• 123 4 511
  • Page
  • Text Only
Borrow WiFi -Pirate bay, free Netlflix trial every month...

quit smoking: 1. cigarettes ain't cheap, 2. tobacco taxes are high and generally climbing, 3. extra health care and health insurance costs are a certainty.
That doesn't even include better quality of life- which is priceless.

Switch to 1-ply... nahhh

Plant a garden to supplement your grocery expenses each month. That way you can have tomatoes when some industry made disaster runs up the price.

Get off your A$$ and get a job!

* Get the RIGHT Credit card (One that pays you CASH not points). I use a Costco AMEX. There are others just as good.
* UNDERSTAND how your card works.
* DO NOT carry a balance / PAY YOUR BILL IN FULL every month.

* Invest; Don't speculate (gamble) on stocks unless you are an educated and trained professional and ready to lose what you put in.
* Invest on a so-called "Forced Savings" plan you set up for yourself. i.e. payroll deduction where you pay yourself before you pay anyone else.
* Don't dip into your investment account for "important" stuff like cars, a bigger house, a house instead of an apartment, Big Screen TV, etc. If you can't dip into your wallet to pay off that credit card in full next month, then you can't afford whatever it is you're interested in buying.

* Debt is a tool, and it can be your friend if used responsibly, but most people really don't understand it and are often overwhelmed when their past decisions come home to roost. Treat debt like you would a loaded handgun.

jd2010 said:   The markets are rigged, don't try to daytrade.

Or learn to play the rig

Don't buy Louis V luggage or other so called "high end" luggage

I know a girl that paid 4k for a simple roll on carryon size, I have no idea why.

put a brick in your toilet and pee twice, flush once

drblevins said:   
Cut your internet service along with cable and talk with neighbor to wi-fi share.

Careful. Who knows what your neighbor will do with your data?

I would never tell anyone how to save money. How someone spends their money is none of my business. If anyone wants to go into debt, which turns their home into a short-sale/foreclosure, then I'll be there to 'help' aka help myself. One person's debt is another's opportunity. Mind your damn bizness unless you're making $$$ on it.

wizwor said:   This afternoon, my wife walked in carrying two bags of groceries, "Guess how much I saved!"

"More than I can afford?"

kenyanboy said:   I would never tell anyone how to save money. How someone spends their money is none of my business. If anyone wants to go into debt, which turns their home into a short-sale/foreclosure, then I'll be there to 'help' aka help myself. One person's debt is another's opportunity. Mind your damn bizness unless you're making $$$ on it.
I'm pretty sure OP asked for suggestions. If you have nothing to contribute, move along.

wwdme said:   put a brick in your toilet and pee twice, flush once

Wait, won't poo get stuck to the brick? I don't want a poo-covered brick in my toilet just to save $3 a month on my water bill!

valueinvestor said:   wwdme said:   put a brick in your toilet and pee twice, flush once

Wait, won't poo get stuck to the brick? I don't want a poo-covered brick in my toilet just to save $3 a month on my water bill!

The brick would be placed in the holding tank at the back of the toilet - excrement goes down the drain, not into the holding tank.

Lots of good suggestions here.

Here's another one that I just thought of. Drive at max 65 mph. The savings due to better gas mileage would add up nicely.

Full disclosure: I drive at 80MPH most of the time while while going to or coming back from work

KayK said:   Here's another one that I just thought of. Drive at max 65 mph. The savings due to better gas mileage would add up nicely.
While I agree with the gas savings, if you are going to do this, please, please, please, do not drive on the left lane(s) --- even if the posted limit is 65.

Don't tip excessively at strip clubs. You won't get anything extra by doing that anyway.

buy GCs at discount and use them for your regular shopping. works best for shopping online.

evercl92 said:   valueinvestor said:   wwdme said:   put a brick in your toilet and pee twice, flush once

The brick would be placed in the holding tank at the back of the toilet - excrement goes down the drain, not into the holding tank.

I was thinking that the "brick" was a metaphor for poop here. So my understanding was "go poop, then pee, and pee again. then you may flush, but only once."

Very confusing.

Now it seems like you want me to commit to upper decker's for whenever the occasion arises?

ETA: Oh, and for those of you who haven't been exposed.. An upper decker.

bopc1996 said:   Stop paying alimonyStart paying contempt of court fines?

Has anyone seen the show 'Cheapskates' on TLC? They put the FW community to shame.

No, but seriously, take care of your teeth. Flossing and brushing is great for your oral hygiene, appearance, and I would think that dentures are less comfortable than real teeth.

iLoveTahoe said:   Buy (and use) a Waterpik.Flossing seems to remove more bacteria, and my current dentist and the dentist I had as a kid did not like Waterpiks because they drive bacteria in the gums into the bloodstream, and that can damage heart valves.

