• Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I used have a pretty cavaliar attitude about office dress when I first graduated and started working. Eventually, I wised up. This thread is about dressing up conservatively and appropriately for office and keeping the cost at a minimum. Hopefully, I will get a valuable tip or two from the responses.

My own contribution can only be done with men in mind. I am totally clueless about women's formal dresses and how/where to get them on the cheap. Female FWF members, please chime in.

Components of Men's dress (in the order of importance as I see it):
1. Shirts
2. Shoes
3. Pants
4. Belt
5. Tie
6. Suit

Shirts:
I need a wardrobe of about 10 good quality shirts to pull me through. People can do with a lot less, or may need a lot more. If you dress formally - you will likely need less (3 shirts X 2 Suits X 3 ties = 18 distinct outfits).
Getting the size right is very important (and often very frustrating for some people). It took me almost 1 year since I started caring about good fit to find the right sizes from the right vendors.
The Shirts I use are Brooks Brothers (off-the-shelf), Charles Tyrwhitt (off-the-shelf) and Indochino (custom). Custom obviously fits best, but costs me around $80 per shirt. BB can be had for $44 during their annual sales. Charles Tyrwhitt has a deal right now where you can get the shirts for $30/shirt. I personally think that BB material is better (more comfy, durable, looks sharper), while CT has superior tailoring.
I have never run the hard numbers, but think my net expenses have decreased from the "get random clearence shirt from Macy's" days given the durability of these shirts when properly cared for.
Some BB's will do some customization for you. The price runs to around $200/shirt. I don't want to pay that much out of my pocket. I'm working towards some cc bonuses that will net me around 200k of AMEX MR points that can be converted to $2000 BB gift cards. Once I get that - I will probably get a few of their custom shirts.

Shoes:
I used to buy random $30 shoes from Target most of the time, and would get a $80 pair of rockports when I wanted to splurge. Recently (1 year ago) I switched to Allen Edmonds
, and they are hands down the most comfortable pairs I've ever owned.
AE's cost approximately $350/pair initially, but can be had for ~$200/pair if you wait around for a sale. It is almost essential to have at least two pairs and preferrably three, because you should let the shoe breathe between two wears.
With good shoes, I dont anticipate my net cost to decrease (the re-sole costs $125 and is required every 2-4 years, even though the shoe itself usually lasts decades). The difference would be in comfort (once you break into it) and how sharp they will keep looking for decades with good care.
I considered upgrading to a shell cordovan (Alden or even AE) that is supposed to last the wearers lifetime - but could not conjure up sufficient fortitude to shell out > $600 for a pair of shoes and lifetime guarantee. If you want the boasting rights - it may be a good idea .

Belts:
I still have a stock of the $15 generic belts found on clearence from Macy's/JCP/Target/Kohls. Once they run out, (or start looking really crappy) I will switch to "Saddleback Leather" or "Leather Goods Connection", two small leather goods makers with strong recommendataions, for belts in the $50-$90 range. Brand name belts supposedly with similar quality are way too expensive for my taste.

Pants:
Never really paid much attention and wore whatever fit me and looked okay. I got them either with suit pieces or bought them at generic places.

Tie:
Usually purchased on some offer (buy a shirt and a tie free).

Suits:
I've tried low end stuff (Men's Warehouse, K&G, Macys etc.). The money was pretty much thrown away with these. They look aweful after one wear and are completely destroyed after one road trip. The couple of wearable suit sets I have at this point are from Jos A Bank. I plan to upgrade to a pair of Indochino custom-made suits once their travelling tailor makes his way to my town next time. Eventually, I plan to have about 3 good quality suits that should last me for a decade or more.
The better suits are full-canvassed and not "fused". Full canvassed suits usually cost > $1000 a set. My Jos-A-Bank set is still fused. The Indochino suits (that I want to upgrade to) are in between full and half canvassed (body full canvassed, hands half) and are claimed to be as durable as the full canvassed ones. They cost between $500 - $700 a set.

