• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I went to H&R Block and left with all my documents. The H&R Block staff member entered all numbers and spend 1.5 hours in the system. Actually the staff member was quite good, but the fee was just very expensive. Also I found that Turbo Tax can do almost same at much cheaper price. The staff member also mentioned that I don't have to it with H&R Block. But they have all my information including SSN, etc, and I signed some forms during the data entry, which I don't remember what they were.

If I decide to do it with Turbo Tax, should I still pay H&R Block? I have all my documents.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Doesnt look like you are capable of handling this on your own. Just get it done with H&R Block. Or for $400-$500, you co... (more)

fw101 (Apr. 10, 2013 @ 8:33p) |

Have it done with a real tax professional if you must. But don't do it with H&R Block. They make mistakes that even the ... (more)

gacobacov (Apr. 10, 2013 @ 8:51p) |

Dang, I haven't been pwnd like that in a long time

jwillgoesfast (Apr. 11, 2013 @ 3:40p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What exactly was your purpose of going to HRB and wasting 1.5 hours of both of your time. A simple enquiry about their fee in the beginning could have saved a lot of trouble.

Nope, they didn't file.

HRBlock doesn't tell you prior to finishing. They charge by the page.

I know... I should have asked earlier... I feel bad... But again, should I pay?

What a ridiculous question.

You signed some forms but you don't know what they were?..

You're gonna pay, one way or another.

feel bad? if you signed something you are probably paying. no point in feeling bad it's just business. but that's a lot of wasted time for nothing. zcxvihoda said:   I know... I should have asked earlier... I feel bad... But again, should I pay?

PYBDB

Yes, I think you should pay H&R Block and have them submit your taxes.
You made the mistake by not checking on the fee!

If you signed some forms, you probably already agreed to pay. Why didn;t you keep a ciopy of what you signed?

First time getting help from a tax professional, learning a lot. I signed some form (my bad that I don't remember) in the middle of the data entry. When I was leaving with all my documents, I was told that the staff can't give me the printed out tax forms, because I didn't pay. The staff printed some tax forms to test this and that scenarios. While testing this and that scenarios (filing jointly, separately, etc) I had to sign the form in each scenario test. I wouldn't expect that each time I agreed to pay for each scenario, which would include fees for un-filed scenarios. Maybe it's better to ask directly...

http://taxes.about.com/od/findataxpreparer/a/prices.htm
This page says the average H&R Block fee was $192 per return, but it was about $400. If it were $200, I would be happy to pay.

How are you sure you could do it yourself accurately with TurboTax? Not implying you cannot, but if it is a complex return with less common forms then there may be some amount of learning curve or time needed to read the tax instructions. TurboTax isn't perfect for more complex situations.

Why not pay for H&R Block this year and then use it as a mirror/guide/check next year to do it yourself with TurboTax?

-edit, saw your most recent reply
Is H&R Block trying to bill per page with each hypothetical scenario included? I.e. if your total return is 10 pages, they are billing you for 10 pages for filing married separate, then another 10 pages jointly?

Jahlapenoez said:   
Is H&R Block trying to bill per page with each hypothetical scenario included? I.e. if your total return is 10 pages, they are billing you for 10 pages for filing married separate, then another 10 pages jointly?

I don't think so. I was told that with one scenario it's gonna be $400, with another it's $500. Of course with $500 the return amount was bigger. (actually, the due amount was less...)

Jahlapenoez said:   
Why not pay for H&R Block this year and then use it as a mirror/guide/check next year to do it yourself with TurboTax?

Don't do it.

I had the same idea a few years ago and now I am regretting it. They are so incompetent that they screwed up my returns on multiple levels. I had to learn everything by myself and wasted lots of additional time with them for amending returns. Even worse, I had to explain it to them and tell them what to do in order to get everything fixed. They should be paying me, for pete's sake!

I do agree with Jahiapenoez if it is a complex return you can really lose lots of money doing on Turbo Tax..Or if its not a hard return why not do it with H&R Block software or maybe free on H&R Block.COM

Late April Fools?

gacobacov said:   
Don't do it.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Can I not do it? I hope I can avoid any fee with H&R Block.

qcumber98 said:   Late April Fools?

