• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello everyone. Have a baby expected in Nov, appreciate FW ideas to save money now and later.

- I have insurance coverage, how best to maximize it.
- Any thoughts on how/where to get the best deals on cribs, car seats and other baby essentials.
- I will review Just had a baby whats the best way to turn into savings.

If there is a thread already out there for this, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
We registered for the Baby Bullet and absolutely love it! I think it says one sweet potato will equal 8 jars of baby fo... (more)

dmikester10 (Sep. 09, 2013 @ 12:48p) |

Open a Coverell/ESA with extra baby cash. You can use it to pay for computer technology or K-12 expenses.

gaffer (Sep. 09, 2013 @ 4:31p) |

Why swimming ? Is it good for the mother prior to delivery ?

tajar96 (Sep. 10, 2013 @ 12:39p) |

Sites to sign up for -

[ Diapers ]
- Pampers.com
- huggies.com

[ Food ]
- Gerber
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Go to Burlington coat factory if there is one near you, and before you go sign up for emails and get a 20% off coupon. Got our crib there for 250 after coupon, and its rock solid. Same exact one in major furniture store for 600. Also awesome deal on strollers, baby clothes etc.

try to get hanf me downs from family, etc, use craigslist for furniture, don't buy expensive and useless electronics or other "educational" garbage

There was a really good thread on this topic awhile back OP you should see if you can find it.

Thrift shops and consignment stores can be great places to shop for gently used baby/kid items.

Always buy car seats brand new. I bought convertible 3-in-1 car seats that grow with the kids which I highly recommend. They're not the carrier type, though, but that wasn't important to me. If you care about the upholstery in your car, buy a protector which goes behind the child seat.

Skip the diaper genie, wipes warmer, etc.

If possible, breastfeed. Formula is very expensive and breastfeeding is usually the most healthy option for mother and child. Your health insurance covers breast pumps (part of the Affordable Care Act) if you think it'll help.

Here you go OP, lots of good advice:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1213917/

Always look out for good deals on Strollers, one thing that I learnt after messing up with so many strollers. Finally we got Bugaboo (bit expensive) but very comfortable for both my daughter and us (to carry). We bought it used on CL (hardly used by someone in quite affluent neighborhood). Also bought some other stuff from CL (almost new or hardly used). Now I am looking for some good quality umbrella stroller for our upcoming trip to Europe.

Congratulations! Start filling out job applications for your baby. Babies have small fingers so they are extra good at assembling our electronics. My son has an interview at Foxconn this week. Also, remember to put that extra SSN to good use.

Congratulations, OP!

pjws3 said:   Go to Burlington coat factory if there is one near you, and before you go sign up for emails and get a 20% off coupon. Got our crib there for 250 after coupon, and its rock solid. Same exact one in major furniture store for 600. Also awesome deal on strollers, baby clothes etc.

Burlington Coat Factory has one of the worst return policies of any store, period. Good return policies are critical, because you're going ot be receiving gifts, hand me downs, gift cards, and what not.

My personal preferences for stores is Target (with their Red Card, you get 5% off, free shipping on all orders, and an extra 30 days to return things -- 120 instead of 90 days), and Amazon (with Prime or Amazon Mom, and Citi Forward -- which can give you 5% Cash Back on Amazon purchases).

doveroftke said:   Thrift shops and consignment stores can be great places to shop for gently used baby/kid items.

Always buy car seats brand new. I bought convertible 3-in-1 car seats that grow with the kids which I highly recommend. They're not the carrier type, though, but that wasn't important to me. If you care about the upholstery in your car, buy a protector which goes behind the child seat.

Skip the diaper genie, wipes warmer, etc.

If possible, breastfeed. Formula is very expensive and breastfeeding is usually the most healthy option for mother and child. Your health insurance covers breast pumps (part of the Affordable Care Act) if you think it'll help.

This is all great advice.

For consignment stores, try to stick to things that can be go in the laundry or be fully immersed in a water/ bleech solution.

