• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Last night I picked up a pamphlet with a BP Driver Rewards Card. Looks like a pretty good deal, but still fuzzy on some details. Haven't used it yet, but just registered the card.
Looks like a typical Rewards card, but I can stack this with my old AMEX Blue Cash card for some pretty stellar Cash Back on something we all buy.

To me, it looks like you swipe this card for the discount, then swipe your payment.

Linky

drive. save. simple.
The BP Driver Rewards Program lets you earn rewards on your quality fuel purchases at BP. Simply request your complimentary card online or pick one up at your local BP station. Once you activate it online, swipe it at the pump to earn and redeem.
Participating Stations

With BP Driver Rewards:
Earn an instant reward of 10¢ per gallon upon registration.*
Earn 5¢ per gallon for every 20 gallons of fuel purchased.**
Earn on all grades of quality BP gasoline with Invigorate® and BP Diesel, too!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I always keep two cards registered.  Each time I fill up, I pick up a new card, use one of the ones I have registered, t... (more)

cpaynter (Sep. 15, 2013 @ 8:07a) |

That seems like the sort of abuse that ruins programs like this.

If you're gonna do it anyway, might as well do it effici... (more)

thc (Sep. 15, 2013 @ 10:33a) |

I also do. 25+ gallon tank. That one gets empty, I have another.

gobigorgohome (Sep. 15, 2013 @ 4:29p) |

Additional Info from the email I received:

Redeeming is even easier!
Swipe your BP Driver Rewards Card at the pump before fueling.
When prompted, select "Yes" to watch your gas price roll back. If you'd prefer to choose "No", your rewards will continue to accumulate, subject to the expiration of rewards.‡

*Single-use only. Valid up to 20 gallons. Any unused rewards on each purchase are forfeited. May not be valid with other offers. Rewards are redeemable only at participating BP locations with operable electronic transaction networks. See our Terms and Conditions for further details.

†Following a minimum of two transactions totaling 20 gallons.

‡Rewards expire after 90 days following the month in which rewards are earned.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I get 5% off (or about 20c per gallon) at stations that don't cover up spills with my Penfed Platinum card

The only issue I see is that I never go to BP - they are always overpriced around here!

Understandable. However, BP is typically lowest or second to lowest price on my way home.

In my town:

BP $3.39
No Name Station across the street: $3.26

tdc7 said:   I get 5% off (or about 20c per gallon) at stations that don't cover up spills with my Penfed Platinum card

The card Op is talking about is a rewards card, not a credit card. It stacks with the credit card Cash Back

Whether BP or any oil company is moral is another topic entirely.

Thanks OP, I'll keep my eyes open. The BP nearest me is overpriced, but I think there is another that is almost competitive.

"single use only" ? How many dollars is this topic worth, exactly?

Unfortunately, BPs in my town are overpriced by more than 5c / gallon

SinglePapa said:   "single use only" ? How many dollars is this topic worth, exactly?

the fine print reads:
* Rewards are redeemable for a one-time fill up to 20 gallons. Any unused rewards on each fuel purchase are forfeited.

Therefore, it seems at any one given time, the max discount you can get is up to 20 gallons. Which would work to a $1 if you get 20 gallons. Add that to any % you get back from you CC.

Every $ in Chicago counts. Gas here, regular is at $4.49!!!

Thanks OP

No California in the drop down menu when signing up. Does anyone else have this issue? The T&C's don't say anything about the program not being valid in CA.

The 2 BP's that I frequent (Northern Blvd & BQE, Northern Blvd & Glenwood) are usually cheaper than other stations in the area. They also charge the same price for cash or credit, while all the other stations charge at least .10/gallon more for credit.

BP/Arco does not take credit cards.

dpid said:   SinglePapa said:   "single use only" ? How many dollars is this topic worth, exactly?

the fine print reads:
* Rewards are redeemable for a one-time fill up to 20 gallons. Any unused rewards on each fuel purchase are forfeited.

Therefore, it seems at any one given time, the max discount you can get is up to 20 gallons. Which would work to a $1 if you get 20 gallons. Add that to any % you get back from you CC.

Every $ in Chicago counts. Gas here, regular is at $4.49!!!

My car fills up only 8 gallons max - so 40c savings only . That too BPs around here are atleast 15c more expensive than others.

On the bright side, my car gives 52 mpg on average, and saves lot of fuel money, and is also good for planet. Yes, i am proud owner of prius.

Who has a twenty gallon tank and drives around on empty?

For those in NJ, I presume if we use this card and then pay with a CC we will still get charged the CC rate (10c more)? So it still makes sense to buy BP gift cards and do it that way to get the cash price.

JaxFL said:   Who has a twenty gallon tank and drives around on empty? You should be able to fill up two cars off the same session. I've done that a few times with Kroger points (35gal limit).

Looks like a nice program that stacks with existing CB% CCs. Wish it success so a competitor may emulate it as there are no BPs not out of the way for me.

sloppy1 said:   BP/Arco does not take credit cards.

Huh? Where? I've been to numerous BP's and Arco's in various parts of the country. Never found one that doesn't take credit cards.

Chris.

cpaynter said:   sloppy1 said:   BP/Arco does not take credit cards.

Huh? Where? I've been to numerous BP's and Arco's in various parts of the country. Never found one that doesn't take credit cards.

Chris.

The Arcos in NorCal, at least the ones near me, do not take cc's.

This is a minor issue and easily circumvented since BP/Arco GC's can be purchased at safeway with cc's.

JaxFL said:   Who has a twenty gallon tank and drives around on empty?
20 gallons safely covers most cars, so the cap allows most everyone to "fill up" with their discounted gas. But they need to cap it somewhere, or someone would fill a line of cars on the same transaction or bring a tanker truck. If you want to ensure you get the full 20 gallons, bring a can with you...

