• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Don't tell people the sex of your baby, especially if it's a girl. That way friends/family will buy most of the things on your registry and not cute crap you don't need.

As for insurance, make sure to see if you have a shared deductible and out-of-pocket for family coverage. My wife had a $1200 deductible and $2400 out-of-pocket. We added the newborn to her coverage and I didn't realize that now these two things were doubled to 2400/4800. So we really paid an extra 2400 until we met our out of pocket. This might only matter if its a shared policy.

Not really a way to save money, but buy a big exercise ball that you can bounce on. That was the only way we could get our kid to sleep for the first month.

Thanks again for the valuable suggestions folks. Good point on Amazon Mom. I will check that out.

stanolshefski - Good details in that post, it is bookmarked.

zgori said:   Join your community's online parents group, usually a google group or listserv-type thing. They are full of people trying to get rid of outgrown stuff. Costco is great for diapers, formula, wipes. Buy the generic brands. If in doubt about whether or not you really need something, wait and see. Get some pedialyte and baby acetaminophen so you don't have to find a 24-hour Drugstore in the middle of the night. Take as many of the hospital cotton blankets home with you as you can; they are very useful and the hospital fully expects you to steal them. Start a college fund.

Any suggestions on how to find this or simply google. Have checked local newspapers, nothing in there. Will try local supermarkets or library too.

adamc said:   My best advice is to make use of eBay. No wait, in addition to outrageous fees, they have a no baby selling policy. Craigslist then.

Nice one! We definitely had us laughing.

chedv said:   
As for insurance, make sure to see if you have a shared deductible and out-of-pocket for family coverage. My wife had a $1200 deductible and $2400 out-of-pocket. We added the newborn to her coverage and I didn't realize that now these two things were doubled to 2400/4800. So we really paid an extra 2400 until we met our out of pocket. This might only matter if its a shared policy.

Not really a way to save money, but buy a big exercise ball that you can bounce on. That was the only way we could get our kid to sleep for the first month.

DW does not have insurance from her work so she is on my insurance, I will call to find out if there is a shared deductible. On a lighter side, the story of the bouncing ball will be shared for generations in your family I am sure.

First off, Congratulations.

Second...Start putting money aside for college fund.

As you get closer to the date, check Amazon and see if they still have Amazon Prime for Mom (or Dad), it comes pretty handy especially with the 2nd day free shipping.

Also, you might want to start going to those baby formula websites (if you don't decide to breast feed) and sign up for the newsletter and offers as they mail you valuable coupons.

HKSturboKid said:   First off, Congratulations.

Second...Start putting money aside for college fund.

As you get closer to the date, check Amazon and see if they still have Amazon Prime for Mom (or Dad), it comes pretty handy especially with the 2nd day free shipping.

Also, you might want to start going to those baby formula websites (if you don't decide to breast feed) and sign up for the newsletter and offers as they mail you valuable coupons.

We planned on breastfeeding from day 1, but I signed up with all the formula companies an they have sent free samples (I must have 7 or 8 unopened containers of formula), bottles, cooler bags, and piles of coupons (I believe in the neighborhood of $200 right now). That was all for the very slim chance that my wife would be unable nurse our baby.

tajar96 said:   Any suggestions on how to find this or simply google. Have checked local newspapers, nothing in there. Will try local supermarkets or library too.

If google doesn't help, try searching specifically on google or yahoo groups, or ask neighbors with kids. You could also make contact with a large nearby preschools/daycare. The director will know about any parent groups and/or could put you in touch with the head of the parents' association who will.

Every time you go to the pediatrician, ask them for formula samples, medicines, coupons, etc. If medicine is prescribed, ask if they have any physician's samples on hand.

Bumping this post. We just saw the little blue plus sign so I'll take any and all advice as this is our first. All the FWF baby threads have been awesome.

stanolshefski said:   
We planned on breastfeeding from day 1, but I signed up with all the formula companies an they have sent free samples (I must have 7 or 8 unopened containers of formula), bottles, cooler bags, and piles of coupons (I believe in the neighborhood of $200 right now). That was all for the very slim chance that my wife would be unable nurse our baby.

You can sell or trade the formula coupons if you breastfeed. Definitely sign up for all the clubs.

My main tip - don't buy too much in the very small sizes(clothes, diapers, etc.)
You will get a ton of tiny baby clothes gifted, but no one gifts size 18 months +.
The baby will spend 99% of the time in a shirt and a diaper, the cute outfits will only come out for pictures.
Plus, you don't know how big the baby will be. The NB size clothes and diapers might never be used at all.