Use cloth diapers at home, you set up a bucket with water in it, keep the changing table near the bathroom (or in it if big enough). You will need 48 cloth diapers and 12 plastic over pants to go over them. Its too much hassle when going out, so use disposable for trips & visits. You will save about $2,000 per year.

most of the stuff being marketed to you --- you don't need

there are some little blue plastic bags at Wallmart that fit a used diaper --- invest in these --- you can throw the diaper inside and tie it up and then the diaper is safe for transport or disposal wherever you want

also the cloth diapers at WallMart make good mini towels

BlueSeaLake said:   Use cloth diapers at home, you set up a bucket with water in it, keep the changing table near the bathroom (or in it if big enough). You will need 48 cloth diapers and 12 plastic over pants to go over them. Its too much hassle when going out, so use disposable for trips & visits. You will save about $2,000 per year.
If you are spending more than $600/year on diapers, you are definitely doing it wrong.

stanolshefski said:   BlueSeaLake said:   Use cloth diapers at home, you set up a bucket with water in it, keep the changing table near the bathroom (or in it if big enough). You will need 48 cloth diapers and 12 plastic over pants to go over them. Its too much hassle when going out, so use disposable for trips & visits. You will save about $2,000 per year.
If you are spending more than $600/year on diapers, you are definitely doing it wrong.

and if you tell your wife to use cloth diapers when she has to do the crappy work ---- you are DEFINITELY doing it wrong

Definitely check Amazon before you buy any major (expensive) items. Even with a family member's 25% employee discount at one of the large baby stores, we've often found Amazon to be less expensive.

For diapers, we were changing our first baby every time there was a little pee until our pediatrician pointed out that it's unnecessary. Urine is sterile and disposable diapers are incredibly absorbent so the child's not in discomfort unless it's completely saturated. To each their own, but we don't spend more than a couple hundred dollars a year on diapers, buying them in bulk.

stanolshefski said:   BlueSeaLake said:   Use cloth diapers at home, you set up a bucket with water in it, keep the changing table near the bathroom (or in it if big enough). You will need 48 cloth diapers and 12 plastic over pants to go over them. Its too much hassle when going out, so use disposable for trips & visits. You will save about $2,000 per year.

Agree with that. When I did the math about a year ago, paying for Amazon mom was the cheapest diapers and wipes (was 30% off now 20%). If you can time coupons with sales and stack you can probably do better than that now, but with Amazon there is a convenience factor as well.

Thanks for the good ideas so far folks. Have to discuss (or agree to) the diapers vs cloth with DW.

How do I spend less than $600 / yr on diapers ?

chantspel - I remembered that thread but could not find a link for it, so thanks for posting it.

We are very excited for our first child.

tajar96 said:   Thanks for the good ideas so far folks. Have to discuss (or agree to) the diapers vs cloth with DW.

chantspel - I remembered that thread but could not find a link for it, so thanks for posting it.

Ok - I must be missing something.... My baby is 9 months old and I have not spent more than $30-$35/month or 12-14c per diaper thanks to FW...at an extreme 10 diapers a day, that is about $470....I call bull**** on the savings by using cloth diapers...typical hyppie math....why not 1 MILLION DOLLARS?!?!

Remember that you will still have to buy wipes, trash bags etc...

I said trash bags because you can use regular trash bags in the diaper genie...there is a video in the Amazon reviews on how....now that is a big money saver...

poordealguy said:   tajar96 said:   Thanks for the good ideas so far folks. Have to discuss (or agree to) the diapers vs cloth with DW.

Ok - I must be missing something.... My baby is 9 months old and I have not spent more than $30-$35/month or 12-14c per diaper thanks to FW...at an extreme 10 diapers a day, that is about $470....I call bull**** on the savings by using cloth diapers...typical hyppie math....why not 1 MILLION DOLLARS?!?!

I said trash bags because you can use regular trash bags in the diaper genie...there is a video in the Amazon reviews on how....now that is a big money saver...

I've got our all-in (after tax, shipping, and credit cards rewards) diaper costs down to 10.X cents each. That's for newborn, size 1 and size 2. When we're about to move up to size 3, I'll update my spreadsheet with the new size(s).

