• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I opened an account with Bank of Internet over a decade ago, and it has been dormant for many years. I have several times (phone, web form, and letter) tried to get information about the account. Each time I call, I have been told they have to refer it to another part of the bank since it is now dormant. They also claim to not have received my previous written requests over several years. On the phone, they tell me that these are the only way to resolve the problem. The last written request was over five weeks ago and I have not had a response. I was told not to send a certified letter when I inquired about that. Through all these queries, they have not provided any information about my account (they do acknowledge that it exists, but that they cannot access it) or how to access or close it. I have the original letter showing the account number and the date the account was opened.

What is the best way for me to get them to respond to my queries so I can close the bank account and reclaim the funds? I am weary and would love to resolve this once and for all.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The bank no longer has your account. By law, it was turned over to your state which has a department that hold these kind of assets. You need to contact that dept in your state. They will be no direct cost to you but you will need to follow your state's procedures for proof of identity, etc.
Here is a link to contact your state

Thanks, but they did not turn it over. I have checked my state site to be sure, and the bank also told me they still have it. They said it is "dormant" but in their possession. Then they tell me to send letters, which are never replied to.

Then file a complaint with the federal consumer protection bureau

link

sloppy1 said:   Then file a complaint with the federal consumer protection bureau

link

Great, this is what I was looking for. Thank you.

Did you try sending the letter to the corporate office address in San Diego? I had problems getting help on a medical bill (sent to the address on the bill) and getting an account closed (sent to the address on the statement). I had to send both requests to the corporate office addresses and got a response that way.

fedguy said:   Did you try sending the letter to the corporate office address in San Diego? I had problems getting help on a medical bill (sent to the address on the bill) and getting an account closed (sent to the address on the statement). I had to send both requests to the corporate office addresses and got a response that way.

I sent two there (the first ones, years ago) and another to "deposit operations" as I was instructed to on the phone. We had to send signed letters each time, and once I was told it had to be certified. Later, I was told that was in error. The last letter was sent early last month, and no contact at all about it. I had asked for account access and included email and phone. I am going to try the CPB route and see if they can facilitate closing the account and recovering the funds. Thanks!

This may be an oddball idea but I'd get a deposit slip and envelope and send a small check for deposit.

If it gets deposited then the account won't be dormant anymore.

https://www.bankofinternet.com/customer-support/deposit-slips-en...

In any case, they'd pretty well have to do something.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014