

vipercon said:   ...

Edit: Rules are getting more and more relaxed anyway. Some states even let you use your food stamp card at fast food restaurants now.

Do you mean operate a "Restaurant meal program" only open to the elderly, homeless or disabled?

ref : http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/09/using-snap-ben...

My state lets you buy take n' bake pizzas with food stamps. Thats kinda blurring the lines, but if you can buy a frozen pizza at safeway I don't see the difference really.

tjguitar85 said:   
There ARE restrictions, I knew someone on food stamps and then you couldn't get cooked meat, only uncooked meat. So if you don't have a grill, oven and refrigerator, you are living on processed crap. The guy lived in his car.

A few states passed exceptions to allow food stamps to be used at restaurants, typically fast food places from "EBT accepted" signs I've seen.

http://www.ladpss.org/dpss/restaurant_meals/

A few months ago I was at a local burger joint and the woman in front of me flat out asked if she could use her food stamp card to buy a burger combo before she ordered. She was in her 20s, had clean clothes, moving around just fine and otherwise had no visible "disability". There did not appear to be any actual check against abuse by those who are not homeless, disabled, or over 60.

Her order total came out to be more than mine because she added bacon and burger extras. I'm glad to know my taxes are supporting extra bacon consumption.

I believe depalma13's statement that food stamps are out to support the food industry.

aadam101 said:   Pagannagap said:   

Housing: I think you are limited to certain properties. Many landlords would probably be unwilling to have a single mom with kids and little or no income as tenants.

This isn't true at all. In some states, a landlord is not allowed to refuse a tenant for having Section 8.

I didn't say all landlords, just like I didn't say all single moms with kids and low income are bad people.

Isn't the process much like a job interview where you can refuse to give someone a job based on their race, gender, disability, etc, as long as you lie and give some legitimate sounding reason?

Jahlapenoez said:   
A few months ago I was at a local burger joint and the woman in front of me flat out asked if she could use her food stamp card to buy a burger combo before she ordered. She was in her 20s, had clean clothes, moving around just fine and otherwise had no visible "disability". There did not appear to be any actual check against abuse by those who are not homeless, disabled, or over 60.

Food stamp cards are not just for the homeless, disabled or over 60.

I know a recent college grad who is spending a year in the Americorps program. They spend the year working on good works projects, and get paid maybe a thousand dollars a month. And thus they are eligible for food stamps.

Neidman said:   Jahlapenoez said:   

Food stamp cards are not just for the homeless, disabled or over 60.

I know a recent college grad who is spending a year in the Americorps program. They spend the year working on good works projects, and get paid maybe a thousand dollars a month. And thus they are eligible for food stamps.

Using them at restaurants in LA county is only for those subsets according to the link he posted.

I talked to an 'EBT accepted' Jimmy John's cashier about it once because I was curious. She said that the card itself had to be enabled to be spent there so that the employees didn't have to check. Of course, that was just one random employee so I don't know if that story is actually correct.

tjguitar85 said:   depalma13 said:   madcowdisease said:   I love how a lot of people think their n=1 experience automatically gives them some sort of valid assessment of a category of people as a whole.

If you realized how much SNAP benefits pay out you'd know that lobster & steak is not affordable on that benefit. The people receiving government assistance I see in line at the supermarket are not eating lobster and steak. A ton of sugary processed food, sure, but hardly living high on the hog. If anything the food they're eating is slowly killing them.

Food stamps are a government subsidy to the food industry. If they really were for helping people eat, they would have severe restrictions on what food could be purchased. People buy all kinds of stuff with food stamps and yes many are purchasing lobster and steaks, don't fool yourself into believing they are not.

You can buy cooked meat from the deli, but not if it is considered "ready to eat". You can buy all the donuts you want, but you can't buy the hot fried chicken. You can buy the cold fried chicken and take it home to heat it.

