LINK

$89 annual fee is waived for the 1st year

Earn 2x Miles on All Purchases

10% back when redeeming miles for travel

Free TripIt Pro subscription

Ads by Google
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Applied for Arrival+ on Friday PM, got 10 day review message. Called reconsideration line (866-408-4064) this morning. ... (more)

NoMoneyInMyWallet (Aug. 11, 2014 @ 7:44a) |

Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster.

Came on here to report that I called about getting my annual fee waived, and un... (more)

blankstare28 (Aug. 18, 2014 @ 3:51p) |

anyone able to get a 2nd arrival and bonus with a 1st still open?

xoxx (Aug. 18, 2014 @ 11:02p) |

rated:
$400 can be applied only to travel purchases but will you also get 4,000 miles after redemption back- 10% miles back. Also 1k spen will get you 2k miles.

Total that you get is $420 + $42 as miles back.
Is that how it works?

–How do you define travel?
A travel purchase and redemption is defined as: Airlines, Travel Agencies & Tour Operators, Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Cruise Lines, Passenger Railways and Car Rental Agencies as defined by the merchant category code. Purchases made at merchants that do not process transactions under these terms or that use incorrect MasterCard merchant category codes will not qualify. Barclaycard is not responsible for incorrectly coded purchases.

rated:
Does anyone know for sure that you can redeem the points at a value of $0.01/point for Cash Back?

Miles are not redeemable for less than 2,500 miles.
You can use your miles to: (a) “pay for travel” (Airlines, Travel Agencies & Tour Operators, Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Cruise Lines, Passenger Railways and Car Rental Agencies) purchases made within the last 90 days as a statement credit, (b) redeem for Cash Back as a statement credit, (c) redeem for gift cards or (d) redeem for merchandise.
http://www.barclaycardarrival.com/premium-travel/?campaignId=172...

rated:
MoneyOCD said:   $400 can be applied only to travel purchases but will you also get 4,000 miles after redemption back- 10% miles back. Also 1k spen will get you 2k miles.

Total that you get is $420 + $42 as miles back.
Is that how it works?

–How do you define travel?
A travel purchase and redemption is defined as: Airlines, Travel Agencies & Tour Operators, Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Cruise Lines, Passenger Railways and Car Rental Agencies as defined by the merchant category code. Purchases made at merchants that do not process transactions under these terms or that use incorrect MasterCard merchant category codes will not qualify. Barclaycard is not responsible for incorrectly coded purchases.

See my post above, it appears that you can also redeem for gift cards and statement credits. But that's not very clear in the terms -- and of course, they don't list the values for these.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   Does anyone know for sure that you can redeem the points at a value of $0.01/point for Cash Back?

Looks like it

–What can I redeem for?
You can redeem miles for travel statement credits. Travel statement credit redemptions start at 2,500 miles for $25, for any travel purchase within the last 90 days. For more information, please refer to your Terms and Conditions below.

rated:
What's with Barclay offering $400 value (points or miles)? It seems like they are stepping up big time but I wish they have better credit lending services aka Chase/Citi/AMEX. I am pretty maxed out with them with only two cards and total limit of $20K.

rated:
The way I understand this promo is you book whatever travel related expense you want (Flight, tours, hotels, etc), then redeem any points you have accrued on the card as a statement credit for those travel expenses with a 10% credit OR any other expense with a 0% credit.

For example, if you buy a flight for $4000 as part of your $1000 spend, and $600 of other expenses you can:

-Redeem 40,000 points for the $400 flight and have a balance of 4,000 points
-Redeem 40,000 points for a portion of the $600 of other expenses and have a balance of 0 points

Am I reading that right?

rated:
vnuts21 said:   The way I understand this promo is you book whatever travel related expense you want (Flight, tours, hotels, etc), then redeem any points you have accrued on the card as a statement credit for those travel expenses with a 10% credit OR any other expense with a 0% credit.

