• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
Here are some ACTUAL auction sales on the vehicle you are looking: (It might not line up correctly)

2006 MERCEDES-BENZ S Class Sedan 4D S350
Week Region Price Mileage
3 Eastern (PA) $21,000 21,307
6 Southeast (FL) $17,400 40,545
5 Pacific Northwest (CA HI) $16,400 50,450
3 Southeast $14,400 69,853
10 Southeast (FL) $15,000 71,508
6 Pacific Northwest (CA HI) $14,700 74,634
10 Pacific Northwest (CA HI) $15,300 74,921
9 Pacific Northwest (CA HI) $12,200 76,180
7 Southeast (GA) $14,000 78,380
12 Eastern $10,250 97,693
3 Southeast (GA) $9,900 98,009
2 Pacific Northwest (CA HI) $10,800 98,389
3 Eastern (PA) $12,000 98,713
7 Pacific Northwest (CA HI) $9,300 100,051
4 Midwest (IL) $10,200 100,178
7 Southwest (NM AZ NV UT) $10,300 101,110
11 Pacific Northwest (CA HI) $8,500 116,557
4 Pacific Northwest (CA HI) $9,500 116,804
3 Eastern $9,100 120,997
11 Pacific Northwest (CA HI) $6,600 160,423
8 Southeast (FL) $8,400 201,983

These number lead me to believe that the dealer owns the car in the $12k-$13k range.

sailinlight said:   dishdude said:   Why would you spend that kind of money on a 7 year old used car? Go buy a new Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta.

Haha I always think of people who buy Kias, "why would you spend that kind of money on a POS new car when you can have a few year old top of the line luxury model". To each his own.

I see someone riding around in a 10 year old luxury car and immediately think "poor man's Mercedes" and that they are trying a little too hard to impress.

sailinlight said:   dishdude said:   Why would you spend that kind of money on a 7 year old used car? Go buy a new Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta.

Haha I always think of people who buy Kias, "why would you spend that kind of money on a POS new car when you can have a few year old top of the line luxury model". To each his own.

+1. I'd rather have something used and nice (Luxury Sedan) than something new and crappy.

christoj879 said:   In my search I've also found this guy who (as others have done and written about here with other dealers, not this guy though) will go to Manheim for you for 10% of the purchase price.

10% is too much if you are getting a car over $5K. Any good dealer will do it for you for $500. If I were local I would have done it

dishdude said:   sailinlight said:   dishdude said:   Why would you spend that kind of money on a 7 year old used car? Go buy a new Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta.

I see someone riding around in a 10 year old luxury car and immediately think "poor man's Mercedes" and that they are trying a little too hard to impress.
exactly. someone riding around in a 12year old range rover and thinking they are a baller.

dishdude said:   Why would you spend that kind of money on a 7 year old used car? Go buy a new Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta.
18 months from now, you're driving an old Kia.

rmhop said:   dishdude said:   sailinlight said:   dishdude said:   Why would you spend that kind of money on a 7 year old used car? Go buy a new Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta.

exactly. someone riding around in a 12year old range rover and thinking they are a baller.

I ride around in my 10 year old e39 M5 and I think it's still a pretty baller ride.

DaGimp said:   rmhop said:   dishdude said:   sailinlight said:   dishdude said:   Why would you spend that kind of money on a 7 year old used car? Go buy a new Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta.

I ride around in my 10 year old e39 M5 and I think it's still a pretty baller ride.
fixed

Sector7500 said:   Here are some ACTUAL auction sales on the vehicle you are looking:

So you don't think it matters that the S350 in question is not a product of MBUSA?

Honestly, I don't think it matters.

taxmantoo said:   Sector7500 said:   Here are some ACTUAL auction sales on the vehicle you are looking:

So you don't think it matters that the S350 in question is not a product of MBUSA?

rmhop said:   DaGimp said:   rmhop said:   dishdude said:   sailinlight said:   dishdude said:   Why would you spend that kind of money on a 7 year old used car? Go buy a new Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta.

fixed

I have a 10 year old range rover and 13 year old Sclass. I could give a $&@@ about what people think of me . The only thing that matters is that I like the cars and personally prefer them to a 2013 econobox . I rent 2013 models from econobox to full size , and not a single one drives as nice as my decade old cars .

Screw what people think of you, do what you enjoy. Btw you'll love the sclass but I really recommend getting the LWB v8 models over the s350 which was a short wheelbase model

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   rmhop said:   DaGimp said:   rmhop said:   dishdude said:   sailinlight said:   dishdude said:   Why would you spend that kind of money on a 7 year old used car? Go buy a new Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta.

fixed

I have a 10 year old range rover and 13 year old Sclass. I could give a $&@@ about what people think of me . The only thing that matters is that I like the cars and personally prefer them to a 2013 econobox . I rent 2013 models from econobox to full size , and not a single one drives as nice as my decade old cars .