Hope my tips help you. And please post your tips that can hopefully help me :-D...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
What would you have her focus on?

Porqin (Jun. 17, 2013 @ 4:36a) |

Brooks bros sale. 40% off dress shirts (if you buy 4).

user1337 (Jun. 17, 2013 @ 8:27p) |

If you have to ask ME, you just aren't doing it right...

bytem3 (Jun. 18, 2013 @ 4:08a) |

Love this thread, but thought I'd help condense. Location/brands of most recommended in this thread without having to take an international trip:

1. Shirts: Costco, Kirkland button down dress shirts, Ledbury slim, Brooks Brothers,Van Huesen oxford shirts, Lands' End
2. Shoes: Allen Edmonds, Mephistos, Johnston & Murphy
3. Pants: Haggar Dress Pants, Banana Republic khakis, Roundtree & York's easy care pants
4. Belt: Marshall's
5. Tie:
6. Suit: Jos. A Bank or Men's Wearhouse's for Pronto Uomo, Brooks Brothers, Go overseas
7. Socks: SmartWool(From Sierra Trading Post), Nordstrom over the calf dress socks in wool

Please add if you feel like you've got a good experience!
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

With all the money you are planning to spend, including the 200k AMEX MR, I would suggest use half of those AMEX MR and book a business class round trip to Thailand. Get custom made shirts, pants and suits while there. It will cost you a fraction of the price.

Shoes, Tie and the rest you can buy whatever.

I second Tyrwhitt shirts. Non-iron has saved me $ from dry cleaning and time from ironing.

Total cost for setting up a quality wardrobe:
1. 10 shirts @ $40/shirt = $400
2. 2 pairs of AE shoes = $400
3. 5 pants @ $80 = $400
4. "Old Bull Belt" from Saddleback Leather = $100.
5. Tie (usually free with the shirts during offers)
6. 2 indochino suits at @700 each = $1400.

Total Set up Cost = $2700

Maintenance cost per year:
1. 2 shirts @ $40 = $80.
2. 1/2 re-sole of shoes = $60.
3. Pants (2 pants @ $80) = $160.
4. tie - free.
5. Suits and shoe should not need replacement for a very long time.

Total maintenance cost per year = $300.

This cost does not look that high to me compared to the benefit of looking sharper in the workplace. Hell, I have spent more on a whim for gaming rigs in the past!!

The Bankok idea is also great and can save a lot of money if you can swing it. One of my colleagues got suits made by Ravi Gulati (apparently the most famous bespoke tailor in Bankok) and swears by them. He got 3 suits and 3 shirts for $800.

If you're a bit away from the american "average" you might want to pay attention to the "fit." I buy my shirts from express because their MX line is the only one that doesn't look baggy on me.

express is garbage. go BB extra slim if you need to look more tailored.

Suits - find out what size you are in various brands and buy them off eBay. No one is going to fake a hickey freeman suit, because it's too obscure for the average buyer to have name recognition. I've gotten them for $150 before and take them to my tailor to get fitted for fully canvased.
recrafted.

You need at least 10 shirts to get through two weeks without laundering them. Launder cool wash, damp dry and iron them yourself. It'll save you hundreds over a year in cleaning fees and broken buttons.

Buy ties you'll actually wear. I have a few dozen ties and wear probably 10 of them.

peeps4life said:   express is garbage. go BB extra slim if you need to look more tailored.Thanks. Never went into a BB before. Nearest one is close by in the airport. Will have to stop by when fly, or at the outlet. Having looked at most of the usual mall stores, express was the only one having slim fits.

I don't have to dress for work, but I do get my suits from an awesome Hong Kong tailor. He comes to the US twice a year or so on a 25 city tour. You meet him and get measured and select fabric and designs. He goes back to HK and makes the suit. It comes via UPS a month or so later. I gave him a pic of a Versace from a magazine and he made it perfectly with 2 custom shirts for $500. And I'm sure if I were buying multiples the price would go down per suit. If you want some random salaryman's suit with cheaper fabric and design it would have been less.

and if you are REALLY slim... charles tyrwhitt slim fit are slimmer than BB as it is a european cut while BB is more american. either way... trust me on express. the materials are not even close to as comfortable. i've learned over time that i'd rather wait for sales on quality manufactured clothing then get thrifty at gap, Kohls, etc.

