Target Debit Card Fees?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am planning to open a Target Debit Card, and I notice in the fee section, it shows:

Amount State in which EFT occurred
$40 DE, FL (if EFT amount is greater than $300), MS
$35 CA (except for first return), MD, VA
$30 AL, AK, FL (if EFT amount is $50.01-$300), GA, IA, KS, MN, MT, OH, SC, SD, TN, TX, WY
$25 AZ, AR, CA (first return only), DC, FL (if EFT amount is less than $50), IL, KY, LA, ME, MA, MI, MO, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NC, ND, OK, OR, RI, VT, WA, WV, WI
$20 CO, CT, HI, ID, IN, NY, PA, UT

What is this mean? If I link my checking account to pay the bill, will that consider EFT? and I will get charge by the fee?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Get the credit card

That is oddly worded, but I believe they mean a Non-Sufficient Fund (NSF) fee. So if you bought $100 worth of stuff with the Target Debit Card and only had $80 in your linked checking account, you would receive a fee from Target in addition to what your bank would charge.

I have the Target Debit Card and have never encountered a fee for a simple Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) from my checking. I believe they used the wrong acronym on their website.

I think they are missing this line
•Returned Payment

Which makes those fees make more sense.

Here's something I found that helps confirm that

And all along, they figured they had a stopgap, thinking that they would be barred from making a purchase if they didn't have enough money in the account. No money? No purchase. It all seemed very straightforward.

"Well, surprise, surprise, surprise," Jamie says.

Instead of happening automatically, one of their Target purchases had taken days to clear, just like a paper check might. When time came to make the next purchase, there wasn't enough money left in their account to cover it.

But unlike a typical debit card that hasn't been signed up for overdraft protection, the Target card let the transaction go through. That triggered an insufficient funds fee of $30. A fee that Jamie feels is unfair.

Some credit experts find a debit card that can be overdrawn does not meet consumer expectations.

"I don't think most consumers would assume that they would be able to overdraw their debit card," says Barry Paperno, Credit.com's credit scoring expert.

According to a Target spokeswoman, a returned payment fee may be charged if there are insufficient funds in a guest's checking account when a purchase is made with a Target Debit Card. This fee is disclosed in the Target Debit Card agreement given to guests when they apply for the card.

Target 'debit card' transactions show up as ACH transfers.

Yea those are listed at "return" or "return payment fees" otherwise known as NSF (insufficient funds).

You won't be charged anything at all above your purchases assuming you have the money in the bank to back it up.

I have been using my red debit for a few months now with no issues.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014