Car sales tax in NYC and NH

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello,

I have two houses one in NYC and one in NH. We spend about 30% of time in NH and I am looking to buy a second car for use mostly in NH. I have also NY State driver license. Ultimately our plan is to leave NYC and move to NH (or maybe buy another house in Boston) over the next two years. If I buy and register a car in NYC then I have to pay almost 9% tax and then if we were to move to NH we will have to pay a yearly excise tax that could add up to as much as 9% of car value over time as well. Can I buy and register the new car in NH instead even with NY driver license? Do I still have to pay a NYC/state tax if a year or two from now we change our mind, stay in NYC and decide to register the car in NYS. Thank you very much for any advice.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I believe every state is going to charge you tax based on your residence. NH is not going to let you register a car if your DL says you live in NY. If you move, you will have to re-register the car in your new location.

The above post is not correct. NH will be more than happy to register your car. If your car will be garaged in NH, that is the legal way to do it. This is very common, lots of MA residents have vacation homes in NH and keep a dedicated car there. The car should be registered where it is garaged.

However, if you have a legal residence in NY, do not bring your NH registered car into NY or you will be considered a tax evader.

After a period of time, you can move an already owned car into NY and register it there without paying sales tax. Check with the state for that ownership time, likely 6 or 12 months. (6 months for MA, for example).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014