• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I had been a lurker so far. Searched, didn't find anything.

My car: BMW 325I 2006. While reversing, I hit the curb with my right rear tire at a very low speed (it just went in the groove between road and sidewalk and screeched into it - I know I feel very bad), and the rear tire is kind of pushed back. I have insurance (comprehensive: 500 deduct), but no AAA (Geico covers road side).

My dealer is about 14 miles from me, and so far I have used them for all (bought it new). Free AAA towing (if I decide to go for it) is only 7 miles. But I heard using insurance for towing may increase premium. Involving insurance for the repairs never occured to me until I went to a local alignment shop. He told me that control arm looks bent, and may cost unto 1000 to fix it.

From my research, repairs may cost anywhere from 1000 - 3000, hoping for the lower side.. Any experienced folks, would you please help me decide what to do? This car has been good to me (sorry for this curb thing again), and I have no intention of selling this car.

Im in San Diego.

Thanks..

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
No, he bought the Cadillac during 2008/2009 crisis to bail-out GM.

Kinasharma01 (Apr. 30, 2013 @ 4:08p) |

I feel sorry for him, his car is slower than a Toyota Camry.

tennis8363 (Apr. 30, 2013 @ 11:53p) |

But 4 times nicer...

trekwars2000 (May. 01, 2013 @ 10:30p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What's your alt id?

e9583

Well, searched again with different keywords, and found some threads:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/637305/

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1041420/

Reading them now..

Qcumber98, Redcelica - Thanks for taking time to read, and post something useless for all of us..

How does this thread benefit this forum in any way?

e9582 said: Qcumber98, Redcelica - Thanks for taking time to read, and post something useless for all of us..
Thanks for providing yet another data point that that yes, BMW drivers are dbags.

Crazytree said:   How does this thread benefit this forum in any way?

Save money.

If somebody suggests a way of saving money, it will help not only me, but others as well.

I have been using please and thank you in my daily routine as well as here. Please guys, if you want to help, do help; else do something useful.

RedCelicaGT said:   e9582 said: Qcumber98, Redcelica - Thanks for taking time to read, and post something useless for all of us..
Thanks for providing yet another data point that that yes, BMW drivers are dbags.

Not all! I'm not... Unless you are going 60 in tha fast lane or park too close to my car.

Too bad OP is not in LA. I have a bunch of BMW non-dealer hookups.

Is this real life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs

OP you should:
0. put on your spare tire and drive on that while you do the following
1. go to bimmerforums.com
2. go to the marketplace
3. put up a WTB ad for your wheel type
4. buy a used wheel from someone (stock wheel... probably $200-400?)
5. go to a tire shop and have them mount the same tire that is on your car (the brand, size, etc. can be found on the sidewall of your tires) ($150-300?)
6. either do it yourself or have tire company put new wheel on your car
7. save yourself lots of money, do not file insurance claim
8. clean up my tears of "if this real life?" with dollar bills saved

First of all, it sounds like it's more of damage covered by collision coverage, not comprehensive. Make sure that first.

If you have roadside coverage with Geico, then I doubt the premium would go up. But if you don't and the cost of towing is covered as a part of insurance claim for whole repair process, then of course, it may cause the premium to go up.

e9582 said:   Qcumber98, Redcelica - Thanks for taking time to read, and post something useless for all of us..

Once again, why bother paying for insurance if you're never going to use them? But more importantly, why did you create an alt id? Did you not want to besmirch your lurker id? Or, are you afraid the curb you hit is going to do a Google search and use the details in this thread to build a lawsuit against you? And when did you start speaking for "all of us"?

e9582 said:   Crazytree said:   How does this thread benefit this forum in any way?

Save money.

If somebody suggests a way of saving money, it will help not only me, but others as well.

I have been using please and thank you in my daily routine as well as here. Please guys, if you want to help, do help; else do something useful.

Why do so many think that everyone is here to help them? People are here to learn about ways of making a few easy bucks. You should post useful info, not beg for it.

Is the car certified pre-owned from BMW? If so you get free towing directly from BMW.

qcumber98 said:   e9582 said:   Qcumber98, Redcelica - Thanks for taking time to read, and post something useless for all of us..