If you are homeless you can get set up to use your SNAP benefits at restaurants.

aadam101 said:   UPdownLoAD said:   

Don't forget you need that Obama Phone!! FREE 250 min & 250 txts each month, or can get unlimited everything for $30/mo.
http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public/Welcome.aspx

While I agree that the phone is unnecessary and a total slap in the face to tax payers (despite the fact that these phones are funded through cell phone carrier "fees"), there is no need to call them "Obama Phones". These phones were available long before Obama was President.
The free cell phone is just a new choice to an old benefit. People have been getting the Lifeline benefit since 1985. The program is funded by both cell companies and land line companies. The government allows them to collect from the customers to recoup their mandatory fees.

Wireless phones is only one option of The Lifeline Program.

The Lifeline program (est. 1985) is available to eligible consumers in selected states and territories. Actual requirements vary by state, but in general to qualify for Lifeline, subscribers must either have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines, or participate in one of the following assistance programs:

Medicaid
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP).
Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8).
Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).
Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF).
The National School Lunch Program's Free Lunch Program.
Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance.
Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF).
Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR).
Head Start (if income eligibility criteria are met).
Other assistance programs in your state.
To learn about the qualification criteria in your state click here.

Federal Poverty Chart

As a registered nurse, I've had the opportunity over the past 21 years to work with many poor and disabled people in a variety of settings. Doing home health, I visited them in their homes, I've visited housing projects, apartments and low-income housing. I've worked at a couple of county hospitals, one here in Atlanta and another at a border hospital in Texas. I've worked in rural health settings and currently, I manage a program for a health insurance company for people with Medicare and Medicaid of all ages.

Almost without exception I can say that people on welfare do not live a "good" life, I don't care how you define it. First of all, for all the freebies discussed in this thread, it is not nearly as easy as refusing to work to get them. You must qualify for each and every one and almost no one gets a completely free ride indefinitely, I don't care how bad off you are. Most benefits are time-limited and you must continuously qualify.

The steak and lobster bit is the most laughable. I've never been to a grocery store in the hood that even sells lobster!

Bottom line: if you are envious of people on welfare, you seriously need to reexamine your entire life.

You need to photoshop your "Debt food stamps tender" better. It's clearly different than the rest of the receipt.

Whether or not the receipt is real it's perfectly plausible, so why accuse OP of providing a fake?

I'm certain there is a gap to some degree. I lived right by public housing while in college to save money. It's not an area I'd want to raise children in or live if I had a choice. I met many people with I-phones, Cable TV, PS3's Etc. Because people waste their money doesn't mean they have a better life. These are often the same people with Eviction notices on their door. (Public housing can evict people similar to anywhere else). They're most likely going to remain stuck in a poor situation, because they have no concept of Tomorrow or preparing for the future.

In general, public welfare does not provide any extremely unfair benefit to the honest person.
Fraud is the problem. If you get free housing and food stamps plus have unreported income, of course you're going to have it better than someone working the same job, but not getting free things.
For disability fraud, you no longer have related work expenses, so you can make the same amount of money go further if you try. i.e. (Work Related) Gas, A reliable (or not at all) car isn't needed, Work clothes / items, lunches, etc you no longer have to pay for. Sure it's entirely possible that someone with the skills of the average person on Fat Wallet could live well if all their time was devoted to saving money.

To live well, it takes effort either way. You're effort is either focused on creating income, or it's focused on making what you have go as far as possible.

Unless you're making minimum wage, or willing to commit fraud you're not going to provide a better life for your children. Could you milk the system (Even legally) and come out ahead? Possibly, depending on how you weigh things.

GodelianKnot said:   I just want to say, that while certainly there are some people who have more kids because they're fully supported, I'll bet the majority of these people don't make any kind of value judgement at all.

They have kids they can't afford simply because they don't plan one way or another. Most of these people would probably have the kids whether or not welfare existed. And without it, their kids would be dangerously worse off...
I understand that all of us have various experiences/perspectives but, from my experience, your statements aren't accurate. My friends who work for social services have numerous stories of angered clients who complain how Virginia doesn't compensate them for all the children that they bore in NY (who they claim were fully compensated for in NY).

