Chase waived gift card fees

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 123 4 5
  • Text Only
Not sure what the deal is with yours, but I've done between 5 to 10 cards a month @ limits for almost the 3rd rotation.

posted today. all is well. never had a delay like that before.

shrug.

stm69 said:   Not sure what the deal is with yours, but I've done between 5 to 10 cards a month @ limits for almost the 3rd rotation.

Wow, you sir are one brave man. Either Chase loves you or hasn't got to your file yet

So I'll ask... On the checkout page, the bottom asks for a promotional code. Can anyone help me out with that?

I never used one for this promotion.
4 $2,500 orders across 4 diff. Chase cards over several months.

KYBOSH said:   Has anyone ever run into this error during checkout?

Your order was declined for the following reason:
FAILED ATTEMPTS EXCEEDED. YOUR CARD IS NO LONGER VALID FOR THIS PROGRAM.


This is what I get when I hit the submit button.


KYBOSH, this makes me think you may have gone too heavy on certain gift cards (red in color) few years ago.

Anyone have trouble with Wal-Mart Money Center Kiosks lately? I've been by three Wal-marts in the area over the last week and they've all been shut down, one of the money center d-bags said they turned it off because people were buying money orders with gift cards....

Just find the most clueless checkout clerk and get it reloaded with him/her. always worked for me. and no need to show the gift card.

checkin1 said:   Anyone have trouble with Wal-Mart Money Center Kiosks lately? I've been by three Wal-marts in the area over the last week and they've all been shut down, one of the money center d-bags said they turned it off because people were buying money orders with gift cards....

Maybe you are one of the "people" they are talking about...

That being said, it is not surprising that they would shut them down and many other stores did that long ago. Actually pretty shocking that they made that service available through a machine given the controls that FinCen expects retailers to maintain around the MO purchasing process...

rsrvoir said:   checkin1 said:   Anyone have trouble with Wal-Mart Money Center Kiosks lately? I've been by three Wal-marts in the area over the last week and they've all been shut down, one of the money center d-bags said they turned it off because people were buying money orders with gift cards....

Maybe you are one of the "people" they are talking about...

That being said, it is not surprising that they would shut them down and many other stores did that long ago. Actually pretty shocking that they made that service available through a machine given the controls that FinCen expects retailers to maintain around the MO purchasing process...


Haha, of course I was one of the people they were talking about, just not at that particular store though, I just happened to be driving by. Just wondering if this was a system wide thing or if it's store by store...

checkin1 said:   rsrvoir said:   checkin1 said:   Anyone have trouble with Wal-Mart Money Center Kiosks lately? I've been by three Wal-marts in the area over the last week and they've all been shut down, one of the money center d-bags said they turned it off because people were buying money orders with gift cards....

Maybe you are one of the "people" they are talking about...

That being said, it is not surprising that they would shut them down and many other stores did that long ago. Actually pretty shocking that they made that service available through a machine given the controls that FinCen expects retailers to maintain around the MO purchasing process...


Haha, of course I was one of the people they were talking about, just not at that particular store though, I just happened to be driving by. Just wondering if this was a system wide thing or if it's store by store...


It appears to be store by store, and is likely related to how many times people stand there doing transaction after transaction after transaction. The stores around me are still enabled, but I've heard of places where they've been disabled for the last year of more...

checkin1 said:   Anyone have trouble with Wal-Mart Money Center Kiosks lately? I've been by three Wal-marts in the area over the last week and they've all been shut down, one of the money center d-bags said they turned it off because people were buying money orders with gift cards....

Mine was in some sort of sign in mode this weekend. I asked them at the money center and they said it was out of order.

This kiosk never has allowed money orders, so I don't think it was shut down because of that - but I hope it was just a temporary and isolated incident.

Since they can disable just the MO feature, and I know people use these just for ATMs...seems silly for them to shut the whole thing down for MO problems.

Anyone else having trouble ordering today? When I click add to cart, its recycling me back to the splash page (my work computer is always quirky with chase page though).

