• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
tmonkey said:   He had taken it to a local shop and the quote was $2,500+
How many dents did your friend have ?

a car like that is a nice one,, and for that price its even nicer,, you could find a private repair guy and pdr it ,, but first make the guy your friend ,, invite him some beers,, it works i was in holland and there happend somthing like that,, soo i helped my cousin with this,, and we got it done for a FRIENDLY price,,, if you have the time and the $$ get it fixed ,, a girl loves a well mantained car,, it says somthing about the driver,, yes.

pianomaster said:   cruisencode said:   pianomaster said:   DesiVibe said:   pianomaster said:   cruisencode said:   

Wait, are you saying that if you fixed the car it would be worth $14,500? And are you saying that it would cost about $2,000 to fix it? If so, you paid exactly what the car is worth ($14,500 - $2,000 = $12,500).

That's a trade-in value. Private and retail is much more. I am not a dealer, I needed a car. Good luck in buying this car (all fixed) for $14500.

Cocky arent we? Yes almighty you got a steal

You are right, that came as cocky, but it was in response to somebody not knowing what s/he is talking about and comparing oranges with apples...

There's no need to be an ass. You stated that you paid $12,500. You also stated that you think it will cost $2,000 to repair. You also stated "If fixed, around $14500 - 15000". Notice I asked if this was correct. I was not "comparing" anything.

Oh, and after 5 minutes of searching I found this.

Good, I am glad you found another car that seems to be a great deal overall. Except you are missing to add the tax and all the other stuff, plus in this case shipping. So this 15000 (which is a great deal) will actually come more like 17K at least.
The 14500 I was mentioning is TRADE-IN value.
Ass, I am not, cocky - maybe. But you certainly seem to have an agenda (jealousy?!) to prove me that my deal is not good...And that actually is not the main discussion, but what make sense to do next.

Lol, anyone rebutting with a jealousy clause shows true colors.

Seriously - jealous of a Passat?

I don't think anyone here is jealous you got a Passat bro..

In the end though- only you will know the answer to the OP.

If you think you got a good deal, then it's a good deal.

A few years ago there was a severe hail storm in my neck of the woods, and my brand new car, and my brother's two brand new cars all suffered fairly substantial hail damage. They were all covered under our insurance, but we decided not to fix them and traded the cars in not long after the damage. The extra depreciation at the trade-in was painful, but not as bad as expected.

Anyway...after going to several body.shops at the time for estimates, I discovered that hail repaired damaged dents sometimes (too often) pop back out months, or even longer, after the repair. That's what some of the experts told me. And there's not much that can be done about it. Some dealers won't touch a hail damage repaired car because it's just not worth the possible customer dissatisfaction. Of if they do take it in on trade, they immediately send it to auction.

You can try the ice repair method, but I predict it won't work.

Having said all that, the Passat is a nice car and I agree that you seem to have bought it at a good price.

cga said:    I discovered that hail repaired damaged dents sometimes (too often) pop back out months, or even longer, after the repair. That's what some of the experts told me. And there's not much that can be done about it. Some dealers won't touch a hail damage repaired car because it's just not worth the possible customer dissatisfaction. Of if they do take it in on trade, they immediately send it to auction.

Yup. That's why you see hail cars declared total losses for insurance purposes.

There are numerous kinds of hail marks that can't be repaired easily or effectively.

Not saying OP got a bad deal. Just saying I'm not envious of his good deal.

Don't put any money into it. That'd be pointless. If you were gonna drop 2k into it, you should have just bought one that didn't have hail damage.

Dealer reeled him in like a fish

BobM73 said:   Mythbusters proved conclusively that a car dimpled like a golf ball gets better fuel economy than an undimpled car.

I'd consider the car to be in "better than new" condition and price accordingly!

Link please!

I have a couple of random questions:

1. You said the title is clean, right?
2. Do you have collision and comprehensive?
3. If yes to #2, what happens in terms of insurance coverage if another hail hits the car?
4. Same as #3, but after you fix it.

Personally, I think it is not worth putting money into it.

Part of the value of the car is that it is in much better mechanical shape than cosmetic, and you got a discount for that reason.

tolamapS said:   I have a couple of random questions:

1. You said the title is clean, right?
2. Do you have collision and comprehensive?
3. If yes to #2, what happens in terms of insurance coverage if another hail hits the car?
4. Same as #3, but after you fix it.

1. Yes
2. No (not yet)
3. Don't know
4. Same as 3.

Our 2002 Explorer was caught in a hail storm a few years back. The insurance company paid us $7k to repair the damage. That was only a little less than the car was worth per kbb. We weighed our options and decided to fix the windshield and lights but bank the rest of the cash. Now the care is worth even less, the banked money is worth even more, and we have a great story to tell whenever we pull our camper into a campground.

If you can live with the dimples and plan to drive the car for a long time, this is a no brainer. If you fret over the dimples, this is a no brainer. If you plan to flip the car, you have to calculate the cost of repair vs the impact on selling price.

OP

You got a good deal on a mechanically almost new car. Who cares what it looks like. Most True Fatwalleters would aggree. At least those of us with older Crown Vics....

Drive it into the ground and enjoy enjoy your savings.

tolamapS said:   Personally, I think it is not worth putting money into it.

Part of the value of the car is that it is in much better mechanical shape than cosmetic, and you got a discount for that reason.

Agreed. I'd be proud to have that car

It really depends if YOU care what other people think or not. The only drawback to the dents is visually... do you care what other people think when they see you geting out of a car that looks like it drove through a Golf driving range or not.

I think if you got an independant Body Shop to fix the car for say 2grand, you would get most of that value back out of the car in the end when you go to resale.

robstahl21 said:   when they see you geting out of a car that looks like it drove through a Golf driving range or not
It can save you money. Valet personnel will never expect much of a tip !

If you have any dents that damaged the paint to the point where rust will form then get those repaired now regardless of the other damage.

If you are one that maintains a car and tries to keep it fairly nice then you may want to get a few estimates and get it fixed now (depending on costs). If you don't care and/or don't plan on maintaining the car then you bought a newish beater cheap and will resell it cheap. You will eventually want to sell/trade the car. When you do, the damage will make it harder to get rid of and make it worth less.

We had hail damage on a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee a few years back. Insurance coverage was $7500 or so to repair. Paintless dent repair of "hundreds" of dimples. Roof and hood were both replaced as it was more cost effective than PDR.

Not sure how bad your damage is, but the $2k to repair value flying around may be WAY less than it will actually cost to repair.

Piano master ,

I think you made a very good deal, don't listen to the haters,

Z

So what's the verdict on the new Passat? I'm a VW guy from way back and absolutely hated the look of the car but I'm warming to it.

I wonder if the fact the car was built in US makes it easier to get hail damage. A few years ago I had an F150 and a German made passat get caught in hail. The F150 looked like it sat in a golf driving range, the Passat had 5 or 6 dings only where the metal was 90 degree angle to the hail. I think they use thicker steel in Germany...perhaps why the Tiger was such a badass tank?

RidicuRuss said:   Maybe you could drive around too slowly and try to bait people into tailgating and then do a brake check.

As tempting as it sounds to both make bank and teach a teenager a lesson i always think about the unintended consequences that could happen. Like a panicked teen driver swerving off the road to avoid hitting you and taking out a family of five out for a walk. EEKKK ..... thats not good for the conscience.

As for OP .... PICS ??
but id prolly just drive it as reliability is more important for me than looks.

Hey PM let's see some pics?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014