The 2nd part -- those kids are "worse off" regardless of aid. As a public school teacher, I heard quite a few HS students tell me that their plan was to get pregnant so that they could get their own apartment (& assorted other benefits) -- it was their alternative to my encouragement that they get an education so that they may make more $$ & buy what they want in life. Yes, some stopped back by to tell me how successful they were.

I think that most (on both/all sides) will agree that the system is flawed. I've known single moms who've tried to get off welfare to set an example for their children but cannot afford to. A situation that stands out in my mind was a single mom who complained to me how she had to go back to welfare because it cost her too much to try to get on her own (there was no gradients in aid -- all or nothing, and "once you are off aid for X amt of time, you have to re-start the application process from the beginning).

It is discouraging for those of us who try to support ourselves to watch the abuses (the folk I know to be on aid drive nicer/newer vehicles, have much nicer phones, wear much more expensive clothes, ... etc.).

All of my section 8 (read free rent from government) each have at least 2 flat screens several computers a nice car and their kids all have the best clothes. One tenant on welfare just popped out another kid....she quit her 20hr a week job at CVS. She now owes me zero dollars and the city increased her housing welfare benefits 250 per month... Plus now she gets more food stamps and yes she eats lobster and shrimp frequently. I was in the gas station the other day.. Girl in front of me bought two gallons of milk with her food stamp card. She then took 40 dollars in cash and bought 4 packs of cigs. Welfare abuse is out if control. Drug alcohol and nicotine testing is in order. The reason welfare recipients generally live in poor conditions is due to poor choices. They receive plenty assistance to live a better life then the average working stiff.

Most welfare programs are chained once you're on one you qualify for them all. Once you're on you almost never leave. Many turn down more hours, promotions etc because they don't want to lose benefits. Less then 1% of those on ssdi left the program last year. Food stamps are at a record high. Those who think there isn't a problem either arnt informed or are benefiting from the outlandish benefits. Don't forget the hidden cost of welfare such as distored rent and food prices. One my apartments gets 1600 vs the 1100 fair market due to section 8.

chedv said:   Wife and I took our 4-month old to the local health office today to get his required immunizations. We have insurance that doesn't pay so our charge was $310...since we "have insurance." No insurance price was $10. A sign on the wall says "immunizations will not be denied for inability to pay." We paid $310 and left. Just a data point.
I'm confused.
If your copay was $310 and the no insurance price was $10 would have asked for the no insurance price
I would think that even though they wouldn't be denied, they would still try to collect

ananthar said:   Adults without children are not eligible to any significant welfare benefits in USA and none beyond a 3-5 year window. That is why so many poor adults try to quality for SSI or SSDI disability benefits instead, making it the backdoor welfare program for those without children.

I think we should switch to paying every adult citizen $300/month + every child $150/month and eliminate all tax brackets under 25% and all welfare programs or means tested benefits (along with the government employees needed to adminster them). It would save taxpayer money and be more fair.

SSI is not a taxpayer burden. We all pay in to it. If an adult with no kids becomes disabled, is no longer able to work, and is approved for SSDI - typically that adult had paid in to the system when they were working. Depending on severity of the disability there is a qualification process every person on SSDI is required to go through. I believe its 1 year, 3 years, or 5 years. Those with permanent disabilities are exempt from this process. It takes at least 6 months to qualify with the typical waiting time of 1 year - though this can last many years if there's no medical "proof" of your illness.

It takes 2 years to qualify for Medicare. Medicare costs 110.00 a month and is only an 80/20 insurance program. If you want more coverage or "gap insurance" you have to pay for it. Prescription drug plans also cost additional. This amount is typically deducted from your SSI or SSDI "check" every month. Until then, you rely on low income medical assistance, if you have that available in the area you live in. This is far from ideal as it typically is only good for wellness check ups, kids shots, flu shots, and antibiotics if you become "really sick". The more "high end" your medical situation is the more you will have to pay - out of pocket.

