• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I had used checkout by Amazon for the better part of a 2 year span to churn some of my 5% credit cards and conduct some transactions with relatives. Back in November they closed my account. When they did that they said they were placing a hold on my funds for 90 days. I immediately started issuing refunds so I wouldn't be without those funds available for those 90 days. While refunding them, they blocked my access to the account and now have no ability to even access that account, see my balance, etc. Guessing there is about 15k still being held by them. They now say they are holding the funds for 180 days. So I then wrote to the BBB to see what my balance is and when I can even expect those funds. The response I got from Amazon, appeared canned

What concerns me is their response claims I might have used stolen credit cards and the remittances and payments may be permanently withheld. All credit cards used belong to me and relatives.

"Amazon retains the right to immediately prevent or restrict access to our site. We removed this user's access to our site and placed a hold on any funds in their seller account because an investigation of their account indicates they may be using our site to engage in fraudulent activity. We believe this seller used stolen credit cards to place orders with their own Amazon seller account.Due to the proprietary nature of our business, we do not provide details on our investigation methods.In accordance with the terms of this seller's agreement with Amazon Services, we will not be transferring any funds to the seller. If we determine that a seller account has been used to engage in fraud or other illegal activity, remittances and payments may be permanently withheld."

It is impossible to talk to anyone regarding this issue on the phone. Emails get ignored. My letter to the legal department was ignored as well. It would be easy to prove that no stolen credit cards were used as I was an authorized user on each credit card used, balances on those cards paid in full, and not a single charge back/dispute. Problem is there is nobody to talk to about this. My last email and response was after the 180 days that just stated they won't remit funds to me. Yes I can file a lawsuit, but that is my last resort as that will just cost lots of money.

I am curious if anyone else has had such an issue with Amazon and how did you deal with it?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Jcohen you are going to have to file suit against Amazon to get your money and you should add all costs related to the s... (more)

KYBOSH (May. 28, 2013 @ 12:11a) |

If you've already exhausted the normal escalation paths, then your best bet is to send an email to jeff@Amazon.com. Be c... (more)

frontalot (May. 28, 2013 @ 12:48a) |

Not surprising, considering most of us at FW do it as well (well, with our money of course) When interest rates were in ... (more)

vishalj77 (May. 28, 2013 @ 7:10a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thankfully I have not gone through this. I am, however, confident that they cannot just keep 15k because they "think" it was fraudulent. And while it would suck to have to go through legal channels, this has small claims court written all over it (assuming your small claims court allows cases that large). Good luck...

This is not the personal Amazon payment right?

cis@Amazon.com, if no reply a letter on a law firms letterhead should get a response.

Edit: CIS@Amazon.COM is what is commonly known as a loss prevention team. They have the authority to delete accounts, freeze/unfreeze funds etc.

Being that they think you have engaged in a criminal enterprise, they will not likely give you your money until you contact a lawyer. Typically, they would have released the funds after 90 days but 180 days tells me that they have no intention of giving you your money.

aspkinn.com/forums/Amazon/ may be more helpful that fatwallet.

unnamedone said:   This is not the personal Amazon payment right?

I updated the title, it was actually checkout by Amazon.

CFPB complaint?

Shaftslinger encountered something similar, documented in the Heavy Hitters thread. Look it up. I believe he got his money well before 180 days, though.

Glitch99 - CFPB is one I forgot about. thanks for reminding me about that one.

Holla - I know a few people who encountered having their funds held for 180 days, haven't seen anyone else have it held longer like they are doing to me.

Why don't you just file chargebacks with the cards that were used for the transactions?

vishalj77 said:   Why don't you just file chargebacks with the cards that were used for the transactions?

In retrospect wish I had filed chargebacks. It was originally suggested that it wouldn't be a good idea as it would make it look more suspicious. Therefore I should just wait out the time period until they would just remit the funds to me. Its way past the point of being able to dispute these charges and file a chargeback at this point.

Are you sure about that? I've filed chargebacks 9 months out.

jcohen73 said:   vishalj77 said:   Why don't you just file chargebacks with the cards that were used for the transactions?