For example, if you buy a flight for $4000 as part of your $1000 spend, and $600 of other expenses you can:

-Redeem 40,000 points for the $400 flight and have a balance of 4,000 points
-Redeem 40,000 points for a portion of the $600 of other expenses and have a balance of 0 points

Am I reading that right?

It actually looks like you cannot redeem for anything unless it is travel related.

rated:
I tried to remdeem my 42k points from the last promo as statement credit and the rep told me I don't have any qualified spending (ie purchases from nfl stores). The first promo I did a year ago allowed me to redeemed for any purchases. I'm shocked this time around...

rated:
You can redeem the points for credit/gift card, but the ratio is 2 points = 1 cent. So you only get 200 worth if you dont use it on travel.

rated:
Why all the confusion?

"You can use your miles to: (a) “pay for travel” (Airlines, Travel Agencies & Tour Operators, Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Cruise Lines, Passenger Railways and Car Rental Agencies) purchases made within the last 90 days as a statement credit, (b) redeem for Cash Back as a statement credit, (c) redeem for gift cards or (d) redeem for merchandise."

Clearly, the redemption does NOT have to be travel-related.

rated:
c2013 said:   Why all the confusion?

"You can use your miles to: (a) “pay for travel” (Airlines, Travel Agencies & Tour Operators, Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Cruise Lines, Passenger Railways and Car Rental Agencies) purchases made within the last 90 days as a statement credit, (b) redeem for Cash Back as a statement credit, (c) redeem for gift cards or (d) redeem for merchandise."

Clearly, the redemption does NOT have to be travel-related.

Yeah, but the question is, what is the redemption rate for non-travel related expenses. The card is really only worth it if it's $0.01/point. This makes it seem like it's not worth it:

daw4888 said:   You can redeem the points for credit/gift card, but the ratio is 2 points = 1 cent. So you only get 200 worth if you dont use it on travel.

Is this one time that it's worth calling in to find out?

rated:
daw4888 said:   You can redeem the points for credit/gift card, but the ratio is 2 points = 1 cent. So you only get 200 worth if you dont use it on travel.

Link please.

rated:
c2013 said:   daw4888 said:   You can redeem the points for credit/gift card, but the ratio is 2 points = 1 cent. So you only get 200 worth if you dont use it on travel.

Link please.

I am guessing he is getting confused with the 2 points per mile way to earn miles.

Also anyone know how Barclays work if you recently applied for a card, I got their USAIR card a week ago and have heard they always have issues with multiple cards.

rated:
wvtalbot said:   c2013 said:   daw4888 said:   You can redeem the points for credit/gift card, but the ratio is 2 points = 1 cent. So you only get 200 worth if you dont use it on travel.

Link please.

I am guessing he is getting confused with the 2 points per mile way to earn miles.

Also anyone know how Barclays work if you recently applied for a card, I got their USAIR card a week ago and have heard they always have issues with multiple cards.

I have the card.. I got this offer in the mail a month ago. If you want to redeem for a statement credits its 2 miles = 0.01. 40k miles will get you 200 bucks. 5k miles gets you a 25 buck gift card.

I know this is fact.. I have the account alrdy.

rated:
Is there limit on how many Barclay's cards one can have? I got 2 NFL already, should I close those first?

Did anyone apply yet?

rated:
daw4888 said:   wvtalbot said:   c2013 said:   daw4888 said:   You can redeem the points for credit/gift card, but the ratio is 2 points = 1 cent. So you only get 200 worth if you dont use it on travel.

Link please.

I have the card.. I got this offer in the mail a month ago. If you want to redeem for a statement credits its 2 miles = 0.01. 40k miles will get you 200 bucks. 5k miles gets you a 25 buck gift card.

I know this is fact.. I have the account alrdy.

How does redemption work for travel purposes? Do you purchase airline tickets on that card, then they show up on your statement, and you redeem 40k points for $400 statement credit towards the travel purchase?