Don't fool yourselves in to believing that SSI or SSDI covers everything and allows people to live a lavish lifestyle. Where you live can make a difference as far as housing costs, utilities, basic expenses, food costs, and so on. In my area there is no housing assistance program, so anyone on SSDI has to pay their rent by themselves. Many take to sharing rent on a house or living with a relative.

Don't fool yourselves in to believing the people on SSDI "just don't want to work". What is made off of SSDI (and SSI - depending on years spent paying in to it) is pathetic. I personally know people who would rather work and feel productive than be disabled. Theirs is not an easy path as most would never have thought anything bad could happen to them, but as we all know, crap happens and sometimes life just isn't fair. There is a back to work program for people on SSDI, many people go through it, only to then find that prospective employers don't want to employ someone who has "special needs". The job market is really tough right now, for someone with a disability, it can be near impossible.

Yes, there are always those who will abuse the system for all its worth, but we cant punish the majority who truly needs these programs because a few people find ways to abuse the system.

I hope this information helps.

StartByServingOthers said:   Whether or not the receipt is real it's perfectly plausible, so why accuse OP of providing a fake?

Because it's likely a fake. The other giveaway is the porterhouse steak. Whenever I have ever bought steak, it's sold based on weight, not a flat price.

I think the idea that many families just consistently live off social assistance is a bit farfetched. For example, this research suggests that most recipients in Virginia are on TANF for about one year, and very few of them have more than one spell on TANF. According to this, the average length of time on SNAP is 9 months.

If people have other reliable sources that demonstrate that these are not an accurate picture, I would be interested in seeing them. I just feel that most of the information in this thread is anecdotal. For example, the lobster/steak thing ... is there actual research that shows that this is a widespread ongoing problem?

Of course, this also does not mean that there aren't abusers. Or that the system is not in need of reform.

I ran across a related topic over @straightdope's forum -- "Are poor people poor because they're lazy?"

constructionmachine said:   Many of them love lobster and steak.
I found it perfectly implausible.
Of all the social welfare programs the U.S. has, we should probably be worrying about food stamps the least. Its beneficiaries are overwhelmingly needy. In 2010, about 87 percent were at or below the poverty line and almost half were children. Only 3.5 percent had incomes higher than 130 percent of the poverty line. Meanwhile, the program arguably encourages more work by letting unemployed parents take the first job they can find, even if it won't pay enough to feed their family on its own. It's also hyper-efficient stimulus. The money has to be spent instead of saved, meaning it cycles quickly back into the economy. http://www.alternet.org/hard-times-usa/right-wingers-lying-about...

Lucky I'll make this real easy for you. Go to any local store that accepts snap, which is basically all of them at this point... stand in line and watch what they are buying. 50 million people on stamps, worse then the great depression. They hide this from you by using a debit card instead of standing in line at the soup kitchen. If you're lazy ask the cashier the type of crap they see go on with the welfare cards.

jimates said:   tjguitar85 said:   depalma13 said:   madcowdisease said:   I love how a lot of people think their n=1 experience automatically gives them some sort of valid assessment of a category of people as a whole.

If you realized how much SNAP benefits pay out you'd know that lobster & steak is not affordable on that benefit. The people receiving government assistance I see in line at the supermarket are not eating lobster and steak. A ton of sugary processed food, sure, but hardly living high on the hog. If anything the food they're eating is slowly killing them.

Food stamps are a government subsidy to the food industry. If they really were for helping people eat, they would have severe restrictions on what food could be purchased. People buy all kinds of stuff with food stamps and yes many are purchasing lobster and steaks, don't fool yourself into believing they are not.

You can buy cooked meat from the deli, but not if it is considered "ready to eat". You can buy all the donuts you want, but you can't buy the hot fried chicken. You can buy the cold fried chicken and take it home to heat it.

If you are homeless you can get set up to use your SNAP benefits at restaurants.

This was maybe 5 years ago, that program probably didn't exist.

