• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
If I dispute an inquiry that Citizens bank has on my credit report, will Citizens bank hold that against me when I am later trying to apply for a credit card with them?

Citizens said that the credit inquiry would be a "soft" pull. Yet, it shows as a hard pull on my Equifax credit report.

Probably, readers of this wont know Citizens bank's policy specifically but what would be the policy on this in general?

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:

I wouldn't bother disputing an inquiry first of all. Did you apply for credit with them?

If there is dispute language on your credit report when you apply for a mortgage, the lender may require that the dispute language be removed before proceeding. It doesn't matter if the CR says the dispute is resolved in your favor. The word dispute in your credit report is poison. Trying to remove the dispute language will cost you a lot of time and maybe money if you lose your lock and your appraisal. The lender fears that the dispute language is interfering with accurate FICO scoring of your credit report. I wouldn't bother with this.

If you had not applied for credit with them, disputing the inquiry should be fairly straightforward. However, it appears that you did apply for credit with them, and you're unhappy that they did a hard pull because they told you it would be a soft pull. I think you'd have a hard time winning that dispute with the CRA over the type of pull, for the simply fact that you actually did apply for credit.

Financial CSRs frequently misunderstand policies and practices, perhaps unintentionally. When I was writing banking law in Washington DC we frequently heard some would tell customers the bank could not do such-and-such-reasonable-thing because there was a law preventing that, when there was purely no law.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014