• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Friend had her car broken into and lost about $700 in items. Was in front of a restaurant. Iphone, Ipad, Midol. The usual stuff. Just wondering if there was any way she could minimize her losses. I know some credit cards have a warranty for lost within a certain amount of time, but are there any other routes?

Someone mentioned home insruance, but that didn't make too much sense to me. Thanks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I really feel for the loss of your friend's Midol, OP. That must have been tragic.

Sonofspam (Mar. 31, 2013 @ 4:32a) |

Should I start a thread so fellow FWers can start a contribution fund to replace it?

i3ighead (Apr. 01, 2013 @ 1:20p) |

pics

Al3xK (Apr. 01, 2013 @ 1:27p) |

• Also categorized in:

While as much as it does sound weird, home or renter's insurance is only thing that covers such loss.

I had my stuffs stolen in my car as well (F U BMW for not putting car alarm as standard) and auto insurance only covered the actual damage done to the car. Yes, I filed the police report, and the insurance company didn't care. Home or renter's insruance in general (Of course, YMMV per policy, but in general sounds about right), on the other hand, covers all your belongings no matter where they were at the time of loss.

So, logic is pretty simple. Auto insurance doesn't cover your belongings, so it won't cover them even if they were in the car. Homeowners/renters insurance covers your belongings, so it will cover them even if they were in the car.

The exception would be something 'installed' in your car. I guess there aren't many things that get installed in cars these days but nevertheless that would be covered by auto and since your glass will probably cover the deductible by itself it's probably worth mentioning just in case.

Some auto insurance providers cover luggage & any clothing contained therein, but that's the extent of personal belongings. For aftermarket "installed" items, you might need a rider for coverage (had a CD changer installed in the trunk, later stolen, and coverage denied.)

Wouldn't hold out too much hope for the tape deck, though. Or the Creedence.

Make sure there is a police report, and get a copy. Be sure to include the badge # of the officer who took the report. May need this later on.

Iphones and Ipads sometimes have "tracking" apps that let you find one after it's been stolen,. I think they have to be installed beforehand tho.

Tell her to start watching craigslist immediately:
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/photographer-catches...

get together serial numbers for all devices and file police report. (Or add to Police Report if already done.)

Does Ipod of Ipad have any communication methods such as texting or phone? We got our Ipod swiped in Daytona and looked on our Magic Jack account online to see the theif had been making calls using our phone. We also found the Ipod's serial number either in our Magic Jack or Apple account. We gave all information to police, but got nowhere with it. Police had some way of checking pawn shops to look for stolen Ipods.

I doubt it would work, but you could message the ipod number that "I am responding to your add on Craigslist. Would you take $120?"

Perhaps different messages from 2 Emails might work too. (A second Email 12 hours later just asking about any Apps that are installed)

There are also several stolen ipod databases. Reporting might save a diligent person from receiving stolen property, or even get the person arrested if they sell to someone Very diligent.

Good luck...

While its probably not likely to apply to her... if her theft losses are large enough she can take a tax deduction :

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc515.html

collect receipts from friends/family

file large insurance claim

enjoy new luxury car

soundtechie said:   Iphones and Ipads sometimes have "tracking" apps that let you find one after it's been stolen,. I think they have to be installed beforehand tho.

Unfortunately, from my friend's experience who got his iPhone, iPad and company laptop stolen, that tracking app won't do anything good when it comes to police's investigation. He used the tracking feature and was able to narrow its location to very detailed level. I don't have a clear idea how detail and accruate it was, but considering you can use iPhone and iPad's GPS fuction to walk around the city, I am sure it was very narrow. Probably block level, street number level, or even probably he was able to pinpoint the house his iPhone was in.

But even with such detailed information, cops didn't do anything because the police told him that they cannot rely on those information. Yes, he of course had every single information (You can obtain all information from Apple if you registered device with your Apple ID, which he sure did) but the cops just didn't do anything.

Of course, this is a huge YMMV depends on how cooperative cops in your town are.. but what I am saying is you can't and shouldn't rely on those tracking apps too much... unless you have gang buddies or your pistol to bring with you when you meet up with someone who has/stole your iPhone.

i3ighead said:   Friend had her car broken into and lost about $700 in items. Was in front of a restaurant. Iphone, Ipad, Midol. The usual stuff.

Stolen Midol. What has the world come to.

burgerwars said:   i3ighead said:   Friend had her car broken into and lost about $700 in items. Was in front of a restaurant. Iphone, Ipad, Midol. The usual stuff.

My car (rental) was broken into... So an addition to an old GPS he/she took:

An empty case for glasses
An iphone cable

But a freedom pop mobile AP was left alone.
Also a micro USB cable was left in the car

burgerwars said:   i3ighead said:   Friend had her car broken into and lost about $700 in items. Was in front of a restaurant. Iphone, Ipad, Midol. The usual stuff.

Obviously, major cramping and tough economic times.