The fit is pretty important. Not much point in having a high-end suit if it's ill-fitting.

How about people who are 6'2" - 6'4" (give or take) and 225-250 pounds? I frequently find shirts that fit in the chest, shoulders, and arms, but don't fit around the waist. What I mean by that, is the waist area is either too baggy and cannot be tucked in properly without bulging out in certain areas and covering my belt (looks sloppy), or they are just too slim around the abdomen.

Or, I get shirts that fit around the abdomen, but the armpit area is way too big, or the shoulders don't ride right on my body. I don't have an abnormally shaped body, I am just in between the slim and regular sizes. I suppose I could either lose or gain some weight...ha.

Shirts I've tried:
BB "regular" cut (too thin around abdomen and sleeves a bit shorter than the "normal" 26/27)
Men's Wearhouse's Kilborne and Finch (fit perfectly, but no longer made)
Men's Wearhouse's Pronto Umo regular fit (fit alright, but untuck/bulge out around my waistline; tried slim fit, but too slim around abdomen)
Men's Wearhouse's Joseph and Feiss regular fit (similar to Pronto Umo)
Tommy Hilfiger (too slim around chest and abdomen in XL, but XXL means HUGE neck)
Kohl's brands - I learned after two shirts that they are more garbage than I originally thought; had a gift card there

I recently ordered four shirts from Joseph A Bank. However, I don't anticipate that they'll be much [or any] better than the MW shirts.

I'm 17 1/2 neck and 26/27 arms. Any suggestions are really appreciated.

^^^ have you tried LandsEnd slim? They are easy to return at Sears.

Also, I found Nordstrom Rack to be a great place to find quality items. They stock items that's very location specific though. I think Nordstorm alternation is free for store card purchases.

Second the suggestion of Nordstrom rack.

jaytrader said:   How about people who are 6'2" - 6'4" (give or take) and 225-250 pounds? I frequently find shirts that fit in the chest, shoulders, and arms, but don't fit around the waist. What I mean by that, is the waist area is either too baggy and cannot be tucked in properly without bulging out in certain areas and covering my belt (looks sloppy), or they are just too slim around the abdomen.

Or, I get shirts that fit around the abdomen, but the armpit area is way too big, or the shoulders don't ride right on my body. I don't have an abnormally shaped body, I am just in between the slim and regular sizes. I suppose I could either lose or gain some weight...ha.

Shirts I've tried:
BB "regular" cut (too thin around abdomen and sleeves a bit shorter than the "normal" 26/27)
Men's Wearhouse's Pronto Umo regular fit (fit alright, but untuck/bulge out around my waistline; tried slim fit, but too slim around abdomen)
Tommy Hilfiger (too slim around chest and abdomen in XL, but XXL means HUGE neck)
Kohl's brands - I learned after two shirts that they are more garbage than I originally thought; had a gift card there

I recently ordered four shirts from Joseph A Bank. However, I don't anticipate that they'll be much [or any] better than the MW shirts.

two suggestions:
1. Indochino. Costs $80 for custom made shirts. Their lowest line is not as good a fabric as BB or CT. But the fit is awesome.
2. BB Custom - will cost you $200 a pop, which is still a lot cheaper than true bespoke.

I like the Donald Trump no iron shirts. I'm not sure how they compare in quality to BB / CT. I would imagine a notch down. They are better than Express IMHO. I can often find decent styles on clearance at Macy's for under $25.

surprised no one has mentioned Costco Kirkland Signature dress shirts. they are a great value - $16 for non-iron and they are comparable to Brooks Brothers

ZenNUTS said:   ^^^ I think Nordstorm alternation is free for store card purchases.

This partially true. You need to spend 10k on the card to get unlimited free alterations. Otherwise, you only get a $100 alteration credit.

