• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
cpaynter said:   
AugustFour said:   
cdancer20 said:   
AugustFour said:   i am considering to apply. any catches other than if i apply and spend $1K in 90 days there would be $400 credit?
  Yes.  The minimum spend is now $3k.

thanks, does $400 travel "statement" credit mean cannot be converted to cash?

It can be converted to $400 cash, in the form of a statement credits totaling $400, if you have an equivalent amount of travel-related expenses against which to credit it.

What about a statement credit isn't cash?  

Chris.

Yes.  It will be a statement credit rather than straight cash into your check account.  @Chris, I know that some people like to see the real dollars though in the end the money is of course the same.

rated:
N/M

rated:
tuphat said:   Having gone through the wringer with Barclays on point redemption for statement credit on the NFL card, I will pass on this. They're simply too difficult to deal with.
  I remember that NFL card too.  I'll pass.

rated:
tuphat said:   Having gone through the wringer with Barclays on point redemption for statement credit on the NFL card, I will pass on this. They're simply too difficult to deal with.
  I remember that NFL card too.  I'll pass.

rated:
Anyone double dipping on this card w/success?

rated:
GTFan said:   Anyone double dipping on this card w/success?

Define double dipping.

rated:
Standard cancel and reapply churn after X number of days to get the bonus.  The standard 'one-time bonus for new cardmembers' clause is in the T&C but didn't see too many reports of churning to get another 40k points.

rated:
Hey folks ... this card has a real easy way to get some extra miles without having to deal with an inquiry. An additional card for family, friends, relatives etc comes with a different card number unlike just about every other CC company except for Amex. They didn't even ask for an address, DOB, SSN ... nothing. Just a name.

rated:
Sorry I am dumb at this and would appreciate some guidance.

I have 35,834 points on my Barclays Arrival card. How can I best redeem them if I plan on buying airline gift cards.

Since I get 10% bonus miles upon redemption would buying a $365 and a $36 gift card be the best way to redeem the miles?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

rated:
I currently have two sock-drawered NFL cards with Barclays ($8K CL and $6K CL).  I want to apply for the Arrival card in the next couple of weeks.  Should I cancel one or both NFL cards before applying?

rated:
MsEmptyWallet said:   Sorry I am dumb at this and would appreciate some guidance.

I have 35,834 points on my Barclays Arrival card. How can I best redeem them if I plan on buying airline gift cards.

Since I get 10% bonus miles upon redemption would buying a $365 and a $36 gift card be the best way to redeem the miles?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Do not buy those gift cards!  Barclays makes it very easy to redeem those points.  Just buy the tickets like normal using your Barclays card.  Then after the transaction has posted log into Barclays website and go to the rewards section.  There you will find the different options for making a redemption, and select the one that says redeem for travel. 

All of the transactions that were used on travel will appear there.  All you have to do is click on the transaction you want to be reimbursed for, click confirm 5 or 6 times and then that transaction amount appears as a statement credit on your account.  After you have done it once you will be impressed how simple it is.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   I currently have two sock-drawered NFL cards with Barclays ($8K CL and $6K CL).  I want to apply for the Arrival card in the next couple of weeks.  Should I cancel one or both NFL cards before applying?

I applied for the Arrival while I had two Barclay cards, an NFL with $7K CL and a SallieMae with $15k CL.  Got the Arrival with no issues.

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   I currently have two sock-drawered NFL cards with Barclays ($8K CL and $6K CL).  I want to apply for the Arrival card in the next couple of weeks.  Should I cancel one or both NFL cards before applying?I applied for the Arrival while I had two Barclay cards, an NFL with $7K CL and a SallieMae with $15k CL.  Got the Arrival with no issues.Applied for Arrival+ on Friday PM, got 10 day review message. Called reconsideration line (866-408-4064) this morning. After a couple of verification questions (name, previous address), I was approved for $10K. No mention of me having 2 inactive NFL cards. Hopefully the card gets here in time to make the final payment on my TA cruise (due early next week).

rated:
Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster.

Came on here to report that I called about getting my annual fee waived, and unsurprisingly, based on everyone's experiences here I've read, it was deeeee-nied. They did offer to either downgrade it to the regular, no-fee Arrival or the Barclays Rewards card, both of which would offer 1,000 sign-up points. The Rewards card is 2% for gas, groceries, and utilities, 1% for everything else, and no 10% redemption bonus.

Since I already have a Chase Freedom for my gas (quarterly) and B of A Cash Rewards for groceries at 2% and gas @ 3% (when it's not Chase's turn), I will probably stick with the regular Arrival card. Even though I don't anticipate as much travel as I did when I had the Arrival Plus, at least it'll come in handy for the restaurant category. Does anyone know if public transportation still qualifies as "travel" on the downgraded version?