My friends car was broken into and not much was take except for the change in his cup holder and some old mail. A few months later, he receive new credit card statements and all kind of bills. Thats when he realized that he had old mail contains his ss# and dob that was also stolen from his car. Note to self, never leave any PII information in the car.

HKSturboKid said:   My friends car was broken into and not much was take except for the change in his cup holder and some old mail. A few months later, he receive new credit card statements and all kind of bills. Thats when he realized that he had old mail contains his ss# and dob that was also stolen from his car. Note to self, never leave any PII information in the car.

Tell you buddy that its VERY possible the thief will also submit a fake tax return (direct deposit to cash card) in his name. Causing his return to be rejected.

I had my car broken into once. They took the XM radio, but left the GPS, 2 motorcycle helmets and all the change in a cup. The XM radio I reported stolen to XM and they blocked it from ever being used again. Not so smart thieves. Cops figured it was kids.

BlueSeaLake said:   HKSturboKid said:   My friends car was broken into and not much was take except for the change in his cup holder and some old mail. A few months later, he receive new credit card statements and all kind of bills. Thats when he realized that he had old mail contains his ss# and dob that was also stolen from his car. Note to self, never leave any PII information in the car.

Tell you buddy that its VERY possible the thief will also submit a fake tax return (direct deposit to cash card) in his name. Causing his return to be rejected.[/Q

Thanks for the advise. I'll let him know.

Thank you all. Hopefully the home owner's insurance will reimburse her midol. The iPad and iPhone would be icing.

edit: I mentioned midol and no one asked for pics. Haha

OverMachoGrande said:   Some auto insurance providers cover luggage & any clothing contained therein, but that's the extent of personal belongings. For aftermarket "installed" items, you might need a rider for coverage (had a CD changer installed in the trunk, later stolen, and coverage denied.)

I believe the local police department may be working on shifts with respect to this report.

i3ighead said:   Someone mentioned home insruance, but that didn't make too much sense to me. Thanks.

For those aspiring to a career in insurance (sorry, the mere typing of that caused me to convulse with laughter) ...

the contents of your vehicle actually are covered under a category of insurance called Inland Marine.

As it sounds, Inland Marine (sometimes called "dry marine", which is not to be confused with servicemen and women who have taken a 12 step program) has its ancient origins in Ocean Marine (sometimes called "wet marine", which is not be be confused with service men and women who have fallen out of the 12 step program).

The original purpose of Ocean Marine coverage was to provide insurance coverage to people -- typically merchants -- on their property while it was in transit -- typically a risky ocean voyage. Ocean marine covers that property under a variety of risks which actually are pretty interesting in their own right, but which have nothing to do with your car (hopefully!).

Anyhoo, the concept of insuring "goods in transit" eventually became extended to cover those goods on their full journey ... even after they had been removed from the ship and been transferred to a train, ship or other conveyance. (I will leave out the whole question of warehousing and in particular bailments, which interestingly have nothing at all to do with waking up in a police station lock up.)

Technically, your personal property -- those things which did not come with your car and are not permanently mounted in your car -- are "in transit" whilst in your car, or your neighbor's car, etc.

And, if you have read this far, coverage for your personal property -- whether in transit or not -- is part of your homeowners or renters policy "package". Or to be a bit more accurate, the "losses to personal property while in transit" is a covered peril under most homeowners packages and similar packages such as renters, condo owners, mobilehome owners, etc.

I add this at the risk of threadjacking my own post, but technically and historically your renters, homeowners, etc. are all considered to be variants of you HO-x products (HO-1, HO-4, HO-6).

So in a manner of speaking, if cocaine were legal to have as personal property AND if your cocaine were to be stolen from your car or someone elses car, your HO would cover your BLOW.

Yeah, that was a lot of explanation for a meager punchline.

Hope this helps.

edited to fix typos

BEEFjerKAY said:   
So in a manner of speaking, if cocaine were legal to have as personal property AND if your cocaine were to be stolen from your car or someone elses car, your HO would cover your BLOW.

So, out of curiosity, Homeowner's insurance wouldn't cover anything illegal? As an example, presume I owned a gun (that wasn't registered/permitted). If that was stolen, it would not be covered under my insurance? What if I was 18, and alcohol was stolen from my house?

Just kind of curious about the extent of insurance covering "illegal" items.

civ2k1 said:   So, out of curiosity, Homeowner's insurance wouldn't cover anything illegal? As an example, presume I owned a gun (that wasn't registered/permitted). If that was stolen, it would not be covered under my insurance? What if I was 18, and alcohol was stolen from my house?

In general -- but subject to various arcane exceptions -- your auto and home insurance will not cover any illegal objects or activities.

As I said, there are exceptions.

But as a rule, don't expect your homeowners insurance to cover when your at-home meth lab catches fire.

Or your auto insurance to cover when you sideswipe 5 other people's cars with that Lambo you just stole.

The alcohol example you gave would require more details.

BEEFjerKAY said:   civ2k1 said:   So, out of curiosity, Homeowner's insurance wouldn't cover anything illegal? As an example, presume I owned a gun (that wasn't registered/permitted). If that was stolen, it would not be covered under my insurance? What if I was 18, and alcohol was stolen from my house?

