• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello, I just thought of an idea for how to save a lot of money on meals, but I have many questions regarding my plan to save money on food, before I implement my plan. I am sure someone in FWF finance will be able to help me with these questions about shareholder meetings.
I received a notice of shareholder meeting today in the mail, along with some big boring booklet. I am thinking they will serve a delicious meal at this meeting. However, the meeting is in New York and the booklet does not say anything about food.
Does anyone know if companies serve wholesome meals at these shareholder meetings? I'm looking for really good grub, not continental breakfasts or bear claws or anything like that. Something you need a fork and knife to eat. Who has been to one of these meetings? Whats it like?
Anyway, if they serve meals at these meetings, is there some way to find out which companies hold shareholder meetings in my city? I live in the Twin Cities area, so I imagine there are a few such companies. Many companies are headquartered here, so I am thinking that they hold shareholder meetings where their corporate headquarters are? Does anyone know if my assumption is correct? And how can I find out whats on the menu for the shareholder meeting?
My possible plan is to buy one share of each company that holds a shareholder meeting in my town. It seems like a wise investment because if the share price is low enough, I can just hold onto the investment and keep getting meals year after year. I can buy a share of McDonalds and get free big macs at the shareholder meetings year after year (and I get to keep the stock).
This may be pushing it, but does anyone know can I bring my family to a shareholder meetings so we all get fed, or do all of us need to own a share before they will give us food? Also what do they do with the leftovers? Can shareholders take leftovers home?
Anyone with some insight on this, please let me know!!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This is just sad.

murphyrulez (Apr. 21, 2013 @ 10:08a) |

My backup plan was always to troll the halls of various Las Vegas hotels and just eat room service leftovers off the tra... (more)

TravelerMSY (Apr. 21, 2013 @ 6:24p) |

Yeah, I call liar liar pants on fire.

tmwilkin (Apr. 21, 2013 @ 6:52p) |

• Also categorized in:

My gym has free pizza at dinnertime on the first Monday of every month. $10/month for membership. If you really stock up, and pile the slices high, you should be able to come out ahead with very little effort. They also have free bagels on the first Tuesday morning of each month. PM me for details.

You've got to be fuking kidding me

I think the Soylent Corporation offers this perk.

money2011 said:   You've got to be fuking kidding meThere was a thread here years ago discussing which stocks gave out good benefits to shareholders (coupons / freebees / other benefits), and it was popular at the time, so I don't think this is that far removed from that discussion. That said, unless you have free transportation to get to these meetings, your stock transaction costs are very minimal, and you have a lot of free time to burn, I agree it doesn't make sense to try this, no matter how good the free grub is. But hey, I can think of worse hobbies.

Quikboy4 said:   My gym has free pizza at dinnertime on the first Monday of every month. $10/month for membership. If you really stock up, and pile the slices high, you should be able to come out ahead with very little effort. They also have free bagels on the first Tuesday morning of each month. PM me for details.

Any gym that offeres free pizza is clearly confused about what kind of business they want to be.

money2011 said:   You've got to be fuking kidding me

what part?? why is it hard to believe that i am looking for good grub for low prices? people pay $50 a year to go to costco, does that amaze you? people on here put $100 in a bank account for 6 months just to get another hundred (that they have to pay taxes on). lots of people here have weird angles and are willing to go great lengths for just a small benefit. one dude on here was collecting a car full of bumbos from craiglist to sell to WalMart for $30 each. so my idea is as good as any other. its not like im going to start a food fight at a shareholder meeting, im just lookin to feed my family!!!

and to the pizza dude, i already have an angle to get low price pizza, you have it delivered to a house near you where they aren't home. you hang out outside and pretend to "notice" that the pizza guy was not able to deliver his pizza. if you pretend to feel bad for him and ask if hes just going to have to throw the pizza away, they will usually let it go for a few bucks. better than nothing for them, and you get a discount. its a win-win

OliverQuackenbush said:   money2011 said:   You've got to be fuking kidding me

what part?? why is it hard to believe that i am looking for good grub for low prices? people pay $50 a year to go to costco, does that amaze you?

$50/year to costco will feed your entire family. There are always 15-20 food samples there. Some of the samples even come with a spork....which kind of fits your requirement for food requiring utensils.

I'm not aware of any shareholder meetings that come with a meal.

cristinaaaron said:   

$50/year to costco will feed your entire family. There are always 15-20 food samples there. Some of the samples even come with a spork....which kind of fits your requirement for food requiring utensils.

Another idea would be to apply as a garbage man for Waste Management Corp. I heard they pay $15/hour, plus all you can eat.

Admittedly some stocks are most valuable as a source of dietary fiber. And if you buy stocks (cattle) you can slaughter them for steaks and hamburger.

I eat bear claws and candy bars using a fork and a knife. What do you use? Your hands?? /eyeroll/

Quikboy4 said:   My gym has free pizza at dinnertime on the first Monday of every month. $10/month for membership. If you really stock up, and pile the slices high, you should be able to come out ahead with very little effort. They also have free bagels on the first Tuesday morning of each month. PM me for details.

Planet Fitness?

holv said:   Quikboy4 said:   My gym has free pizza at dinnertime on the first Monday of every month. $10/month for membership. If you really stock up, and pile the slices high, you should be able to come out ahead with very little effort. They also have free bagels on the first Tuesday morning of each month. PM me for details.

Planet Fitness?

"Gym" lol

I went to an Exxon AGM once, I think there MAY have been some snacks beforehand - but I don't recall for sure. It certainly wasn't anything memorable.

If you are just looking for free food there are plenty of other opportunities that don't involve purchasing stock. We got fed when we went to a Universities Dog and Pony recruitment show in a Hotel attached to the local mall a couple of months ago...

