• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I remember some time ago there was something on Fat Wallet about a class action against Chase regarding their Payment Protector (Kardonick, et al. v. JPMOrgan Chase & Co., et al.
Today I was happily surprised to get in the mail a settlement check for $453.66 for my share from the Net Settlement Fund.

I tried to search Fat Wallet for the old thread that talked about this class action but I couldn't find it.

Evidently the Settlement Fund was $20,000,000 and there were only about 190,000 people in the class.

Did anyone else receive a settlement check? If so, how much was yours for?

http://www.kardonicksettlement.com/

Who is in the Settlement Class and what are Payment Protection Products? (top)
The United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida has certified, for settlement purposes only, a class action Kardonick, et. al. v. JPMorgan Chase & Co. et al., Case No. 10-cv-23235. The class (the "Settlement Class") is defined as:

All Chase credit card holders who were enrolled in or billed for a Payment Protection Product at any time between September 1, 2004 and November 11, 2010. Excluded from the class are all Chase cardholders whose Chase credit card accounts that were enrolled or billed for a Payment Protection Product were discharged in bankruptcy.

Chase credit card holders include holders of Chase-issued credit and charge card accounts and Chase-issued business cards and private label cards such as Chase-issued Toys "R" Us, Kohl's, TJMaxx, Best Buy, or Circuit City cards.

"Payment Protection Product" means any products offered by Chase (whether directly or indirectly through co-brand, private label, or other partners) under which credit card debt may be cancelled or suspended under certain circumstances such as death, disability, hospitalization, or unemployment. Payment Protection Products include, but are not limited to, Chase Payment Protector, Chase Payment Advantage, Account Protection Plan, Total Protection Plan, Account Security Plan, Account Ease, and any other Chase business card or private label account debt suspension or cancellation product, by whatever name any of the foregoing products are or were known. "Payment Protection Product" does not include non-credit card products. In some instances, cardholders may be class members because they enrolled in a payment protection product on a Bank One, Providian or Washington Mutual credit card account and then continued their enrollment after the account became a Chase account.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Got one for ~$150 and another for ~$220 last week. Very nice day for opening the mail.

christoj879 (Jun. 06, 2013 @ 6:26a) |

I got a 70-something. I hope I didn't throw any others away.

BrianGa (Jun. 06, 2013 @ 6:52a) |

Somebody's check got bounced - reason: "refer to maker", it is on aother "Kardonick" thread. Does anybody else has the s... (more)

Bobobo (Jun. 15, 2013 @ 12:21p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Got one for around 450 and another around 550. I was expecting just a few bucks. Shocked to open it up.

maddybeagle said:   Got one for around 450 and another around 550. I was expecting just a few bucks. Shocked to open it up.

Wow. You got two checks? I wonder why that was. How many cards did you have in the class? I got one check only and I am happy with that. I think I had about three credits cards that qualified to be a part of the class (meaning three credit cards I had enrolled in Chase Credit Protector within the given dates). I wonder if my one check for $453 is for all three cards or if I will be getting additional checks like you did. I like you was expecting just a few dollars. To be honest I had totally forgotten about it until I received the check in the mail today after work. It was almost like I won the lottery.

Hearing what you guys got I want to cry. I must have had only one card qualify, I got $151. I guess I shouldn't complain, free money is always good.

I have two Chase Credit Cards and got one $75.61 check today.

Wondering if I would get a second check from them...?

To clarify, my 2 cumulative checks were for 2 individual household cardholders. I had a lot of cards and might have added that some were authorized users for the others accounts. Also churned a lot of those credit protector checks.

snowbound66 said:   I have two Chase Credit Cards and got one $75.61 check today.

Wondering if I would get a second check from them...?

It makes me wonder why some of us got huge check amounts and others got considerably lesser amounts. Doesn't seem to make much sense. I wonder how they determine exactly how much each person will get. As I remember when we signed up they actually told us which cards would qualify, didn't they? I remember vaguely I had three cards and today I got a check for $453.66. How and why I got that much is beyond me, but I am not complaining.

For those of you who got more than one check? When did the second check come? Was it at the same time with the first check or how many days later?

maddybeagle said:   To clarify, my 2 cumulative checks were for 2 individual household cardholders. I had a lot of cards and might have added that some were authorized users for the others accounts. Also churned a lot of those credit protector checks.

Me too. I churned a lot of those Chase Credit Protector checks. I remember they would send you a check and if you cashed it on the back when you endorsed it you were also giving Chase permission to sign you up for Credit Protector. So not only did Chase pay me back then to sign up for Credit Protector, they paid me again with this lawsuit. As Chase's slogan goes: "Chase what matters."

One credit card and only cashed one of those Chase Credit Protector checks, amount received $37.81

stormdog123 said:   One credit card and only cashed one of those Chase Credit Protector checks, amount received $37.81I think here is our base point. If someone had asked, I would have guessed I did four of those checks, and it looks like that was exactly what it came out to be.

PhrugalPhan said:   stormdog123 said:   One credit card and only cashed one of those Chase Credit Protector checks, amount received $37.81I think here is our base point. If someone had asked, I would have guessed I did four of those checks, and it looks like that was exactly what it came out to be.

I think this is accurate. I also got $37.81. One Chase card. I usually threw away those checks (stupid me throwing away free money!), but I might have cashed one.

