• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Does anyone know if Sam's Club counts as a grocery store for Cash Back credit cards? I buy most of my groceries here and I'd like to get Cash Back from here. I noticed there's a Sam's Club card by Discover but it would only get me about 0.25%. Which credit card has the highest Cash Back for Sam's Club?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
And your comment is some how relate to what card is the bezt? I already presented my analysis. Where is yours? Just ign... (more)

vagrants (Sep. 08, 2013 @ 12:37p) |

Isnt BJ's better than Sam Club because BJ accepts Visa and Mastercard and manufacturer coupons?

bankdealsrule (Sep. 08, 2013 @ 5:19p) |

Probably...but BJ isn't near me.

BJ's Wholesale Club has over 180 locations in 15 states:
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida... (more)

vagrants (Sep. 09, 2013 @ 3:39a) |

Would have to be Mastercard or Discover
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I get 1% Cash Back on all my Discover purchases and just use that. FYI, Sam's Club is not considered a grocery store, it is a Wholesale Club and you will probably never see an additional rewards bump for those stores.

From my discover statement:
Merchant Category Description WHOLESALE CLUBS

There are lots of 1% Mastercard and Discover products. That's probably the best you can do in credit cards.

Here's a 1% Discover card:
http://www.amazon.com/Discover-it/dp/B00AW3IXZO

Another option would be to buy discounted Wal-Mart gift cards:

http://www.giftcardgranny.com/store/walmart/

Discover Escape is a 2% travel card (with an annual fee) that I use quite heavily that also works at Sams Club.

2% is valid on travel expenses (airfare, lodging, etc.) OR is valid on Amazon.com purchases at 1:1 if you link your card (this is what I redeem my cask back for).

$60 annual fee but you get $10/month for the first 25 months to offset ($250 total - $120 annual fee = $130 benefit over 2 years).

If you buy enough at Sam's this is a good card to have.

Otherwise, you can buy a gift card at a Wal-Mart with a card that honors this as a grocery story (eg, my PenFed card considers Wal-Mart grocery @ 3%).

w3stfa11 said:   Does anyone know if Sam's Club counts as a grocery store for Cash Back credit cards? I buy most of my groceries here and I'd like to get Cash Back from here. I noticed there's a Sam's Club card by Discover but it would only get me about 0.25%. Which credit card has the highest Cash Back for Sam's Club?

Sam's Club does not qualify as Grocery on any card that I know of.

For direct purchases I would recommend a Discover It card. That will give 1% back at Sam's. Or any rewards MasterCard, though that would probably top out at 1% as well.

OTOH, most Grocery bonus cards (e.g. the 5% Sallie Mae M/C) treat WalMart as grocery. You can always buy G/C at WalMart and use them at Sam's.

Chris.

Capital One Cash Mastercard = 1.5% at Sams.

No annual fee, No gift card shenanigans, and it posts the 1% CB very quickly. The .5 posts on the card anniversary. No weird threshold rules either.

cfusion1 said:   Discover Escape is a 2% travel card (with an annual fee) that I use quite heavily that also works at Sams Club.

I don't think the Discover Escape is offered anymore.

Fidelity AMEX - buy WalMart giftcards and get 2% CashBack then use at Sams.

Find a WalMart registrar that rings up as grocery, and then buy WalMart gift cards there.

daw4888 said:   Find a WalMart registrar that rings up as grocery, and then buy WalMart gift cards there.

When have you ever found this proverbial white elephant register?

DamnoIT said:   daw4888 said:   Find a WalMart registrar that rings up as grocery, and then buy WalMart gift cards there.

That isn't the hard part, lots of registers at Super Walmarts and Super Targets ring up as grocery. The tough part is finding a grocery rewards program that doesn't explicitly exclude those types of stores regardless of MCC ( Chase, Citi, and I believe AMEX too all have provisions for that ).

Is the Priceline rewards mastercard still 2%? Sams takes mastercard.

oopsz said:   Is the Priceline rewards mastercard still 2%? Sams takes mastercard.

The Priceline card appears to be a Visa:

http://www.priceline.com/promo/priceline_rewards_card.asp

cpaynter said:   w3stfa11 said:   Does anyone know if Sam's Club counts as a grocery store for Cash Back credit cards? I buy most of my groceries here and I'd like to get Cash Back from here. I noticed there's a Sam's Club card by Discover but it would only get me about 0.25%. Which credit card has the highest Cash Back for Sam's Club?

Sam's Club does not qualify as Grocery on any card that I know of.

For direct purchases I would recommend a Discover It card. That will give 1% back at Sam's. Or any rewards MasterCard, though that would probably top out at 1% as well.