The condiments at Chick-Fil-A are like a meal in and of themselves. Just stock up on those.

aadam101 said:   Quikboy4 said:   My gym has free pizza at dinnertime on the first Monday of every month. $10/month for membership. If you really stock up, and pile the slices high, you should be able to come out ahead with very little effort. They also have free bagels on the first Tuesday morning of each month. PM me for details.

Any gym that offeres free pizza is clearly confused about what kind of business they want to be.

Pizza is a business development tool. Eat our free pizza, and you need to keep coming to the gym.

I've heard Warren serves a Buffet!

PhrugalPhan said:   There was a thread here years ago discussing which stocks gave out good benefits to shareholders (coupons / freebees / other benefits), and it was popular at the time, so I don't think this is that far removed from that discussion. That said, unless you have free transportation to get to these meetings, your stock transaction costs are very minimal, and you have a lot of free time to burn, I agree it doesn't make sense to try this, no matter how good the free grub is. But hey, I can think of worse hobbies.

For those wondering:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/282284/

tough crowd

OliverQuackenbush said:   tough crowd

I guess we need a "homeless forum" added to FW.

Better yet, save money on groceries by eating less.

Just buy stocks that go up and use that money for food. That's what I do and it's a lot easier than spending a weekend at a boring shareholder meeting.

OliverQuackenbush said:   tough crowd I think it's less "tough crowd," and more that your idea wasn't really well thought out. Why not do some of your own research first? Moreover, the best deals are near free arbitrage. For example, the chipotle gift card/receipt churn is legendary. I had 9 burritos last time they had the promotion and only paid in for 1 gift card. That was a food deal with no downside.

Not worth it for the meal - and most annual meetings are quite pointless to be honest. Usually just a formality. Decisions are made long before the meeting for anyone with power.

This is like deciding on whether you vote for Obama or Romney just minutes before getting there. For the most, especially the intelligent, I'd bet that most decisions were made well before you drove up to the voting booth.

I've gotten the cell phone number for a few board members by going to these, simply because no one ever goes, but it's not really worth doing for that even. Even my investment decisions are based on rather obvious decisions, and if I need to speak to the board, I'm likely way off base and need to rethink my thesis.

To answer you: Be happy if they serve water and coffee.

There are folks who attend corporate meetings just because. You get to see the CEO and Board of Directors, maybe even ask the questions. If there's a CEO who you really admire/respect, I can understand doing it -- the Berkshire Hathaway shareholder's meeting for instance draws huge crowds who want to hear the wisdom of Warren Buffet.

seriously...if you want free food just go to your nearby university around lunch and around 5 pm most days of the week. someone is having a meeting/sponsoring something/putting on some event that is catered--usually pizza, but sometimes you would be surprised. i don't think i paid for a meal on campus my entire senior year. i also never ate papa john's pizza ever again

Jerry, soup is not a meal!

Venturion said:   OliverQuackenbush said:   tough crowd I think it's less "tough crowd," and more that your idea wasn't really well thought out. Why not do some of your own research first? Moreover, the best deals are near free arbitrage. For example, the chipotle gift card/receipt churn is legendary. I had 9 burritos last time they had the promotion and only paid in for 1 gift card. That was a food deal with no downside.

this reminds me of the one near arby's near me. the back of the receipt had a survey that you could call and get a free junior roast beef or whatever. they wouldn't give you a receipt is you didn't buy anything, though, but you could always find receipts floating around that place, and even if you didn't, buy a drink for $.50 and get another free sandwich. that said, it was arby's, so....not exactly awesome food.

qcumber98 said:   Jerry, soup is not a meal!

that's the meal bania

warren buffett serves some of the best food for the A share class holders. i'm talking food for at LEAST a week. but you have to be an A shareholder. The B's get something that barely passes for food.

"This may be pushing it, but does anyone know can I bring my family to a shareholder meetings so we all get fed, or do all of us need to own a share before they will give us food?"

Whatever you may save in your food bill bill be spent on a shrink for the kids when they get older. .

Also, you can save money by making stocks: just put cow or chicken bones in a pot, boil them for a long time, then save the resulting liquid.

supersnoop00 said:   I'm not aware of any shareholder meetings that come with a meal.

+ 1

The few meetings I have attended had some juice and bagels.

Venturion said:   OliverQuackenbush said:   tough crowd I had 9 burritos last time they had the promotion and only paid in for 1 gift card. That was a food deal with no downside.
Except for the free gas

OliverQuackenbush said:   
and to the pizza dude, i already have an angle to get low price pizza, you have it delivered to a house near you where they aren't home. you hang out outside and pretend to "notice" that the pizza guy was not able to deliver his pizza. if you pretend to feel bad for him and ask if hes just going to have to throw the pizza away, they will usually let it go for a few bucks. better than nothing for them, and you get a discount. its a win-win

How would this possibly work? I would think the pizza guy would have to pay for it out of his pocket if he would come back without the pizza. It also seems like a pretty ridiculous way to save a few bucks on pizza.

I must get about 5 offers a month to attend retirement planning seminars that are held at a local restaurant which includes a meal and drinks. I'm no where close to retirement so I don't know how I got on their mailing list, but if you are looking for a free meal try to get on their mailing list. I've never actually attend anyone of them.

I recall DOLE used to make a nice display of showings at the meetings and encouraged people to take the cans with them when they left. I think the rest just got donated.

I do recall MCD did cater something to the northbrook annual meeting (years ago)

Skipping 13 Messages...
mickcris said:   OliverQuackenbush said:   

How would this possibly work? I would think the pizza guy would have to pay for it out of his pocket if he would come back without the pizza. It also seems like a pretty ridiculous way to save a few bucks on pizza.

Yeah, I call liar liar pants on fire.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014