I might try again to get the annual fee waived, but I'm not expecting anything differently. I'd rather not threaten to cancel and they call my bluff because I'm working on getting a mortgage, and this card has my largest credit limit, though it's the newest of my miniature collection.

Or, I may just pay the fee and keep it because I would have to re-apply to get it upgraded again. How did everyone else who has (or had) this card make this decision?

And now that I've just bored you all to tears with my long post, back to lurking I go!

rated:
anyone able to get a 2nd arrival and bonus with a 1st still open?

rated:
blankstare28 said:   Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster.

Came on here to report that I called about getting my annual fee waived, and unsurprisingly, based on everyone's experiences here I've read, it was deeeee-nied. They did offer to either downgrade it to the regular, no-fee Arrival or the Barclays Rewards card, both of which would offer 1,000 sign-up points. The Rewards card is 2% for gas, groceries, and utilities, 1% for everything else, and no 10% redemption bonus.

Since I already have a Chase Freedom for my gas (quarterly) and B of A Cash Rewards for groceries at 2% and gas @ 3% (when it's not Chase's turn), I will probably stick with the regular Arrival card. Even though I don't anticipate as much travel as I did when I had the Arrival Plus, at least it'll come in handy for the restaurant category. Does anyone know if public transportation still qualifies as "travel" on the downgraded version?

I might try again to get the annual fee waived, but I'm not expecting anything differently. I'd rather not threaten to cancel and they call my bluff because I'm working on getting a mortgage, and this card has my largest credit limit, though it's the newest of my miniature collection.

Or, I may just pay the fee and keep it because I would have to re-apply to get it upgraded again. How did everyone else who has (or had) this card make this decision?

And now that I've just bored you all to tears with my long post, back to lurking I go!

OK, I'll bore you with a longer story.

DW and I each have Arrival cards; her first year was up August 4; mine is up in January.  I had DW call before August 4 to ask about fee waiver, was denied.  CSR offered conversion to a non-named fee-free card, but suggested we wait until everything cleared so points on pending transactions would be posted before conversion (only posted points would transfer to the new account).  

All pending transactions posted within a couple of days, but I decided to procrastinate, in part because we had participated in a 5k bonus points offer and we were awaiting those bonus points.  As of August 28, the annual fee hadn't been charged yet, apparently because no transactions had been made in the new year.  Then on the 29th, an errant authorization hit the account (and has subsequently dropped off), and that was apparently enough to trigger the annual fee.  Called again and spoke to a CSR who agreed to reverse the annual fee and convert us to a fee-free card.  She offered the same two options as others have reported: the fee-free Arrival or the "Everyday" card: 2% off gas, grocery, utilities.  We opted for the everyday card.  She assured us that all points would transfer to the new card, and that I should also expect the 5k points from the promotion to appear on the new account (I have my doubts, but now that I've had a CSR tell me they should be awarded, I should be able to get another CSR to adjust my account if they don't show up).

We decided that it wasn't worth it to pay the A/F to keep the Arrival+ because:
1. We have the Fidelity AmEx for 2% off everything (where AmEx is accepted, which is most places)
2. At the few places where AmEx isn't accepted, we have Visa or M/C's that approach 2%, or we're meeting some opening bonus spending requirement or participating in a promo of some sort

We decided on the "Everyday" card because it includes utilities at 2%, and neither our gas nor electric utilities accept AmEx, only MC/Visa/Discover.  So it fills in that gap nicely.  I don't care about the gas/grocery; I always get 5.5% or better on those anyway.  The fee-free Arrival doesn't really do anything for me; I already get 5% or better on dining and 2% or better on travel.

When my Arrival+ is up for renewal in January, I plan to convert that one as well, probably to the fee-free Arrival, just for variety, unless something more interesting has popped up in the meantime.

Chris.

rated:
should change the title from - Barclays Arrival Card $400 Credit After $1000 Spend in 90 days

to Barclays Arrival Card $400 Credit After $3000 Spend in 90 days

rated:
Dumb question. I've read the thread and I'm not sure I understand.

To get the max points, do I need to spend $1k on travel, or $400 on travel and $600 on non-travel?

rated:
Spending can be on anything. It's redemptions that are more efficient when they're related to travel.

rated:
erinm said:   Dumb question. I've read the thread and I'm not sure I understand.

To get the max points, do I need to spend $1k on travel, or $400 on travel and $600 on non-travel?

Note ... to get the 40,000 point bonus, you need to spend $3,000 in 90 days.  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014