In retrospect wish I had filed chargebacks. It was originally suggested that it wouldn't be a good idea as it would make it look more suspicious. Therefore I should just wait out the time period until they would just remit the funds to me. Its way past the point of being able to dispute these charges and file a chargeback at this point.

vegas4x4 said:   Are you sure about that? I've filed chargebacks 9 months out.

I think that's an usually long period of time.. 90 days max in my experience.

dcg9381 said:   vegas4x4 said:   Are you sure about that? I've filed chargebacks 9 months out.

I think that's an usually long period of time.. 90 days max in my experience.

The timeframe they're required to follow doesn't necessarily mean they won't accept anything longer. He could even call a card issuer and tell them the situation (leaving out how he's also the "merchant" in question) and see what they suggest.

On the legal front, it should be a pretty straightforward complaint that you may be able to prepare yourself. 180 days is plenty of time for Amazon to have determined if stolen credit cards were used or not. And if they truly suspect the use of stolen credit cards, the only appropriate response from Amazon would be to return the funds to the credit cards - there is no justifying them holding onto the money indefinitely.

Am I the only one who doesn't feel sorry for OP here? OP basically entered into a bunch of sham transactions to get credit card rewards....he got greedy and now has $15k in limbo while Amazon convinces themselves that this is all there was to it.

I'm also not shocked that Amazon was less than helpful when you explained to them that you were abusing their payment system to get credit card rewards.

cristinaaaron said:   Am I the only one who doesn't feel sorry for OP here?
Just because you don't feel sorry for him doesn't mean Amazon can legally steal his money.

What's the process for reporting criminal theft by a company? That'll get their lawyers' attention.

cristinaaaron said:   Am I the only one who doesn't feel sorry for OP here? OP basically entered into a bunch of sham transactions to get credit card rewards....he got greedy and now has $15k in limbo while Amazon convinces themselves that this is all there was to it.

I'm also not shocked that Amazon was less than helpful when you explained to them that you were abusing their payment system to get credit card rewards.

Amazon closed my account because I was buying too much stuff (I own a 3PL business where I buy products for international customers and ship them out) . I wasn't exploiting price differences, gold box deals, nothing - buying stuff at regular pricing and got shut down because of a quantity limit they imposed out of the blue one day. No warning, nothing. Anyway, I had a gift card balance left in the amount of $5 k. Amazon's CS emailed me that they would mail out a refund check for the amount.

Weeks go by, nothing in the mail. Emailed them a couple of times, then I got the same generic answer "First class can take 3 to 5 weeks for delivery. So please wait an additional 3-5 weeks and you should receive your refund soon"

Finally, I received a check. Not for $5k. It was for $790. Emailed them again, they said they had to split the amount into multiple checks. It's already been 2 months now, still haven't received the balance.

So it seems like a common scam that Amazon is running - shut down accounts and hold on to the money as long as possible. Or, as in OP's case.. simply refuse to pay.

I have successfully done a chargeback 2 years from the original charge date. CU issued card. Used it to buy 3 year extended warranty on my car. 2 years later tried to get some work done, but found out warranty company had filed bankruptcy. Did a chargeback and got full money back. All over the phone, didn't even write a letter or a secure email or anything.

cristinaaaron said:   Am I the only one who doesn't feel sorry for OP here? OP basically entered into a bunch of sham transactions to get credit card rewards....he got greedy and now has $15k in limbo while Amazon convinces themselves that this is all there was to it.

I didn't break any laws and Amazon doesn't have the right to break any laws either! You might not agree with what I have done and that is fine, but if you think that gives a company the right to illegally confiscate your funds you have a serious malfunction.

Any idea, if they closed the account...meaning if you are blacklisted, if i open a account via different email, can they immed. know that it was the account of blacklisted customer?? I know the dept which closes is not in US. I receive email every night as mentioned there is no phone number

jcohen73 said:   cristinaaaron said:   Am I the only one who doesn't feel sorry for OP here? OP basically entered into a bunch of sham transactions to get credit card rewards....he got greedy and now has $15k in limbo while Amazon convinces themselves that this is all there was to it.

I didn't break any laws and Amazon doesn't have the right to break any laws either! You might not agree with what I have done and that is fine, but if you think that gives a company the right to illegally confiscate your funds you have a serious malfunction.

