• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello all,
I managed to snag an awesome deal on VW Passat 2012, 2.5 S, with only 12000 miles. Only problem - average hail damage (can be seen everywhere, each dent is the size of a quoter or less, hundreds of them, not a scratch on any glass part, doesn't look the paint is damaged).
Here is the good part-- got it for only $12500 OOD! ($11300 plus tax etc.)
Retail with no damage should be around $19K. Private with no damage roughly $17000.
The lowest trade in in rough condition (I guess as it's considered now) is 13500. If fixed, around $14500 - 15000.

The question is shall I repair or not. I like everything about this car. I am likely to keep it for x number of years. Still has 2 y. 24K miles on manufacturer guaranty (with even the oil changes included). A friend-professional suggested to drive as it is, and only repair IF I decide to sell it later. But I am thinking why would I repair it for somebody else, instead of fixing now and basically have a new car, inside and out.

Please share what do you think. What is the best solution from a financial point of view.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
So what's the verdict on the new Passat? I'm a VW guy from way back and absolutely hated the look of the car but I'm wa... (more)

kriskos4 (May. 11, 2013 @ 5:49p) |

As tempting as it sounds to both make bank and teach a teenager a lesson i always think about the unintended consequence... (more)

owenscott (May. 12, 2013 @ 1:03a) |

Hey PM let's see some pics?

Zach12 (May. 14, 2013 @ 1:36p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

DO you have any sense of what it would cost to repair?

stock FWF responses

no, drive it into the ground
derp derp Crown Vic derp
flip for quick profit

did I miss anything?

With a technique called PDR which does not require re-painting, I was told by a friend that it can be around $2000. But don't have yet real estimate.

Just drive it....

Mythbusters proved conclusively that a car dimpled like a golf ball gets better fuel economy than an undimpled car.

I'd consider the car to be in "better than new" condition and price accordingly!

Doesn't hurt to get a quote. The amount spent will increase your re-sale value, but not by the amount of the repair bill. The amount it increases will be entirely dependent upon how long you plan on owning the car. If the difference in the repair and the increase in blue-book is worth not driving around in a hail dented car, the repair the car. Otherwise, don't.

Personally, I get value driving around a car that doesn't look like shit. But, it's most likely not strictly a sound financial decision.

BobM73 said:   Mythbusters proved conclusively that a car dimpled like a golf ball gets better fuel economy than an undimpled car.

I'd consider the car to be in "better than new" condition and price accordingly!

Are you looking to buy a car? I am sure we will agree on the selling price.

That's a lot of PDR, but if fixed could fetch a good sum.

You could get those bullet hole stickers and put one over each dimple.

Or get a golf ball car wrap.

Did you buy it in Mississippi? We recently had hail storms here

Squeezer99 said:   Did you buy it in Mississippi? We recently had hail storms here
No.

chester215 said:   You could get those bullet hole stickers and put one over each dimple.

Interesting, usually the maturity level at the Finance forum is higher...

pianomaster said:   Hello all,
I managed to snag an awesome deal on VW Passat 2012, 2.5 S, with only 12000 miles. Only problem - average hail damage (can be seen everywhere, each dent is the size of a quoter or less, hundreds of them, not a scratch on any glass part, doesn't look the paint is damaged).
Here is the good part-- got it for only $12500 OOD! ($11300 plus tax etc.)
Retail with no damage should be around $19K. Private with no damage roughly $17000.
The lowest trade in in rough condition (I guess as it's considered now) is 13500. If fixed, around $14500 - 15000.

The question is shall I repair or not. I like everything about this car. I am likely to keep it for x number of years. Still has 2 y. 24K miles on manufacturer guaranty (with even the oil changes included). A friend-professional suggested to drive as it is, and only repair IF I decide to sell it later. But I am thinking why would I repair it for somebody else, instead of fixing now and basically have a new car, inside and out.

Please share what do you think. What is the best solution from a financial point of view.

Wait, are you saying that if you fixed the car it would be worth $14,500? And are you saying that it would cost about $2,000 to fix it? If so, you paid exactly what the car is worth ($14,500 - $2,000 = $12,500).

paintless dent removal. use Yelp or google to find some. they can be highly inexpensive. i use guy for door dings etc whenever i need him and he just drives out to my car and fixes it while i work.

