• 12 3 4511
  • Page
  • Text Only
Buy quality and buy less. You'll use it and enjoy it.

Vanguard index funds. From my experiences, people need to watch out for fees in your retirement account (e.g., 401(k)). I'd recommend learning about Vanguard & how broad based index funds might fit your goals. Depending on your situation, your savings might be in the tens of thousands over your lifetime. If you are interested, Google "frontline the retirement gamble," watch the PBS show and pay close attention to what Jack Bogle says.

do car pooling or try WFH if possible for a few days

pay off mortgage qquickly

Drink water, at least when you're eating out. Not only is it the healthiest option, but $2 sodas, $4 beers, and diabetes medication adds up quick.

StevenColorado said:   Cars should be cheap, reliable transportation, not personal statements.

Probably one of the best posts on here.

Now there are ways to drive a relatively nice vehicle for not much expense, but the point is that $500 lease payments and new cars at $30k are not very reasonable expenditures.

king0fSpades said:   US1549 said:   Bag lunch to work. Cost of a ham sandwich $2 VS. going out of $5-7

Ham sandwich? Why are we even living? How about become homeless or suicide? If a person cannot enjoy a decent lunch what is the purpose of life? Should look into getting a better career.

Lets do the math, 22 days of work/month, saving just $1300 per year and eating crap for whole year and rest of your life? This is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion. I never did this in my life did this and I turned out OK.

Turned out ok? I bet your wife and kids would disagree.

Avoid Movie Theatres and get Netflix.

US1549 said:   Bag lunch to work. Cost of a ham sandwich $2 VS. going out of $5-7

Downtown (Soma actually) SF, it's more like $7-10.

Maintain great credit and sign up for credit cards with airline mileage bonuses.

In the last two years it's paid for the following for me and my friends:
2 round trips Asia/Middle East (Biz class)
1.5 round trips Asia/USA (Biz class)
3.5 round trips Asia/USA (Economy)

I estimate that conservatively at $10,000+.

$10/day saved from a change you make lasts you the rest of your life. (cheaper car, bringing lunch, prepaid cell, etc)
$10/day extra earned lasts you only while you work.
The less you spend - the less time you need to work.

I prefer to live longer then I work so #1 is more valuable.

Just wanted to add, marry wisely, if at all.

Buy (and use) a Waterpik.

Learn Mass/Crowd Phsychology

cpaynter said:   
Actually, my target for lunch is $1. Seriously. Can of soup on sale $.99. Frozen dinner on sale $.89. Ramen noodles 6/$1, $.17. Occasionally I'll splurge for McDonald's: $1 burger + tax = $1.08. $2 ham sandwich would be exorbitant for me.

Chris.

Check your sodium intake. My blood pressure went up just from reading that list of yours! It's possible that you're not saving this money for yourself, but for your future cardiologist and/or neurologist

JMar99 said:   Drink water, at least when you're eating out. Not only is it the healthiest option, but $2 sodas, $4 beers, and diabetes medication adds up quick.That's $2.50 sodas and $5 beers after tax & tip

say no to drug, alcohol and cigarette.

unimeg said:   Find a bank account that doesn't nickle & dime you with fees.

Or more importantly, be certain to avoid whatever it is that triggers such fees.

StevenColorado said:   Cars should be cheap, reliable transportation, not personal statements.
Same could be said for houses....

don't look at your neighbor's lifestyle

pay credit card bills weekly (use bank/cu free bill-pay), saves money on interest and less likely to have late fees.

AcidSpectrum said:   pay credit card bills weekly (use bank/cu free bill-pay), saves money on interest and less likely to have late fees.

It only saves on interest if you are carrying a balance and paying interest. Otherwise, monthly is perfectly fine. Just focus on your statement date, not your due date (pay the bill when you get it, not when its due).

KayK said:   What is the one simple change (just one) that you could tell people to make in order to save them $$$
Learn to enjoy saving money. If cutting costs makes you feel deprived, you will not stick with it. We went to Disney this spring. The entire vacation was paid for with savings from switching from Comcast to an antenna. Every night at dinner, we toasted Comcast. It's fun to save money.

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com

This afternoon, my wife walked in carrying two bags of groceries, "Guess how much I saved!"

People are best at the things they enjoy. If you want to save money, make it a game and celebrate every single win.

Download free music. There is an unbelievable amount of legitimate ROIO's (recordings of indeterminate origin) out there of your favorite artists. These are usually recordings of live shows of bands that do not care if they are exchanged, they just don't want money exchanged for them. Examples of sites: Soundaboard, Nugs.net, etc. I personally do not like audience recordings, but that's just me. I also like the highest bit rates I can get - mp3's at 320 or FLAC files.
Wolfgang's Vault is also a good source. Join and you get 2 free shows a week, their choice, and $5.00 downloads.

shit at work...

Dont Gamble

air dry laundry if you can...

Run heat at 65 or less in winter and air at 78 in summer.... (depends on where you live)
(Or none at all if you have a coat or like to sit around naked)

Cut your internet service along with cable and talk with neighbor to wi-fi share.

Only get/drive reliable older cars that are relatively fuel efficient (V4 Camry, accord, civic) and carry only liability insurance.

Change your own oil and brakes on your car.

Contribute to HSA

Crown Vic....

Negotiate. Lots.

Call your cable/internet company once a year and see what discounts you can get. (Assuming you don't want to cut the cord.) Sometimes works for phone or utilities too.

More importantly, if you rent, ALWAYS negotiate any lease renewal. Every year, my management company sends out a renewal that's roughly a 5% increase. Usually I get them down to about 1-2% for barely any effort, just a few phone calls. (In 2009, I actually got a decrease of over 10%.) Overall, this has saved me multiple thousands, easily.

Make more money

racket1976 said:   no contracts for phones
ooma and prepaid

I would also add google voice on your no contract phone, with a default to VOIP/wifi for when you're home.

Don't buy lottery tickets; savings go toward H&B.

Mostly for the young folks:

Get a credit card.

When you get a raise, put most or all of it into savings rather than increasing spending.

Don't get your financial advice from Internet message boards

king0fSpades said:   US1549 said:   Bag lunch to work. Cost of a ham sandwich $2 VS. going out of $5-7

Ham sandwich? Why are we even living? How about become homeless or suicide? If a person cannot enjoy a decent lunch what is the purpose of life? Should look into getting a better career.

Lets do the math, 22 days of work/month, saving just $1300 per year and eating crap for whole year and rest of your life? This is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion. I never did this in my life did this and I turned out OK.

Because that $1,300 per year at 10% interest rate for 40 years is around $800K.

$800K is the difference between someone's financial life turning out "OK" like yours, or GREAT like KingofSpades' probably will.

one thing I do..

Comcast usually has deals for 6 months then go to "full price"...and you cannot have had comcast in the past 4 months. Every 6 months I cancel my account and my wife calls and sets it up on her name and vice versa. since you pay for service ahead you never get caught paying more and if you forget and pay they will refund it. I have been paying 19.99 for internet for a few years now.

Learn how to negotiate. You'll win a lot in life.

US1549 said:   Bag lunch to work. Cost of a ham sandwich $2 VS. going out of $5-7

I actually enjoy a ham sandwich with quality meats and cheese more, than spending $ to drive somewhere and eat fast food.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014