• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Weird thing happened today, and I'm still pretty confused about it. I was giving my girlfriend a ride home from work and I was thirsty, so I stopped over at a HyVee Gas... which in case anyone doesn't know is a gas station beside their grocery store which for all intents and purposes is still part of the grocery store on paper. I bought only a 99 cent drink, which I probably would have bought more if I'd known it was on sale, I hate to make credit purchases under $1, and also I had no cash on me so I had to use my prepaid card. I ran the card as credit, as I never use the debit option, and it took a while to authorize and then had me sign, everything was fine and I was on my way. When I got home, I had an email from my card company (I have instant email notification on all transactions) that said the authorization from HyVee was attempted for $50 and declined (there was only $30 on the prepaid card). I logged in and checked my balance to find there was no hold from HyVee, but there was a $3 decline fee... and now I'm confused... can they just do a huge authorization hold on something like a $1 drink? Is the actual charge that I signed for going to hit in a couple days when they try to settle it? I know there's people on here with some experience with cards, so I'd appreciate any advice.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Cool story, bro.

Interesting, for a gas station paying at the pump is supposed to do a $50-75 authorization charge. That is not supposed to happen in the store generally, it sounds like the HyVee isn't setup correctly for processing.
Yes, the actual charge will most likely show up shortly.

dobby10 said:   Interesting, for a gas station paying at the pump is supposed to do a $50-75 authorization charge. That is not supposed to happen in the store generally, it sounds like the HyVee isn't setup correctly for processing.
Yes, the actual charge will most likely show up shortly.

My experience is a hold of either $1, or $125, probably just based on the couple stations I usually go to. Never bothered to look for holds on a small transaction, they usually go through really quick. Rental cars and hotels sometimes put a hold down. I wouldn't run a prepaid at a gas station again. Call the card company and see if you can get your $3 back.

I have never heard of a "decline fee" - is that something unique to prepaid cards? It is a little disturbing to think that you can be charged a fee just for having your card declined.

bw4747 said:   I have never heard of a "decline fee" - is that something unique to prepaid cards? It is a little disturbing to think that you can be charged a fee just for having your card declined.
It's probably the equivalent of an over the limit fee.

stanolshefski said:   bw4747 said:   I have never heard of a "decline fee" - is that something unique to prepaid cards? It is a little disturbing to think that you can be charged a fee just for having your card declined.

Also possibly like an overdraft fee on a regular bank account.

Perhaps the terminal does the authorisation, no matter what you are buying.

What gas stations giveth in bonuses on category cards, they taketh away on prepaid cards with authorization holds.

You need to provide more details on the drink before we can give you an accurate assessment. Was it 12 or 16 oz? Was it diet or regular? Coke? Pepsi? Vanilla root beer?

...and pics?

This is America. Merchants have to pre-authorize soda because they don't know how many gallons you're going to pump.

tomjef said:   This is America. Merchants have to pre-authorize soda because they don't know how many gallons you're going to pump.
Good point, was the the soda from the fountain or a bottle/can?

chantspel said:   You need to provide more details on the drink before we can give you an accurate assessment. Was it 12 or 16 oz? Was it diet or regular? Coke? Pepsi? Vanilla root beer?

oooh... vanilla root beer sounds like a good choice.

tomjef said:   This is America. Merchants have to pre-authorize soda because they don't know how many gallons you're going to pump.

Mike Bloomberg just had a seizure.

stanolshefski said:   bw4747 said:   I have never heard of a "decline fee" - is that something unique to prepaid cards? It is a little disturbing to think that you can be charged a fee just for having your card declined.

Can they really decline the charge and then hit you with an over limit fee? Seems if they decline the charge, you never went over the limit. I'd understand them accepting the charge and then charging you the fee (which I've seen happen to others before).

OP: what type and branding of prepaid card was this?

hdpq said:   ...and pics?

OP should obey FWF unwritten rules... no mentioning girlfriends without pics!!!

DTASFAB said:   tomjef said:   This is America. Merchants have to pre-authorize soda because they don't know how many gallons you're going to pump.

Mike Bloomberg just had a seizure.

We can only hope.

The difference I see between the examples below (Over limit fee/overdraft fee) is that OP's card was declined. OTL fees are usually when you go over your limit, and the card is approved.
Overdraft fees same thing, the account goes into overdraft and the cheque is allowed to clear.

If a card is declined why should there be a Decline or Overdraft fee? Does it really cost $3 to process a decline?

mjoply said:   stanolshefski said:   bw4747 said:   I have never heard of a "decline fee" - is that something unique to prepaid cards? It is a little disturbing to think that you can be charged a fee just for having your card declined.

Also possibly like an overdraft fee on a regular bank account.

Perhaps the terminal does the authorisation, no matter what you are buying.

mwarrior said:   The difference I see between the examples below (Over limit fee/overdraft fee) is that OP's card was declined. OTL fees are usually when you go over your limit, and the card is approved.
Overdraft fees same thing, the account goes into overdraft and the cheque is allowed to clear.

If a card is declined why should there be a Decline or Overdraft fee? Does it really cost $3 to process a decline?

More to the point: Was this "decline fee" disclosed in writing?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014