Get some repair quotes from body shops in your area to see how much it'll cost to fix it -- they may not be able to PDR the entire car

Drive it around for few months to see if you're fine with it as is -- if not then get it fixed

Another option would be to keep an eye out on eBay and junk yards (car-part.com) for a year or 2 to see if you can find a hood & trunk lid in good condition. If you're lucky then something will turn up that's the same color as your car so no repainting will be needed -- if you can replace the hood & trunk lid then you just have to get the roof fixed

If there's also damage to the sides then I wouldn't bother with it -- your car will get dings/dents from parking lots and if you live in an area where hail is common from time to time then your car will probably end up with hail damage in the future

If it were me, I would just leave the car as is and maintain it properly -- even if you decide to sell it in the future then I'm sure you can sell the car privately for a decent price as long as you keep up with the maintenance

cruisencode said:   

Wait, are you saying that if you fixed the car it would be worth $14,500? And are you saying that it would cost about $2,000 to fix it? If so, you paid exactly what the car is worth ($14,500 - $2,000 = $12,500).

That's a trade-in value. Private and retail is much more. I am not a dealer, I needed a car. Good luck in buying this car (all fixed) for $14500.

pianomaster said:   chester215 said:   You could get those bullet hole stickers and put one over each dimple.

You must be new around here.

Do some poking around and find the best paintless dent repair guy you can.
He could probably get out 80%+ of them for like $500 in a day. Leave the rest.

pianomaster said:   cruisencode said:   

That's a trade-in value. Private and retail is much more. I am not a dealer, I needed a car. Good luck in buying this car (all fixed) for $14500.

No thanks, wouldn't want that car.

pianomaster said:   cruisencode said:   

Cocky arent we? Yes almighty you got a steal

Try this DIY on a couple of dents and see how it works before going to a Body Shop..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0UAUBE-Hmg

pianomaster said:   chester215 said:   You could get those bullet hole stickers and put one over each dimple.

I agree, the wrap suggestion would be more appropriate if it was a VW Golf.

From my personal recent research, if the car can be fixed inexpensively for a gain prior to sale, the previous owner (dealership) would have done it. The amount of damage you are describing can probably not be repaired with PDR.

Furthermore, if you carry full coverage, they will always discount your reimbursement due to the previous damage/claim.

I could be completely wrong! I was planning to buy for as good a deal I could negotiate, fix whatever I could myself, and drive it into the ground.

pianomaster said:   BobM73 said:   Mythbusters proved conclusively that a car dimpled like a golf ball gets better fuel economy than an undimpled car.

I do have a brother in law that does PDR. Was this a one-off deal or do you have a connection?

BobM73 said:   pianomaster said:   BobM73 said:   Mythbusters proved conclusively that a car dimpled like a golf ball gets better fuel economy than an undimpled car.

I do have a brother in law that does PDR. Was this a one-off deal or do you have a connection?

No connection, just went with cash one hour before closing at the last day of the month. Sensed they were desperate to sell and for a joke offered 12500 OOD, then stayed firm and ready to leave when they tried to convince me that price is impossible. Anyhow...What does your brother thinks of the real average price of PDR?

DesiVibe said:   pianomaster said:   cruisencode said:   

You are right, that came as cocky, but it was in response to somebody not knowing what s/he is talking about and comparing oranges with apples...

Sounds like you got an average deal at best

A 2012MY came out in 2011. So you got a 2 year old car with 6k miles/yr which is low wear.

You paid 12.5k for a 19k car that needs about 1-2k in repairs to make it like new. So if you repaired it, you would have 14.5k invested on a car that goes for 19k.

Since the major depreciation has already hit, you could keep it for 12-24-36 months and
a). repair it and enjoy a like-new car for that time and then sell it
b). not repair it and enjoy a car that you will have to stare at all those dents everyday and then struggle to sell it

Either way you won't make money, but the residual value would be more than enough to get a good 1-3 years out of it and recoup most of your money back while you enjoyed a reliable car in the interim.