Screw what people think of you, do what you enjoy. Btw you'll love the sclass but I really recommend getting the LWB v8 models over the s350 which was a short wheelbase model
I imagine that's what Charlie Sheen is thinking when he's banging Bree Olson.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   rmhop said:   DaGimp said:   rmhop said:   dishdude said:   sailinlight said:   dishdude said:   Why would you spend that kind of money on a 7 year old used car? Go buy a new Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta.

fixed

Damn. I thought I saw a difference between the S350 and S430. I do love the LWB...

I'm hearing from another W220 owner that the 4Matic is something worth having.

Nearby there's an 05 S430, 75k for $16,819. Purchased at auction on 4/8 and listed last week. Any auction numbers on this model?

christoj879 said:   I'm hearing from another W220 owner that the 4Matic is something worth having.

Nearby there's an 05 S430, 75k for $16,819. Purchased at auction on 4/8 and listed last week. Any auction numbers on this model?

VIN? PM it

fixed

doesn't necessarily apply to you, but there are plenty of people in the 20-40 age range who have Louis Vuitton purses hanging off their arms with big faced watches who say they drive a "Range Rover" only to find out it's 15 years old and barely runs.

i used to sell cars and i would hesitate to sell for $500 over cost. Simply not worth the time it takes for all the damn paperwork, etc. Unless the car has been sitting a long time and no one has seemed interested in it, then maybe. If I've had quite a few bites on the car lately, no way I'm selling it for $500 over cost. If I simply like the car myself, I'm not getting rid of it without making more money. There are tons of unknown factors. Personally I like the "make 1 offer and take it or leave it" strategy. It pays to be patient. like a previous poster said, they might call a month later and take your offer. that is not the norm. people have usually bought something 3 days after they decide to start looking.

rmhop said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   rmhop said:   DaGimp said:   rmhop said:   dishdude said:   sailinlight said:   dishdude said:   Why would you spend that kind of money on a 7 year old used car? Go buy a new Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta.

fixed

doesn't necessarily apply to you, but there are plenty of people in the 20-40 age range who have Louis Vuitton purses hanging off their arms .

Well that stereotype definitely applies to the ladies in my range rover
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/fwfinance/FE9F37EF-5D9D-418F-9D39-C06F532002AF-4850-000006B54D11A1CD_zpsfb5923c4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/fwfinance/1C52E86C-147F-4396-B6A0-425EAE6DF972-4850-000006B52D7D898C_zps941f2077.jpg

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   rmhop said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   rmhop said:   DaGimp said:   rmhop said:   dishdude said:   sailinlight said:   dishdude said:   Why would you spend that kind of money on a 7 year old used car? Go buy a new Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta.

fixed

doesn't necessarily apply to you, but there are plenty of people in the 20-40 age range who have Louis Vuitton purses hanging off their arms .

Well that stereotype definitely applies to the ladies in my range rover
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/fwfinance/FE9F37EF-5D9D-4...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/fwfinance/1C52E86C-147F-4...

Nice pics SIS. Had any significant problems with your Mark III/L322?

lol - the first dealer with the S350 that told me it was sold emailed me this week and said if I was still in town to give them a call.

My focus has shifted, and while I'm still looking for an S class, I also have a Civic GX (natural gas) in my sights as there's a new station near me that's $2.49/gal.

Also, just in case anybody doesn't know, I was shocked to see how much money is being given to people who buy new alt fuel vehicles. In PA, it's $3k from the state and $7500 from the federal govt for a Volt/Leaf, and for a new Civic GX, $1k from PA, $3600 from the federal govt and $3000 in fuel from Honda.

christoj879 said:   
Also, just in case anybody doesn't know, I was shocked to see how much money is being given to people who buy new alt fuel vehicles. In PA, it's $3k from the state and $7500 from the federal govt for a Volt/Leaf, and for a new Civic GX, $1k from PA, $3600 from the federal govt and $3000 in fuel from Honda.

Thanks for the heads up.

christoj879 said:   lol - the first dealer with the S350 that told me it was sold emailed me this week and said if I was still in town to give them a call.

My focus has shifted, and while I'm still looking for an S class, I also have a Civic GX (natural gas) in my sights as there's a new station near me that's $2.49/gal.

The problem is the prices for the cars are inflated over $10k. So it is really only going to the automakers. Look at the price of used Leafs. They can be had for under $18K while they are over 30K new. Hardly worth it.

Some leasing companies will actually roll the federal rebate into a lease but then the redisuals aren't great. 2 years at 12K miles per year on Focus Electrics are 54% and 3/36 is 47% - hardly a bargin.

christoj879 said:   Currently 0 for 3.

Second one I didn't call and it wasn't on the lot - "a lot boy backed into it and it's getting its bumper repainted." I'll check it out when it comes back.

Third one I came and looked at had a disc changer full of Baptist Gospel music and an aftermarket headrest DVD system in it (I've learned that aftermarket electrical work is bad news).

