• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have question about the AMEX platinum card. I currently have an AMEX gold rewards card that I like but it's missing some things I want like the travel benefits and no foreign transaction fee.

I'm debating right now whether to cancel my card and wait 3 months (90 days) so I can try to get one of these 50k bonus points when signing up for a platinum or should I just take the upgrade and get 25k points?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or has anyone done this before?

Member Summary

I was able to get the full platinum bonus (100k at the time) without cancelling my old card... the restriction is (or at least used to be) that could couldn't have an equivalent or higher level card and still get the bonus. On upgrades, the full bonus was given.

I'd send a secure message to them and ask the question.

Try a more descriptive title next time OP. Like:

Have AMEX PRG & Want Platinun, How Do I Get The Signup Bonus?

I just went through this process a few weeks ago. I had the PRG card and was looking to upgrade to platinum. When I called AMEX they said they could upgrade with no problems, but I wouldn't be eligible for any bonus points. This was end of may, so their promotions may have changed since then.

I decided it was better to cancel the PRG and apply for a business platinum (50,000 pts after $5000/3 months), as the time/similar product exclusions for point eligibility don't seem to apply between business and personal cards (According to the AMEX rep I spoke to).

Also worth noting that their retention dept. made several offers to keep me on the PRG, culminating in 17,500 MR points after $500 spend. If you don't mind two annual fees, there's no reason why you can't keep the gold personal and business platinum to reap the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the responses! I've updated my title to be more descriptive (per stanolshefski). So it sounds like the deal they offered for 25k bonus points isn't too bad. I really don't need the overlap of both cards, I'm just hoping to be able to use all the benefits of the platinum card

So 25k for upgrading is targeted? AFAIK, there is no public bonus for upgrading consumer gold

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014