I got 4 x 75

From the settlement page:

If you made a claim for payment protection plan benefits and your claim was denied, it is estimated you will receive $60, before fees and expenses.
If you were billed for or enrolled in a Chase Payment Protection Product without your knowledge or consent and/or, at any point during your enrollment in a Chase Payment Protection Product, you were self-employed, retired, seasonally employed, employed less than 30 hours per week (or less than 15 hours per week for students), or if you voluntarily forfeited your job (resigned), it is estimated you will receive $30, before fees and expenses.
If none of the above categories apply to you, but you are not completely satisfied with the Chase Payment Protection Product(s) in which you were enrolled at any point between September 1, 2004 and November 11, 2010, it is estimated you will receive $15, before fees and expenses.

These figures are only estimates. Actual payments could be more or less than these amounts.

got $113 and some change.

Do we have to pay taxes on this money? Do you think they let the IRS know about the payouts? Where would you include this income? on the "other income" line on the 1040?

Got $226.83. Both my parents received 75~

No you don't have to pay taxes on money received from a lawsuit.

Old archived thread is here:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&thre...

Strange that the payouts differ so much from the original promises.

$75.62 here with my name.. Dunno spouse will get something too. Don't remember I filed the claim for both of us or only me.

With Chase blacklist because of AARP, any money from them is good..

mapen said:   Old archived thread is here:

Looking back at the old thread, it shows I had 6 different cards (not just the three I said earlier). So with 6 cards that is probably why my payout was $453. Makes a little more sense now. Hard to believe it took over two years to finally get the money from this. The court system sure is slow.

I got a postcard sized check for $37.81 and a check in an envelope for $189.05.

mapen said:   Old archived thread is here:

I am the OP of the original thread.
My check was for $453.69. I had forgotten about this and am now very glad I took the time to do it!
I had a lot of Chase Credit Cards at that time.

I got $302.44

wow...all of you lucky people in 300s, 400s and 500s....I got one for $75.62 but I'm not complaining...something is better than nothing.

Best thing is i don't remember anything about payment protector plan and I don't even remember enrolling in any (btn 2004 and 2010) and I don't remember filing a claim either !!

I got $75.62. I cashed a bunch of credit protector checks. $75 I wasn't expecting.

130 for me!

haha, this feel like lottery, i just sign up and didn't even expect to get paid!

desidealmaster said:   wow...all of you lucky people in 300s, 400s and 500s....I got one for $75.62 but I'm not complaining...something is better than nothing.

Best thing is i don't remember anything about payment protector plan and I don't even remember enrolling in any (btn 2004 and 2010) and I don't remember filing a claim either !!
Maybe you filed for class membership and just forgot? I'm pretty sure I didn't file a claim and no check's been seen here. Sure, I would cash one if it came, but to me these were not confusing programs and I did not feel duped by having to read terms, call an 800 number within 30 days and otherwise enjoy the (usually) $15 freebie trial incentive. Actually, I miss those checks.

Didn't Trilegent run these programs? I got myself blacklisted with them so I figured I stopped receiving the payment protector enrollment checks due to that, but maybe they stopped for everyone. Is anyone here still receiving such offers?

$75.62 for my wife, which is a bit strange as I do most of the credit card churning in my name. I probably filled out a claim form for each of us.

Nothing yet for me, let's hope for a biggie in the mail.

$189 total.. received 2 checks.

i received only 37.xx, oh well, something better than nothing.

Got 2 checks for $37.81, one for me and one for my wife. Free money is good. Surprised at the big numbers that the others got. Wonder how they calculated the amounts.

I think I have figured out how the settlement check amounts are determined. I went back and checked my
records in my Quicken software, and found that I cashed 7 of the Chase Protector bonus checks in the
2006-2007 time period ($20 bonus per check). I received 2 checks yesterday from the settlement - 1 for
$37.81 and one for $226.86. Notice that $226.86 is exactly six times $37.81. Therefore, it appears
that the settlement amount would equal $37.81 for every time you signed up for Chase Credit Protector.
My total settlement of $264.67 represents exactly $37.81 for each of the times that I signed up. It
seems that everyone who has posted a settlement check amount on this forum has listed a figure that is
a multiple of the $37.81 base award amount.

I got totally screwed then, received only $1.xx.

tapeguy said:   I think I have figured out how the settlement check amounts are determined. I went back and checked my
records in my Quicken software, and found that I cashed 7 of the Chase Protector bonus checks in the
2006-2007 time period ($20 bonus per check). I received 2 checks yesterday from the settlement - 1 for
$37.81 and one for $226.86. Notice that $226.86 is exactly six times $37.81. Therefore, it appears
that the settlement amount would equal $37.81 for every time you signed up for Chase Credit Protector.
My total settlement of $264.67 represents exactly $37.81 for each of the times that I signed up. It
seems that everyone who has posted a settlement check amount on this forum has listed a figure that is

Good sleuthing!

We got $226.86 (in 2 checks). What a pleasant surprise !

302.44 yay for free money

tapeguy said:   I think I have figured out how the settlement check amounts are determined. I went back and checked my

Very interesting... I guess I should have signed up many more times than I did. $4-500 extra would be nice at the moment! I'm jealous of those who received so much. I remember those $20 offers showing up all the time (grr hindsight!)

Are you guys going to deposit your check(s) into your Chase checking account? Ha-ha

I got 113.xx and the wife got 37.xx

Another $75ish one here. I think I only used CP once or twice (blurs with Citi which I think I churned a ton). I had 3 personal and 3 business cards for under a year (then Chase blacklisted me for a couple years).

Skipping 22 Messages...
Somebody's check got bounced - reason: "refer to maker", it is on aother "Kardonick" thread. Does anybody else has the same issue?
BTW, the bank will charge the bouncing fee depending on the rules.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014