• 178910 11
  • Page
  • Text Only
If you punch a clock avoid the early punch out- 15 minutes lost for leaving a few minutes early adds up fast- $40/hr out early 3x per week is $120 a month of lost income.

kranky said:   
Venturion said:   now/not, what a world of difference one word makes.
So true!

That was the core of one of the legendary stories in a company where I used to work.  A project manager got reassigned from Project A to Project B. Project A's customer was very upset and wrote a letter to the CEO essentially demanding that the PM (let's call him John Smith) be put back on his multi-million dollar Project A. The CEO wrote a reply, pointing out how important the customer was to the company and how the CEO wanted the customer to be happy... and closed with:

"So to illustrate how much we value your company's business, I want to inform you that John Smith will not be reassigned to your project."

The CEO was baffled when the customer then called him and screamed bloody murder. It was apparently an entertaining conversation until the CEO realized what the letter actually said.  He intended to write "...will now be reassigned..."

whenever my company hires someone new, as a reading comprehension test i give them a copy of an actual letter that was sent by another company to a new client. it has a single, mind-boggling typo (hint:  the word "assisting" does not have an "f"). sloppy work, and the belief that proofreading is someone else's job, can easily cost you your own.

crabbing said:   
kranky said:   
Venturion said:   now/not, what a world of difference one word makes.
So true!

That was the core of one of the legendary stories in a company where I used to work.  A project manager got reassigned from Project A to Project B. Project A's customer was very upset and wrote a letter to the CEO essentially demanding that the PM (let's call him John Smith) be put back on his multi-million dollar Project A. The CEO wrote a reply, pointing out how important the customer was to the company and how the CEO wanted the customer to be happy... and closed with:

"So to illustrate how much we value your company's business, I want to inform you that John Smith will not be reassigned to your project."

The CEO was baffled when the customer then called him and screamed bloody murder. It was apparently an entertaining conversation until the CEO realized what the letter actually said.  He intended to write "...will now be reassigned..."

whenever my company hires someone new, as a reading comprehension test i give them a copy of an actual letter that was sent by another company to a new client. it has a single, mind-boggling typo (hint:  the word "assisting" does not have an "f"). sloppy work, and the belief that proofreading is someone else's job, can easily cost you your own.

Wow. Maybe they added it to their spell check dictionary? That is ugly...

Also, be careful of your own body language when you ask them to read this. Don't want to give anyone the wrong idea...

TheDragonn said:   
DShelbyJr said:   Learn to coupon. I walk out of CVS pretty regularly with $300+ worth (CVS inflates items big time, but still $200+ at Wal-Mart) of personal care, paper goods, and cleaning supplies for next to nothing. I can't remember the last time I paid for razors, shampoo, deodorant, cleaning supplies, etc. It saves me a ton of money each year. I've already saved over $10,000 this year doing this (of course I do sell a lot of things I buy - average an extra $500-800/month of extra income).

Care to help a n00b out with a quick piece of advice? I hate spending $4 on deodorant. Where does one dig up these coupons? Just hit the googles?

You could make your own deodorant (my daughter does) for pennies..... http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2012/12/diy-coconut-oil-deodo...
you can even buy empty glide on things to put the homebrew in on Amazon..... As for me, I buy it on sale or Costco....

firecrackernumber2 said:   If you punch a clock avoid the early punch out- 15 minutes lost for leaving a few minutes early adds up fast- $40/hr out early 3x per week is $120 a month of lost income.

If you punch a clock, work towards a job where you don't. I'd suggest starting with a writing course, followed quickly by a math course.

Or maybe I need a reading comprehension class.

Take free (or almost free) defensive driving class every three years - 10% off car insurance.

torch your (fully insured) house every 5 years. this will save you a lot of money on repairs.

Conserve water by showering with friends and neighbors.

^THAT may have an added benefit

roboian said:   

Or cost you a LOT more for the next 18-25 years....

Chrisk327 said:   
roboian said:   

Or cost you a LOT more for the next 18-25 years....

LOL. It was convered under earlier post that advocated safety

cpaynter said:   
aznshadoboy77 said:   
king0fSpades said:   
US1549 said:   Bag lunch to work. Cost of a ham sandwich $2 VS. going out of $5-7

Ham sandwich? Why are we even living? How about become homeless or suicide? If a person cannot enjoy a decent lunch what is the purpose of life? Should look into getting a better career.

Lets do the math, 22 days of work/month, saving just $1300 per year and eating crap for whole year and rest of your life? This is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion. I never did this in my life did this and I turned out OK.

I agree, $2 ham sandwich is a bit extreme, but you can definitely save money by making meals at home vs. going out to eat.

Actually, my Target for lunch is $1. Seriously. Can of soup on sale $.99. Frozen dinner on sale $.89. Ramen noodles 6/$1, $.17. Occasionally I'll splurge for McDonald's: $1 burger + tax = $1.08. $2 ham sandwich would be exorbitant for me.

Chris.

Wait until you have to spend all of your retirement funds on healthcare... eating like that.  Eat some quality foods, like good vegetables, meat that isn't bathed in chemicals and from an animal that is given hormones and crap to speed up its growth.  I don't eat healthy all of the time, but eating like that every day isn't a good thing.  Bake a turkey breast on Sunday evening and use it for sandwiches throughout the week, instead of processed lunch meat... or a nice honey baked ham (not in a lunch meat package).  If it comes pre-sliced into deli meat, it is highly unlikely that isn't ground up flesh product with other filler in it.  If you want to save more, buy the meat when its on sale, compound it with a coupon, etc.

