Chase waived gift card fees

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1234 5
  • Text Only
SegaRob said:   i dont have a WalMart nearby. i guess the next best thing is to get a money order? what's the best/cheapest place for money order? post office? TIA
  Won't work at the post office.  You best bet is to try some grocery stores as they often provide them and cheaper than the post office to boot.

sechs said:   
mattun said:   I tried to use a Chase gift card at the counter to reload a BB and it kept rejecting the gift card's PIN( Kiosk was "broken"... stuck on the waiting for Approval screen and they didn't want to fix it, but nobody was in line). Is that normal? First time I've ever gone to the counter.
  I loaded to cards at registers today with no problem. 

Make sure that your card is properly activated and that you have the correct PIN.  There have been several cases of people calling in to activate their cards and the process somehow not completing correctly.

I noticed my cards weren't working the day after I activated them on the kiosk.  I've been waiting 24 hours since.

secstate said:   
SegaRob said:   i dont have a WalMart nearby. i guess the next best thing is to get a money order? what's the best/cheapest place for money order? post office? TIA
  Won't work at the post office.  You best bet is to try some grocery stores as they often provide them and cheaper than the post office to boot.

I just figured that out for myself. PO is pretty cheap. Anyone know where to go in NYC?

mattun said:   
sechs said:   
mattun said:   I tried to use a Chase gift card at the counter to reload a BB and it kept rejecting the gift card's PIN( Kiosk was "broken"... stuck on the waiting for Approval screen and they didn't want to fix it, but nobody was in line). Is that normal? First time I've ever gone to the counter.
  I loaded to cards at registers today with no problem. 

Make sure that your card is properly activated and that you have the correct PIN.  There have been several cases of people calling in to activate their cards and the process somehow not completing correctly.

I noticed my cards weren't working the day after I activated them on the kiosk.  I've been waiting 24 hours since.

You activate the cards over the phone, not at the Money Center Express machine.

If you suspect that a card isn't activated, you need to call to activate it again.

After checking my statements it looks like I'm getting UR's for ordering GC's on my Ink Bold but not my Freedom.

Jagd said:   After checking my statements it looks like I'm getting UR's for ordering GC's on my Ink Bold but not my Freedom.

Ok,  this will probably bring on the red's but what is UR's

nymgiants said:   
Jagd said:   After checking my statements it looks like I'm getting UR's for ordering GC's on my Ink Bold but not my Freedom.

Ok,  this will probably bring on the red's but what is UR's

Ultimate Reward points.

i'm having a lot of trouble finding a place to buy money orders with debit card in NYC.

USPS - accepts debit cards, but chase recognizes it as a money purchase and declines transaction
Walgreens says they don't sell MO
CVS says cash only
Duane Reade says cash only

I guess I can try 7-11 next. no walmarts nearby unfortunately. any other ideas?

SegaRob said:   i'm having a lot of trouble finding a place to buy money orders with debit card in NYC.

USPS - accepts debit cards, but chase recognizes it as a money purchase and declines transaction
CVS says cash only

Don't live in NYC....so I could only google to help ya: http://newyork.citysearch.com/listings/manhattan-new-york-ny/mon...

vagrants said:   
SegaRob said:   i'm having a lot of trouble finding a place to buy money orders with debit card in NYC.

CVS says cash only

Don't live in NYC....so I could only google to help ya: http://newyork.citysearch.com/listings/manhattan-new-york-ny/mon...

thx. i tried googling without much help. i figure there must another FW'er from NYC trying to use this deal. i haven't tried western union, but i doubt that would work. would likely get flagged as financial service like bank or USPS. best bet i think is to find a retail store that allows debit cards to purchase MO so that transaction shows up as retail purchase rather than financial.

Looks like no GCs starting 9/22. From statement from person at FT:

We will no longer sell gift cards
Starting September 22, we will no longer sell gift cards. We apologize for any
inconvenience.
If you have questions, please call the number on this statement. All terms and conditions of your account remain the same.
Deposit Account Agreement Update
We will update Section H in our Deposit Account Agreement titled Closing Your Account.
Effective July 21, 2013. If you have pending transactions on your account,
or are overdrawn, we may not immediately close the account. However, if you ask us, we will restrict additional withdrawals from your account, other than the pending transactions. We will not pay any interest on the account after we have restricted your account.
This change will be reflected in your account agreement; all other terms remain the same.
If you have questions, please call us at the telephone number listed on this account statement or visit the nearest Chase branch.

It was super while it lasted.

Had a similar statement on my Chase bank statement.

Sounds like they're ending the entire GC program, which seems a little ham-fisted.  With the fee back in place, it should be an easy money maker.

Finally got a money order with this. Riteaid let me use a debit card without a problem. Fee was 89c with limit of $500 payment. Net cost about 0.2%. Not bad. Too bad this is dying.      

I'll be using it one last time for my required spending on my new United biz card I just received.

Easy 50k

Why did they ask for SSN - for both purchaser and receiver? Are they honna report this to IRS?

prikindel said:   Why did they ask for SSN - for both purchaser and receiver? Are they honna report this to IRS?
  Does it matte now? It ended.

I think it's more of AML than for IRS.

SegaRob said:   Finally got a money order with this. Riteaid let me use a debit card without a problem. Fee was 89c with limit of $500 payment. Net cost about 0.2%. Not bad. Too bad this is dying.      
Any truth to the rumor that Rite Aid in NYC sells money orders payable through GCs?  I could cash a couple out on my next visit.

R.I.P

ordered cards yesterday, hopefully they dont get cancelled before being fulfilled.  This message is on Chase's websitehttps://www.chase.com/content/chasecom/en/gift-cards/_jcr_content/body-s... sorry, but we no longer offer Chase Gift Cards.We will continue to honor current Chase Gift Cards. If you have a Chase Gift Card, you may continue to use it until the funds are depleted or upon card expiration.If your existing Chase Gift Card has been damaged, lost or stolen, you can redeem the balance or get a replacement Card by calling us at
1-866-466-0079, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Use that number if you have questions about your existing Chase Gift Card.Register and check your balance on an existing Chase Gift Card  

very profitable while it lasted

Finally, I'm free from going to WalMart to deposit this things (if I'm lucky and the MoneyCenter machine is actually working). And my wife not longer will look at me funny while I'm spending half an hour activating them on the phone. Did enjoy the free miles though.

RiversideTom said:   very profitable while it lastedWith the limits in place, I guess it depends on one's definition of "very."

mattun said:   Finally, I'm free from going to WalMart to deposit this things (if I'm lucky and the MoneyCenter machine is actually working). And my wife not longer will look at me funny while I'm spending half an hour activating them on the phone. Did enjoy the free miles though.
  Did you have a rotary phone or something?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014