You didn't break any laws and Amazon is not pursuing any charge against you. You did violate the TOS of Amazon Checkout, though, and Amazon has acted within their rights as they have spelled out in the TOS you agreed to.

P3.2.4 Cards. You may use registered Cards to pay for goods or services. You may be required to verify that you control the Card accounts that you register prior to using the Cards for transactions or to obtain additional payment privileges. You may not use your Card to make payments to yourself or to add money to your account. If you use your Card to send payments for transactions that do not involve the sale of goods or services, you may be charged a cash advance or other fee directly by your Card issuer. We are not responsible for these fees.

cristinaaaron said:   

P3.2.4 Cards. You may use registered Cards to pay for goods or services. You may be required to verify that you control the Card accounts that you register prior to using the Cards for transactions or to obtain additional payment privileges. You may not use your Card to make payments to yourself or to add money to your account. If you use your Card to send payments for transactions that do not involve the sale of goods or services, you may be charged a cash advance or other fee directly by your Card issuer. We are not responsible for these fees.

So after reading this, the maximum 'fine' Amazon can impose is the transaction fee that merchants charge (from 2-3%) How are they justified in keeping the entire amount of $15k though?

vishalj77 said:   cristinaaaron said:   Am I the only one who doesn't feel sorry for OP here? OP basically entered into a bunch of sham transactions to get credit card rewards....he got greedy and now has $15k in limbo while Amazon convinces themselves that this is all there was to it.

Amazon closed my account because I was buying too much stuff (I own a 3PL business where I buy products for international customers and ship them out) . I wasn't exploiting price differences, gold box deals, nothing - buying stuff at regular pricing and got shut down because of a quantity limit they imposed out of the blue one day. No warning, nothing. Anyway, I had a gift card balance left in the amount of $5 k. Amazon's CS emailed me that they would mail out a refund check for the amount.

Weeks go by, nothing in the mail. Emailed them a couple of times, then I got the same generic answer "First class can take 3 to 5 weeks for delivery. So please wait an additional 3-5 weeks and you should receive your refund soon"

Finally, I received a check. Not for $5k. It was for $790. Emailed them again, they said they had to split the amount into multiple checks. It's already been 2 months now, still haven't received the balance.

So it seems like a common scam that Amazon is running - shut down accounts and hold on to the money as long as possible. Or, as in OP's case.. simply refuse to pay.

From personal experience:

Amazon can issue checks up to 5k each.
They will always say 3-5 weeks but, it was never that long. They ship from Washington state and are issued by Wells Fargo.
They stall while they research so that they do not have to pay you.
Be persistent, email every day. Calling CS will get you nowhere because your account has been deleted and they cannot access it. You have to contact cis@Amazon.com
Threats of a lawsuit do not provoke a faster response so don't bother. If you are going to sue just do it don't threaten.

jugadek said:   Any idea, if they closed the account...meaning if you are blacklisted, if i open a account via different email, can they immed. know that it was the account of blacklisted customer?? I know the dept which closes is not in US. I receive email every night as mentioned there is no phone number

Amazon has sophisticated algorithms to detect the true identity of a user on their website. A buyer account is not subject to as much scrutiny as a seller account but, you can still be linked and deleted.

I am not going to tell you how to avoid this as most likely you were deleted for good cause.

vishalj77 said:   cristinaaaron said:   

So after reading this, the maximum 'fine' Amazon can impose is the transaction fee that merchants charge (from 2-3%) How are they justified in keeping the entire amount of $15k though?

Wouldn't exactly be thrilled with being charged 2-3% fee, but I wouldn't be complaining either if they charged me that and returned the money. That is at least within the terms and conditions, whereas just holding my funds indefinitely is a completely different matter.

A complaint with the CFPB as suggested by Glitch99 was filed yesterday. Additionally I have written letters to both the General Counsel and the Director of the Audit Committee and will see if that makes anything happen.

jcohen73 said:   vishalj77 said:   cristinaaaron said:   

Wouldn't exactly be thrilled with being charged 2-3% fee, but I wouldn't be complaining either if they charged me that and returned the money. That is at least within the terms and conditions, whereas just holding my funds indefinitely is a completely different matter.