In general, don't pre-buy too much before the birth. You don't know what will work for you and your kid until you are living it.
Diapers brands fit different kids differently. There are allergies, etc. Some kids don't like pacifiers, some only take a certain type of pacifier or bottle. Mine never liked the bouncy chairs.
Do your research, buy or borrow some stuff and plan to shop once the baby is here.
There are so many people on Craigslist trying to get rid of stuff because they pre-bought and the stuff doesn't work for them. I got a ton of stuff from a mom who prepped everything, then the baby arrived and it was the opposite gender

evercl92 said:   We dedicated a small trashcan with a decently sealed lid to throw diapers in. used bags from target, kroger, wallmart as the trashbags. diaper genie was decent, but by the time it was full enough to empty, the smell was noxious.

Don't waste money on a dedicated diaper trash can. It doesn't work. The best (and cheap) way to take care of a wet or dirty diaper is to place it in a produce bag and knot it tightly. This is a clear plastic bag you can get at a grocery store to put your produce in. I would spend the money on the bags and never have a stinky house again. Also if you would dump the krap into the toilet and flush it before sealing the diaper, it helps with the smell too.

Link to a roll of produce bags

bytem3 said:   Diapers should still be changed before it gets to the point where a baby looks like they're carrying a full backpack on their butt (which I do see in clinic sometimes). Also, if a baby is having diaper rash, change the diaper more often. In geriatric patients, constantly wearing a urine-soaked diapers leads to skin breakdown and ulcers; in pediatric patients, it worsens diaper rash.

This point needs to be re-iterated. Change the diapers even if they only slightly wet. I would go so far as to say, if you're not changing 8-10 diapers a day, you're not changing enough. Why? To prevent diaper rash. Diaper rash sucks big time, and can lead to infections and medical visits, which would wipe out any savings you might have attained from low diaper usage.

Where you can save significant money is in the toys, clothes, and furniture department. Buy these second hand at consignment stores and yard sales. The same with books. They are cheap if you don't buy them new.

Offer to help a friend who has a baby ~1 year older than yours will be. They will be grateful, and hopefully willing to share clothes, etc. that their kid no longer needs.

whodini said:   evercl92 said:   We dedicated a small trashcan with a decently sealed lid to throw diapers in. used bags from target, kroger, wallmart as the trashbags. diaper genie was decent, but by the time it was full enough to empty, the smell was noxious.

Don't waste money on a dedicated diaper trash can. It doesn't work. The best (and cheap) way to take care of a wet or dirty diaper is to place it in a produce bag and knot it tightly. This is a clear plastic bag you can get at a grocery store to put your produce in. I would spend the money on the bags and never have a stinky house again. Also if you would dump the krap into the toilet and flush it before sealing the diaper, it helps with the smell too.

Link to a roll of produce bags

I would give this 10 green if I could. You can also purchase a pack of "diaper bags" at the dollar store for 75 count. That's what we have been dooing.

mashav said:   ... Definitely sign up for all the clubs.

Can we start a FW list please. I can think of -

[ Diapers ]
- Pampers.com
- huggies.com

[ Food ]
- Gerber

Please add, we can even update QS.

tajar96 said:   mashav said:   ... Definitely sign up for all the clubs.

[ Diapers ]
- Pampers.com
- huggies.com

[ Food ]
- Gerber

I can tell you that Pampers probably isn't worth signing up for unless you plan to use them and accrue their points. My kid is probably going to be in college before I get enough free points from them to redeem for anything of value.

tajar96 said:   mashav said:   ... Definitely sign up for all the clubs.

[ Diapers ]
- Pampers.com
- huggies.com

[ Food ]
- Gerber

http://mommasmellsadeal.blogspot.com/2010/10/attention-all-moms-...

When I first became a parent, looking back there were a couple of things I think I would have done differently.

1. If you are both still planning on working, then you need to start looking around for a care provider for your child now. We waited until maybe 1 month after the baby was born and we ended up with a provider we thought wasn't the best but we were out of options at that point. You need to meet every day care or home provider close to you and get started on it now. Take copious notes of everything and just explain when you will need the care and that you're just getting an early start.

2. If your employer offers a dependent care spending account, max it out (which is usually $5000).

3. A new baby being born is a qualifying event for insurance additions of course, but it's also a qualifying event if you have a healthcare flex savings account. If your employer has that available, elect whatever you need to meet your deductible or other expenses.

FrankDooley said:   When I first became a parent, looking back there were a couple of things I think I would have done differently.

1. If you are both still planning on working, then you need to start looking around for a care provider for your child now. We waited until maybe 1 month after the baby was born and we ended up with a provider we thought wasn't the best but we were out of options at that point. You need to meet every day care or home provider close to you and get started on it now. Take copious notes of everything and just explain when you will need the care and that you're just getting an early start.

2. If your employer offers a dependent care spending account, max it out (which is usually $5000).

3. A new baby being born is a qualifying event for insurance additions of course, but it's also a qualifying event if you have a healthcare flex savings account. If your employer has that available, elect whatever you need to meet your deductible or other expenses.

You can hold off until the baby is born to max out the dependent care FSA. The same qualifying event that allows you change change insurance for 30 days, allows you to make the FSA contribution change.