Use the Endorse app for diaper savings. If you have two accounts you should be able to save $5/week.

stanolshefski said:   poordealguy said:   tajar96 said:   Thanks for the good ideas so far folks. Have to discuss (or agree to) the diapers vs cloth with DW.

I've got our all-in (after tax, shipping, and credit cards rewards) diaper costs down to 10.X cents each. That's for newborn, size 1 and size 2. When we're about to move up to size 3, I'll update my spreadsheet with the new size(s).

How ? Are you saying 10 cents, how is that possible ? Can you share your spreadsheet and secret please. Thanks.

dbond79 said:   For diapers, we were changing our first baby every time there was a little pee until our pediatrician pointed out that it's unnecessary. Urine is sterile and disposable diapers are incredibly absorbent so the child's not in discomfort unless it's completely saturated. To each their own, but we don't spend more than a couple hundred dollars a year on diapers, buying them in bulk.

Diapers should still be changed before it gets to the point where a baby looks like they're carrying a full backpack on their butt (which I do see in clinic sometimes). Also, if a baby is having diaper rash, change the diaper more often. In geriatric patients, constantly wearing a urine-soaked diapers leads to skin breakdown and ulcers; in pediatric patients, it worsens diaper rash.

Best deal there is... Is breast feeding, up to a year.

tajar96 said:   stanolshefski said:   poordealguy said:   tajar96 said:   Thanks for the good ideas so far folks. Have to discuss (or agree to) the diapers vs cloth with DW.

How ? Are you saying 10 cents, how is that possible ? Can you share your spreadsheet and secret please. Thanks.

You don't need a spreadsheet - just setup a FW alert for Diaper and look for deals in your email...11c a diaper for Size 1-2, 12-13c for Size 3 and 14c and above for Sizes 4,5 etc are quite frequent...

Do not buy a lot of newborn size diapers - the baby will grow out of those pretty fast!!!

Luvs are the best kept secret in the diaper world - do not let the huggies/pampers fanboys fool you...Luvs is awesome and amazing value...

Cribs, bassinets, car seats, and strollers cost a pretty penny.

If you are in the common age range with friends/family with kid(s) in the same range, you should be able to receive a lot of freebies. Or check with neighbors or friends of friends. Most parents will have some things that they don't know what to do with, and will likely be glad to have you reuse it as they understand how much kids cost.

Good luck!

Spend time with your kid, not running around to save a couple of pennies on diapers or wipes. For all 3 of my kids I used Costco brand diapers and wipes. (1 left in diapers now!) I stock up when they have coupons (regularly), but the savings vs analyzing each stores weekly specials weren't worth it to me. Breastfeed as long as you can (our middle one went 16 months), but if they stop early or you need to supplement with formula use generic (again we used Costco) formula rather than the name brand stuff.

Friends, neighbors and consignment sales are the way to go. You'll probably get enough new cute outfits for going out and special occasions as gifts, for everything else it really doesn't matter. These little things don't have the best manners, and they don't care about what they wear and will cover it in food, poop and vomit within minutes. I do get a few new outfits and pjs at Costco or H&M. Our neighbors have two kids 2 years older than mine - we get a bag of clothes and one of toys and books from them on our doorstep every summer and winter as they clean their closet. And a lot of those things came from another neighbor to them first!

Toys are similar situation - I have a closet literally full of unopened toys that the kids don't need. (They get so many gifts for birthdays and Xmas!) Their favorite toys are a $2 spinning thing and a $5 slide I bought at a consignment sale. I bought their bikes from craigslist for about half a new one at Amazon. For Easter grandma got them each a princess castle that they haven't stopped playing with - she spent $0.70 on each of them at a consignment store. All the bouncy toys and sleep aids and playmats that we got for our first have sat unused in the basement for the next 2 kids. Same with diaper genies, baby monitors, bottle warmers....

As for child proofing the house - we started to attempt it for the first, but you soon realize that you're watching them at that age anyway and that you'll never make it 100% secure, it's better to keep an eye on them and watch as they put the ladybug in their mouth.