In general -- but subject to various arcane exceptions -- your auto and home insurance will not cover any illegal objects or activities.

As I said, there are exceptions.

But as a rule, don't expect your homeowners insurance to cover when your at-home meth lab catches fire.

Or your auto insurance to cover when you sideswipe 5 other people's cars with that Lambo you just stole.

The alcohol example you gave would require more details.

Medical weed? (with a license)?

On the alcohol, my intent of the example was: no resident of the household is 21 or older. Therefore it would be illegal for anyone in the household to have purchased it (or subsequently consume it).

WARNING: IF YOU RELY ON ANY FORM OF LEGAL ADVICE FROM RANDOM GOOFS ON THE INTERWEB, BAD THINGS CAN, WILL, AND ARGUABLY SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU.

Depending on the circumstances, medical marijuana could be covered.

Believe it or not, the liquor example still requires more details. But generally, no I would not count on it being covered.

Crazytree said:   OverMachoGrande said:   Some auto insurance providers cover luggage & any clothing contained therein, but that's the extent of personal belongings. For aftermarket "installed" items, you might need a rider for coverage (had a CD changer installed in the trunk, later stolen, and coverage denied.)

I believe the local police department may be working on shifts with respect to this report.

Without revealing any confidential sources, I have reason to believe Dunkin Donuts has had to take on additional staff in support of those additional shifts.

BEEFjerKAY said:   Believe it or not, the liquor example still requires more details. But generally, no I would not count on it being covered.

It would have to be some pretty old wine to make a H.O. claim worthwhile, seeing they will raise your rates if you so much as inquire about something.

An amusing aside,

Last fall, accidentally left my back window open overnight outside my apartment (north side chicago, residential area).

of course, in morning, i noticed that paper was everywhere on my seats, but after going through everything I had (such as a bluetooth transmitter, garage opener, hand sanitizer, ipod cables and mount) the only thing that was stolen was.... an umbrella. And they didn't even open the glove compartment since everything was still organized!
But then again, I didn't have anything in value in there after my friend in SF told me about his winter coat being stolen (after his window was broken).

atikovi said:   BEEFjerKAY said:   Believe it or not, the liquor example still requires more details. But generally, no I would not count on it being covered.

It would have to be some pretty old wine to make a H.O. claim worthwhile, seeing they will raise your rates if you so much as inquire about something.

Generally these are not stand alone claims, but part of larger fire or burglary claims.

And it's generally not "pretty old wine" as you have guessed. You might be surprised at the number of beer can collections or liquor collectible bottles that are out there.

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss police investigation - NYC has seen an increase in crime (first time in decades, and completely attributed to iPhone/iPad theft) so NYPD is very eager to deal with that problem. "Find My iPhone" makes it pretty easy to solve these crimes, so there is apparently a team assigned to dealing with it, working with Apple.

BEEFjerKAY said:   WARNING: IF YOU RELY ON ANY FORM OF LEGAL ADVICE FROM RANDOM GOOFS ON THE INTERWEB, BAD THINGS CAN, WILL, AND ARGUABLY SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU.

Depending on the circumstances, medical marijuana could be covered.

Believe it or not, the liquor example still requires more details. But generally, no I would not count on it being covered.

Be careful if you file a claim that your mj was burned "in a series of small fires" that occurred within a glass bong

Your insurer may pay your claim but then have you arrested for arson .

Happened to a lawyer who smoked his expensive cigars and then filed an insurance claim on them

Good luck. That's all I could say.

But please try not to leave stuff in the car like this. Like wild animal, once they know you leave food in the car, they will keep trying to brake into the car. The least u can do is put valuable items out of sight.

My vehicle was broken into and renter's insurance covered everything except the GPS.

They said the GPS was a vehicle accessory (even though it's not permanently installed/mounted) so it was excluded.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Happened to a lawyer who smoked his expensive cigars and then filed an insurance claim on them

Attorneys are scummy egg-sucking bastids who can manipulate words and people to accomplish unconscionable things.

Or at least that's what I pay my attorneys to be.

Expensive lesson. Don't leave your iphone or ipad in the car.

In California with AB109, a lot of criminals who commit break-ins are constantly being released from prison and back out to break into cars and homes again, get arrested, convicted, released, cycle repeats. Knowing that only violent offenders gets kept in prison they find it worth it to keep stealing stuff.

An attempt was made to break into my subaru. The person could not get access but he managed to break the lock and handle of my driver's side front door and scratched up the paint there. Took $800 to repair it of which $500 was my deductible. I was thinking that I had left the car unlocked, everything he would have stolen would not have been more than $200 in value. Crazy!

lray said:   Expensive lesson. Don't leave your iphone or ipad in the car.

Can we leave samsung galaxy in there?

Skipping 6 Messages...
i3ighead said:   Thank you all. Hopefully the home owner's insurance will reimburse her midol. The iPad and iPhone would be icing.

edit: I mentioned midol and no one asked for pics. Haha

pics

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014