• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
tajar96 said:   I did not do FSA or HSA contributions for this year. Baby is due in Nov and I will definitely contribute for next year. Anyone have FSA or HSA 101 links ?

Here's the FWF HSA thread:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/542257/

Are you asking about health care FSAs, dependent care FSAs or both?

stanolshefski said:   tajar96 said:   I did not do FSA or HSA contributions for this year. Baby is due in Nov and I will definitely contribute for next year. Anyone have FSA or HSA 101 links ?

Here's the FWF HSA thread:

Are you asking about health care FSAs, dependent care FSAs or both?

I am not really sure on any of these, have a lot of research to do.

Just had our first about 3 weeks ago. Total for the 4 day hospital, anesthesia, and delivery was $22,600. With our insurance we paid $160, not including the $600 incurred in prenatal copays/exams that bundles with the delivery charges.

We are saving a ton of money with cloth diapers. I ordered direct from China with Aliexpress. We found cloth snap diapers with 1 included liner for $2.10 each and free shipping. We ordered 1 dozen random patterns and 40 of the charcoal inserts along with some cloth wipes and clothing items for a total of $76 from 4 different vendors. Quality on everything was very good, identical to the Target stock. Diapers were too small for newborn but at just over 9 pound and 3 weeks old they fit well. Using Country Save detergent and coconut oil for sensitive skin based on nurse's advice.

Congrats, CptSavAHo.

From our pediatrician, Crisco could work for a really cheap skin ointment (alternative to Desitin, Boudreau's Butt Paste, etc.).

bump to prevent archiving

Step 1: Immediately explore options to monetize baby.

dbond79 said:   Congrats, CptSavAHo.

From our pediatrician, Crisco could work for a really cheap skin ointment (alternative to Desitin, Boudreau's Butt Paste, etc.).

Step 2: Rub lard on your baby to save money.

Males side of things-
1. Got diapers and wipes from costco, bulk=less running out, less trips to store.
2. Wife comes from huge family, didn't have to buy to many clothes, baby wears a lot of things once, spends most of the time in onesies.
3. Along with huge family comes lots of crappy toys at Christmas and birthdays. I finally convinced them to pick names that way each kid gets a nice item and not 10 cheap disposable ones.
4. Rented breast pump from hospital, bought most accessories from Amazon. With the pump I could do the night shift and let wife rest.
5. A rested wife is a happy wife which makes for a happy husband.  Don't be afraid of the baby, help her as much as you can.  If it frustrates you, put it down, go outside for some fresh air.  It's ok to let it cry.  
6. Bought convertible cribs- turns into toddler bed then a single bed. Spent the extra few bucks for vibrating mattress, It worked wonders for both kids.

This has worked for many men throughout history......."I'm going to go buy some cigarettes, I'll be back in a little while...."

Cloth diapers asap.

Baby rocker.

Car seat properly installed.

Rocking chair.

Swimming classes asap if you can afford it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0743251547

Congratulations, try and get hands down cribs, strollers,car seats etc from friends and relatives You could find good deals online also .Invest you time and money wisely.Many times we buy stuff which we rarely use. It is more important to save for future then spend on expensive articles, which are'nt going to be used often. Other stuff which you need often can be bought in bulk.

Don't buy a ton of clothes... The kid will just grow out of them.

Toys: When birthdays come around, hide some of the toys they get and bring them out later. Will feel like new.

Do not be ridiculous and think your baby needs more air conditioning or heating than you, dress appropriately, save money. Also use your noggin, a lot of parents are irrationally concerned about their baby being too cold this is WRONG. You should be overly concerned about it overheating if anything because when they are hot they are lethargic and less likely to complain and so could get too hot, that is dangerous. Any baby that is a little cold is going to have no problem telling you about it.

Open a secret saving accounts and start putting money in there without anybody knowing it. It will be useful when something goes wrong and get hit with child support. You will need that money to live on

We registered for the Baby Bullet and absolutely love it! I think it says one sweet potato will equal 8 jars of baby food. It comes with jars to refridge/freeze your baby food. I've heard baby food costs $1 per jar, so this will pay for itself pretty quickly.

Open a Coverell/ESA with extra baby cash. You can use it to pay for computer technology or K-12 expenses.

calisoldier83 said:   Cloth diapers asap.

Baby rocker.

Car seat properly installed.

Rocking chair.

Swimming classes asap if you can afford it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0743251547

Why swimming ? Is it good for the mother prior to delivery ? 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014