Remember, too, that if someone with an FSA stops working mid-year they are still entitled to spend the entire amount they targeted for contribution that year, rather than only the contributions paid into the account year to date. This is true regardless of reason for terminating employment (i.e. fired, quit to stay home with new baby, etc.). Just be sure to spend the money within the time limit from last date of employment.

I did not do FSA or HSA contributions for this year. Baby is due in Nov and I will definitely contribute for next year. Anyone have FSA or HSA 101 links ?

tajar96 said:   I did not do FSA or HSA contributions for this year. Baby is due in Nov and I will definitely contribute for next year. Anyone have FSA or HSA 101 links ?

Here's the FWF HSA thread:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/542257/

Are you asking about health care FSAs, dependent care FSAs or both?

stanolshefski said:   tajar96 said:   I did not do FSA or HSA contributions for this year. Baby is due in Nov and I will definitely contribute for next year. Anyone have FSA or HSA 101 links ?

Here's the FWF HSA thread:

Are you asking about health care FSAs, dependent care FSAs or both?

I am not really sure on any of these, have a lot of research to do.

Just had our first about 3 weeks ago. Total for the 4 day hospital, anesthesia, and delivery was $22,600. With our insurance we paid $160, not including the $600 incurred in prenatal copays/exams that bundles with the delivery charges.

We are saving a ton of money with cloth diapers. I ordered direct from China with Aliexpress. We found cloth snap diapers with 1 included liner for $2.10 each and free shipping. We ordered 1 dozen random patterns and 40 of the charcoal inserts along with some cloth wipes and clothing items for a total of $76 from 4 different vendors. Quality on everything was very good, identical to the Target stock. Diapers were too small for newborn but at just over 9 pound and 3 weeks old they fit well. Using Country Save detergent and coconut oil for sensitive skin based on nurse's advice.

Congrats, CptSavAHo.

From our pediatrician, Crisco could work for a really cheap skin ointment (alternative to Desitin, Boudreau's Butt Paste, etc.).

bump to prevent archiving

Step 1: Immediately explore options to monetize baby.

dbond79 said:   Congrats, CptSavAHo.

From our pediatrician, Crisco could work for a really cheap skin ointment (alternative to Desitin, Boudreau's Butt Paste, etc.).

Step 2: Rub lard on your baby to save money.

Males side of things-
1. Got diapers and wipes from costco, bulk=less running out, less trips to store.
2. Wife comes from huge family, didn't have to buy to many clothes, baby wears a lot of things once, spends most of the time in onesies.
3. Along with huge family comes lots of crappy toys at Christmas and birthdays. I finally convinced them to pick names that way each kid gets a nice item and not 10 cheap disposable ones.
4. Rented breast pump from hospital, bought most accessories from Amazon. With the pump I could do the night shift and let wife rest.
5. A rested wife is a happy wife which makes for a happy husband.  Don't be afraid of the baby, help her as much as you can.  If it frustrates you, put it down, go outside for some fresh air.  It's ok to let it cry.  
6. Bought convertible cribs- turns into toddler bed then a single bed. Spent the extra few bucks for vibrating mattress, It worked wonders for both kids.

This has worked for many men throughout history......."I'm going to go buy some cigarettes, I'll be back in a little while...."

Cloth diapers asap.

Baby rocker.

Car seat properly installed.

Rocking chair.

Swimming classes asap if you can afford it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0743251547

Congratulations, try and get hands down cribs, strollers,car seats etc from friends and relatives You could find good deals online also .Invest you time and money wisely.Many times we buy stuff which we rarely use. It is more important to save for future then spend on expensive articles, which are'nt going to be used often. Other stuff which you need often can be bought in bulk.

Don't buy a ton of clothes... The kid will just grow out of them.

Toys: When birthdays come around, hide some of the toys they get and bring them out later. Will feel like new.

Do not be ridiculous and think your baby needs more air conditioning or heating than you, dress appropriately, save money. Also use your noggin, a lot of parents are irrationally concerned about their baby being too cold this is WRONG. You should be overly concerned about it overheating if anything because when they are hot they are lethargic and less likely to complain and so could get too hot, that is dangerous. Any baby that is a little cold is going to have no problem telling you about it.

Open a secret saving accounts and start putting money in there without anybody knowing it. It will be useful when something goes wrong and get hit with child support. You will need that money to live on

We registered for the Baby Bullet and absolutely love it! I think it says one sweet potato will equal 8 jars of baby food. It comes with jars to refridge/freeze your baby food. I've heard baby food costs $1 per jar, so this will pay for itself pretty quickly.

Open a Coverell/ESA with extra baby cash. You can use it to pay for computer technology or K-12 expenses.

calisoldier83 said:   Cloth diapers asap.

Baby rocker.

Car seat properly installed.

Rocking chair.

Swimming classes asap if you can afford it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0743251547

Why swimming ? Is it good for the mother prior to delivery ? 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014