Selling Burial Plots

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I inherited 4 burial plots in a cemetery that I have no use of. What's the best way going forward of selling these? The Cemetery is selling these for $ 4495 each and their best plots sell for $ 4995 with the cheapest being $ 1995. Well at least that's their list price. I asked them to buy them back at a reasonable price, however, they were not interested. They just don't do buybacks.

I am wondering if anyone has experience in selling these. I have put up an ad in Craigslist at $ 3500 a piece, however, that hasn't really had much traction. Therefore, looking for some advice from the folks out here.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
any one tel me which is the best seller in pinole for burial pots which affordable prices?

lowcostgraves (Apr. 23, 2013 @ 5:58a) |

build a mini house on the 4 plots if they are next to each other

johnfkennedy (Apr. 23, 2013 @ 4:53p) |

What about utilities? You could get solar panels for power, but what about plumbing? It might be kind of creepy going ... (more)

civ2k1 (Apr. 23, 2013 @ 5:48p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Sounds like you got the awkward end of the inheritance!

Jimmy gets the boat, Suzie gets the house, and you got.. the extra burial plots..

Maybe you should make it clear whether they are used or not.

Maybe CL is not the best place to look for prospective buyers. I dont what is a good place --- perhaps local churches, senior center, etc.

Just hang on to them. Maybe they will build a highway through the cemetery one day and will have to reimburse you for triple!

They can be difficult to sell. Search the web for sites that exclusively list burial plots for sale (there are a few) but don't pay to list them (unless it's on commission after they sell). As an alternative, you can consider donating them to hospice or a victim's assistance program or a church for a tax write-off.

This whole burial thing is a giant scam. The cemetery will sell you plots stating that you can resell at anytime. But the truth is that any future buyer will get hit by a host of other fees when they actually put someone into the ground.

uutxs said:   Maybe CL is not the best place to look for prospective buyers. I dont what is a good place --- perhaps local churches, senior center, etc.

Try funeral homes. Offer them money if they bring you a buyer.

Land for sale, deadbeats only.

Can you subdivide to allow for urns? 995 on CL would sell

eBay?
advertise in Church newsletter?
advertise in newsletter @ nearby Senior home/community?

I also like stanolshefski's idea about offering a bounty to a funeral home. Maybe even a consignment shop

bring some lawn chairs and have a bbq?

gravesolutions

thecemetaryregistry

there are many more of these type of burial plot resale sites. search for your city and see what others are getting for similar plots. i don't have any experience with any of these sites but there are lots of people out there looking to unload their plots.

Funeral homes seem the best place

You'll have to offer a substantial commission

germanpope said:   bring some lawn chairs and have a bbq?

just bring the chairs...dead people will have their own bbq

they wont sell, id buy a storage shed from Home Depot and make a man cave for drinking and watching tv. can you get power out to the plots. im assuming they are adjacent to each other.

Build a gym on that land

lemonade stand?
plant some cactus?
get a group of friends together and play red rover?

If you annoy the cemetary owners enough, they might buy back your plots just to get rid of you. They probably have a short fuse for shenanigans since they rarely deal with "problem tenants"

You left out "flower Stand"?!!!

civ2k1 said:   lemonade stand?
plant some cactus?

If you annoy the cemetary owners enough, they might buy back your plots just to get rid of you. They probably have a short fuse for shenanigans since they rarely deal with "problem tenants"

I was thinking about buying them as an investment. I heard from my friend that people do that in Los Angeles (Rose Hills Cemetery). People pay $10K or more for one plot. I guess it depends on your location. In LA, most real estate go up in value.

I, personally, take the minimalist approach and don't care about plot. Plots fight over space with the people living on earth. I prefer to be cremated and ashes scattered.

The Market for Burial Plots is dead.

Don't sell them, just save them for your whole family... just joking

I am wondering why did he have so many unused plots. Where did the intended corpses go?

If they are adjacent, and in a cemetery where space is tight, it might be that they are worth more together than they are sold separately -- for example,
if several members of a family wish to be buried side-by-side,
or if someone wants to put up some kind of larger monument that would occupy more than one plot (if that's allowed in that cemetery),
or if a larger person requires one of those extra-huge caskets and it won't fit within one normal-sized plot.

Would be good to target people who are already thinking about this kind of thing and who are likely to be interested in that cemetery. Is there any place near the entrance(s) of that cemetery where you would be allowed to put up a flyer? Or, how about some spot in or near local hospitals and/or nursing homes where you could put a flyer up.

Putting a small ad in a local newspaper might bring more interest than Craig's List, because plenty of your target market will be the over-70s who don't do computer/internet stuff and who still subscribe to daily delivery of the local paper and read every single page, sometimes even the classifieds.

music4u4 said:   I am wondering if anyone has experience in selling these. I have put up an ad in Craigslist at $ 2500 a piece, however, that hasn't really had much traction
There are brokers who resell these things, for a commission of course. 50% of retail price is unlikely

Where do you live? Someone on here might be interested in taking them off your hands.

=

Also interested to know where you live.
all joking and morbidness aside...... not a bad investment to buy at a discount.
It's not like I'll have the option of renting LOL

civ2k1 said:   lemonade stand?
plant some cactus?

My dorm in college was across the street from a cemetery and whenever there was a funeral, someone would always announce that the beer tent was up across the street.

Build a condo.....

gingermae said:   civ2k1 said:   lemonade stand?
plant some cactus?

My dorm in college was across the street from a cemetery and whenever there was a funeral, someone would always announce that the beer tent was up across the street.

Post-college, I lived across the street from a cemetery. That was the quietest place I ever lived.

civ2k1 said:   gingermae said:   civ2k1 said:   lemonade stand?
plant some cactus?

Post-college, I lived across the street from a cemetery. That was the quietest place I ever lived.

So the neighborhood was dead?

sjepps said:   civ2k1 said:   gingermae said:   civ2k1 said:   lemonade stand?
plant some cactus?

So the neighborhood was dead?

Yup - a real snoozer.

You wants speak wid Vinny bout' dat? We's looking at an upcoming need, um, Tuesday.

Interesting, I thought people would be dying to get one of these.

I hope you can urn some money selling these.

Team up with Ghost Hunters and buy some special effects and put up some fake headstones so people think those plots are haunted.

Our family has a mausoleum. The funeral director at the cemetery said that people sell them all the time and said that she can list it for us if we like. She even looked up what the current selling price. I did not ask about any fees they would take, but was shocked at how much they are worth.

Thanks for all the responses. Some pretty hilarious. These are all in the Chicago suburb and are adjacent to each other. So, if anyone's interested please PM me. This market seems to be quite a shocker. I posed as a buyer and the cemetery was not willing to budge on the prices. However, I have no idea about how to move them. I will look into putting an ad in the paper and the websites specializing in these things.

You will get pennies for these no matter if you sell them today or 2 years from now. It's an inheritance, found money, sell them for a few bucks and buy some H&B.

Skipping 17 Messages...
johnfkennedy said:   build a mini house on the 4 plots if they are next to each other

What about utilities? You could get solar panels for power, but what about plumbing? It might be kind of creepy going to the outhouse late at night surrounded by all those ghosts.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014