• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
BWitherisco said:   SSi said:   freeka said:   No love for Arco?

No love.

Drive a full tank with Arco, note the miles driven.
Proceed to drive a full tank with anything else, note the miles driven.

In my experiment, I got noticeably less miles with Arco's gas.

Wonder if I can use the card at Arco stations.
No, BP branded stations only and only those specified doing a search from the website.

IMO, too much trouble for a few pennies.

dollarshort said:   BrianGa said:   newnorley said:   For those in NJ, I presume if we use this card and then pay with a CC we will still get charged the CC rate (10c more)? So it still makes sense to buy BP gift cards and do it that way to get the cash price.
Can you confirm that NJ stations give cash rate for gift cards? Didn't think that worked here.

I always get the cash rate for using gift cards at my local BP. The good thing is it's located right next to an Exxon, so it's always about on par with the other no name gas stations in the area.

Me too in Northen NJ and BP is the cheapest for me, unless the people who sleep at the Samaritans accost me while ithere as sometimes happens.

Unfortunately in Michigan, 5 cents per gallon is nothing in the grand scheme of things (currently 4.08/gal, was 4.29 last week). We can get a 20-30 cent swing from week to week, so if prices are falling, you actually lose money by filling up with the 20 gallons required for this program. It's all a big game here in Michigan.

You are right Shampoo. I commute between KY and MI each week for my job and the difference is amazing. At the price peak a week or two ago, regular was going for as high as $4.45 / gallon northwest of Detroit while central KY was at $3.49 / gallon. Good thing my car has a large tank, I can avoid filling up in Michigan.

Many stations charge extra if not using BP, shell. etc cards and try to use MC, Visa, Discover, etc. To get around this, simply buy BP or Shell gift cards at CVS, grocery stores, Office Depot, or anywhere they are available. These stores will take your credit card without a fee and then use this gas card to get cash price at the gas station and still get the driver rewards at BP or Winn Dixie rewards at Shell, plus the rewards on your credit card.
Doing this has 3 benefits- airline miles or ?? on your CC, cash price at gas station & special pricing at the pump.It works for me

Well every time you reach the 20 gallons using the card and at least two transactions you'd get the .05 cents. So if you stack and hit No at the pump and drive say over 10 miles a day to work and fill up everyday. You would earn the .05 cents every other day. Or .75 cents off per gallon a month. If you redeem at the end of every month that is $15 discount. Of course it varies based on the size of your tank, and price of BP in your area. Also if you have like a small business and use a lot of gas it can add up quickly.
-My two cents, won't work for every one, but doesn't negate the fact it works for others.

Well every time you reach the 20 gallons using the card and at least two transactions you'd get the .05 cents. So if you stack and hit No at the pump and drive say over 10 miles a day to work and fill up everyday. You would earn the .05 cents every other day. Or .75 cents off per gallon a month. If you redeem at the end of every month that is $15 discount. Of course it varies based on the size of your tank, and price of BP in your area. Also if you have like a small business and use a lot of gas it can add up quickly.
-My two cents, won't work for every one, but doesn't negate the fact it works for others.

Does it require an activation first, or I can just pick it up at the gas station, swipe, and get 10c/gallon off the first time? If so, then I would get a bunch of those and swipe a new card every time

Requires activation/email address. However, it doesn't send any confirmation to the email. Technically, you could pick up a bunch, register them to nonexistent emails, and off to the pumps for .10/gallon discount.

rlshoemake87 said:   Requires activation/email address. However, it doesn't send any confirmation to the email. Technically, you could pick up a bunch, register them to nonexistent emails, and off to the pumps for .10/gallon discount.
I always keep two cards registered.  Each time I fill up, I pick up a new card, use one of the ones I have registered, toss it, then register the new one after I get home.  I'm up to nonexistent email address #12.  

Chris.

cpaynter said:   
rlshoemake87 said:   Requires activation/email address. However, it doesn't send any confirmation to the email. Technically, you could pick up a bunch, register them to nonexistent emails, and off to the pumps for .10/gallon discount.
I always keep two cards registered.  Each time I fill up, I pick up a new card, use one of the ones I have registered, toss it, then register the new one after I get home.  I'm up to nonexistent email address #12.  

Chris.

That seems like the sort of abuse that ruins programs like this.

If you're gonna do it anyway, might as well do it efficiently. Use automatic disposable addresses that you create on the fly.
http://lifehacker.com/144397/instant-disposable-gmail-addresses
http://techland.time.com/2011/02/04/bring-it-spam-hotmail-rolls-...
http://spamgourmet.com/
...etc...

dollarshort said:   
JaxFL said:   Who has a twenty gallon tank and drives around on empty?

I do.

I also do. 25+ gallon tank. That one gets empty, I have another.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014