OTOH, most Grocery bonus cards (e.g. the 5% Sallie Mae M/C) treat WalMart as grocery. You can always buy G/C at WalMart and use them at Sam's.

Chris.

Thanks. I was already planning on getting a Discover It CC so this will work out. I was hoping to get more than 1% but that's OK. 1% is better than nothing. Thanks for the heads up on the Sallie Mae card, I'll give it some more thought.

You can also use AMEX BCP to buy $500 MC GCs (5.95 fee) @ a grocery store, and use those @ Sam's Club.

Comes out to 4.88% back after the fee.

You can get 2% using the Fidelity CashBack card by buying WalMart gift cards at WalMart and using them at Sam's. Or potentially get 3% back through buying WalMart gift cards at Superwalmarts with Penfed rewards visa (ymmv).

Keyboard said:   You can get 2% using the Fidelity CashBack card by buying WalMart gift cards at WalMart and using them at Sam's. Or potentially get 3% back through buying WalMart gift cards at Superwalmarts with Penfed rewards visa (ymmv).
Have you ever seen a WalMart GC at a supermarket?

SpeedingLunatic said:   You can also use AMEX BCP to buy $500 MC GCs (5.95 fee) @ a grocery store, and use those @ Sam's Club.

Typical, you forgot to count the $75 AF on the BCP. Overall CB is lower than 4.88%. With AF with $6000 annual limit, overall CB from the BCP is 4.75%. If $500 MC GC route is used, it's more like 3.51%.

Use Sallie Mae 5% from Barclay. Go WM, buy WM GC, then spend @ Sam's. Yeah, it's limited to $250/month, but that's fine with me.

mactv said:   Capital One Cash Mastercard = 1.5% at Sams.

No annual fee, No gift card shenanigans, and it posts the 1% CB very quickly. The .5 posts on the card anniversary. No weird threshold rules either.

Is the no AF MC version still offered? I got in before MC version started charging AF. I see VISA is no AF.

vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   You can also use AMEX BCP to buy $500 MC GCs (5.95 fee) @ a grocery store, and use those @ Sam's Club.

Typical, you forgot to count the $75 AF on the BCP. Overall CB is lower than 4.88%. With AF with $6000 annual limit, overall CB from the BCP is 4.75%. If $500 MC GC route is used, it's more like 3.51%.

Use Sallie Mae 5% from Barclay. Go WM, buy WM GC, then spend @ Sam's. Yeah, it's limited to $250/month, but that's fine with me.

BCP is good for more than just the 6% category, but sure, you could do the math that way too.

SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   You can also use AMEX BCP to buy $500 MC GCs (5.95 fee) @ a grocery store, and use those @ Sam's Club.

BCP is good for more than just the 6% category, but sure, you could do the math that way too.

If you are optimizing spends, you only use BCP for groceries -- other cards produce better Cash Back on everything else.

When churning, additional CL can be more useful than additional % back.

The WalMart Neighborhood Market are coded as supermarket and sell gift cards. I just bought $50 yesterday for use at WalMart/Sams

kb2120 said:   DamnoIT said:   daw4888 said:   Find a WalMart registrar that rings up as grocery, and then buy WalMart gift cards there.

That isn't the hard part, lots of registers at Super Walmarts and Super Targets ring up as grocery. The tough part is finding a grocery rewards program that doesn't explicitly exclude those types of stores regardless of MCC ( Chase, Citi, and I believe AMEX too all have provisions for that ).

Not true with Chase as of early 2012. WalMart is no longer excluded as a grocery category. And a WalMart coded as grocery counts as grocery on the SallieMae card for 5%.

Chris.

Snezz said:   The WalMart Neighborhood Market are coded as supermarket and sell gift cards. I just bought $50 yesterday for use at WalMart/Sams

That is what I do also for many years already, works great!!!

Edit: Nevermind, just looked online. No fee and no tax is applied.

It's been a while since I bought gift cards at WM. Doesn't tax apply on the gift card? Is there a fee when buying a gift card?

No and no.

SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   You can also use AMEX BCP to buy $500 MC GCs (5.95 fee) @ a grocery store, and use those @ Sam's Club.

OK, on Dept stores & Gas 3% and everything else 1%. How do you get your 4.88% from "other" categories to use @ Sam's specifically?

My math is complete instead of giving "snapshot" math.

Edit: since I said "complete" I should put a disclaimer here. I have to spend $6k to get 4.75%. If you spend less, your overall CB gets worse. If you spend $5k on the BCP, the overall CB is (($5k)*6%)-$75=$225. ($225/$5k)*100=4.5%.

