Chase waived gift card fees

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Noticed this somewhere else but didn't see it here.

Chase has temporarily waived shipping fees for Visa Gift cards bought with Chase Credit Cards. They recently updated their TOS to include a PIN with these cards as per the recent change in regulation as well.

https://www.chase.com/gift-cards

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Finally, I'm free from going to WalMart to deposit this things (if I'm lucky and the MoneyCenter machine is actually wor... (more)

mattun (Sep. 23, 2013 @ 1:36a) |

With the limits in place, I guess it depends on one's definition of "very."

scripta (Sep. 23, 2013 @ 1:42a) |

Did you have a rotary phone or something?

heyeaglefn (Sep. 23, 2013 @ 7:25a) |

Need To Knows:

-Limited to $2600 in gift cards per month

saw me post about it on flyer talk?

Does anyone know if these are considered a cash advance or a purchase?

Fees are waived because of a problem issuing the cards at branches. See here: https://www.chase.com/gift-cards

Why not just go to a Chase branch to buy these?

avalon6 said:   Why not just go to a Chase branch to buy these?

Well for me the nearest Chase branch is 45 minutes away.

We apologize that we are temporarily unable to offer Chase Gift Cards through the branch. Due to the inconvenience, our standard shipping fee of $4.95 for online gift card orders is temporarily waived.

Interesting. I usually pickup a new card every week or two from Chase. Im very disappointed to hear they are no longer available in branch. Ill have to speak to my local branch about this and see whats the skinny.

Couple questions:

So apparently you can (or will be able to) buy these at Chase branches - but for now online only. It doesn't appear there is any activation fee - just the (currently waived) shipping fee.

I see nothing in the requirements about using a Chase card to purchase...only a Visa/MC is accepted at checkout.

If one were to use a Chase card - I doubt Chase would code it as a cash advance...but I wonder if they will flag it as a GC purchase through them and somehow not give points.

Also - can someone point me to some good info regarding the new regulations which require debit cards to have PINs as referenced by the OP?

Has anyone used one of these Chase cards with a PIN (or another similar card) for PIN transactions like Cash Back and or BB load?

This website does not support online sales of Chase Gift Cards to residents of the following states: AR, CT, HI, ME, NH, NJ, RI, VT. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Are these cash advances?

BenH said:   Couple questions:

I see nothing in the requirements about using a Chase card to purchase...only a Visa/MC is accepted at checkout.

"The card used to purchase must be issued by Chase. Please provide a Chase debit or credit card number."

jwmoldy said:   
"The card used to purchase must be issued by Chase. Please provide a Chase debit or credit card number."

Must say that only after you put in a card and proceed to the next page...doesn't say anything about that before that point.

Interesting how they also want your SSN.

Anyway, my other questions from above (PIN info, etc.) still stand.

BenH said:   Couple questions:

Also - can someone point me to some good info regarding the new regulations which require debit cards to have PINs as referenced by the OP?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=federal+reserve+requires+pins+on+gift+cards&l=1

I have a better question. Does the USPS let you split a MO across multiple cards?

I have to spend 5k in 60 days on a chase credit card to get the rewards.
Can I use this to meet that requirement? with no fees?
TY

Yes but you are limited to 2600 in gift cards per month.

jwmoldy said:   

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=federal+reserve+requires+pins+on+gift+cards&l=1

Thanks (apart from the snarkiness of lmgtfy :/). I have been behind on my news feeds for the past week and didn't know that this was federal reserve related. Just googling for "gift card pin" doesn't bring up a whole lot of relevant info. I've since read a whole bunch on the new guidelines and will be actively seeing how it works in implementation!

Has anyone yet ordered a card from Chase and can verify either:
1) It is not counted as a cash advance
2) It is counted as a normal purchase for purposes of both spend requirements and points earnings

thanks

I'd be weary of abusing if you value your UR stash and future potential.

daw4888 said:   Yes but you are limited to 2600 in gift cards per month.