LOL. Indeed. How foolish is my question and behavior...

So someone did work for you and you are questioning whether they should be paid or not? That's the most ridiculous thing I've read on here in awhile. When you get your car worked on do you get a quote first, or just wait with baited breath until they present you with a bill?

suezyque said:   So someone did work for you and you are questioning whether they should be paid or not? That's the most ridiculous thing I've read on here in awhile. When you get your car worked on do you get a quote first, or just wait with baited breath until they present you with a bill?

You are very true. I'm asking this question, because the H&R Block staff mentioned that I don't have to do it with H&R Block. I should have asked more at that point about the fee when I don't do it with H&R Block, but I didn't ask.

suezyque said:   So someone did work for you and you are questioning whether they should be paid or not? That's the most ridiculous thing I've read on here in awhile. When you get your car worked on do you get a quote first, or just wait with baited breath until they present you with a bill?

English lesson. Apologies for the snark, but it gets under my skin like people who say "could care less."

zcxvihoda said:   Jahlapenoez said:   

I don't think so. I was told that with one scenario it's gonna be $400, with another it's $500. Of course with $500 the return amount was bigger. (actually, the due amount was less...)

How come ? Do you understand the scenarios ? Why is the amount due less on the more expensive scenario ?

If you can't answer this question you are probably not ready yet for doing it yourself or at a minimum you did not pay attention.

I agree with the others, they worked for you, you most probably signed some paperwork already that requires you to pay so just pay up. Its a lesson learned and maybe next year you are able to to it yourself. Also H&R Block hires people from the street to do your returns in tax season. I knew somebody that was just out of a job in February starting with them for a couple weeks. No previous tax experience and just some very basic training.

GermanExpat said:   zcxvihoda said:   Jahlapenoez said:   

How come ? Do you understand the scenarios ? Why is the amount due less on the more expensive scenario ?

If you can't answer this question you are probably not ready yet for doing it yourself or at a minimum you did not pay attention.

I agree with the others, they worked for you, you most probably signed some paperwork already that requires you to pay so just pay up. Its a lesson learned and maybe next year you are able to to it yourself. Also H&R Block hires people from the street to do your returns in tax season. I knew somebody that was just out of a job in February starting with them for a couple weeks. No previous tax experience and just some very basic training.

Sorry for the confusion. With the more expensive fee scenario, the tax due is less. My federal tax withholding was too small, so I owe the federal tax.

Tell them you are going to Liberty Tax because they have a guy dressed like the Statute of Liberty out front of their shop and HR Block does not.

troll... so here is my response.

wake up tomorrow morning and go f'n pay this. have them efile. you are done with your taxes for 2012

come home and log into fatwallet. then delete your account. never post here again. go to slickdeals and troll there.

H&R Block has one tax professional overseeing a bunch of data entry clerks typing your tax information into their software and charging you an arm and a leg. Or you could buy the H&R Block software, do it yourself, and save hundreds of dollars.

dhodson said:   What a ridiculous question.What exactly was the question?

Wasn't this exact story posted last year?

Last night my GF and I went out for dinner at a really nice restaurant. We ordered appetizers, entrees, dessert and even had a bottle of wine. When the bill came, we were surprised by how much it was. I guess we really should have paid attention to the price of everything as we were ordering. Anyways, I felt like the $200 bill was too much, after all my GF and I could have gone to McDonald's and ate there for $10 instead. I didn't pay the bill and walked out of the restaurant. Is this OK?

nasheedb said:   Last night my GF and I went out for dinner at a really nice restaurant. We ordered appetizers, entrees, dessert and even had a bottle of wine. When the bill came, we were surprised by how much it was. I guess we really should have paid attention to the price of everything as we were ordering. Anyways, I felt like the $200 bill was too much, after all my GF and I could have gone to McDonald's and ate there for $10 instead. I didn't pay the bill and walked out of the restaurant. Is this OK?

The restaurant didn't tell you that you can still go home and eat home-made food. H&R Block told me so. That's why I'm asking.

