Google Wallet and CC Cashback

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Used the Google Wallet app with NFC on a new Samsung Galaxy S4 that is linked to the Citi Forward card at McDonalds

GOOGNFC*MCDONALD'Sxxxxx (location is x'd out)
Merchant Category: FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS

Apparently the merchant category gets passed on even if you use Google wallet. Hopefully this means we still get our cb.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

From what I've heard, AMEX does not transfer the merchant codes from Wallet.

Is there some benefit from using Wallet that I am not aware of? I feel like I am missing something here.

tedteddy said:   Is there some benefit from using Wallet that I am not aware of? I feel like I am missing something here.

I keep my infrequently used cards in my Google Wallet so I can occasionally use them without having to have them in my physical wallet.

I've also used it a few times at places that demand to see my drivers license for swiped cards. I don't like giving strangers my full billing address and credit card number.

tedteddy said:   Is there some benefit from using Wallet that I am not aware of? I feel like I am missing something here. Instead of pulling a card out of your wallet, you just pull out your phone (or even just keep it in your pocket and swing your hip at the sensor).

Way easier

Google documents that they pass the merchant mcc, but they won't pass the merchant name (so no store specific bonuses).

http://support.google.com/wallet/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2688...

Spending rewards with selected cards

You may earn reward points for purchases through your card issuer’s credit or debit card rewards program (such as gas, grocery, and restaurants purchases, overall spending, and purchase protection or insurance), if applicable. Keep in mind that for purchases where Google Wallet facilitates the payment and then charges your registered card, the amount charged to your registered card is charged by Google Wallet and not by the merchant where you make a purchase. Rewards and benefits, if applicable, will be decided by your card issuers. Your card issuer (not Google Wallet or The Bancorp Bank) determines and is responsible for whether rewards points or other benefits apply to these purchases.

If you receive additional rewards when shopping at a specific merchant, these benefits may not be applied when using Google Wallet.

Please contact your card issuer for questions on any rewards program associated with your registered card.

Just for fun I tried using LevelUp at my cafeteria and it reported the MCC as "BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED" (or 7399).

stormer said:   Google documents that they pass the merchant mcc, but they won't pass the merchant name (so no store specific bonuses).

http://support.google.com/wallet/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2688...

Spending rewards with selected cards

You may earn reward points for purchases through your card issuer’s credit or debit card rewards program (such as gas, grocery, and restaurants purchases, overall spending, and purchase protection or insurance), if applicable. Keep in mind that for purchases where Google Wallet facilitates the payment and then charges your registered card, the amount charged to your registered card is charged by Google Wallet and not by the merchant where you make a purchase. Rewards and benefits, if applicable, will be decided by your card issuers. Your card issuer (not Google Wallet or The Bancorp Bank) determines and is responsible for whether rewards points or other benefits apply to these purchases.

If you receive additional rewards when shopping at a specific merchant, these benefits may not be applied when using Google Wallet.

Please contact your card issuer for questions on any rewards program associated with your registered card.

Just for fun I tried using LevelUp at my cafeteria and it reported the MCC as "BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED" (or 7399).

This could actually be useful for issuers that have merchant specific carve-outs. (IE, Citi, who nixes rewards at WalMart/target even when they use the grocery MCC). Pass the MCC but not the merchant name and bypass the carve-out. Unfortunately, neither accepts google wallet at this time.

GW doesn't work so well in the Houston area. When you actually find a working NFC sensor (10%) the cashier will try to snatch the card out of your hand or stare in a state of confusion when you swipe.

I can confirm this worked at a Wawa gas station with my PenFed platinum cash rewards. Was pleasantly surprised!

-ace

debtblag said:   tedteddy said:   Is there some benefit from using Wallet that I am not aware of? I feel like I am missing something here. Instead of pulling a card out of your wallet, you just pull out your phone (or even just keep it in your pocket and swing your hip at the sensor).

Way easier

Your screen has to be on for NFC to be polling and you have to enter your Google wallet pin, so the hip swing won't work.

tedteddy said:   Is there some benefit from using Wallet that I am not aware of? I feel like I am missing something here.

You can add all of your cards and select which to use at any time. It's more secure than physical cards too since if you lose your phone or it gets stolen the Wallet app cannot be accessed without your 4 digit PIN and you can just log into your account in a browser and remove all your card info. Last I heard they were also working on a Physical card that uses the card selected in the app in case the retailer doesn't have a tap to pay system, your phone is dead, you don't have cell service, etc.

jtroye32 said:   tedteddy said:   Is there some benefit from using Wallet that I am not aware of? I feel like I am missing something here.

You can add all of your cards and select which to use at any time. It's more secure than physical cards too since if you lose your phone or it gets stolen the Wallet app cannot be accessed without your 4 digit PIN and you can just log into your account in a browser and remove all your card info. Last I heard they were also working on a Physical card that uses the card selected in the app in case the retailer doesn't have a tap to pay system, your phone is dead, you don't have cell service, etc.

Per cnet the other day (Can't find the link right now) the physical card idea is dead.

rmf1981 said:   jtroye32 said:   tedteddy said:   Is there some benefit from using Wallet that I am not aware of? I feel like I am missing something here.

Per cnet the other day (Can't find the link right now) the physical card idea is dead.

Here ya go, from allthingsd

Google was supposed to be coming out with a physical card that was hooked to your wallet account that you could toggle from online. Great if phones or merchants don't use NFC.

anyone know what ever happened to that plan?

BenH said:   Google was supposed to be coming out with a physical card that was hooked to your wallet account that you could toggle from online. Great if phones or merchants don't use NFC.

They dropped the idea of the physical card.

Linky Dinky Doo

vrb747 said:   BenH said:   Google was supposed to be coming out with a physical card that was hooked to your wallet account that you could toggle from online. Great if phones or merchants don't use NFC.

They dropped the idea of the physical card.

Linky Dinky Doo

Thx for link. Guess I will *have* to update my phone now to get one that can do NFC...

What I've found is that Citibank cards do get the correct merchant code passed through GW - probably due to work they did with Citibank in Rev 1 of Google Wallet (when it was only available for Citi Cards) and I get the correct rewards.

However in using my AMEX or Chase Visa cards, the merchant codes do not get passed (though the merchant name does) and all transactions are flagged as an online Google transaction. I then only get the base rewards on those cards.

jtroye32 said:   tedteddy said:   Is there some benefit from using Wallet that I am not aware of? I feel like I am missing something here.

If your phone is rooted, they can access the pin. Use something other than your debit card pin for it.

If someone were to get an account, it seems like they could make some lunch money by just offering to send people $.01 as a trade for $1 or something to let others into the program...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.