Side Swipe by Cab in NYC

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
In my experience, if an insurer really doesn't think they are liable, they will offer you nothing and do it with a smile. If they can't weasel out of being liable, they will try to offer you as little as possible.

That being said, I think he's just trying to scare/intimidate you into going for a low settlement. Since your case is strongly corroborated, I'd get a judge to kick his a$$.

Hi All. Thanks for your comments. I am getting two formal estimates from two shops today. Each is charging me 50$ to do it, but then that's OK.

And to the gentleman who suggested I was a troll, I wont hold it against you. I've never been involved in an accident before with a taxicab, and hence the lack of experience. Yes it was stupid of me to not send these formal quotes at the start, but that does not make me a troll, does it ?

wadias said:   Hi All. Thanks for your comments. I am getting two formal estimates from two shops today. Each is charging me 50$ to do it, but then that's OK.

And to the gentleman who suggested I was a troll, I wont hold it against you. I've never been involved in an accident before with a taxicab, and hence the lack of experience. Yes it was stupid of me to not send these formal quotes at the start, but that does not make me a troll, does it ?

Add the $100 to your claim, since the insurance adjuster required it.

wadias said:   Hi All. Thanks for your comments. I am getting two formal estimates from two shops today. Each is charging me 50$ to do it, but then that's OK.

I'm not familiar with body shops in NYC, but $50 for an *estimate* seems high. Typically, reputable shops give free estimates because they want the business. You may want to call around and find a place that offers free estimates. Also check review sites like Yelp, etc. to find the good shops.

NEDeals said:   wadias said:   Hi All. Thanks for your comments. I am getting two formal estimates from two shops today. Each is charging me 50$ to do it, but then that's OK.

I'm not familiar with body shops in NYC, but $50 for an *estimate* seems high. Typically, reputable shops give free estimates because they want the business. You may want to call around and find a place that offers free estimates. Also check review sites like Yelp, etc. to find the good shops.

In NYC, you are supposed to **TIP** your title closer too when you sign mortgage paperwork. Not suprised by this.

Is that a NYC thing, $50 per estimate??!

Here, I got 3 formal estimates in an hour from 3 body shops, all computerized and printed out and no charge. I just used google map and found some with good reviews and they are usually clustered together in a few block.

Be sure to add the cost of the estimates (and the receipts) to your demand letter.

I have found that some body shops, typically the better ones, will charge for an estimate but, deduct that from the cost of repairs should you go with them. Reason they charge is that they are usually very busy and don't want to spend time giving estimates to people who are just shopping for the lowest price and not the best work.

money2011 said:   I have found that some body shops, typically the better ones, will charge for an estimate but, deduct that from the cost of repairs should you go with them. Reason they charge is that they are usually very busy and don't want to spend time giving estimates to people who are just shopping for the lowest price and not the best work.

Yes, that's the deal here too. Whichever shop I select to get the work done will refund the amount when I get the work done. So all in all, I will be 50$ out of pocket initially. Will roll that into the overall total I request from the insurer.

That's been my experience as well. Everyone has balls of steel until the process server shows up with their court date. After that it's yes sir, thank you, sorry about that.

blueiedgod said:   
Chances are, as soon as they are served, they will just cut you a check to settle.

Question...when you file suit against someone and they receive notice they're being sued. What's the process if they suddenly have a change of heart and want to pay up outside of court?

Is it easy to cancel the pending court-date/lawsuit?

Al3xK said:   Question...when you file suit against someone and they receive notice they're being sued. What's the process if they suddenly have a change of heart and want to pay up outside of court?

Is it easy to cancel the pending court-date/lawsuit?

It's easy for the plaintiff to close the case, assuming there are no counterclaims.

I know of a situation (decades ago) where somebody paid the balance in full when summoned to a collection suit, I think it was a for a retailer's credit account.
They were astonished when the plaintiff took the case to trial.
The judge, possibly in a fit of anti-deadbeat discrimination, hit the defendants for plaintiff's costs and court costs.

NEDeals said:   blueiedgod said:   olvrtw said:   Ughhh, I hate Jersey drivers in NYC. They are the most disrespectful, retarded, and just simply cant drive for their lives, also they have crappy cars. Stay away! In all cases, they are WORSE than a female asian driver!

Whenever I am driving, and see a left lane hog, holding up traffic (left lane is for passing in most states!!!) it is usually a car with NJ plates.

For some odd reason, people from NJ think that once they get into the left lane, it is somehow a prized posession and should never be relinquished. And then, for another odd reason they take it personally when you pass them, or flash your high beams to let them pass you.

Doing 5 under the speed limit in the left lane will not get you there any faster than doing the same in the right lane! Dummies!

Just imagine what a driving paradise NYC would be without NJ registered cars. All of those NY registered taxis would drive perfectly, there would never be cars hitting pedestrians and sideswiping other cars, nobody would ever cut you off while veering over at a toll. The streets would be silent in the absence of horns and insurance rates would plummet.

