• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I have a big trip coming up in about a month, but I probably can't spend $3000 by then. Is it possible to redeem for travel expenses that occurred before you were credited the 40k points? Is there a deadline to how far back you can redeem for travel? Thanks for any insight.

rated:
tarq476 said:   I have a big trip coming up in about a month, but I probably can't spend $3000 by then. Is it possible to redeem for travel expenses that occurred before you were credited the 40k points? Is there a deadline to how far back you can redeem for travel? Thanks for any insight.

120 days after the expense is posted.

rated:
Decison to convert to Barclay's Rewards Mastercard
From a phone call I confirmed they will not waive the fee.

However, there is a choice of two cards it can be converted to, the Arrivals no fee (discussed earlier) and the Barclay's Rewards, both with an offer of 1,000 points on first use. Any points on the fee charge will transfer to the no fee version, but not to the Rewards card with a different rewards formula.

She pointed out you could wait until at least mid-March, have your statement close, crediting more points (if you had recent spending), and then they could reverse the fee, and if desired do a conversion. I decided not to wait to save a second phone call (and a chance of a error resulting in the fee not being charged).

It seemed wise to convert, since a 1000 points are gained, and the credit report is slightly improved.

If kept, the age of the account is retained (minor for me).

Also, if kept the credit line is retained which can help your score a little by lowering ratio of money borrowed to total credit lines.

Some some, the credit line could be moved, but she said this could not be done when any money was owed on a card, and owing money this was not an immediate option (although you can authorize an immediate payoff from your bank data to facilitate this).

Once the converted card was paid off (the authorization to charge the full statement amount caries over), the line would be available for transfer to other Barclay's cards, or for new cards. In my case, I had reduce my US Airways card line to $500 to permit maximum spending on this 2.2% card.At some point I would like to increase the US Airways credit line to where I could buy tickets for a family to go somewhere, and transfers from the new Rewards card would be an obvious way to do this, which I was told could be done by a phone call.

The major reason for rejecting transfers to the no fee card was that it has a 20,000 point (after1000 points spend) offer for new applications, and if I really wanted it, I would like that bonus. Now did not seem the best time to apply for this, but I could imagine doing so later when it would be convenient to meet the minimum spend, etc.

While speculative, I can imagine that Barclay's will send out offers to holders of the no fee Arrivals to upgrade at some point. Other issuers seem to do this regularly when you have a no fee version of a card that has a fee version that is better in some way. I suspect these offers will be decent, but probably no better than what you might get by a new application.

Eventually, I may be a holder of the no fee card, and a recipient of any such offers.

That left the Rewards card (no bonus offered for new applications). This had a decent rewards program (2% on groceries, gas, utilities, 1% everything else). For many this is better than 2% on travel with the Arrival, no fee card. The redemption is easier also since they provide for statement credits, and there is no need to wait for a travel expenditure.

The 1000 points on first use is nice (worth $10), but the requirement for 2500 points for redemption means it is immediately not usable. With a little computation it appears one can reach the 2500 points by $750 of spending on groceries, gas, utilities, and you earn in effect 3.33% on the first $750 of these expenditures. While I have cards that do better than that for groceries and gas. I expect eventually to do $750 in utilities rewards.

In my case I chose to write off a few points left on the Arrivals card, and convert to the Rewards card. I was told I could keep using the Arrivals card until the new one arrived, but any rewards would be for the new one (possibly if I wanted to start on earning 3.33% for certain categories.

rated:
Did anyone else receive a post card with an offer to spend $1500/month in Dec, Jan, Feb for 5000 bonus points? I got another one a month later to spend $1500/month in Jan, Feb, March to get 5000 points. Not sure if they will give me both offers(doubt it), but I load $1500 to Serve(Softcard) alone every month so it's easy money. Since this card gives 2.2% bonus, and with the $50 bonus, I will break even if I spend $20K on the Arrival card (i.e. $50 + .2% bonus = $90 makes up for the annual fee) compared to the no fee Citi 2X card. I load $18K/year alone to Serve, the Arrival will be a better deal for me. I have no problem redeeming for travel, going on a Europe cruise in Oct., the no foreign exchange fee will also be a plus. The AF kicks in tomorrow, and I will be staying with Arrival at least for another year.

rated:
Boiler said:   Did anyone else receive a post card with an offer to spend $1500/month in Dec, Jan, Feb for 5000 bonus points? I got another one a month later to spend $1500/month in Jan, Feb, March to get 5000 points. Not sure if they will give me both offers(doubt it), but I load $1500 to Serve(Softcard) alone every month so it's easy money. Since this card gives 2.2% bonus, and with the $50 bonus, I will break even if I spend $20K on the Arrival card (i.e. $50 + .2% bonus = $90 makes up for the annual fee) compared to the no fee Citi 2X card. I load $18K/year alone to Serve, the Arrival will be a better deal for me. I have no problem redeeming for travel, going on a Europe cruise in Oct., the no foreign exchange fee will also be a plus. The AF kicks in tomorrow, and I will be staying with Arrival at least for another year.
  Softcard was just sold to Google, or licensed, but will be shutting down.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2889158/softcard-shuts-down-mobil...

rated:
SUB said:   
Boiler said:   Did anyone else receive a post card with an offer to spend $1500/month in Dec, Jan, Feb for 5000 bonus points? I got another one a month later to spend $1500/month in Jan, Feb, March to get 5000 points. Not sure if they will give me both offers(doubt it), but I load $1500 to Serve(Softcard) alone every month so it's easy money. Since this card gives 2.2% bonus, and with the $50 bonus, I will break even if I spend $20K on the Arrival card (i.e. $50 + .2% bonus = $90 makes up for the annual fee) compared to the no fee Citi 2X card. I load $18K/year alone to Serve, the Arrival will be a better deal for me. I have no problem redeeming for travel, going on a Europe cruise in Oct., the no foreign exchange fee will also be a plus. The AF kicks in tomorrow, and I will be staying with Arrival at least for another year.
  Softcard was just sold to Google, or licensed, but will be shutting down.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2889158/softcard-shuts-down-mobil... 

Interesting, hopefully Amex Serve will continue to allow an extra $500/month load for original Softcard Serve, if not, I guess I will be loading $12K on the regular Serve account  instead of $18K/year.  I will have no trouble with spending an additional $10K+/year on my own.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015