Things I do buy new - crib, car seats, bike helmets, baby gates, stroller, a pack-and-play (we travel a lot), kids shoes (baby shoes last forever, but kids destroy them!). If you must have designer stuff, watch the deal-a-day sites (zulily, Gilt, rue la la, etc). They all have baby stuff and every once in a while you'll see a deal (but compare with Amazon first). I got my daughter's bed from Amazon - with no tax and prime shipping it was cheaper than anything local.

We dedicated a small trashcan with a decently sealed lid to throw diapers in. used bags from target, kroger, wallmart as the trashbags. diaper genie was decent, but by the time it was full enough to empty, the smell was noxious.

As mentioned, buy car seat new. we spent ~$50 on first 'carrier' type seat, then $200 for the next one (britax brand) and that has lasted 3+ years now.

we didnt opt for a changing table - just used the floor or couch.
crib, stroller go with CL. clothes, toys, things they will outgrow too quickly, check with local second-hand baby /kid shops. around here, main chain is called once upon a child.

invest in a decent (man-appropriate) diaper bag. carry essentials only. you dont need 8 bottles, 27 diapers, 4 changes of clothes, and 12 toys for a trip to the grocery. carrying that bag around everywhere gets old, so just pack what you need, then one more.

also as mentioned, go to WalMart and get those little blue bags. i think they are in the baby-travel section. great for sealing up on-the-go happenings.

Buy a new car seat (and maybe crib) for everything else only buy what you need when you need it and shop at good will/consignment shops. There is so much unneeded baby stuff out there.

Breast feed if possible, rent a good quite pump (more expensive but happy wife).
Cloth diapers (save lots of money)
Bonus items we liked: moby wrap, sleep sacks and a travel crib (we travel a lot), and a rocking swing was given to us.

Fr the first six months you'll find you spend less money . We have been to babyrus twice in 9 months and I hope I never have to go back.

tajar96 said:   stanolshefski said:   poordealguy said:   tajar96 said:   Thanks for the good ideas so far folks. Have to discuss (or agree to) the diapers vs cloth with DW.

These size 1 diapers are 10.925 cents each with Amazon Mom and the Citi Forward card:

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Gentle-Diapers-Stretch-Closure/dp/B00...

These size 2 diapers are 10.996 cents each with Amazon Mom and the Citi Forward card:

http://www.amazon.com/Luvs-Ultra-Leakguards-Diapers-Count/dp/B00...

Right now, there's a $1 coupon on the Luvs that brings the price down to 10.579 cents each.

The key is knowing the size breaks and accurately predicting how many diapers your kid will need in the next 30 days, and in which size.

There's a Hot Deals thread on Amazon Mom here:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1239310/

Both the Citi Forward and the Barclays Sallie Mae card will give you a net 5% Cash Back on Amazon orders:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/908171/

https://www.salliemae.com/landing/WorldCreditCard/

Here's the Hot Deals thread on Amazon coupons:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1249629/

My advice: Don't buy your kid a bunch of crappy toys and try to discourage your family from doing the same. If I could do it again, I'd have about 10 toys total for my three kids instead of the eight 36 gallon Rubbermaid bins full of toys that never get played with, consume batteries, take up space and make obnoxious noises. Plus, too many toys burn out their pleasure centers and they stop appreciating things. Wifey and I are scaling WAY back and we're getting rid of all the crap that is cluttering up our house. Don't suffer the same fate. Nip it in the bud.

Join your community's online parents group, usually a google group or listserv-type thing. They are full of people trying to get rid of outgrown stuff. Costco is great for diapers, formula, wipes. Buy the generic brands. If in doubt about whether or not you really need something, wait and see. Get some pedialyte and baby acetaminophen so you don't have to find a 24-hour Drugstore in the middle of the night. Take as many of the hospital cotton blankets home with you as you can; they are very useful and the hospital fully expects you to steal them. Start a college fund.