Once again, why bother paying for insurance if you're never going to use them? But more importantly, why did you create an alt id? Did you not want to besmirch your lurker id? Or, are you afraid the curb you hit is going to do a Google search and use the details in this thread to build a lawsuit against you? And when did you start speaking for "all of us"?

Maybe "curb" means "neighbor's 8 year old son"?

Quikboy4 said:   Maybe "curb" means "neighbor's 8 year old son"?

Lionel Hutz:
"Well, he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word 'kinda' with the word 'repeatedly' and the word 'dog' with 'son'."

Get the wheel re balanced and move on with life OP.

First, is your 7 year old bimmer out of extended warranty? If so find a good indy mechanic and stop paying stealer service prices.

Second, likely, an OEM stock wheel for a 06 3 series is under $200 - http://www.wheelcollision.com/BMW5a.htm. Just buy a new one and remount the tire. Might want to do a 4 wheel alignment, esp. if you haven't every done one anyway.

ETA: I missed that the control arms are bent. If that is the case it shouldn't cost as much as you were quoted. See #1 above. I just did both front upper control arms on my 7 with an alignment and it was $850. I would imagine the control arms on the 3 are much less than the 7. The guy is likely talking about part #18 in this diagram. It is ~$100.

Call the dealership and have someone arrange to pick up your car. BMWs are tricky to tow and if you get your average tow truck guy out there they may mess up your drive train.

After reading what must be 30 or 40 of these AltID threads my conclusion is that there is one or two individual that are needy of attention and feels compelled to dream up "interesting" situations so they some currency to interact with other FW posters. Frankly it's sad because this individual clearly has an inferiority complex because they sit at home and continuously have to make up stuff rather than experience real world situations. I mean come on.... FW isn't your own private sandbox.

double post..

do178b said:   After reading what must be 30 or 40 of these AltID threads my conclusion is that there is one or two individual that are needy of attention and feels compelled to dream up "interesting" situations so they some currency to interact with other FW posters. Frankly it's sad because this individual clearly has an inferiority complex because they sit at home and continuously have to make up stuff rather than experience real world situations. I mean come on.... FW isn't your own private sandbox.

OK - Let me first say thanks for people who chimed in with good suggestions.. kiasuchick, kmully, everydayebay, dobby, water, trekwars, lostjake - thanks! I bought the car new in 06, and this is the first time it has had a big damage (a hand car wash guy scratched it when it was 3 month old), and it has run flats (no spare).

Responding to others:
Qcumber - FW is supposed to be a social/discussion site, and I believe it's neither yours or mine. I thought you are one of the people who reads FW (you did reply to this thread twice - right?) If it's not helping you, why bother reading the thread? Shall I safely guess you have nothing to better to do than sit in front of your computer and make useless comments? But, thanks for that bit on "why pay for insurance..."

Glitch - I'm neither demanding nor begging for help. I'm asking for suggestions. If you have anything useful, add it, if not go and do something useful elsewhere. I'm just being courteous to other - sorry, if you weren't taught that when young.

Quickboy, and others - It's an open challenge. If you think I have hit a guy, please inform the cops, and post the complaint details here. FW is obligated to share my details with cops.

do178b - If I post pics, would you apologize? Frankly it's sad because this individual clearly has an inferiority complex because they sit at home and continuously have to make up stuff rather than experience real world situations. I mean come on.... FW isn't your own private sandbox. --> This definitely describes you.

Just because it gives you a sense of anonymity, why go on making wild allegations? No one is forcing you guys to respond to my thread. Well, I cannot control others. Dont hate people just because they own BMW. I studied and worked hard, and I believe BMW is a good car, and I bought it. I'm not ashamed at all. Although I haven't invented it or manufactured it, I'm proud of it.

e9582 said:   
Dont hate people just because they own BMW. I studied and worked hard, and I believe BMW is a good car, and I bought it. I'm not ashamed at all. Although I haven't invented it or manufactured it, I'm proud of it.

You're right. We're all jealous because you own a 7+ year old BMW 3-series. Maybe, if I work hard enough, and save all of the quarters I get from selling matches, I can own one too someday!