How does it determine which transcation was travel related and which wasnt?

rated:
can $400 be redeemed in cash or gift cards such as Amazon or WalMart?

rated:
Here's what I would do...

1. Buy fully refundable airfare for >1k, at least 4 months out
2. Buy $400 Amazon/whatever gift cards/other purchase you want
3. Take credit on airfare when it posts
4. Cancel airfare

If it's like the NFL card, the purchase and redemption should be available once you purchase.

Any reason, ethics aside, why that wouldn't work?

rated:
(Keeping the card long-term) I doubt it would merit the annual fee for non-heavy hitters, but 2X miles on all purchases = 2% Cash Back on all purchases assuming you book travel frequently. - Not many 2% cards these days.

Perhaps after a year, call to cancel and see if they will waive annual fee / offer retention bonus?

$400+ is excellent if you can afford the inquiry on your credit.

rated:
$462 in travel rewards seems worth it. Not sure if it's worth it for statement credit.

rated:
Ghandi2002 said:   $462 in travel rewards seems worth it. Not sure if it's worth it for statement credit.

I think you might be confusing the audience of this forum with another website?

Most people here would jump through considerable hoops to save a few bucks. For $462...I think it'd be worth it.

rated:
StartByServingOthers said:   but 2X miles on all purchases = 2% Cash Back

The cash value of each point is only half of a cent.

(1/2)*2 = 1% back

rated:
tedteddy said:   StartByServingOthers said:   but 2X miles on all purchases = 2% Cash Back

(1/2)*2 = 1% back

Right. Unless you use it on travel related charges, its really 1%. Basically, if you are opening this card for the offer, use the points for travel to get most bang for your buck. But close account before year is up or pay the $89 annual fee.

Still think this is a very good offer, not as great as the NFL $400 one, but since I have some travelling coming up, I can utilize the bonus points. Anyone know if having another (i.e. NFL) barclays card in the past would dis-qualify me from promo?

rated:
dpid said:   tedteddy said:   StartByServingOthers said:   but 2X miles on all purchases = 2% Cash Back

(1/2)*2 = 1% back

Right. Unless you use it on travel related charges, its really 1%. Basically, if you are opening this card for the offer, use the points for travel to get most bang for your buck. But close account before year is up or pay the $89 annual fee.

Still think this is a very good offer, not as great as the NFL $400 one, but since I have some travelling coming up, I can utilize the bonus points. Anyone know if having another (i.e. NFL) barclays card in the past would dis-qualify me from promo?

Would there be any issues using these points for taxes and fees charges for award travel?

Might be a good way to make international flights completely free.

rated:
tedteddy said:   StartByServingOthers said:   but 2X miles on all purchases = 2% Cash Back

(1/2)*2 = 1% back

While I agree you have a fair assessment of "Cash Value" that's not what this card is designed for. It would be similar to saying the Southwest bonus is worth $500 because that's the amount of gift cards you can get with the points.

This is a travel card, and therefore travel is going to be the benefit. Although 2% isn't huge it should be pretty easy for a large portion of people to redeem. I take about a vacation or so per year, but I would have no problem redeeming these. An occasional car rental to visit family, or Priceline Hotel / Air reservation where it greatly beats redeeming miles. I think Car Rentals / Priceline should be examples many FatWalleters will have in common since paying for these will be better than using miles. There's even a potential (depending ethically / logistically) loophole above my last post. - I already sometimes book and cancel reservations for legitimate reasons.

I wouldn't bother with this bonus if you have no travel purchases you can make on this card.

outtawhack said:   Ghandi2002 said:   $462 in travel rewards seems worth it. Not sure if it's worth it for statement credit.

I think you might be confusing the audience of this forum with another website?

Most people here would jump through considerable hoops to save a few bucks. For $462...I think it'd be worth it.