How about using a 5% Cash Back card everywhere else and cashing out your rewards for WalMart gift cards.

maddybeagle said:   How about using a 5% Cash Back card everywhere else and cashing out your rewards for WalMart gift cards.

I rather not to accumulate rewards then spend or spend first then compensate later with the CB. I'd like to get CB as needed basis, but I have choices. If no choices, yes.

I don't know this is discussed, but I'll look into one of those CB portals. The last time I checked, at least one of the portal gives you CB or points for "Click-n-Pull." I know UPromise, FatWallet, eBates, topcashback, etc. exclude Click-n-Pull. The last time I checked, I saw 1.5% CB portal (I wish I remember what it was...but I use the one that earns points for Click-n-Pull).

cpaynter said:   kb2120 said:   DamnoIT said:   daw4888 said:   Find a WalMart registrar that rings up as grocery, and then buy WalMart gift cards there.

Not true with Chase as of early 2012. WalMart is no longer excluded as a grocery category. And a WalMart coded as grocery counts as grocery on the SallieMae card for 5%.

Chris.

Possibly by coincidence, 2Q2012 is also the last time Chase Freedom has had grocery as a category.

vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   You can also use AMEX BCP to buy $500 MC GCs (5.95 fee) @ a grocery store, and use those @ Sam's Club.

OK, on Dept stores & Gas 3% and everything else 1%. How do you get your 4.88% from "other" categories to use @ Sam's specifically?

Edit: since I said "complete" I should put a disclaimer here. I have to spend $6k to get 4.75%. If you spend less, your overall CB gets worse. If you spend $5k on the BCP, the overall CB is (($5k)*6%)-$75=$225. ($225/$5k)*100=4.5%.

Add 500k of gas station spend to that calculation and see how it comes out.

SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   You can also use AMEX BCP to buy $500 MC GCs (5.95 fee) @ a grocery store, and use those @ Sam's Club.

No thanks. I'm not stupid enough to charge $500k @ gas stations and use a card earning 3%.

So, for the BCP to be useful on other categories as you suggested, you must spend half a million. Whatever.

vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   You can also use AMEX BCP to buy $500 MC GCs (5.95 fee) @ a grocery store, and use those @ Sam's Club.

No thanks. I'm not stupid enough to charge $500k @ gas stations and use a card earning 3%.

So, for the BCP to be useful on other categories as you suggested, you must spend half a million. Whatever.

You missed the point. There is more to a credit card than one calculation. You can call it stupid all you want. Enjoy your 9-5.

SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   You can also use AMEX BCP to buy $500 MC GCs (5.95 fee) @ a grocery store, and use those @ Sam's Club.

You missed the point. There is more to a credit card than one calculation. You can call it stupid all you want. Enjoy your 9-5.

Show your calculation & exactly what you do to get 4.88% @ Sam's Club from Dept stores & Gas stations @ 3% and 1%. Stick with the topic.

Edit: No, I didn't miss your point. How stupid your claim was. Yeah, let's utilize half a million just to get 5% @ Sam's Club.

vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   vagrants said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   You can also use AMEX BCP to buy $500 MC GCs (5.95 fee) @ a grocery store, and use those @ Sam's Club.

Show your calculation & exactly what you do to get 4.88% @ Sam's Club from Dept stores & Gas stations @ 3% and 1%. Stick with the topic.

Edit: No, I didn't miss your point. How stupid your claim was. Yeah, let's utilize half a million just to get 5% @ Sam's Club.

Yes, you did, and clearly still do. Not going to bother with this anymore...

SpeedingLunatic said:   
Yes, you did, and clearly still do. Not going to bother with this anymore...

Whatever, you can't show your calculation to back your claims up. And, you can't even stick with the topic. Oh, yeah, churn @ Super related gas stations buying Vanilla @$400/transaction or find a Sears that sells $100 VISA w/ $5.95 fee? How will that achieve 4.88% from the 3%? To achieve it, you combine with the grocery category making calculations more complex than necessary. No, I didn't miss your point. And, I have no interest what-so-ever figuring out what you do. Just unnecessary.

I love what I do 9 - 5 unlike you apparently. Since you can't get a job you like, you assumed I have the same situation. I love medial research, mostly cancer related. Thank you.

If you get a business Sam's Discover card, it will have unlimited 2% CB awarded annually. There are many ways to get a biz going.

so who has the bigger wang then?

Skipping 10 Messages...
bankdealsrule said:   Isnt BJ's better than Sam Club because BJ accepts Visa and Mastercard and manufacturer coupons?
Probably...but BJ isn't near me.

BJ's Wholesale Club has over 180 locations in 15 states:
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014