2cheapforU said:   Plant a garden to supplement your grocery expenses each month. That way you can have tomatoes when some industry made disaster runs up the price.I thought most supermarket tomatoes were industry made disasters.

larrymoencurly said:   Don't tip excessively at strip clubs. You won't get anything extra by doing that anyway.

We totally need a FWF guide to that. SiS can write the AMP section!!!

king0fSpades said:   US1549 said:   Bag lunch to work. Cost of a ham sandwich $2 VS. going out of $5-7

Ham sandwich? Why are we even living? How about become homeless or suicide? If a person cannot enjoy a decent lunch what is the purpose of life? Should look into getting a better career.

Lets do the math, 22 days of work/month, saving just $1300 per year and eating crap for whole year and rest of your life? This is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion. I never did this in my life did this and I turned out OK.

Well shucks. I take PB&J to work nearly every day. You can already see that I did not turn out OK.

gordoco said:   When you get a raise, put most or all of it into savings rather than increasing spending.

And when you get a bonus, put all of it into your traditional/roth 401k (as long as you won't go over maximum contributions for the year). It's a bonus, you shouldn't be expecting that when you budget. When you are young, doing this will let it compound faster without affecting your lifestyle. It will be hard as you get older, married and have kids.

H OR B - not both.

No reason to go with expensive phone contracts when you have so many options such as $45 Straight Talk, $40 Simple Mobile or $30 T-Mobile monthly 4G. Buy refills separately from callingmart.com and other stores to avoid paying regulatory fees and at discounted rate vs. auto-refill from prepaid service provider.

Obihai OBI110 VoIP + Google Voice for home phone = $0/month.

Krazen1211 said:   drblevins said:   
Cut your internet service along with cable and talk with neighbor to wi-fi share.

Careful. Who knows what your neighbor will do with your data?

That's what a VPN or Tor is for.

2cheapforU said:   Plant a garden

If you smoke, grow your own tobacco to avoid "sin taxes."

If you live in a hot climate, paint the roof white or install an attic fan to reduce the need for cooling. Put foil over windows that receive too much sun, or fit them with awnings.

In cold weather, use sweaters, a heating pad or an electric blanket instead of heating a whole room or building.

If you shoot often, get a reloading kit.

Keep a fire extinguisher by the stove and carry one when traveling by car. If you smoke, keep extinguishers in the living room and bedroom too.

Avoid Rent-a-center; instead use Freecycle or Craigslist, or drive around on "big trash day", to find used furniture and appliances.

The interest rate for underpaid income tax is often less than for other debts.

If you live near a public library, get a library card and a Wi-fi panel antenna. The antenna may allow you to use the library's wireless service even off the library's premises. Even if you can't, the books, music and videos are an inexpensive source of entertainment and education.

Conserve water by showering with friends and neighbors.

When police come to the door, do not admit them unless they have a search warrant.

Instead of buying bottled water, get a water filter and a durable bottle.

Boost gas mileage by not carrying excess weight in the car, for example snow chains in summer.

Buy gasoline early in the morning: it is sold by volume, and will be coolest and densest at that time of day.

Keep your billfold or wallet on a chain or shoelace to avoid loss or theft.

Oh wait, that's more than one.

Stay away from big box stores like wal mart. Always end buying more than originally wanted to.

cut water bills significantly - brush teeth w/o running water. shave with sink fill instead of running water. shower faster with efficient heads. efficient toilet. fill dishwasher/washing machine before running. rain sensor for lawn watering.

2cheapforU said:   Plant a garden to supplement your grocery expenses each month. That way you can have tomatoes when some industry made disaster runs up the price.

I would have to disagree. Depending on your location, this may cost more than just purchasing produce at the store when you add in opportunity cost for time spent gardening, weeding, watering, etc..

I love to garden and grow one every year for the quality taste of the produce. If you have never had a home grown peach or tomato then you do not know the how good they are. I refuse to buy tomatoes at the store due to poor taste/texture.

The one item I would add is to build up an emergency fund and then not live paycheck to paycheck. Don't buy things unless you can afford to pay for it at that point in time. The one exception being a home for your family.

Understand the power of compounding, rest will come as second nature.

suderduperloo00p said:   Stay away from big box stores like wal mart. Always end buying more than originally wanted to.
Learn self control. I buy the least at Wal-Mart, the most at ALDI, since they have better prices on most the items I purchase regularly.

filmy said:   

Conserve water by showering with friends and neighbors.

I was totally with you until I saw that one, lol.

Thrift stores
1)entertainment value
2) if you go to the right ones, you can get dress clothes donated by people who write off new suits, etc annually
3) can find rare/ valuable stuff if you have a market for them

Craigslist

Take Ads of Aldi, Kroger or whatever grocery store you have in your area to WalMart and price match what's on sale in the other stores. Get a newspaper subscription when it is a promotion so you have a collection of Ads. Keep then in your car. Repeat Everyweek and save $$$.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014