It's not a great card, however, I've been using it for about 4 fillups now. Here's what I know.

Every 2 fill ups you earn .5 off, you can let it build up until I think you'd have to pay .10 a gallon for gas, discounts are good for 90 days and then they expire if not used. Everytime you scan the card it asks if you want to use your reward. The discount is applied directly at the pump, it actually changes the price on the pump to the discounted price. Yes it stacks with CB CC's like Penfed. The applied discount is good for 20 gallons. So bring your gas can and your empty car and fill them both.

It's not a great program but for me, I drive by 3 BP stations a day in 2 different towns so I can usually get gas cheapest at one of them.

Glitch99 said:   JaxFL said:   Who has a twenty gallon tank and drives around on empty?
20 gallons safely covers most cars, so the cap allows most everyone to "fill up" with their discounted gas. But they need to cap it somewhere, or someone would fill a line of cars on the same transaction or bring a tanker truck. If you want to ensure you get the full 20 gallons, bring a can with you...
sure, so the real savings is less than capped rate for most, unless you are gonna coordinate two vehicles to save an additional 50c, when other life obligations are of more importance. Unless its part of your date night to the local redbox, lol,....

Arcos near Seattle do take CC and there's no 35cents surcharge for debit card. However, none of them participate in this program. Suspect they are testing which system works better for them.

ETA: they do have higher price for "non-cash" payment. I always paid with GC which it treat as cash.

Glitch99 said:   JaxFL said:   Who has a twenty gallon tank and drives around on empty?

right, this program limits isn't any different from the one run by Jewel/Shell, where every $50 spent at Jewel gets you $0.05 savings at Shell, which is capped at 20 gallons.

newnorley said:   For those in NJ, I presume if we use this card and then pay with a CC we will still get charged the CC rate (10c more)? So it still makes sense to buy BP gift cards and do it that way to get the cash price.
Can you confirm that NJ stations give cash rate for gift cards? Didn't think that worked here.

Looks like there is no love for California. Wonder if I can get the card from some other states and use it in CA

I've been using this program for months (it was originally regional only). Use it with my PenFed card all the time. The BPs around here are either the cheapest, or second cheapest (only a penny more). They also give you free car washes with every 5th fill up. So typically I hit them up versus Shell or QT for the same price/one cent cheaper. Just a few notes:

1. Sometimes they have communication problems and the pump will tell you it cannot connect. Well, you won't earn rewards if the pump doesn't connect. You cannot retroactively get your purchase registered for this kind of a problem.

2. Don't turn around and walk away while waiting to answer the prompts. I actually at one point didn't want to use the reward since I was just topping off before starting a road trip. I turned around to throw away a paper towel, then unscrewed my cap, and missed the prompt altogether. So I got a few gallons discounted.

Neither is more than a nuisance, so it's a great program overall.

thanks op

I do.

BrianGa said:   newnorley said:   For those in NJ, I presume if we use this card and then pay with a CC we will still get charged the CC rate (10c more)? So it still makes sense to buy BP gift cards and do it that way to get the cash price.
Can you confirm that NJ stations give cash rate for gift cards? Didn't think that worked here.

I always get the cash rate for using gift cards at my local BP. The good thing is it's located right next to an Exxon, so it's always about on par with the other no name gas stations in the area.

JaxFL said:   Glitch99 said:   JaxFL said:   Who has a twenty gallon tank and drives around on empty?
sure, so the real savings is less than capped rate for most, unless you are gonna coordinate two vehicles to save an additional 50c, when other life obligations are of more importance. Unless its part of your date night to the local redbox, lol,....

So you'd rather they set the cap at 5 or 10 gallons, so that everyone can easily get the full value of the discount without infringing on their other obligations that are of more importance?

No love for Arco?

Not to thread crap, but in PA the My Sheetz Card and Nittany Minit Rewards Card both offer $0.03 off per gallon instant discount (also stackable with CC rewards). Your best case savings for with the BP program is $0.025 off per gallon (assuming you buy exactly 20 gallons of fuel in 2 transactions, and then buy 20 gallons with the $0.05 discount).

Glitch99 said:   JaxFL said:   Glitch99 said:   JaxFL said:   Who has a twenty gallon tank and drives around on empty?

So you'd rather they set the cap at 5 or 10 gallons, so that everyone can easily get the full value of the discount without infringing on their other obligations that are of more importance?

Id rather not discuss something that isn't my position. I said sure, which was not to refute anything you said. The gist of post is... just pointing out the real/actual savings - minimal. I personally don't see much to get excited about with this program, unless you are a reg customer and its convenient.

While the savings may be minimal, it consists of simply swiping your rewards card before swiping your payment card. So basically, I see this a no-downside program with only a little work involved (about the same as a supermarket's reward card). This won't make me choose BP over someone else because of this program by itself, but if the station is rightly priced and on your route (no detour needed), then why not. That's the approach I've taken.

r we downhill in Finance? realize we already have 35 posts in a $1 topic?

freeka said:   No love for Arco?

No love.

Drive a full tank with Arco, note the miles driven.
Proceed to drive a full tank with anything else, note the miles driven.

In my experiment, I got noticeably less miles with Arco's gas.

SinglePapa said:   r we downhill in Finance? realize we already have 35 posts in a $1 topic? Exactly. It's only $1 saved on a 20 gallon purchase.

SSi said:   freeka said:   No love for Arco?

No love.

Drive a full tank with Arco, note the miles driven.
Proceed to drive a full tank with anything else, note the miles driven.

In my experiment, I got noticeably less miles with Arco's gas.

Wonder if I can use the card at Arco stations.

Skipping 12 Messages...
dollarshort said:   

I do.

I also do. 25+ gallon tank. That one gets empty, I have another.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014