Like many said above, there are restrictions but that only matters depending on the vendor. I think the problem is really with the people who give the benefits out. The social workers and the managers at the assistance offices usually help out people they know more than others. Take for instance I know a 40 year old man with no kids who was fast tracked to section 8 and received a place within 3 months. Electric fully paid for, foodstamps, medical and rent fully paid for while he does nothing at all.

If you also think people in the "hood" don't have iphones and flat screen tvs you are also wrong. They have better clothes and more technology than most of us do because we value the right things.

My gf and I along with our kids were struggling when I was laid off and barely making ends meet. She was basically told to support a family of 4 on 35k before tax. We struggled and I did off jobs and part time jobs until I was fully employed once again. We didn't qualify for food stamps, medicare, section 8 or anything. Since we were actually trying to better ourselves we were turned down yet people popping out children left and right and bumbs are taken care of.

We weren't asking for a handout or anything just a little assistance until I was fully employed again. I now appreciate everything even more because we did it without any of uncle sams help. This board along with personal responsibility was all I needed to become a productive person once again.

There is a major problem with many areas of goverment, I just hope I see the day when people are held responsible.

funkxl said:   All of my section 8 (read free rent from government) each have at least 2 flat screens several computers a nice car and their kids all have the best clothes. One tenant on welfare just popped out another kid....she quit her 20hr a week job at CVS. She now owes me zero dollars and the city increased her housing welfare benefits 250 per month... Plus now she gets more food stamps and yes she eats lobster and shrimp frequently. I was in the gas station the other day.. Girl in front of me bought two gallons of milk with her food stamp card. She then took 40 dollars in cash and bought 4 packs of cigs. Welfare abuse is out if control. Drug alcohol and nicotine testing is in order. The reason welfare recipients generally live in poor conditions is due to poor choices. They receive plenty assistance to live a better life then the average working stiff.

Most welfare programs are chained once you're on one you qualify for them all. Once you're on you almost never leave. Many turn down more hours, promotions etc because they don't want to lose benefits. Less then 1% of those on ssdi left the program last year. Food stamps are at a record high. Those who think there isn't a problem either arnt informed or are benefiting from the outlandish benefits. Don't forget the hidden cost of welfare such as distored rent and food prices. One my apartments gets 1600 vs the 1100 fair market due to section 8.

So how does section 8 work exactly? They rent from you and you get to inventory their possessions, monitor their eating habits and they report to you their work hours and the amount of assistance they get?

shahen said:   funkxl said:   All of my section 8 (read free rent from government) each have at least 2 flat screens several computers a nice car and their kids all have the best clothes. One tenant on welfare just popped out another kid....she quit her 20hr a week job at CVS. She now owes me zero dollars and the city increased her housing welfare benefits 250 per month... Plus now she gets more food stamps and yes she eats lobster and shrimp frequently. I was in the gas station the other day.. Girl in front of me bought two gallons of milk with her food stamp card. She then took 40 dollars in cash and bought 4 packs of cigs. Welfare abuse is out if control. Drug alcohol and nicotine testing is in order. The reason welfare recipients generally live in poor conditions is due to poor choices. They receive plenty assistance to live a better life then the average working stiff.

So how does section 8 work exactly? They rent from you and you get to inventory their possessions, monitor their eating habits and they report to you their work hours and the amount of assistance they get?

I know you're being snide but Actually you pretty much summed it up. It's called a rental application. Part of it includes current employment and pay stub verification. I also get paid from the city and have to fight the tenant every month for their portion, which was recently reduced to zero. When you rent to section 8 and care about your property you make frequent inspections, I must always catch her on family steak night. Don't worry though she is leaving, now that she popped out a third kid she can't afford the city is upgrading her to a bigger three bedroom place.... Must be nice

Stop living in denial.

My mom said when she picks up crabs from those places that sell bushels of crabs and other seafood, they have signs for EBT, WIC, or whatever it is. So I don't know if they can buy seafood from the shop, but they apparently can from these places.

shahen said:   The steak and lobster bit is the most laughable. I've never been to a grocery store in the hood that even sells lobster!