Also, anyone have any issue with a card not reading correctly? I'm assuming it is a mag strip issue, but wondering if it's something they can fix over the phone.

VerbalK said:   Anyone else having trouble ordering today? When I click add to cart, its recycling me back to the splash page (my work computer is always quirky with chase page though).

Also, anyone have any issue with a card not reading correctly? I'm assuming it is a mag strip issue, but wondering if it's something they can fix over the phone.
Per this FT thread, there have been issues with the Chase site since late last week. I got one order through yesterday, but got kicked out another half dozen times.
With regard to the card not reading, I read somewhere that a poster was able to get the number over the phone and use it for a purchase. I received a card a while back with one set of numbers printed on top of another, and they sent me a replacement in about a week.

stm69 said:   It's $2600 per rolling 30 day not calender month. Rumors are from FT that this ends Aug 1, so get in your last batch while you can.

August 1 is here and I still see the shipping fee waived off on the Chase site - so seems like it was an unfounded rumor.

wish we could get more than 1%

What is everyone using for the recipient information?

I'm planning to load BB with it so I think it should be in my name, but was wondering if sending a 'gift' from me to me would be declined by Chase or put me on the naughty list.

cjackson0 said:   What is everyone using for the recipient information?

I'm planning to load BB with it so I think it should be in my name, but was wondering if sending a 'gift' from me to me would be declined by Chase or put me on the naughty list.


I have been using my name with no problems and if that was a problem I would know about it by now.

cjackson0 said:   What is everyone using for the recipient information?

I'm planning to load BB with it so I think it should be in my name, but was wondering if sending a 'gift' from me to me would be declined by Chase or put me on the naughty list.


If you plan to do it at the kiosk then it really doesn't matter as noone will see it. In your name would be better jic you have an over zealous csr @ the money center.

Any idea on when this "no-fee" period will end?

Nobody knows.

with any luck, never.

Do these cards have maintenance fees ever? If I buy a card and cannot figure out how to liquidate it soon, will the value depreciate until it's valueless?

I signed up for a Chase Ink card awhile back that required spending $5,000 in the first 3 months. Not sure what date I signed up but the thread I read about it in appeared 6.16 so I should be able to charge $2,500 for gift cards before 8.16 and again before 9.16 to reach my goal of $5,000 in 3 months (6.16-9.16).

If these Chase gift cards never depreciate in value, I'll just hold onto them until I have nothing going on on Amazon Payments, then I'll liquidate them that way.

megaubiquitous said:   Do these cards have maintenance fees ever? If I buy a card and cannot figure out how to liquidate it soon, will the value depreciate until it's valueless?

I signed up for a Chase Ink card awhile back that required spending $5,000 in the first 3 months. Not sure what date I signed up but the thread I read about it in appeared 6.16 so I should be able to charge $2,500 for gift cards before 8.16 and again before 9.16 to reach my goal of $5,000 in 3 months (6.16-9.16).

If these Chase gift cards never depreciate in value, I'll just hold onto them until I have nothing going on on Amazon Payments, then I'll liquidate them that way.


$2.50/month fee after any 12 months of inactivity

jd3695 said:   megaubiquitous said:   Do these cards have maintenance fees ever? If I buy a card and cannot figure out how to liquidate it soon, will the value depreciate until it's valueless?

I signed up for a Chase Ink card awhile back that required spending $5,000 in the first 3 months. Not sure what date I signed up but the thread I read about it in appeared 6.16 so I should be able to charge $2,500 for gift cards before 8.16 and again before 9.16 to reach my goal of $5,000 in 3 months (6.16-9.16).

If these Chase gift cards never depreciate in value, I'll just hold onto them until I have nothing going on on Amazon Payments, then I'll liquidate them that way.


$2.50/month fee after any 12 months of inactivity


You want to copy and paste that or link, I never read that. I hope I am incorrect.

alanmax said:   jd3695 said:   megaubiquitous said:   Do these cards have maintenance fees ever? If I buy a card and cannot figure out how to liquidate it soon, will the value depreciate until it's valueless?