Quikboy4 said:   e9582 said:   
Dont hate people just because they own BMW. I studied and worked hard, and I believe BMW is a good car, and I bought it. I'm not ashamed at all. Although I haven't invented it or manufactured it, I'm proud of it.

You're right. We're all jealous because you own a 7+ year old BMW 3-series. Maybe, if I work hard enough, and save all of the quarters I get from selling matches, I can own one too someday!

Are you a stalker in real life too? I'm watching this thread because it's mine.. Talk about one having no other stuff to do

I have no idea what your problem/issue is.. If you don't like my thread, please don't follow me. People unknowingly tell stuff about themselves.. That bit about selling matches - good luck with that. Save those quarters until you get your next check, before planning on buying a car.

e9582 said:   Qcumber - FW is supposed to be a social/discussion site, and I believe it's neither yours or mine. I thought you are one of the people who reads FW (you did reply to this thread twice - right?) If it's not helping you, why bother reading the thread? Shall I safely guess you have nothing to better to do than sit in front of your computer and make useless comments? But, thanks for that bit on "why pay for insurance..."

Just because it gives you a sense of anonymity, why go on making wild allegations? No one is forcing you guys to respond to my thread. Well, I cannot control others. Dont hate people just because they own BMW. I studied and worked hard, and I believe BMW is a good car, and I bought it. I'm not ashamed at all. Although I haven't invented it or manufactured it, I'm proud of it.

You obviously don't read FWF enough. Too many people come in here afraid to use their insurance because it might increase their premium. Fine, don't use your insurance. Pay the $1000 repair out of your own pocket but as long as you get free towing that's saving money, right? Yeah, you really showed us. /eyeroll/

Oh and anybody here can own a BMW. We just don't want to because we love our Crown Vics.

I bought Meyle HD control arms for my beamer for like $150 and paid a general repair shop $100 to install them. That's the cheapest way imo

kiasuchick said:   RedCelicaGT said:   e9582 said: Qcumber98, Redcelica - Thanks for taking time to read, and post something useless for all of us..

Not all! I'm not... Unless you are going 60 in tha fast lane or park too close to my car.

Too bad OP is not in LA. I have a bunch of BMW non-dealer hookups.
You're an exception to the rule.

Post it on bimmerfest.com Fatwallet is for Crown Victoria related issues.

All crown vic issues are covered by the Bubble King warranty

qcumber98 said:   e9582 said:   Qcumber - FW is supposed to be a social/discussion site, and I believe it's neither yours or mine. I thought you are one of the people who reads FW (you did reply to this thread twice - right?) If it's not helping you, why bother reading the thread? Shall I safely guess you have nothing to better to do than sit in front of your computer and make useless comments? But, thanks for that bit on "why pay for insurance..."

You obviously don't read FWF enough. Too many people come in here afraid to use their insurance because it might increase their premium. Fine, don't use your insurance. Pay the $1000 repair out of your own pocket but as long as you get free towing that's saving money, right? Yeah, you really showed us. /eyeroll/

Oh and anybody here can own a BMW. We just don't want to because we love our Crown Vics.

I just read a book that talks about "how to handle bullies and sociopaths, and how not to get offended by strangers"..

Well, since it looks like you have nothing better to do than follow threads like this, and spew venom, tell me what exactly did "I really showed" anyone?

Honestly that comment wasn't directed at you. But since you took it, may be you don't own a BMW, and calling sour grapes?? It was directed at Redcelica who said "Thanks for providing yet another data point that that yes, BMW drivers are dbags." Enjoy your celica, while dreaming about BMWs.

And Quikboy: I never said I own the most expensive, unique car in the world.. I know it's an entry level sports car, and for ME it was a dream to own it, and I own it. That's it. There was no need to make fun of me. But again, if all you want to do is make fun of how much money I have, I can't do much. I work hard for my money, and I'm proud of every penny I make. May be you are richer than me, or may be you are a case of sour grapes. Who knows? Every one here is billionaire (with a B) - right? It's all relative. Against Buffett, Bezos is no one. Against those guys, you are no one. If you are a really big shot, please enlighten me (I almost said "enlighten us", and realized someone had an issue with "all of us"). Also, you accused me that I ran over a boy? Did you get a chance to talk to cops about that?