Good luck having this meet minimum spend requirements.

jaytrader said:   daw4888 said:   Yes but you are limited to 2600 in gift cards per month.

Good luck having this meet minimum spend requirements.

I dont know if it will or not.. But the people at flyertalk seem to think it will..

Has this posted for anyone yet ? I saw it pending two days ago, but has since dropped off and is not even in my activity.

Ordered yesterday, still pending for me. Hope the pins does work for these at WallyWorld.

Edit

Looks like we're good to go:

http://thepointstraveler.com/follow-up-on-no-fee-chase-visa-gift...

My statement cycled today and I earned UR points for all of the Chase gift cards! I know alot of other people on other forums were wondering if points would post, so I thought I'd confirm it.

ThePointsTraveler

From the Terms:

The Card can only be used for purchases at participating merchants. You agree not to use the Card at any automatic teller machines (ATMs), at merchants or financial institutions to obtain Cash Back...

Statement finally posted, I got the points. Anyone have luck purchasing without Chase Card.

Do the GCs have the recipient's name on them?

scripta said:   Do the GCs have the recipient's name on them?

Yes. It is NOT embossed like a credit card, but just printed on.

Might get red, but I'll ask anyway.

What is the purpose of these cards? Do people just get them to give away as gift cards or some other benefit?

soccerref said:   Might get red, but I'll ask anyway.

What is the purpose of these cards? Do people just get them to give away as gift cards or some other benefit?

we use them for hotels, jewelry, lingerie, formula and diapers, shielding our families from the realities of our salacious proclivities.

daw4888 said:   Yes but you are limited to 2600 in gift cards per month.Has this been available long enough for anyone to figure out what the definition of "month" is?

Are we talking calendar month, statement cycle, or rolling thirty days?

soccerref said:   Might get red, but I'll ask anyway.

EDIT: removed answer at request of other FWF'ers. let's just say you can make money. do your own research.

Anyone try yet to use these at the post office to buy a money order?

If you try, let us know.

Or better yet, don't let us know.

xyxyxy said:   If you try, let us know.

NM I used Amazon payments.

So this was interesting - thought I would share:

Got my Chase cards in the mail the other day and went to register them online. When you do this it wants you to setup some security questions so that it can verify your information next time.
Note that this doesn't appear to be required - because you can either activate/check balance online or you can choose at least a one-time option to bypass this online.

However, take a look at the attachment that shows the questions they are asking.

It seems to me that these questions are much more interested in determining brand loyalty for marketing preferences than in actually trying to secure your account.

There are maybe one or two valid questions in the lot (of course almost all "security" questions, even when not tainted by this marketing crap are still piss-poor questions to be asking as most can be found out with public records or very minor social engineering).

A lot of the times, my answers to those questions are related to fecal matter. Makes for interesting phone conversations when that somehow gets set as your "phone password".

I don't think they care about your brand loyalty, since owning one device doesn't show loyalty, especially if you don't own it (like you work computer). Someone just re-imagined what security questions should look like, and this is their version.

scripta said:   I don't think they care about your brand loyalty, since owning one device doesn't show loyalty, especially if you don't own it (like you work computer). Someone just re-imagined what security questions should look like, and this is their version.

You could be right - but you don't think Chase can easily determine who your employer is? Data mining is what it is all about and it is not difficult for a company with the size and resources of Chase to link this information together.

If you're correct - it doesn't diminish the fact that these are absolutely horrible security questions - not just because they are insecure - but the temporal nature of them makes them bad for even the authorized user (hmmm...what laptop was I using when I registered this card....).

Skipping 144 Messages...
mattun said:   Finally, I'm free from going to WalMart to deposit this things (if I'm lucky and the MoneyCenter machine is actually working). And my wife not longer will look at me funny while I'm spending half an hour activating them on the phone. Did enjoy the free miles though.
  Did you have a rotary phone or something?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014