A complaint with the CFPB as suggested by Glitch99 was filed yesterday. Additionally I have written letters to both the General Counsel and the Director of the Audit Committee and will see if that makes anything happen.

Really to be more precise, the most they could do is report to your cc issuer that the transaction should be recoded as cash advances. Then the cc issuer would have to decide whether they wanted to take up the research, retroactively changing transaction classes, adjusting rewards, and assessing fees. Frankly I don't see any cc doing this so far out. That being said, those terms definitely do not give them the power to seize funds. It also suggests that all suspicious activity should be subject to an investigation during which you should be able to verify the legitimacy of your actions. So I would argue that they are violating their own terms by just freezing money and ignoring you. If a person did that to me, it would be called theft and likely the police would be getting involved...

If he contacted the credit card company then they would blacklist the account for defrauding the credit card company out of rewards. If you are past the allowable disputing time then you don't have that long to go till you actually get your money back.

cristinaaaron said:   jcohen73 said:   cristinaaaron said:   Am I the only one who doesn't feel sorry for OP here? OP basically entered into a bunch of sham transactions to get credit card rewards....he got greedy and now has $15k in limbo while Amazon convinces themselves that this is all there was to it.

You didn't break any laws and Amazon is not pursuing any charge against you. You did violate the TOS of Amazon Checkout, though, and Amazon has acted within their rights as they have spelled out in the TOS you agreed to.

What part of that gives Amazon the right to just keep your money? It doesn't even vaguely allude to that being an option.

Read the rest of it. They can charge for auditing the account and hold the money for an indefinite period of time if they believe they are exposed to a chargeback or fraud risk (and they believe the credit cards to be stolen--so they certainly do). OP is basically claiming that he abused their payment system, but didn't abuse it in the way that Amazon thinks that he abused it. He will get his money back, but Amazon is going to take their sweet time going about it.

Too bad you need cooperation from law enforcement to bring a criminal action against them. Otherwise I'd say that this pattern of behavior against their victims, er, customers is starting to sound like RICO material. I mean if they can charge SAC with RICO for the mishavior of a few underlings, surely they can charge HSBC, the IRS, or anyone else they want.

And how about all the retroactive charges on the account. OP was "churning" the cards...since he issued many refunds and still got stuck with $15k the churn amount was far greater. Assuming he only gets stuck with 2-3%.....that is 2-3% of a number bigger than $15k and it is applied for every churn.

cristinaaaron said:   vishalj77 said:   cristinaaaron said:   

And how about all the retroactive charges on the account. OP was "churning" the cards...since he issued many refunds and still got stuck with $15k the churn amount was far greater. Assuming he only gets stuck with 2-3%.....that is 2-3% of a number bigger than $15k and it is applied for every churn.

But the terms state specifically that any cash advance fees would be issued "directly by your Card issuer. We are not responsible for these fees". Amazon has nothing to do with it. They don't charge the fee, they don't collect on the fee. Even if he churned 10MM and is subject to 2-3% of all of it, that is no business of Amazon's other than to "tell" on him to the cc issuers that all of those transactions should of been treated as cash advances on their end. Frankly the card issuers seem more content to just close out HH'ers accounts and possibly blacklist them than to retroactively collect on rewards paid (main exception being Citi as of late issuing stop payment on rewards checks, but even that only has about a 2 month reach in rewards activity).

rsrvoir said:   cristinaaaron said:   vishalj77 said:   cristinaaaron said:   

But the terms state specifically that any cash advance fees would be issued "directly by your Card issuer. We are not responsible for these fees". Amazon has nothing to do with it. They don't charge the fee, they don't collect on the fee. Even if he churned 10MM and is subject to 2-3% of all of it, that is no business of Amazon's other than to "tell" on him to the cc issuers that all of those transactions should of been treated as cash advances on their end. Frankly the card issuers seem more content to just close out HH'ers accounts and possibly blacklist them than to retroactively collect on rewards paid (main exception being Citi as of late issuing stop payment on rewards checks, but even that only has about a 2 month reach in rewards activity).