No idea why people are so bitter. If some of you guys (I hope adults) behave like this in a supposedly anonymous forum, what happens in real life? Either these guys have no b***s or one of the worst bunch of people out there.

There is no harm in extending common courtesy to others. I didn't come to your house asking for help. You (referring to those thread crappers) made an effort to click on my thread, and making all wild allegations (that's more than a single time!), etc. No one but you, forced you to do that. Think about that, the next time you want to do this on your next responses.

Forgot to thank: Foeplay, Kingofspades, SIS (for the joke).

<--Hasn't owned a celica in 11 years.

e9582 said:   I had been a lurker so far. Searched, didn't find anything.

My car: BMW 325I 2006. While reversing, I hit the curb with my right rear tire at a very low speed (it just went in the groove between road and sidewalk and screeched into it - I know I feel very bad), and the rear tire is kind of pushed back. I have insurance (comprehensive: 500 deduct), but no AAA (Geico covers road side).

My dealer is about 14 miles from me, and so far I have used them for all (bought it new). Free AAA towing (if I decide to go for it) is only 7 miles. But I heard using insurance for towing may increase premium. Involving insurance for the repairs never occured to me until I went to a local alignment shop. He told me that control arm looks bent, and may cost unto 1000 to fix it.

From my research, repairs may cost anywhere from 1000 - 3000, hoping for the lower side.. Any experienced folks, would you please help me decide what to do? This car has been good to me (sorry for this curb thing again), and I have no intention of selling this car.

Im in San Diego.

Thanks..

you don't bent control arm from hitting something at low speed

anyway, new aftermarket control arm is like $100-$200, then get new tire for $150 and go to local shop to fix it, all under $500

e9582 said:   It's all relative. Against Buffett, Bezos is no one. Against those guys, you are no one. Buffet and I both both drive Crown Vic's, so I'd say we're pretty similar.

1. Have towed to your house or gimp it back to your house.
2. Order rim on eBay 80-120 shipd.
3. Take rim to get tire put on it.
4. Bolt on your car.

edit** order a control arm if its needed cheap on eBay as well http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOWER-CONTROL-ARM-BMW-330xi-328xi-325xi-...

e9582 said:   I had been a lurker so far. Searched, didn't find anything.

Im in San Diego.

Thanks..

Why would insurance cover it? It is not like it was an accident, you drove the car into the curb at high speed and bent the wheel and control arm. It is not an accident. Pay for the repairs, whether at BMW dealer, or indy shop, or just get down and dirty and replace it your self.

If you have a BMW and can't afford $100 repair, you are in for a suprize when something else just fails.

qcumber98 said:   e9582 said:   Qcumber - FW is supposed to be a social/discussion site, and I believe it's neither yours or mine. I thought you are one of the people who reads FW (you did reply to this thread twice - right?) If it's not helping you, why bother reading the thread? Shall I safely guess you have nothing to better to do than sit in front of your computer and make useless comments? But, thanks for that bit on "why pay for insurance..."

Whether they use insruance or pay out of pocket, either way they are out of the same amount of money. Insurance will go up until they are made even on what they paid.

Spac3d said:   e9582 said:   It's all relative. Against Buffett, Bezos is no one. Against those guys, you are no one. Buffet and I both both drive Crown Vic's, so I'd say we're pretty similar.

Buffet upgraded to a Crown Vic? I thought he still drove his 40 year old pickup truck.

RealEstateMatt said:   Spac3d said:    Buffet and I both both drive Crown Vic's, so I'd say we're pretty similar.Buffet upgraded to a Crown Vic? I thought he still drove his 40 year old pickup truck.He was driving his "old man's" Crown Vic (Town Car) in a recent interview.

You need a thicker skin. Please go back to lurking. The red and green votes have spoken. /thread

Voice of e9582: "It's all about me, me, me! OMG, It's the end of the world."
Go to e46fanatics or bimmerforums. Post pictures.
First world problems.

Not all BMW drivers are d-bags. People like OP ruin it for others.

Skipping 5 Messages...
tennis8363 said:   I feel sorry for him, his car is slower than a Toyota Camry.

But 4 times nicer...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014