• Go to page :
  • 123 4
  • Text Only
What a great topic. I'm going to build upon two topics proposed earlier: ask a lawyer, and ask your gays. Here's a tip from one who is both: look in to trusts.

There are some amazingly creative, very effective methods for structuring your assets through trusts. And here's a little secret - at least two of the most powerful structures aren't available to married couples.

There is a local attorney who wrote a great book I'd suggest you read. Loving Without a License: An Estate Planning Survival Guide for Unmarried Couples and Same Sex Partners You'll become more familiar with the concepts and practices the attorney you're going to see will speak to you about.

Good luck!

altid said:   Probably a good idea for the medical PoA and HIPAA release forms. Everything should be on file already, but we wouldn't want to lose/waste time because of a glitch. The rest of the forms (wills, etc.), probably not as urgent.

You definitely need to have these forms where you can get to them in an emergency if one of you is incapacitated. There is more of an awareness of non-traditional couples now, so you probably won't have to fight just to see your s/o in the hospital, but you'll definitely need the legal authorization if you want to pull the plug or something.

Thanks for the link, NegligentPerSe. My partner and I are in a legal neverneverland right now. Married legally in MA but not in the state in which we reside. Hopefully this will get cleared up soon.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014