• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
With the "death" of the 2% Priceline card, there are few 2% alternatives aside from Fidelity AMEX and the Capital One Spark Cash card for Business. Does anyone have experience using a Small Business card for routine personal expenses? I have an AMEX Business Gold Rewards Card which I've occasionally used for personal charges while predominately using it for business expenses.

Thanks,

Member Summary
Options:
- Fidelity AMEX - 2%
- Fidelity Visa Signature Card - 1.5% on the first $15,000 charged per year, then 2%
- Capital One Spark Cash - 2% but with $59/annual fee

Between the last two, below $11,800 in annual spend you are better off with Fidelity Visa and above that the Spark Cash makes more sense (net of annual fee)
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have Chase Ink business that gives 5% on telecommunications, office supplies, and maybe a few other categories. I use it to pay Cablevision and Staples. I originally got it with a $250 signup bonus a couple years ago. It pays 1% on all other categories and has a relatively low $20 minimum redemption for statement credit. Be careful about using it to pay for items from questionable merchants since the chargeback protection is lesser than you get with a personal card.

The best deal around right now, if you haven't used it yet, is the TD Cash Rewards card that gives 5% on groceries, gas, drugstores, telecommunications, and restaurants for the first six months (and 1% in all other categories), then defaults back to 1% on everything after six months. After your six months are up, have your spouse apply for the same card and get another six months of 5% on pretty much everything. Also it's not a business card, which is nice.

sayhey said:   With the "death" of the 2% Priceline card, there are few 2% alternatives aside from Fidelity AMEX and the Capital One Spark Cash card for Business. Does anyone have experience using a Small Business card for routine personal expenses? I have an AMEX Business Gold Rewards Card which I've occasionally used for personal charges while predominately using it for business expenses.

Thanks,

Keeping business and personal charges separate helps with record keeping. But as long as you don't deduct your personal spending as business expenses you'll be fine. Just don't expect the same protections as with personal accounts ( you can still do chargebacks, etc, but there isn't as much legal requirements they have to follow). And if its a corporate/LLC card, mixing the personal and business spending **might** be used to help 'pierce the corporate veil'.

DTASFAB said:   

The best deal around right now, if you haven't used it yet, is the TD Cash Rewards card that gives 5% on groceries, gas, drugstores, telecommunications, and restaurants for the first six months (and 1% in all other categories),

Not on-topic, but you incorrectly included drugstores - that isn't a 5% category for the TD Bank card.

I just use Discover and AMEX Blue for everything -- works out 'fairly' well.

To answer your question... I've done plenty of personal transactions on a business card.

It makes it a lot easier for accounting purposes to keep them separate though, so I actually have multiple bus cards and keep 1 strictly business.

I've never had a problem using business for personal. I have Chase, American Express, and US Bank.

If you are a sole-proprietor then there is no issue mixing business and personal expenses as long as you don't deduct your personal expenses as business expenses. If you are a partner/member in LLC, a corporation, partnership etc, then you are better off keeping your personal and business expenses separate.

Thanks for all of your input. It sounds like the issuers aren't concerned with the use of business cards for primarily personal expenses in spite of the T&C: " you are REPRESENTING THAT ALL CARD(S) ISSUED ON THE ACCOUNT WILL ONLY BE USED FOR COMMERCIAL OR BUSINESS PURPOSES".

Another way to capture 2% is to apply for a Fidelity Visa Signature Card. It pays 1.5% on the first $15,000 charged per year, then 2%. On the first $15,000, you're losing $75 compared to the 2% offered on the Spark Cash. However, the Spark card has a $59/year annual fee after the first year, so it's really a wash.

Much appreciated,

DTASFAB said:   The best deal around right now, if you haven't used it yet, is the TD Cash Rewards card that gives 5% on groceries, gas, drugstores, telecommunications, and restaurants for the first six months (and 1% in all other categories), then defaults back to 1% on everything after six months. After your six months are up, have your spouse apply for the same card and get another six months of 5% on pretty much everything. Also it's not a business card, which is nice.

Is there a spending cap on that 5%?

since they misplaced the word "only" the clause is essentially meaningless.

cKGunslinger said:   DTASFAB said:   The best deal around right now, if you haven't used it yet, is the TD Cash Rewards card that gives 5% on groceries, gas, drugstores, telecommunications, and restaurants for the first six months (and 1% in all other categories), then defaults back to 1% on everything after six months. After your six months are up, have your spouse apply for the same card and get another six months of 5% on pretty much everything. Also it's not a business card, which is nice.

Not a published one. Just try not to be stupid about it.

Something to be aware of with business credit cards is that you don't get the same consumer protection with regards to disputes. Be careful about that.

DTASFAB said:   cKGunslinger said:   DTASFAB said:   The best deal around right now, if you haven't used it yet, is the TD Cash Rewards card that gives 5% on groceries, gas, drugstores, telecommunications, and restaurants for the first six months (and 1% in all other categories), then defaults back to 1% on everything after six months. After your six months are up, have your spouse apply for the same card and get another six months of 5% on pretty much everything. Also it's not a business card, which is nice.

Not a published one. Just try not to be stupid about it.

Oh yeah, geographic limits. Bah!

Did you have to file Schedule C with regards to your "business"?

When you say death you mean the fact new applications are not being accepted and some online purchases are being blocked? I was unaware Priceline stopped their 2% CB otherwise?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014