For shirts, I will go to TM Lewin. They have stores in London, and sell a ton on the internet. You can get 4 or 5 excellent quality shirts for 100 GBP.

I would HIGHLY recommend having more than 3 shirts. If you have 3 shirts, you will destroy them very quickly. Have 10 if you have closet room, and maybe 15 if you have more closet room.

If you go with TM Lewin, I recommend getting the non-Iron variety. The problem with shirts is not so much the purchase cost (you can have an excellent quality, well fitting shirt from $25-$40). The problem is cleaning. If you dry clean (basic laundry service) that shirt every other week or every third week, then it is $1.25-$2.00 a clean, depending on where you are. Thus, it is 17-25 times the one-time cleaning cost, or $20 - $52. Thinking of another way. Most people would say that a good cotton shirt can be dry cleaned / laundered 50-60 times. Thus, the cost to clean them is $1.25-$2 x 50-60, or $60 to $120.

So buying non-Iron means you can wash them at home, and you don't need to iron them.

For shoes, I highly recommend DSW Show Warehouse. For $30 or so, you can have very good quality leather sole / leather upper shoes.

Suits. Hmm. If you are in New York, I will recommend Century 21.
Other places, not sure.

i3ighead said:   I second Tyrwhitt shirts. Non-iron has saved me $ from dry cleaning and time from ironing.

Who is better: C.Tyrwhitt, or TM.Lewin?

absolutg said:   surprised no one has mentioned Costco Kirkland Signature dress shirts. they are a great value - $16 for non-iron and they are comparable to Brooks Brothers

But how is the fit? If you are a slim guy, and the shirts fit you like a sack, and there is a huge amount of fabric under the arms, then you will look like Macaulay Culkin trying to fit into a Danny Devito outfit.

jaytrader said:   How about people who are 6'2" - 6'4" (give or take) and 225-250 pounds? I frequently find shirts that fit in the chest, shoulders, and arms, but don't fit around the waist. What I mean by that, is the waist area is either too baggy and cannot be tucked in properly without bulging out in certain areas and covering my belt (looks sloppy), or they are just too slim around the abdomen.

Shirts I've tried:

Don't mean to be disrespectful, but those are all junk brands.

Try British made shirts.

tolamapS said:   absolutg said:   surprised no one has mentioned Costco Kirkland Signature dress shirts. they are a great value - $16 for non-iron and they are comparable to Brooks Brothers

But how is the fit? If you are a slim guy, and the shirts fit you like a sack, and there is a huge amount of fabric under the arms, then you will look like Macaulay Culkin trying to fit into a Danny Devito outfit.

when I was there last, I saw they had a separate section for slim cut shirts. I can't verify they fit well though.

If you want to hit way above what you paid as weird as it sounds check out this place: Wizard of Aahs

See your question should have been posed to this forum: Style Forums

From there it's quite likely that a few people would recommend Wizard of Aahs. I have one of their better suits from there that I paid about $250 for that is way nicer than all of my $500-$1000 suits except for my Zegna. For one reason I it's full canvass and not even my $700 Hugo Boss suit is full canvas it's fused(glued) together.

Basically, from what I've read Jeff at Wizard of Aahs built his business off of eBay(when I got mine) by tracking down ridiculously low priced suits 1 at a time and then reselling them. He started to enough business off his page that he hunted out manufacturers of very impressive name brand suits who had factories that also produced a non name brand version(but of pretty much the same quality) and he started importing large quantities and reselling them for cheap. I can tell you from first hand experience that everybody I know that has gotten one from his outfit is ridiculously impressed including myself. If you search style forums they even feature some people that dissected a couple of the suits he sells and they said it's really hard to find better for even double the cost. FYI he does give bulk discounts and also has been known to give a discount to one even 1 suit if you mention that you'll review his suit on style forums(you don't even have to tell him that it will be a good review just that you will). I've also noticed that he has brought his prices down even more since I bought a few years ago for the same suits.