Also, if people ask what you need and you don't know what to tell them, say books. No such thing as too many books.

My best advice is to make use of eBay. No wait, in addition to outrageous fees, they have a no baby selling policy. Craigslist then.

eBay can be a great place to buy baby clothes... you can get a large lots of 20 used outfits for not very much... say $50 to $70. No sense in buying new stuff as the kids have them filthy within 15 minutes of wearing them.

ceobeaver said:   My advice: Don't buy your kid a bunch of crappy toys and try to discourage your family from doing the same. If I could do it again, I'd have about 10 toys total for my three kids instead of the eight 36 gallon Rubbermaid bins full of toys that never get played with, consume batteries, take up space and make obnoxious noises. Plus, too many toys burn out their pleasure centers and they stop appreciating things. Wifey and I are scaling WAY back and we're getting rid of all the crap that is cluttering up our house. Don't suffer the same fate. Nip it in the bud. Just depends on the costs and value of the items. Just like the the local friends of the library, you can buy a kids book for a donation, keep as long or short as you want and re-donate. Same can be done with garage sale and resale shop toys..... Just an idea, but I understand.

No kid coming, APRIL FOOLS

First: Congrats!

Second: Craigslist, Craigslist, Craigslist.

Third: we invested in cloth diapers by our third of four. I wish we had done it so much sooner. It's saved us a ton of money, not to mention constant trips to BJs for diapers.

If you don't have a source of hand-me-down clothes look online and find some coupons to an outlet mall. The stuff there is cheaper than you will find at a consignment sale and much better quality than you will find in a thrift shop. We bought most of our kids clothes this way and then resold most of them in consignment sales (minus the ones they destroyed) for more that we bought them for. Also shop Kohl's end of season sale for next year items.....you can normally find a lot of things at 60-80% off + Kohl's cash + 30% coupon off.....again, we resell a lot of things we buy this way too in consignment sales.

If you buy used furniture check recalls.....there are a huge number of recalls for used kids furniture. Don't buy anything that you can't find a manufacturer/model#/manf date sticker on it or anything more than 5 years old. You can also buy these in consignment sales (and they check the recalls for you when they accept items--at least the franchised sales we go to do)--the deals aren't that great, though. Don't buy used carseats, or high chairs.

Sign up for all the formula coupons and checks. Have your spouse also sign up. If you use formula, this will be a major expense.

Skip all the diaper genies, warmers, disposable diapers (unless you really care about environment--just get coupons and shop when on sale--it is cheaper to buy small packages on sale with coupon normally than to shop at Costco--if you don't have coupon, go to Costco).

Don't shop at the fashion mall for the kid.....this was the hardest thing to get through to the wife. Those little boutique shops have cute outfits at $150+ a pop.....they dress up their cute little manequins in clothes and have uncanny skills to get new mothers (sorry, but I don't know many dads who would do this) to drop big bucks on clothes that kids will be able to wear for maybe 6 months. The new mother comes home beaming with the cute little outfit for Jr and the husband just bites his tongue when he sees the $49.50 trousers, $29.50 shirt, $39.50 shoes, $54.00 cardigan, $22.00 belt....the wife then calls husband the next day to tell him that she can't find her credit card....eventually she finds where husband hid it and is upset, but that is weeks later. Basically, don't buy your kid $50 pants until they stop crapping in them....even then it is probably not a good idea.

My wife was industrious and got a job at Pottery Barn Kids (where normally a bargain-minded person should not shop)......consider this approach at a kids store (Gymboree, PBK, etc..). Most places only require you to work 6-8 hours a week. You get a large discount (she got 40% + another 10% with their CC and first crack at clearance items) and you will quickly find that people at other stores will share their discounts with you which is gold if you use them with a coupon at an outlet mall....alternative is to find some friends that work at one of these stores.

Skipping 38 Messages...
calisoldier83 said:   Cloth diapers asap.

Baby rocker.

Car seat properly installed.

Rocking chair.

Swimming classes asap if you can afford it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0743251547

Why swimming ? Is it good for the mother prior to delivery ? 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014