Chase waived gift card fees

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2 345
  • Text Only
Those questions are awful and it does seem like a backdoor marketing data grab.

Anybody have data points on how long these take to ship?

mactv said:   Anybody have data points on how long these take to ship?

Ordered $2500 worth on 4/17 - they were here when I returned from a long weekend on the 22nd.

You're right, those questions are terrible.

As with all other "security questions," the best way to answer them is by coming up with your own scheme, then writing it down in a question-answer pair somewhere (in a secure location). The answer should have nothing to do with the question. pthor1231's approach works for now, but if it becomes common, his account would be easy to "crack"

daw4888 said:   xyxyxy said:   If you try, let us know.

NM I used Amazon payments.

What is the point of that? You can use the chase card with AP.

He's following the "buy first, think later" (or never) rule.

Or he's saying his original question worked...

duckyhood said:   soccerref said:   Might get red, but I'll ask anyway.

What is the purpose of these cards? Do people just get them to give away as gift cards or some other benefit?

we use them for hotels, jewelry, lingerie, formula and diapers, shielding our families from the realities of our salacious proclivities.

I don't get it. You can buy them with your chase card already. Why go through the trouble of buying gift card and then spend the gift card? You lose a lot of protection from using CC directly.

kickerstarter said:   duckyhood said:   soccerref said:   Might get red, but I'll ask anyway.

What is the purpose of these cards? Do people just get them to give away as gift cards or some other benefit?

we use them for hotels, jewelry, lingerie, formula and diapers, shielding our families from the realities of our salacious proclivities.

I don't get it. You can buy them with your chase card already. Why go through the trouble of buying gift card and then spend the gift card? You lose a lot of protection from using CC directly.

Correct. Keep reading.

I just got my Freedom card. I have 500 min. requirement. I ordered one with Freedom.
And, just approved for Ink. it has 6K min. requirement.
I also have Chase Amazon.
Which card(s) do you recommend for buying Chase/other GCs?

4RainyDays said:   I just got my Freedom card. I have 500 min. requirement. I ordered one with Freedom.

Any or all.

Any one have any luck registering an address online? Trying to avoid a trip to Walmar t

did it as soon as I recd it, just follow the URL on the back of the card.

STEALfromCAGgive2FW said:   soccerref said:   Might get red, but I'll ask anyway.

EDIT: removed answer at request of other FWF'ers. let's just say you can make money. do your own research.

This one churn is the easiest I don't mind giving away: min. spending req CCs -> Chase GC -> BB or RedBird or GoBank(?) or pay Bills or whatever to convert the GC to cash. Enjoy while Chase is waving activation & shipping fees.

alanmax said:   4RainyDays said:   I just got my Freedom card. I have 500 min. requirement. I ordered one with Freedom.

Any or all.

I generally don't buy the same branded card. Like buying AMEX GCs thru portals and use AMEX CCs to purchase. And, I'm rather a safe churner. If the max purchasing for the GC is $2.6k/month, I'm not gonna purchase $2.5k. Not sure if Chases' gonna mine data from how you use your GCs, etc.

tajar96 said:   did it as soon as I recd it, just follow the URL on the back of the card.

Were you responding to me? I "registered" the card, but when I tried to input an address, I kept getting a response "this card has already been registered". So I couldn't load BB online, I had to go into that new circle of retail hell over lunch. What a hassle. First woman didn't want to do it, manager said they couldn't, I asked if she could try, and of course it worked. Then asked to do another card and the same hassle all over again. Glad I only was only in for two.

VerbalK said:   tajar96 said:   did it as soon as I recd it, just follow the URL on the back of the card.

Were you responding to me? I "registered" the card, but when I tried to input an address, I kept getting a response "this card has already been registered". So I couldn't load BB online, I had to go into that new circle of retail hell over lunch. What a hassle. First woman didn't want to do it, manager said they couldn't, I asked if she could try, and of course it worked. Then asked to do another card and the same hassle all over again. Glad I only was only in for two.
Isn't there a really low limit when loading online?

sechs said:   VerbalK said:   tajar96 said:   did it as soon as I recd it, just follow the URL on the back of the card.

Cost $2 and can load $100 daily upto $1k/month. Not the cheapest way, but if you don't have any alternatives...

VerbalK said:   So I couldn't load BB online, I had to go into that new circle of retail hell over lunch. What a hassle. First woman didn't want to do it, manager said they couldn't, I asked if she could try, and of course it worked. Then asked to do another card and the same hassle all over again. Glad I only was only in for two.

So WalMart didn't want to reload what is touted as a WalMart product? All of em in your area like that?

sechs said:   VerbalK said:   tajar96 said:   did it as soon as I recd it, just follow the URL on the back of the card.

