• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I just applied for the card and got deferred (10 days blah blah blah).  I immediately went to the status check page and got this notice:

Currently we are unable to offer you a credit card issued by Barclays Bank Delaware. Details on why we could not make you a credit offer will be mailed to you.

My only previous cards with Barclays were back in the heyday of AORs in 2008.  I took advantage of two cards (iFly and Farm Bureau IIRC) for 0% money.  They did end up shutting down the accounts after a few months since they didn't like my AOR shenanigans (and the credit industry meltdown of 2009), but I continued to make payments and was never late.  I think I was under $10K split between the cards, so not major money from back in the day.

Any ideas if I am now blacklisted with Barclays?  My FICO is 778 (per Discover), I only have two CC apps in the last year (both Chase instant approvals), Amex and Citi keep bumping my limits up even though I don't ask.... so I don't think it is a problem with my credit report. 

rated:
Have you tried calling the reconsideration line?

rated:
You can try calling reconsideration, but they probably won't be able to do anything. It is very hard to get many cards with Barclays (more than 2, in my experience). Even if you close one, it's hard to get a new one. Excuses typically include too much existing credit, too many new inquiries, etc. If you call reconsideration, they will probably tell you that they want to see more regular utilization on your existing cards before they extend new credit (though that will be hard since yours are both closed).

They seem to have a pretty resilient process to weed out churners.

rated:
b534202 said:   
doctorofcredit said:   
b534202 said:   Any ideas to how to cash out about 900 left over points before I cancel?
  Not possible, minimum redemption is 2,500 miles. Why not just quickly earn 1,600 miles from the Barclay Travel Community? If you haven't signed up (+500 points) you'd only need to write 6 stories to redeem another $25.

No, I haven't signed up.  Do they give the miles right away after you write the 6 stories?

They post straight away and should then be transferred to your account the following day. Hope that helps. That being said, it's now only 150 miles per story so you'll need to write a few more. 

rated:
Has anyone been successful at turning off cash advance on this card?

I am planning to open a PNC checking account to get a nice bonus and was intending to use my Barclay Arrival card to fund the account to the tune of $2,000.  I'm told that this should post as a purchase, not a cash advance, but as I've been burned before, I thought I'd call customer service to see about reducing my cash advance limit to $0 or turn off the cash advance feature altogether, thus avoiding an accidental cash advance.  The first CSR I talked to understood exactly what I wanted and she said the credit department should be able to set that up for me and forwarded me.  When the call was answered I explained again what I wanted, that CSR said I was still at the wrong department and forwarded me again.  The CSR who finally took the call explained that they used to allow this, but did not allow it any longer, since it was a permanent change and cash advance could not be turned back on.  I explained that this was exactly what I wanted; I *never* want the cash advance option.  She told me they no longer accommodate that.

Was she just giving me a line of bull?  Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Chris.

rated:
cdancer20 said:   Have you tried calling the reconsideration line?
Not yet - figured I would wait for the letter with the actual reasoning.  I don't need the card.  I currently have zero cards with them as they closed the two I had back in 2009.

The odd thing was that the reject seemed instant - as in < 2 seconds to the deferral screen.  Usually you get a "please wait while we run your credit" screen that takes 10-30 seconds while they pull the credit report.  Makes me think they never actually ran my credit and I'm on an internal blacklist.  I don't see a new inquiry on Credit Karma today, but not sure how quickly they pick up on it and if they pulled the right bureau.

Just curious if anyone else has been blacklisted for AORs from six years back. 

rated:
cpaynter said:   Has anyone been successful at turning off cash advance on this card?

I am planning to open a PNC checking account to get a nice bonus and was intending to use my Barclay Arrival card to fund the account to the tune of $2,000.  I'm told that this should post as a purchase, not a cash advance, but as I've been burned before, I thought I'd call customer service to see about reducing my cash advance limit to $0 or turn off the cash advance feature altogether, thus avoiding an accidental cash advance.  The first CSR I talked to understood exactly what I wanted and she said the credit department should be able to set that up for me and forwarded me.  When the call was answered I explained again what I wanted, that CSR said I was still at the wrong department and forwarded me again.  The CSR who finally took the call explained that they used to allow this, but did not allow it any longer, since it was a permanent change and cash advance could not be turned back on.  I explained that this was exactly what I wanted; I *never* want the cash advance option.  She told me they no longer accommodate that.

Was she just giving me a line of bull?  Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Chris.

Try calling a different rep, I've never had any troubles doing this at all. According to this site PNC + Barclays isn't coded as a cash advance anyway though. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014