• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
CraftyCraft said:   I have five cards with a total CL of $24,750.Now to my question- how do many of the members here achieve such high credit limits?
These are not really high limits.

BlkSnday said:   I have cards with limit 50k, 35k, .. all over 10k. Credit scores closed to 800. But Barclay only give me 2k credit line.

That probably explains it actually. If you end up using the Barclays card for everyday spending it won't take them long to match credit limits.

You need to find lenders that will let you combine credit limits.

Here's how I did it:

I got a card with Navy - they maxed me at 10k. I got a 2nd card with Navy 6 months later, and got another 10k. I asked if I could combine cards and close the 2nd card. Sure. Now I have a 20k card. I ask for a CLI and get 25k. I apply with Navy to get a 3rd card. Get 25k. Again, combine cards and close one of them. Now I have a 50k card.

Now everyone looks at my credit report and goes.. hot damn, he has a 50k card! So I apply for a Penfed card, and get a 40k card.

Now I apply for Chase, and they see I have a 40k Penfed card and a 50k Navy card, and they give me a 30k card..

SIS is right - they like to see higher limits. Start consolidating your cards to show 1 or 2 high limit cards.

Don't feel too bad, my Barclays credit limit is like $500...all my other limits are $15k-20k+.

Horseymen said:   You need to find lenders that will let you combine credit limits.

Here's how I did it:

I got a card with Navy - they maxed me at 10k. I got a 2nd card with Navy 6 months later, and got another 10k. I asked if I could combine cards and close the 2nd card. Sure. Now I have a 20k card. I ask for a CLI and get 25k. I apply with Navy to get a 3rd card. Get 25k. Again, combine cards and close one of them. Now I have a 50k card.

Now everyone looks at my credit report and goes.. hot damn, he has a 50k card! So I apply for a Penfed card, and get a 40k card.

Now I apply for Chase, and they see I have a 40k Penfed card and a 50k Navy card, and they give me a 30k card..

SIS is right - they like to see higher limits. Start consolidating your cards to show 1 or 2 high limit cards.

This is excellent! I'll do some research on which lenders still allow reallocation of credit lines. Thanks for the information.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014