• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I did a couple of online transfers recently to an external account. Today I tried to do another one. They canceled the transfer without warning and locked me out of my online access. I called CSR and was asked a bunch of public record multiple choice security questions but said I still need to stop by a branch with my IDs in order to unlock my account. He said he couldn't discuss the specifics. Now it's afterhours already and I can't do anything. Has anyone experienced this BS with Chase?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Or he could just open the savings account and pocket $125...

Glitch99 (May. 09, 2013 @ 10:54p) |

Unless the service is something like POPMoney that specifies sending money to third parties, it's never a good idea to u... (more)

Glitch99 (May. 09, 2013 @ 10:56p) |

What's a better way to transfer larger amount to third parties without getting flagged and blocked by the bank? Write g... (more)

LongDongSilver (May. 10, 2013 @ 6:18a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Yeah, locked out. But I do not recall ever being required to visit a branch to unlock it. they just asked some questions

A somewhat newly added external account ?

Were you using their QuickPay service?

xoneinax said:   Yeah

A somewhat newly added external account ?

Yes

avalon6 said:   Were you using their QuickPay service?

No, just using the Chase online transfer to transfer out.

Sounds like a security measure. They're trying to prevent someone other than you from taking your money. Especially since those security questions are stupid, since, as you said, they're either public record or credit report, which could also be obtained illegally.

Asking you to show up at the branch is probably the most reasonable solution to this security problem.

Happened to me twice. Second time after successfully making one transfer . Finally took money out and closed my account. Idiots

So you added a new account and than started emptying your credit cards. You should be thanking them, not complaining.

Happened to me once. Just showing at the branch with the ID wasn't enough: had to bring them original statements from the other bank. Closed my account and reopened for the bonus. Have never used their transfers since.

My tenant used QuickPay last fall, and the first time they did, Chase locked me out of any online access for my credit cards and other accounts for about 3 or 4 days before setting things back to normal.

Wow if they tried to make me go to a branch I think I'd lose it on them. The nearest one is well over 300 miles away!

Just went to a branch. The noob "personal banker" just wanted to see my driver's license and then tried to upsell me on savings account with $125 bonus cash. What a way to get foot traffic into a branch!

Did you call from a phone number listed on your account? This could have been the reason they "couldn't speak about specifics" and why you needed to go to a branch and show ID. This happened on an old credit card from CrapitalOne with me once. I was calling from a coworkers cell phone one time and they were acting very sketchy. After three CSRs, I was told to call from a phone number they had on my account, so I did that and all was well. However, before that, I was being told to go to a CrapOne branch to show my ID.

LongDongSilver said:   Just went to a branch. The noob "personal banker" just wanted to see my driver's license and then tried to upsell me on savings account with $125 bonus cash. What a way to get foot traffic into a branch!

Should have taken the offer. Chase savings bonus cash coupons go for like $20 on eBay.

Their weird policies and practices turned me off; closed my account and they put me in "customer jail" when I was at the branch. Branch Mgr. said it's like you're firing us. I smiled.

jaytrader said:   Did you call from a phone number listed on your account?

No. The banker said the reason was due to a larger amount transfer to an outside account that belongs to another person (someone in my family). Maybe I should write a check instead of doing ACH push from now on if I want to do a similar transfer?

avalon6 said:   LongDongSilver said:   Just went to a branch. The noob "personal banker" just wanted to see my driver's license and then tried to upsell me on savings account with $125 bonus cash. What a way to get foot traffic into a branch!

Should have taken the offer. Chase savings bonus cash coupons go for like $20 on eBay.

There was no coupon. It's a code in the account.

Switch to Ally Bank and do all the ACH transfers you want. Never had a problem sending money to other people using their service.

LongDongSilver said:   jaytrader said:   Did you call from a phone number listed on your account?

No. The banker said the reason was due to a larger amount transfer to an outside account that belongs to another person (someone in my family). Maybe I should write a check instead of doing ACH push from now on if I want to do a similar transfer?
Like I said - security measure. And a good one too. They have no way of verifying your relationship, nor should they care to.

noelandres said:   Switch to Ally Bank and do all the ACH transfers you want. Never had a problem sending money to other people using their service.
I had a similar experience with the former ING Direct. Apparently, more banks are adopting this practice, so don't be surprised to see Ally Bank pick it up sometime in the future. Chase made me go through it when I tried to update my address online for my credit cards.

Can Chase reject an ACH pull initiated from an outside bank for "security" reasons?

Yes. Chase is on deferred status for multiple money laundering violations going back to 1982. That doesn't include what they got when they acquired Texas Commerce Bank and First City Bank. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/opinion/how-bankers-help-drug-... I don't think that you will find any large bank that doesn't have problems of their own making or from assets they bought.
Chase customers http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Four-of-five... one was actually acquited.

avalon6 said:   LongDongSilver said:   Just went to a branch. The noob "personal banker" just wanted to see my driver's license and then tried to upsell me on savings account with $125 bonus cash. What a way to get foot traffic into a branch!

Or he could just open the savings account and pocket $125...

LongDongSilver said:   jaytrader said:   Did you call from a phone number listed on your account?

Unless the service is something like POPMoney that specifies sending money to third parties, it's never a good idea to use ACH links to someone else's account.

Glitch99 said:   LongDongSilver said:   jaytrader said:   Did you call from a phone number listed on your account?

Unless the service is something like POPMoney that specifies sending money to third parties, it's never a good idea to use ACH links to someone else's account.

What's a better way to transfer larger amount to third parties without getting flagged and blocked by the bank? Write good old fashioned checks?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014