AlanTheWoo said:   Sounds like you got an average deal at best

A 2012MY came out in 2011. So you got a 2 year old car with 6k miles/yr which is low wear.

You paid 12.5k for a 19k car that needs about 1-2k in repairs to make it like new. So if you repaired it, you would have 14.5k invested on a car that goes for 19k.

Since the major depreciation has already hit, you could keep it for 12-24-36 months and
a). repair it and enjoy a like-new car for that time and then sell it
b). not repair it and enjoy a car that you will have to stare at all those dents everyday and then struggle to sell it

Either way you won't make money, but the residual value would be more than enough to get a good 1-3 years out of it and recoup most of your money back while you enjoyed a reliable car in the interim.

The car was actually initially bought in 2012 and is really exactly one year old. New was about $24000 w taxes and all. One year old and with 12K miles on it is retail around 19K w/out tax, which means around $20800 Where I live. Thanks for sharing your opinion for best use though...

pianomaster said:   DesiVibe said:   pianomaster said:   cruisencode said:   

You are right, that came as cocky, but it was in response to somebody not knowing what s/he is talking about and comparing oranges with apples...

There's no need to be an ass. You stated that you paid $12,500. You also stated that you think it will cost $2,000 to repair. You also stated "If fixed, around $14500 - 15000". Notice I asked if this was correct. I was not "comparing" anything.

Oh, and after 5 minutes of searching I found this.

cruisencode said:   pianomaster said:   DesiVibe said:   pianomaster said:   cruisencode said:   

There's no need to be an ass. You stated that you paid $12,500. You also stated that you think it will cost $2,000 to repair. You also stated "If fixed, around $14500 - 15000". Notice I asked if this was correct. I was not "comparing" anything.

Oh, and after 5 minutes of searching I found this.

Good, I am glad you found another car that seems to be a great deal overall. Except you are missing to add the tax and all the other stuff, plus in this case shipping. So this 15000 (which is a great deal) will actually come more like 17K at least.
The 14500 I was mentioning is TRADE-IN value.
Ass, I am not, cocky - maybe. But you certainly seem to have an agenda (jealousy?!) to prove me that my deal is not good...And that actually is not the main discussion, but what make sense to do next.

pianomaster said:   Good, I am glad you found another car that seems to be a great deal overall. Except you are missing to add the tax and all the other stuff, plus in this case shipping. So this 15000 (which is a great deal) will actually come more like 17K at least.
The 14500 I was mentioning is TRADE-IN value.
Ass, I am not, cocky - maybe. But you certainly seem to have an agenda (jealousy?!) to prove me that my deal is not good...And that actually is not the main discussion, but what make sense to do next.

I have no agenda and I'm not jealous of your Passat with hundreds of dents. I asked a few questions and you got snarky. Anyway, enjoy your new car.

OP you got a smokin deal!! Don't listen to the fools in this thread trying to say you got an average or poor deal. They are just jealous they missed out.

I just looked into fixing some hail damage on a friend's car. A quick google search suggested leaving it in the sun for a few hours and a lot of them should pop out by themselves as the metal expands. With summer coming soon he decided to wait. (He had taken it to a local shop and the quote was $2,500+ on a car with 170k miles - no way was he spending that!).
http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-Hail-Damage

I'm curious, did you get the car with a clean title or salvage title? If you got it with a salvage title, you'll be lucky to sell it even repaired for what you have in it. If you like the car, I'd fix it, drive it for a decade and enjoy.

mwa423 said:   I'm curious, did you get the car with a clean title or salvage title? If you got it with a salvage title, you'll be lucky to sell it even repaired for what you have in it. If you like the car, I'd fix it, drive it for a decade and enjoy.
Perfectly clean title.

If you are "lucky" you might get hailed on again or damaged in an accident and have insurance pay to redo it all. Maybe you could drive around too slowly and try to bait people into tailgating and then do a brake check. Watch the weather reports and definately take it outside if there is a chance of hail.

tmonkey said:   A quick google search suggested leaving it in the sun for a few hours and a lot of them should pop out by themselves as the metal expandsAnd I thought all the popping I heard was gunshots

Skipping 23 Messages...
Hey PM let's see some pics?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.