• 1 234511
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Make coffee at home.

A savings of $2 per day (50 cent coffee at home vs $2.50 coffee at DD/SB/wherever) would yeild a savings of about $500 a year.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts

Ben2516 (Feb. 21, 2014 @ 11:54p) |

You could go 1/2 a buck at a time if you fold well.  As long as you tip them the other half they can tape them back toge... (more)

Ben2516 (Feb. 22, 2014 @ 12:04a) |

I think it's about prioritizing. Giving up any of these means you're closer -- even if just slightly -- to something you... (more)

debtblag (Mar. 05, 2014 @ 2:44p) |

brettdoyle said:   Wear condoms
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Stop tobacco and/or alcohol consumption.

Bag lunch to work. Cost of a ham sandwich $2 VS. going out of $5-7

Refi their mortgage! My brother still has a mortgage at 6.75%/30yr fixed - I have all but laid out his options on a golden platter, yet he says he just hasn't gotten around to it (it would save him like $300-$400/mo easy) (btw he has a solid job and good credit score so that's not the issue)

Only buy stuff if you can afford to pay the entire bill when it comes (no paying cc interest)

Ditch cable.

Trying to convince my wife but no luck so far, she loves TLC, HGTV, E, Bravo etc.

do not borrow money for cars, vacations etc.

Reduce or cut entertainment expenses which includes dining out

Stop buying cars based on monthly payments. A big SUV for $500 a month could be substituted for a used one for 10k cash.

Invest early and often.

Use stores' return policies - they are there to help you! Keep your receipts in a letter holder or something handy for 3-4 weeks; guaranteed in that time half of the stuff you buy you won't want anymore. Cosmetics, high and low, and can be bought at Walgreens and Sephora where the return policy is 100%. Even without a receipt, and 2 years later, you can still get store credit for returns. Last year I went through my entire house and instead of taking stuff to Goodwill, I took bags of things back to the stores I purchased them from. I was able to return about 75% of it! I came home with over $1,200 in gift cards and money refunded to my credit cards. Most of us have moments of wasteful spending on stuff we think we "need" - it's smart to take it right back when a week later you realize what a bad choice it was.

Bulk purchase meat/poultry and freeze them. If you know someone with Restaurant Depot card, purchase restaurant quality stuff there much cheaper than supermarket. Be sure to buy only what you actually plan to use.

Wear condoms

Use Google and Y0utube to perform routine maintenance on your car. Recently used Y0utube vids to replace couple of sensors on my car that easily saved me $300+. Same thing for home repairs/maintenance.

Use coupons on groceries, but only buy what you would otherwise. Also, don't buy things just because they are on sale, e.g. clothes. If you would not pay full price for it, you might not really need it even at 50% off.

Wear condoms = Quote of the day!

Get out of debt

Learn to cook(or find a significant other who can).

Conjuring my best Dave Ramsey here - "Create a monthly budget, spend every dollar on paper on purpose before the month begins and stick to it."

Read Finance forum on fatwallet.

pay cash for cars.

ach1199 said:   Bulk purchase meat/poultry and freeze them. If you know someone with Restaurant Depot card, purchase restaurant quality stuff there much cheaper than supermarket. Be sure to buy only what you actually plan to use.

Bolded the important part. If you're like me and don't keep good track of stuff in the freezer, you're gonna have months-old chicken that's gotten bad freezer burn.

Send in rebate forms on time!!!! (talking to myself on that one. RRRRR)

brettdoyle said:   Wear condoms

Or take some BC. I'm sure there are a few ladies on this forum

Eat out less.

No Pets!

Cut out sweets from your diet. They are expensive and the sugar is not doing you much favor here

Never, ever, EVER buy a new car. Ever.

Don't impulse buy. Waiting for things you want or need CAN be gotten cheaper if you wait and watch prices.

If you drive to work alone find an alternative (carpool, public transit, bike). Even if you only use the alternative a few times a week you still save quite a bit

wow the above list is turning out to be awesome! .... and if I may add:

get a decent bike and ride it instead of driving if possible. Save on gas and bonus! save on future medical bills.

Learn to view every-day purchases as investments... for example, if you see a high-quality used desk on craigslist for $150, and you figure you can still sell it for at least $100 when you are done with it... shelling out the extra money is going to be better in the long run than buying a cheap-o from WalMart for $85 that will end up at goodwill when you are done. You're saving money in the long run, and getting a way better item.

CheapBustard said:   Read Finance forum on fatwallet.

And stay away from Hot Deals

ach1199 said:   Bulk purchase meat/poultry and freeze them. If you know someone with Restaurant Depot card, purchase restaurant quality stuff there much cheaper than supermarket. Be sure to buy only what you actually plan to use.

I'm not meaning this to sound like I'm questioning you in a mean way, but have you yourself ever done the math on this (or seen it done?) -- it's just me and the wife and everytime I think about doing this "bulk and freeze" thing, it seems like the cost of the freezer + operation cost outweighs the savings of buying in bulk. I don't know if I'm not doing the calcs right, or if it works better when there are 4-5 people, but it seems like buying "a little bit of bulk" and freezing it works, but on a bigger scale it doesn't work (i.e., getting like 5 pounds of something and freezing it in the freezer I already have works, since I'm going to have a little freezer as part of my fridge running anyway -- and as far as I know the more stuff in the freezer actually makes it a little more efficient over time, but getting half a cow and putting it in a new freezer doesn't seem to work out).

dougan778 said:   Learn to view every-day purchases as investments... for example, if you see a high-quality used desk on craigslist for $150, and you figure you can still sell it for at least $100 when you are done with it... shelling out the extra money is going to be better in the long run than buying a cheap-o from WalMart for $85 that will end up at goodwill when you are done. You're saving money in the long run, and getting a way better item.

This is something I'm learning now, we are getting ready to move and I'm finding that the nice lazy boy couches we have are basically worthless even though, I'm sure people are dropping 2K on the same thing at the lazy boy dealer down the street, yet the table and hoosier we got off CL we are going to PROFIT selling back on CL.

US1549 said:   Bag lunch to work. Cost of a ham sandwich $2 VS. going out of $5-7

Ham sandwich? Why are we even living? How about become homeless or suicide? If a person cannot enjoy a decent lunch what is the purpose of life? Should look into getting a better career.

Lets do the math, 22 days of work/month, saving just $1300 per year and eating crap for whole year and rest of your life? This is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion. I never did this in my life did this and I turned out OK.

The markets are rigged, don't try to daytrade.

king0fSpades said:   US1549 said:   Bag lunch to work. Cost of a ham sandwich $2 VS. going out of $5-7

Ham sandwich? Why are we even living? How about become homeless or suicide? If a person cannot enjoy a decent lunch what is the purpose of life? Should look into getting a better career.

Lets do the math, 22 days of work/month, saving just $1300 per year and eating crap for whole year and rest of your life? This is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion. I never did this in my life did this and I turned out OK.

I agree, $2 ham sandwich is a bit extreme, but you can definitely save money by making meals at home vs. going out to eat.

no contracts for phones
ooma and prepaid

Skipping 384 Messages...
RobInBoston said:   Threads like this generally contain some good ideas, mostly common sense, then as you think about someone who may live by most of these rules... no pets, no alcohol, no dining out, never have kids, cheap ham sandwich for lunch, never buy a new car, .... you laugh at how ridiculous it sounds.

My tip - Live in moderation.

I think it's about prioritizing. Giving up any of these means you're closer -- even if just slightly -- to something you're really passionate about

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014