The other great option is as others mentioned is to take a trip to Southeast Asia. If you buy 5 suits your trip is basically paid for on the savings. Again check style forums as they have reviewed a ton of the good tailors in Vietnam, South Korea, Hong Kong, etc. on that site so that you don't get taken by a cheap place.

Hope this helps!

TravelerMSY said:   I don't have to dress for work, but I do get my suits from an awesome Hong Kong tailor. He comes to the US twice a year or so on a 25 city tour. You meet him and get measured and select fabric and designs. He goes back to HK and makes the suit. It comes via UPS a month or so later. I gave him a pic of a Versace from a magazine and he made it perfectly with 2 custom shirts for $500. And I'm sure if I were buying multiples the price would go down per suit. If you want some random salaryman's suit with cheaper fabric and design it would have been less.

You get your's from WW Chan? I've thought about getting a custom when he's on tour, but never actually get around to it(also waiting for a few cheaper ones to go in the garbage before restocking). From what I understand there is no outfit in the world that is a better deal for true top quality than outfit.

dshibb, thanks for the post. Have not heard of the Wizard of the Aahs. Will check them out. Also, thanks for reminding again to check the style forums.

dshibb said:   TravelerMSY said:   I don't have to dress for work, but I do get my suits from an awesome Hong Kong tailor. He comes to the US twice a year or so on a 25 city tour. You meet him and get measured and select fabric and designs. He goes back to HK and makes the suit. It comes via UPS a month or so later. I gave him a pic of a Versace from a magazine and he made it perfectly with 2 custom shirts for $500. And I'm sure if I were buying multiples the price would go down per suit. If you want some random salaryman's suit with cheaper fabric and design it would have been less.

You get your's from WW Chan? I've thought about getting a custom when he's on tour, but never actually get around to it(also waiting for a few cheaper ones to go in the garbage before restocking). From what I understand there is no outfit in the world that is a better deal for true top quality than outfit.

I use David Chow.

Close-outs at high-end department stores.

There was a time when you could get a $200 JC Penny suit that looked as good as much more expensive ones.

TravelerMSY said:   
I use David Chow.

Hadn't heard of him. I searched and he's referenced once at Style Forums and it was a positive review.

Can you give us an idea of prices and quality with him.

Thanks!

I was satisfied with my Versace knockoff suit. I brought a picture but he knew that one well. My partner has also bought suits from him in the past. He does suits for a lot of Vegas pit bosses too. I think his company is DC Mohex Fashions. I have his email but I don't think he has a website or anything. I met him at a layover at the Houston airport.

TravelerMSY said:   I was satisfied with my Versace knockoff suit. I brought a picture but he knew that one well. My partner has also bought suits from him in the past. He does suits for a lot of Vegas pit bosses too. I think his company is DC Mohex Fashions. I have his email but I don't think he has a website or anything. I met him at a layover at the Houston airport.

According to the review: dcmohex@hotmail.com

And price? I saw $400-600 which is really, really good, but just want to make sure that is right!

General answers for shirts does not work. Typically, the obese and those who are normal weight can't order from the same stores. For the obese, US stores are the best. Those who are normal weight should order European clothes.

Anyone got recs for non-iron modern-fit flat-front chinos? I had been going for the slim fit non iron dockers but the quality of those is pretty crappy. I hate ironing so much... Extra slim BB shirts save me probably 100 hours a year.

tolamapS said:   For shirts, I will go to TM Lewin. They have stores in London, and sell a ton on the internet. You can get 4 or 5 excellent quality shirts for 100 GBP.

I would HIGHLY recommend having more than 3 shirts. If you have 3 shirts, you will destroy them very quickly. Have 10 if you have closet room, and maybe 15 if you have more closet room.

If you go with TM Lewin, I recommend getting the non-Iron variety. The problem with shirts is not so much the purchase cost (you can have an excellent quality, well fitting shirt from $25-$40). The problem is cleaning. If you dry clean (basic laundry service) that shirt every other week or every third week, then it is $1.25-$2.00 a clean, depending on where you are. Thus, it is 17-25 times the one-time cleaning cost, or $20 - $52. Thinking of another way. Most people would say that a good cotton shirt can be dry cleaned / laundered 50-60 times. Thus, the cost to clean them is $1.25-$2 x 50-60, or $60 to $120.