Oooh, I guess there is, well I guess never mind then. I've only been using the VRs with Bluebird so far.

I went to an especially crappy WM outside of Baltimore. Maybe I'll try for some of the tawnier suburbs. They just couldn't seem to get over the fact that it said "gift card", and they were all afraid of getting in trouble. The manager basically told me I'm violating some terms, but I responded that is Chase's prob, not her's. She also mentioned something about greendot, which I don't think applies. The last women who actually did run the transactions wanted to keep the empty GCs for verification, which I know shouldn't be protocol, but I opted not to fight that battle...

VerbalK said:   tajar96 said:   did it as soon as I recd it, just follow the URL on the back of the card.

Have you tried calling the number on the back of you card ? You may have given a diff. address when you bought, hence the conflict now.

2500 transaction limit, anyone know If there is a monthly limit? Anyone try and do this offer twice yet? Tia

Deleted

What I see is that you seem to be under-utilizing both Freedom and BCP

Delete

So do you guys throw the card away when empty or do you need to call in to cancel the card?

No Cash Back portal, no AMEX...I don't see the big deal with these. Can anyone PM me if I'm missing something? Thanks.

jewsus said:   No Cash Back portal, no AMEX...I don't see the big deal with these. Can anyone PM me if I'm missing something? Thanks.

The difference is if Chase GCs can be used w. a pin for WalMart, USPS, etc.

is 2600/month per card?

Do the Chase Prepaid with PIN definitely work at USPS to buy money orders? No Walmarts in NYC, so bluebird is not an option. Using AP for something else. So just hoping USPS MO are an option for my mom to be able to pay her monthly condo fees. Many thanks

deskjet77 said:   Do the Chase Prepaid with PIN definitely work at USPS to buy money orders? No Walmarts in NYC, so bluebird is not an option. Using AP for something else. So just hoping USPS MO are an option for my mom to be able to pay her monthly condo fees. Many thanks

WM and USPS are not the only places you can buy MO. You can buy MO where you buy VR...or gas stations...or grocery stores for examples. However, I rather you buy from the USPS since the Congress screwed them big time.

Thanks for reply. I meant to ask, are these Chase prepaid cards being accepted as DEBIT cards? I read in another forum that they could not be used at ATM, or to get CashBack at supermarket - as you can with, for example, Wells Fargo prepaid. IF I were using the card, I would simply give it a go - but it's for my mom (I live in England now) - so I don't want to put her in a position where she gets the Chase prepaid, and then it does not work for her when she goes to Post Office.
No places near where she lives to get MO, apart from Western Union - so USPS is her only option. Thanks for your help

deskjet77 said:   Thanks for reply. I meant to ask, are these Chase prepaid cards being accepted as DEBIT cards? I read in another forum that they could not be used at ATM, or to get CashBack at supermarket - as you can with, for example, Wells Fargo prepaid. IF I were using the card, I would simply give it a go - but it's for my mom (I live in England now) - so I don't want to put her in a position where she gets the Chase prepaid, and then it does not work for her when she goes to Post Office.
No places near where she lives to get MO, apart from Western Union - so USPS is her only option. Thanks for your help

...Wire money if you are in England. And, PrePaid != Chase GC.

And what's up with ducky or whatever giving indiscriminate reds? Afraid of losing the churn?

vagrants said:   And what's up with ducky or whatever giving indiscriminate reds? Afraid of losing the churn?

I think it is more likely getting red because people are asking the same exact thing over and over again...I'm all for sharing information...but this is getting a little ridiculous.

EDIT - While reviewing this thread I too ducky's reds all over the place indiscriminately. I have no idea why he feels the need to red. While there is certainly a lot being re-asked in this thread that has already been posted before - I will not defend his abuse of the ratings system.

BenH said:   vagrants said:   And what's up with ducky or whatever giving indiscriminate reds? Afraid of losing the churn?

I think it is more likely getting red because people are asking the same exact thing over and over again...I'm all for sharing information...but this is getting a little ridiculous.

megarf said:   So do you guys throw the card away when empty or do you need to call in to cancel the card?

This has been asked many times? Being curious is apparently not OK or not knowing is not OK.

jaytrader said:   daw4888 said:   Yes but you are limited to 2600 in gift cards per month.

Good luck having this meet minimum spend requirements.

And, 'encouragement' is wrong? OK, whatever ducky thinks or whatever you think to defend his position.

Sorry I have been using the word prepaid - when I meant to say Chase Gift Card.

I re-read this thread, and have not seen anyone say one way or the other if these Chase Gift Cards with PIN work at USPS to get a money order.

I know that certain cards (such as AMEX Target Prepaid) while OK to take money from ATM, are not good for CashBack at supermarkets or getting money orders at Post Office.