Still, I went to talk numbers on the third. They had it online at $9900. I was coming in around $8k, but I started at $7500 because of the DVD system (that didn't work - one monitor didn't work and the disc wouldn't eject).

Guy came back and said "there's no way we can make a deal here, all of our prices are before $2,000 cash or trade-in." I can get pissed at a listing online that manipulates its search rankings in this way, but to not put it in your listing is BS. Total waste of time, and I'll shame them here - Colonial Nissan of Feasterville, PA. Way to not be transparent with your pricing.

LOL colonial are a bunch of crooks. I went there a couple weeks ago to look at a car I found online. I get there and magically the price is up 5k and it didn't have the factory tires/rim like I asked earlier in the week.

Good luck with your findings. I have been on the market for a used car for weeks now and still haven't found a deal I like.

Ugh, now I'm going full circle. It must be the FW in me, but now my sights are on a CNG P71. So, paging delzy I guess.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/3775499773.html

Through Googling it a lot I can see the seller has had the car for at least a year and lowered the price $3k in that time, but to be honest I think $9k is a ton for a P71 even if it is CNG. I'm thinking more like $4k. Any thoughts?

christoj879 said:   Ugh, now I'm going full circle. It must be the FW in me, but now my sights are on a CNG P71

Resistance is futile

christoj879 said:   I think $9k is a ton for a P71 even if it is CNG. I'm thinking more like $4k. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking more like $4k if you could fill it up at a gas station, $2k if you have to find some place to stuff it with NG at SCUBA pressures.

The original fleet buyer paid a premium for CNG, but it's probably basically worthless to anybody who is not a major fleet user with CNG refueling on site.

christoj879 said:   Ugh, now I'm going full circle. It must be the FW in me, but now my sights are on a CNG P71. So, paging delzy I guess.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/3775499773.html

Through Googling it a lot I can see the seller has had the car for at least a year and lowered the price $3k in that time, but to be honest I think $9k is a ton for a P71 even if it is CNG. I'm thinking more like $4k. Any thoughts?

The CNG vics sell for less than gas in DC. Problem is all the CNG stations are for fleet vehicles. Can't find a public one.

I should find someone with a $500 Geo Metro and take it.

Now I'm at an 05 S60 100k. They paid $5800 for it, selling it for $10k. I can get a 1 year Volvo warranty for $1600 from a dealer that advertises online. I'm going to offer $6500 plus $1600 for the same warranty. I know the warranty sounds like a lot, and I'm considering Route 66 from PenFed (or nothing at all), but I figure I can use it as a bargaining chip to get the deal to go through and get coverage out of it too. Or should I skip the coverage and offer $7k?

First round of communications they came down to $9400 off the bat.

Edit: they told me to go to hell. On I go.

Considering I can't find a deal that I like and the screws are turning on me to pick something and get the process over with, I've decided to lease and in the interim I can make up my mind.

2013 Smart fortwo passion coupe with nav and comfort package (yes I test drove one and yes I like it, it's only 3 years that I'll have to drive it if I don't continue to like it)

$16580 is the dealer's price, and here's their breakdown on a lease (otd payments with taxes and local taxes included):

$149.33 Payment With $2,088.33 cod

$999.00 Cap cost reduction
$149.33 First months payment
$295.00 Mercedes acquisition fee
$350.00 PA DMV
$295.00 Dealer Doc charge
------------
$2,088.33

At the end of the lease the buyout is $9119 or a disposition fee of $400. 30k miles/$0.25 over (kind of low, 833 miles a month).

I qualify for a $1000 current MB owner credit to either put towards cash due or lower the monthly payments.

Thoughts? Another small part of this is that while I like working on cars, work is picking up and it's getting harder to take a day to fix something.

Edit: doesn't have the nav package.

The end of the saga is I'm picking it up this week - $1k otd and $149/mo all in and 15k miles/year.

posted this in a more recent BMW thread, but no response. Hopefully I can get some advice here:

been eyeing a 2002 CLK 320 w/57,000 miles sitting at a Honda Dealership (I think since early April). Asking price is $12,799. It's got the K3 & K4 Package. Per the Carfax, it seems in very good - excellent condition, no accidents reported, all routine maintenance service at an MB dealership on schedule. NADA prices say dealer retail should be $10,000 based on mileage, but i think that's too high. most likely it was a trade=in. I really don't like negotiating back and forth, and all reviews of this dealership are horrendous. I'm afraid offering a "fair" price will backfire. Any suggestions on pricing or negotiating tips? also anyone have any advice on a this model (mechanics and repairs, etc). thanks!

Off lower than you want to pay and work up to your price. If after 2 or 3 numbers back and forth they're not coming close, just leave. They'll call you the next day, they always do. I just bought an SUV and it's amazing how many of them want to make a deal. Also don't take it hard when you lose a deal. Like they say, "you win some. You lose some."

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014