First Time Home Buyer

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have started searching for home and felt my knowledge is very limited on many things like

Mortgage Type FHA Loan or Traditional Loan
New Home or Old home advantage and disadvantage
Minimum payment
Other expenses besides bank processing charges

Is there any website which can help me ?

Member Summary

1. Speak to a lender to see what you qualify for loan-wise, what monthly payments you are comfortable with, how much house you can afford, etc.
2. New homes need less repair and maintenance. Old homes usually have more charm, and urban areas are usually full of older homes, if you desire to live closer to the action. If you don't have the stomach for potential issues that could be revealed during an inspection (unsafe or older wiring, deteriorating plumbing, wood rot, etc), you may want to lean towards a new home.
3. Regarding minimum payment, speak with a lender. Avoid PMI if possible, but depending on the type of loan you may qualify for, this might not be an issue.
4. Expenses may include loan closing fees, origination fee, points (if desired), credit report fee, appraisal fee, survey (if required), underwriter fee (junk), document preparation fee (junk), flood certificate (if required), up-front PMI premium (if required), mortgagee's title insurance, escrow fee, recording fee, state mortgage tax, broker's commission (junk if buyer), inspections (whole home, wood-destroying insects, chimney, sewer, radon, etc), homes association transfer fee (if required), home warranty (if desired), among others. A lot of these are lumped into "bank processing charges" as you call it, and a lot of them can be rolled into the loan principal.

Your questions are very general. I think you will find a lot of good information if you just search for something like "How does buying a home work?"

Or, you can buy a book (they still exist) if that would be easier than searching the web and piecing together the information:
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Buying-Dummies-Eric-Tyson/dp/11181179...

Spend some time (renting or whatever) in the neighborhood / area you're looking to buy to get a feel for the area. Or at the very least, read up on it (city-data is a good start).

Check out this site, it will help you learn a lot. Especially the Mistakes to Avoid section.
http://www.mtgprofessor.com/

Thanks all!

It is better to speak to a mortgage broker or a lender in this regard. You may even take a look at the given page to know about the different types of mortgage loans available in the market: http://www.mortgagefit.com/loan-programs.html

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014