Who said anything about the hood? Go into Wal-Mart.

litehazelbandit said:   Like many said above, there are restrictions but that only matters depending on the vendor. I think the problem is really with the people who give the benefits out. The social workers and the managers at the assistance offices usually help out people they know more than others. Take for instance I know a 40 year old man with no kids who was fast tracked to section 8 and received a place within 3 months. Electric fully paid for, foodstamps, medical and rent fully paid for while he does nothing at all.

If you also think people in the "hood" don't have iphones and flat screen tvs you are also wrong. They have better clothes and more technology than most of us do because we value the right things.

My gf and I along with our kids were struggling when I was laid off and barely making ends meet. She was basically told to support a family of 4 on 35k before tax. We struggled and I did off jobs and part time jobs until I was fully employed once again. We didn't qualify for food stamps, medicare, section 8 or anything. Since we were actually trying to better ourselves we were turned down yet people popping out children left and right and bumbs are taken care of.

We weren't asking for a handout or anything just a little assistance until I was fully employed again. I now appreciate everything even more because we did it without any of uncle sams help. This board along with personal responsibility was all I needed to become a productive person once again.

There is a major problem with many areas of goverment, I just hope I see the day when people are held responsible.
If she made $35K and you got unemployment, and you were upset that you didn't qualify for any benefits. There are plenty of families living on a lot less than that and they don't receive any assistance either.

double

jimates said:   litehazelbandit said:   Like many said above, there are restrictions but that only matters depending on the vendor. I think the problem is really with the people who give the benefits out. The social workers and the managers at the assistance offices usually help out people they know more than others. Take for instance I know a 40 year old man with no kids who was fast tracked to section 8 and received a place within 3 months. Electric fully paid for, foodstamps, medical and rent fully paid for while he does nothing at all.

If she made $35K and you got unemployment, and you were upset that you didn't qualify for any benefits. There are plenty of families living on a lot less than that and they don't receive any assistance either.

Who said I was getting any unemployment?

I didn't get the help and that's fine. It is weird though that a single man doing nothing gets perference over a family of 4. He knew someone and jumped to the front of the line. I saw it all the time while living there and it's one part of the problem.

It's too bad this thread has morphed into a "b1tch about welfare" thread. I'm interested in an answer to the OP's question.

At what level of gross income does it become more advantageous (financially; ignoring social mores) to earn vs earn+acceptBenefits?

For a single male?
For a single female?
For a childless married couple?
For a single dad?
For a couple with 1/2/3 + children?

Follow on question would be: what areas of the country are more advantageous (financially; ignoring climate etc)?

kenblakely said:   It's too bad this thread has morphed into a "b1tch about welfare" thread. I'm interested in an answer to the OP's question.

At what level of gross income does it become more advantageous (financially; ignoring social mores) to earn vs earn+acceptBenefits?

For a single male?
For a single female?
For a childless married couple?
For a single dad?
For a couple with 1/2/3 + children?

Follow on question would be: what areas of the country are more advantageous (financially; ignoring climate etc)?

If you and the OP want these answers why don't you two figure it out and post the info?

tinlizzy said:   ...If you and the OP want these answers why don't you two figure it out and post the info? Nice karma. Hope you enjoy your next life as a dung beetle.
If anyone has substantive contributions, love to hear them....

aadam101 said:   Pagannagap said:   

Housing: I think you are limited to certain properties. Many landlords would probably be unwilling to have a single mom with kids and little or no income as tenants.

This isn't true at all. In some states, a landlord is not allowed to refuse a tenant for having Section 8.

It is my understanding that a landlord has to be "qualified" to accept Section 8 (forms, etc). IF the landlord does not make the effort to get "qualified", they can deny the Section 8 tenant just by stating they are not qualified to receive payments. It is a way around dealing with potentially troublesome tenants.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014