And it must be an amazing jurisdiction where you live, where all registered vehicles keep right, even in stop and go traffic no doubt.

Left lane hogs and rubberneckers cause most of the traffic jams. Eliminate those, and there are no traffic jams, even if there is an accident being investigated on the side of the road. It just happens what I always see a car with NJ plates that is either hogging up the left lane or has to slow down to a crawl so that they can see what is being investigated on the other side across 3 lanes of traffic. Always NJ plates!

Damn. I haven't been charged for an estimate ever, for anything, not electricians, plumbers, contractors...

This has to be a regional thing.

I think every state has an office of insurance regulation. If its a no go AFTER the estimates are sent and insurance co is dragging their feet def send a copy of all paperwork to the office of insurance regulators or whatever they are called.
Our lawyer did that after progressive was dragging their feet on a personal injury vehicle crash claim (rear ended at stop light). Their offer went from 1k and not a penny more to the policy limit of 10k check with some BS about as per our conversation on such and such day here is your check

Hi All. Just some further updates on this and I need some advice.

After I sent the quotes from a Body Shop over to Fiduciary, they sent me a second identical letter except that the amount had gone up from their earlier estimate of damages of 1.9K to 2.4K and they still wanted to pay only 50%.

At that point I filed a suit at the Small Claims Court here in NYC. The date has been set for September 26.

I still havent got the repairs done, because I frankly cannot pay for it out of pocket and wait a few months. So am using the car as is.

In the meantime, there's an opportunity where I may be able to trade-in my car for another one. Of course the damage diminishes the value of the car.

So my question is.....when I go to court date on Sept 26, and am NOT the owner of the car then, does the insurance claim still stand ? If the judge decides in my favor, can the insurance company come back and say that since I now dont own the car, I cant claim the damage costs.

I could easily wait for a couple of more months for it all to settle in court, however just wanted to know what is the right thing to do.

wadias said:   Hi All. Just some further updates on this and I need some advice.

After I sent the quotes from a Body Shop over to Fiduciary, they sent me a second identical letter except that the amount had gone up from their earlier estimate of damages of 1.9K to 2.4K and they still wanted to pay only 50%.

At that point I filed a suit at the Small Claims Court here in NYC. The date has been set for September 26.

I still havent got the repairs done, because I frankly cannot pay for it out of pocket and wait a few months. So am using the car as is.

In the meantime, there's an opportunity where I may be able to trade-in my car for another one. Of course the damage diminishes the value of the car.

So my question is.....when I go to court date on Sept 26, and am NOT the owner of the car then, does the insurance claim still stand ? If the judge decides in my favor, can the insurance company come back and say that since I now dont own the car, I cant claim the damage costs.

I could easily wait for a couple of more months for it all to settle in court, however just wanted to know what is the right thing to do.

The long term cost to get into a new car is probably going to be greater than the cost of the repair.

If you can't afford a $2000 repair, it is probably best not to get into more debt by trading in a damaged car for a new one.

The long term cost to get into a new car is probably going to be greater than the cost of the repair. If you can't afford a $2000 repair, it is probably best not to get into more debt by trading in a damaged car for a new one.

OK maybe it didnt sound correct. I dont think I want to do the 2000+ dollar repairs on the car till I actually get the money from the insurance company.

Without the repairs the car will get me 4K. With the repairs it will get me 5K or maybe 5.5K. If I get the money from the insurance, I will get the work done and sell the car.

My question still remains unanswered. Anyone here ?

wadias said:   Without the repairs the car will get me 4K. With the repairs it will get me 5K or maybe 5.5K. If I get the money from the insurance, I will get the work done and sell the car.

well that's dumb. why would you spend $2400 to profit only $1500 max?

So that the car can be sold in a better visual condition, and not scratched and dented as it is. As with most used cars...one does not get the same return value as the money put in, unlike houses.

Selfishly i wish you posted a day before you went to court so we could get immediate satisfaction over what happened like in the link below... We have to wait another month until we hear back!!!

Best of luck OP- i think you answered your question over whether to repair or not- why pay 2500 to get an additional 1500 in sale price? And where are you getting your prices??

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1290069/

wadias said:   So that the car can be sold in a better visual condition, and not scratched and dented as it is. As with most used cars...one does not get the same return value as the money put in, unlike houses.

The answer would be to sell the car for $4k and pocket the $2400 insurance settlement = $6400 vs. $5500 if you repair and sell.

elektronic said:   wadias said:   So that the car can be sold in a better visual condition, and not scratched and dented as it is. As with most used cars...one does not get the same return value as the money put in, unlike houses.

The answer would be to sell the car for $4k and pocket the $2400 insurance settlement = $6400 vs. $5500 if you repair and sell.

Thanks for your answer. If I don't own the car, can the insurance company use that in court against me ? In the sense....since I dont own it anymore, there is no question of repairs involved and hence what's there to pay ?

Or am I just overanalysing this ?

Take this asshole to the cleaners. He hit you and tried to run. See if you can sue for diminished value, too.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014