So buying non-Iron means you can wash them at home, and you don't need to iron them.

TM Lewin's slimmest fit shirts do not come in non-iron. TM Lewin's "slim fit" shirts are not for those who are slim.

absolutg said:   surprised no one has mentioned Costco Kirkland Signature dress shirts. they are a great value - $16 for non-iron and they are comparable to Brooks Brothers
Costco Kirkland shirts are excellent value, but they will only fit those who are overweight.

If a job requires me to wear a suit it had better pay enough to justify buying one let alone wearing if ...

Shoes are definitely worth splurging on if looking good matters to you. (For guys.) my last pair were about 450 but going strong 7 years later. Polish and get them resoled occasionally. Go with rubber or hybrid flexible soles for comfort. Youre not fooling anyone who notices with $30 clunkers.

Wearing undershirts increases the longevity of dress shirts (inevitable pit/deodorant stains) but is miserable in hot weather.

Most importantly for any sedentary office worker. Take good care of your health and exercise. (I learned this the hard way.) Clothes only look as good as whats underneath them.

I second the suggestion to go to Asia and get a contact. I got hooked up with a tailor in Thailand when I was there last year. I had not been able to find good looking pants for less than $80/pair and then of course you have to have them tailored. I negotiated a tailor there into giving me blocks of 3 pairs for $100. I also have all of his contact information and can order more and pay another $30 shipping.

puddonhead said:   Total cost for setting up a quality wardrobe:
1. 10 shirts @ $40/shirt = $400
2. 2 pairs of AE shoes = $400
3. 5 pants @ $80 = $400
4. "Old Bull Belt" from Saddleback Leather = $100.
5. Tie (usually free with the shirts during offers)
6. 2 indochino suits at @700 each = $1400.

Total Set up Cost = $2700

Conveniently enough, you can sell your MR points for ~$2700 cash. Check the AMEX threads for details.

Threads on this topic pop up in Finance occasionally -- I've seen several come and go.

I tried to look up the related threads that several years ago I personally had posted in, but they aren't even in the "archive" - not sure why.

However, if you do general search of the Fatwallet archives, you will surely find a few older threads from the Finance forum on this topic that will have a lot of good ideas in them.

Note: To look in the archived threads, every single time you search, you have to tick a certain box on the search form - the archived threads are not searched automatically.

===
Also, I haven't read the responses to the OP, so I don't know if anyone here has recommended The Art of Manliness website -- it's got general tips for men's wardrobes and clothing care.

Below are some links that I posted in a thread on clothing on Fatwallet Finance 3 years ago, so they are a bit old now, though the info would still be useful. I'm sure that there are many other articles on the site that are helpful.

part 1 of How to Build a Manly Wardrobe
http://artofmanliness.com/2010/04/16/how-to-build-a-manly-wardro...

A guide to dry cleaning
http://artofmanliness.com/2009/11/05/dry_cleaning_guide/

Alterations every man needs
http://artofmanliness.com/2010/02/26/the-art-of-manliness-suit-s...

dshibb said:   TravelerMSY said:   I was satisfied with my Versace knockoff suit. I brought a picture but he knew that one well. My partner has also bought suits from him in the past. He does suits for a lot of Vegas pit bosses too. I think his company is DC Mohex Fashions. I have his email but I don't think he has a website or anything. I met him at a layover at the Houston airport.

According to the review: dcmohex@hotmail.com

And price? I saw $400-600 which is really, really good, but just want to make sure that is right!

I paid $550 for a suit and two shirts. That price took a little negotiating.

He made some exotic suits for my partner. One is red and looks like the Joker. The other has a shiny silver pattern and looks like an aluminum-foil baked potato.

Skipping 129 Messages...
Porqin said:   What would you have her focus on?
If you have to ask ME, you just aren't doing it right...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014