I don't know why everyone is so hard on the OP. If this is H&R Blocks business model, why shouldn't he take advantage of it. IMHO, $500 is too much to pay a non-EA/CPA to do your taxes.

H&R Blocks fees aren't very transparent. They charge based on how many forms they end up filing.

OP, do you have any complex situations? Are you confident that you can file correctly on Turb0Tax?

Although I've never wanted to go to these "fast food" tax places, when I was at WalMart and saw the "tax professional" behind the desk helping someone was the same lady who had been my cashier at big lots the day before, I couldn't help but feel bad for anyone who would pay for that tax service.

If you want someone else to do your taxes, hire a CPA who specializes in that area. My mother-in-law did just that for ten years until she died. Her situation was rather complex, with income from trust funds, bonds, dividends, insurance policies, a pension. The CPA charged $600 per year and I think it was a bargain. Plus the fees are deductable on the next year's forms.
Avoid these storefront operations as I do not think their employees are well versed in the nuances. Turbo Tax is too complicated.
I still prepare the tax forms for my husband and myself the old fashioned way - pencil and calculator. Of course, ours are much simpler than that of MIL.

It has been 10 years since I worked at HR Block, but at that time we did not require you to pay unless we filed the return. It happened pretty frequently that someone would leave and not pay after finding out how much it would cost after we did all of the data entry. It's Block's stupid policy of us not being allowed to give an official estimate of fees. We could only say that the fee varied depending on the complexity of your return and they would send in secret shoppers to test what we were telling customers about fees. As long as they haven't changed the payment policy (we did not have anyone sign anything at all), then I wouldn't feel bad about not paying - it happened all the time.

ETA - I 2nd the recommendation to go to a private CPA. I was an accountant by training, but many of the other "tax prep experts" were homemakers, retail clerks, and others who sat through the class to get the job. The test we took to get hired was a joke and the instructor was pretty much helping the slackers answer the questions. They pay so poorly that anyone who is really good at it is going to work for a CPA firm after seeing what a joke Block is (that's what I did). Good luck!

jwillgoesfast said:   Although I've never wanted to go to these "fast food" tax places, when I was at WalMart and saw the "tax professional" behind the desk helping someone was the same lady who had been my cashier at big lots the day before, I couldn't help but feel bad for anyone who would pay for that tax service.

Wow you were very lucky to get checked out by such an overqualified cashier. Thats like Donald Trump himself working the registration desk at one of his hotels!
You shouldn't feel sorry for people if you can be seen at WalMart one day and Big Lots the next lol.

BrianGa said:   dhodson said:   What a ridiculous question.What exactly was the question?

The title of the post.

"I went to H&R Block and should I pay?"

skansiewicz said:   Wasn't this exact story posted last year?

I hope not.

milkandcookies said:   skansiewicz said:   Wasn't this exact story posted last year?

I hope not.

Yes.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1174744/

zcxvihoda here, straight from their website.

Our Guarantees

"The dedication and expertise of our Tax Professionals is yours when you file your return and after. You will have our 100% Accuracy Guarantee and a commitment to supporting you in the unlikely event of an audit.

Our Tax Professionals believe service is everything. That's why we have a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. That means you don't pay unless you're satisfied with our work. Even if you had your tax return prepared somewhere else, you can still experience the best Tax Professionals at work. Just come in and get a Free Second Look« Review1. We'll check your returns going back one, two or three years (any or all) for any missed tax deductions or credits. We find money others miss."

so to answer your question, NO you don't have to pay if your not happy

Skipping 23 Messages...
OliverQuackenbush said:   jwillgoesfast said:   Although I've never wanted to go to these "fast food" tax places, when I was at WalMart and saw the "tax professional" behind the desk helping someone was the same lady who had been my cashier at big lots the day before, I couldn't help but feel bad for anyone who would pay for that tax service.

Wow you were very lucky to get checked out by such an overqualified cashier. Thats like Donald Trump himself working the registration desk at one of his hotels!
You shouldn't feel sorry for people if you can be seen at WalMart one day and Big Lots the next lol.

Dang, I haven't been pwnd like that in a long time

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014