So I am asking again, does any one know if the Chase Gift Card can be used to purchase Money Orders at USPS? I have tried to search and have found no reply for this specific gift card - so quit the "it's been asked before" - perhaps for other cards - but there is no answer I can find for this Chase card - thanks again for help.

deskjet77 said:   so quit the "it's been asked before" - perhaps for other cards - but there is no answer I can find for this Chase card - thanks again for help.

But it has been asked before...and answered...and asked again.

There are dozens if not hundreds of cards out there and thousands of ways in which you can use them. While I understand that it is great that someone else responds in the affirmative that you can get Cash Back from a card or use it to buy a money order - the fact is that being able to do this with one card at one establishment isn't a guarantee of success at another.

The simple answer is...try it and see. These Chase cards cost you absolutely nothing...so why not order a low denomination one and try it out...then you can report back your experience for someone else to ignore and ask again.

This thread on flyertalk is where the the PIN info initially hit:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1455542-pin...

It has generated almost 1000 posts in less than a month. I know there has been some talk of using PIN cards to get USPS money orders...can't recall if it was Chase specifically..and my recollection is also that not a lot of luck at USPS...but luck at some other MO locations.

I recommend people read that thread (and the half dozen + others that are on these two sites) and do a little self-experimentation.

FYI: Target AMEX functions like a credit card. The PIN is there only for ATM withdrawals, but it will only function as Credit. Gift Cards with PINs (like this Chase) are Debit cards and should always ring up as, or be chosen as such. The cards, in general, should work where ever PIN based debit transactions are accepted (as if you used your bank debit card). Cash Back however, in general, will not work with these card types. As with everything else...YMMV

I attempted to buy USPS MO with Chase GC and the transaction was declined. I then called CS stating that my attempted transaction was partial payment for bulk mailing, a USPS service which does not accept traditional credit card payments, and requested the reason for decline. CSR was not sure, but said that transactions are only declined for attempted purchases of cash equivalents. I didn't pursue further lest they find out what I was really up to...

vagrants said:   BenH said:   vagrants said:   And what's up with ducky or whatever giving indiscriminate reds? Afraid of losing the churn?

megarf said:   So do you guys throw the card away when empty or do you need to call in to cancel the card?

This has been asked many times? Being curious is apparently not OK or not knowing is not OK.

jaytrader said:   daw4888 said:   Yes but you are limited to 2600 in gift cards per month.

Good luck having this meet minimum spend requirements.

And, 'encouragement' is wrong? OK, whatever ducky thinks or whatever you think to defend his position.

I'm not really sure of the examples you've chosen here - I can't see how they strengthen any argument you are making - or if that is what you intended them to do.

As far as asking if you should toss a card or call in to cancel it... Well if it has been asked many times - and not answered...that is the defense that you should keep asking it?
It's a Gift Card...always has been...always will be... it just now has a PIN. What did you do before with your gift cards? If you had any sense at all you kept them until you know that your balance is $0 and any pending transactions on them are cleared and that you will not have any possibility of returns or charge backs. After that - you throw it away - shred it if you like...but who cares? It is a pre-paid debit card and once the balance falls to $0 nothing is going to happen...it isn't like it is linked to an account whereby someone can pull it from the trash and steal money from you. There is nothing new on this front - and therefore no need for new questions for the same old thing...

I can't say anything about the "good luck" post...because I'm not sure what the OP intended. My understanding was that he was being sarcastic as in "good luck... it won't count towards your minimum spend." Personally, I have no reason to believe it shouldn't count towards a minimum spend. If it is not a cash advance - then it is a purchase. I appear to have gotten points for it - so why wouldn't it meet spend?
Look at the terms of the Credit Card and see what counts and what doesn't. If it isn't explicitly excluded from meeting spend, then it should. That's not to say Chase might argue the fact...but again, unless someone tries it - who's to know? I say again - there is no cost for these Chase cards...so no reason not to order one and see what happens for yourself.

Asked many times, huh? Apparently, Chase GC doesn't work at USPS. So, your assumption of "It's a Gift Card...always has been...always will be...it just now has a PIN" is wrong since I can buy MO @ USPS with other GCs. Do you feel superior telling others do your homework crap? Apparently, you didn't and you got it wrong at least on this Chase GC case. And, apparently, Chase knows what you do with your Chase GCs.

"I'm not really sure of the examples you've chosen here - I can't see how they strengthen any argument you are making - or if that is what you intended them to do."

So, what about being sarcastic? In that case, being sarcastic is not OK for you and ducky. Anyway, if you can't see the point, fine. Whatever, dude.

I save my cards and use them to expand the alter I've built with my old cancelled credit cards. I now pretty much have the South Dakota Corn Palace of credit, debit, gift, VR, etc cards. Step one: I admit I have a problem. Step two??? I never get that far...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014