I signed up for a Chase Ink card awhile back that required spending $5,000 in the first 3 months. Not sure what date I signed up but the thread I read about it in appeared 6.16 so I should be able to charge $2,500 for gift cards before 8.16 and again before 9.16 to reach my goal of $5,000 in 3 months (6.16-9.16).

If these Chase gift cards never depreciate in value, I'll just hold onto them until I have nothing going on on Amazon Payments, then I'll liquidate them that way.


$2.50/month fee after any 12 months of inactivity


You want to copy and paste that or link, I never read that. I hope I am incorrect.


Just look at the back of the card. It says that.

Thanks!
I did read small print somewhere I recall stating something to the degree of "...5 years..." Must be how long the actual card is valid for.
Thanks vagrants and jd3695.

Ive got a bunch of cards i need to liquidate. Have just been lazy. Im planning on going to WM to get MO as I dont have BB card yet. If i go to the kiosk, and want a MO for $500, how do i pay the MO charge or are you guys doing a MO for $499.00. Thanks

Oh, just to clarify, my GC's are loaded with $500.

Lappie said:   Ive got a bunch of cards i need to liquidate. Have just been lazy. Im planning on going to WM to get MO as I dont have BB card yet. If i go to the kiosk, and want a MO for $500, how do i pay the MO charge or are you guys doing a MO for $499.00. Thanks

Oh, just to clarify, my GC's are loaded with $500.


Mine has a kiosk that I use. I get 499.30 money orders, so with the 70 cent fee, its exactly 500.

Ok.. Thanks. I hadnt used one and wondered if you could just add .70 in cash or whatever to get exactly $500 off the card. But that
helps me so im prepared when I go in, what to expect. I appreciate the response.

Has anyone figured out a way to do a split transaction on WM's machine?

no

Lappie said:   Ok.. Thanks. I hadnt used one and wondered if you could just add .70 in cash or whatever to get exactly $500 off the card. But that
helps me so im prepared when I go in, what to expect. I appreciate the response.


You can if you go to the counter.. But I avoid it like the plague. I just use the money center ATM machine things.

LOL.

I had 11 GC ($500 ea) to cashout. I know people were looking at me when they kept hearing $499.30 MO on the speaker. But I was able to cash them all out. There was a large sign on the machine that said "one money order per transaction." So i had to do 11 transactions.

I have a great small bank here that knows me well, and I told them what i do. In fact, the girls at the bank play the game now too. So liquidating the money orders as deposits was easy across a few accounts.

cyberkost said:   KYBOSH said:   Has anyone ever run into this error during checkout?

Your order was declined for the following reason:
FAILED ATTEMPTS EXCEEDED. YOUR CARD IS NO LONGER VALID FOR THIS PROGRAM.


This is what I get when I hit the submit button.


KYBOSH, this makes me think you may have gone too heavy on certain gift cards (red in color) few years ago.



I get the same message. Chase gift cards are processed/serviced through pscu. You have been blacklisted by them. I have been as well from reloading alot of their reloadable debit cards. I get this message every time i try to order a gift card or reloadable that they issue from my computer to my address

Have tried splitting the transactions @ WM in multiple ways, but no luck with different dollar amounts.

I tried to use a Chase gift card at the counter to reload a BB and it kept rejecting the gift card's PIN( Kiosk was "broken"... stuck on the waiting for Approval screen and they didn't want to fix it, but nobody was in line). Is that normal? First time I've ever gone to the counter.

mattun said:   I tried to use a Chase gift card at the counter to reload a BB and it kept rejecting the gift card's PIN( Kiosk was "broken"... stuck on the waiting for Approval screen and they didn't want to fix it, but nobody was in line). Is that normal? First time I've ever gone to the counter.
I loaded to cards at registers today with no problem.

Make sure that your card is properly activated and that you have the correct PIN. There have been several cases of people calling in to activate their cards and the process somehow not completing correctly.

I've had the PIN rejected without a good reason (and with a nonsensical error code). Try another terminal or another store.

i dont have a WalMart nearby. i guess the next best thing is to get a money order? what's the best/cheapest place for money order? post office? TIA



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014