You were confused by 'statement credit'. Ghandi meant credit for general purchases would not be worth it. (Miles only worth $200). There is general agreement that this is good if you have travel you can redeem a 'statement credit' toward ($400+ 10% bonus , Etc ).

wvtalbot - should be no problem as taxes/etc for flights as these will be coded as travel. As long as they don't require you to use a specific card. (But keep in mind you may lose rewards / perks you would get for using the card for that program)

rated:
Having gone through the wringer with Barclays on point redemption for statement credit on the NFL card, I will pass on this. They're simply too difficult to deal with.

rated:
StartByServingOthers said:   
While I agree you have a fair assessment of "Cash Value" that's not what this card is designed for. It would be similar to saying the Southwest bonus is worth $500 because that's the amount of gift cards you can get with the points.

This is a travel card, and therefore travel is going to be the benefit.

Depends on the person. For me, the SW card was worthwhile simply for the gift cards. With a $69 annual fee, I basically saw it as a net of $431 in my pocket, and that was worth it. (I also made use of some other points in my account, which let me get another $50 out of it that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten to do so... so really $481 for my specific situation)

rated:
wvtalbot said:   Also anyone know how Barclays work if you recently applied for a card, I got their USAIR card a week ago and have heard they always have issues with multiple cards.

I got the Priceline card last summer/fall, and in the past few weeks have been approved for Sallie Mae, NFL, and the USAir card. Haven't been denied yet (but will likely pass on this one).

I apply online, and if they don't give me instant approval, then the next day I call 866-408-4064.

rated:
StartByServingOthers said:   
You were confused by 'statement credit'. Ghandi meant credit for general purchases would not be worth it. (Miles only worth $200). There is general agreement that this is good if you have travel you can redeem a 'statement credit' toward ($400+ 10% bonus , Etc ).

Yeah, that's what I intended although I was a bit ambiguous in my post. Applied and deferred.

rated:
Anyone know if sites like Priceline and Travelocity count as Travel expenses?

rated:
LiquidSilver said:   Anyone know if sites like Priceline and Travelocity count as Travel expenses?

This blog post from somebody that has had the card since January addresses it at the end. Bottom line is for her, at first yes, lately yes only after numerous phone calls.

http://fishing4deals.com/2013/03/08/barclaycard-arrival-targeted...

rated:
Imo this card directly competes with venture card. This card has 10% bonus which is a plus.

Any data pts yet on what scores are needed to b approved?

rated:
I just applied and got "review" message. I have 2 nfl cards and should have closed at least 1. Anyone have a phone number for reconsideration?

rated:
radiation said:   I just applied and got "review" message. I have 2 nfl cards and should have closed at least 1. Anyone have a phone number for reconsideration?I applied last night and was also put into review. I called the number from this post HawkeyeNFO said:   I apply online, and if they don't give me instant approval, then the next day I call 866-408-4064.Spoke to an agent who asked me to verify yearly income, then looked at my credit report. A few minutes later was approved for $10K limit. Just as a point of reference I also have the NFL card, and a credit score around 740.

rated:
ankitgu said:   StartByServingOthers said:   

This is a travel card, and therefore travel is going to be the benefit.

Depends on the person. For me, the SW card was worthwhile simply for the gift cards. With a $69 annual fee, I basically saw it as a net of $431 in my pocket, and that was worth it. (I also made use of some other points in my account, which let me get another $50 out of it that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten to do so... so really $481 for my specific situation)

To each their own. I probably flew once in the decade prior to getting SouthWest cards, But I couldn't pass up ~ $1667 in value as a sign up bonus VIA companion pass. (Two cards for $3333+ total value). $400-$500 is a pretty good bonus, and might be worthwhile for anyone planning very little travel over the next X number of years. (As most Chase bonuses are once per card)

rated:
I think this is a great deal to grab...

rated:
williamdonne said:   I think this is a great deal to grab.......without a doubt.

rated:
I guess if I travel on over to CVS that won't count.

Skipping 215 Messages...
rated:
anyone able to get a 2nd arrival and bonus with a 1st still open?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014