Generally, when it isn't 20F to -20F (or more) outside, I will smoke something like a brisket, corned beef brisket (delicious.. like corned beef and pastrami combined), pork shoulder, or a whole chicken(s) or turkey.  Then I have some for lunch and even a dinner or two for the whole family.

If you want to eat like a college dorm kid your whole life, by all means, but I can't imagine it will pay off in the long run.

Dus10 said:   
cpaynter said:   
aznshadoboy77 said:   
king0fSpades said:   
US1549 said:   Bag lunch to work. Cost of a ham sandwich $2 VS. going out of $5-7

Ham sandwich? Why are we even living? How about become homeless or suicide? If a person cannot enjoy a decent lunch what is the purpose of life? Should look into getting a better career.

Lets do the math, 22 days of work/month, saving just $1300 per year and eating crap for whole year and rest of your life? This is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion. I never did this in my life did this and I turned out OK.

I agree, $2 ham sandwich is a bit extreme, but you can definitely save money by making meals at home vs. going out to eat.

Actually, my Target for lunch is $1. Seriously. Can of soup on sale $.99. Frozen dinner on sale $.89. Ramen noodles 6/$1, $.17. Occasionally I'll splurge for McDonald's: $1 burger + tax = $1.08. $2 ham sandwich would be exorbitant for me.

Chris.

Wait until you have to spend all of your retirement funds on healthcare... eating like that.  Eat some quality foods, like good vegetables, meat that isn't bathed in chemicals and from an animal that is given hormones and crap to speed up its growth.  I don't eat healthy all of the time, but eating like that every day isn't a good thing.  Bake a turkey breast on Sunday evening and use it for sandwiches throughout the week, instead of processed lunch meat... or a nice honey baked ham (not in a lunch meat package).  If it comes pre-sliced into deli meat, it is highly unlikely that isn't ground up flesh product with other filler in it.  If you want to save more, buy the meat when its on sale, compound it with a coupon, etc.

Generally, when it isn't 20F to -20F (or more) outside, I will smoke something like a brisket, corned beef brisket (delicious.. like corned beef and pastrami combined), pork shoulder, or a whole chicken(s) or turkey.  Then I have some for lunch and even a dinner or two for the whole family.

If you want to eat like a college dorm kid your whole life, by all means, but I can't imagine it will pay off in the long run.

If you're cooking a pork shoulder, you're eating for a month!

Dunno if Reddit links are frowned upon (and sorry for resurrecting this thread), but there're a lot of good recipes here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EatCheapAndHealthy/

Chris.  

You must weigh like 100lbs. One burger from McDonalds or a can of soup... You could at least gone with a half loaf of bread or something...

rufflesinc said:     When eating out with SO, order one soda (free refills) and one water. 

Bonus points: do it on a first date.

Don't drink soda at all.  Not only is it extremely overpriced at restaurants, but it is ruinously bad for your health.

Threads like this generally contain some good ideas, mostly common sense, then as you think about someone who may live by most of these rules... no pets, no alcohol, no dining out, never have kids, cheap ham sandwich for lunch, never buy a new car, .... you laugh at how ridiculous it sounds.

My tip - Live in moderation.

cook more and negotiate on everything.

Can eat more ham sandwiches be the new FW slogan? Maybe for blackfriday?

jagec said:   
  Don't drink soda at all.  Not only is it extremely overpriced at restaurants, but it is ruinously bad for your health.

Proof of this claim relative to diet soda?

tuphat said:   
jagec said:   

Proof of this claim relative to diet soda?

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2013/Q3/prof-diet-drinks... 

This is for the health claims.  As for the price, usually diet and regular sodas cost the same.

Run everything through the system twice to extract more of the nutrients/calories.

evercl92 said:   
valueinvestor said:   
wwdme said:   put a brick in your toilet and pee twice, flush once

Wait, won't poo get stuck to the brick? I don't want a poo-covered brick in my toilet just to save $3 a month on my water bill!

No, no, you're missing the point.  You drop the poo brick in a bag at the end of a month and put it on e-bay as a "bag of crap".  I put the words, "a big surprise in every bag!!!" in the description and make good money every month.  Woot does the same thing.  I think some people are just speculating - but some are repeat customers and buying a gift for that special boss or other person in their life.  If you learn to use the brick right you can go even cheaper than 1 ply too.

JonnyRock said:   
larrymoencurly said:   Don't tip excessively at strip clubs. You won't get anything extra by doing that anyway.
Tip in one dollar bills, folded so number is not visable.
They will remember who gave them more bills, not who gave them larger denominations,

You could go 1/2 a buck at a time if you fold well.  As long as you tip them the other half they can tape them back together.  Not only do you save .50 cents you can slip it into a tight place a bit easier.  

RobInBoston said:   Threads like this generally contain some good ideas, mostly common sense, then as you think about someone who may live by most of these rules... no pets, no alcohol, no dining out, never have kids, cheap ham sandwich for lunch, never buy a new car, .... you laugh at how ridiculous it sounds.

My tip - Live in moderation.

I think it's about prioritizing. Giving up any of these means you're closer -- even if just slightly -- to something you're really passionate about

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014