3.4 Account Limits; Availability of Funds. Your Payment Account may be subject to certain limits, which may affect your ability to send, receive, or withdraw funds. Any limits may be modified at any time. These limits may be affected by several factors, including without limitation our assessment of the risk associated with your Payment Account, the amount of pending or potential Chargebacks, the information you provide, our ability to verify your account information, and requirements of law. In addition to account limits, we may restrict transactions to or from your Payments Account or limit access to funds in your Payment Account in an amount and for a period of time we deem necessary to protect us or other users including without limitation if (a) we are subject to financial risk, (b) you have violated any term of this Agreement, (c) you have pending Chargebacks or we believe you may have Chargebacks, (d) any dispute exists involving your Payment Account or transaction conducted in connection with your Payment Account, (e) needed to protect the security of our systems, or (f) required by law or court order or if otherwise requested by law enforcement or any governmental entity. We may inspect your Payment Account for any reason.

Also, this:

B10 Additional Representations and Warranties. You represent and warrant to us that: (a) any sales transaction submitted by you will represent a bona fide sale by you as described on your website or Application,

Amazon can pretty much hold your money for as long as they want. Good luck with your lawsuit.

cristinaaaron said:   vishalj77 said:   cristinaaaron said:   

Any cash advance fee is between him and the card issuer and has nothing to do with Amazon. Even if the card issuer chooses to charge fees, Amazon will still be holding the same $15k and there will just be a larger balance due on the credit card.

The point you keep missing is that Amazon is keeping the money. There is absolutely no way they can claim they're entitled to it. Any risk they face is in the event of a chargeback/fraud from the card being used, and returning the money to the credit card resolves that entirely (not to mention, is the legally required thing to do in the event of such a crime). To hold onto money that they're claiming is stolen accomplishes nothing beyond making themselves an accessory to the alleged crime.

And no matter how they "investigate", a 30-second phone call will confirm or deny that the card(s) being used were stolen or not. It doesnt take over 6 months.

OP - have you approached this from the customer perspective yet? Having the person sending the money contact Amazon and ask for it to be returned to the funding card? Bitching about how they'd sent this money over 6 months ago but the payee still hasnt received it, so you want it back so you can give it to them using other means?

If you really want to bluff (cant say I'd recommend it), add crap about late fees and interest being charged by the merchant because your account with the merchant remains unpaid because Amazon stole the money instead.

A question: How long is Amazon entitled to hold funds based purely on suspicion of illegal activity, rather than direct accusation of same? It's hard to believe Anazon could get away with keeping the funds as long as they like, perhaps indefinitely.

I wonder if OP could bring multiple small claims court actions against Amazon, assuming the maximum small court claim amount in OP's jurisdiction is less than $15K.

vishalj77 said:   cristinaaaron said:   Am I the only one who doesn't feel sorry for OP here? OP basically entered into a bunch of sham transactions to get credit card rewards....he got greedy and now has $15k in limbo while Amazon convinces themselves that this is all there was to it.

Using your Amazon account as a drop shipper, yeah, that will get you banned pretty quickly.

DutchessPDX said:   

Using your Amazon account as a drop shipper, yeah, that will get you banned pretty quickly.

Had goods shipped to my address. So, no..

Did some research though, they seem to shut down seller accounts more frequently than buyer accounts. Apparently some of the Amazon staff have resorted to selling on Amazon.com - so dubious as it sounds, they definitely gain an advantage by shutting down competitors' accounts. At first I thought it was silly, but seeing how Amazon deals with freezing accounts, not disbursing payments, etc I wouldn't be surprised.

jcohen73 said:   vishalj77 said:   cristinaaaron said:   

are you a lawyer? if not, i wouldn't expect a response from the GC.

Skipping 35 Messages...
KYBOSH said:   

I always smile to myself when i hear people accusing ginormous companies of holding on to their hundred or thousands of dollars a few extra days/weeks/months just so they can make a few extra pennies on the interest earned during that period.

Not surprising, considering most of us at FW do it as well (well, with our money of course) When interest rates were in the 4-5% range for money market accounts.. I would 'borrow' funds from my credit cards by processing them via a merchant account.. let them 'sit' in the merchant account for a month and then refund it back. There were months when I was making well over $700 in interest.

So, 'ginormous' companies have access to hundreds of millions of dollars in funds. The interest they earn on that is well more than a few pennies.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014