Stockpiling Movie Tickets for Profit

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
or better yet, wait for 3-4 years and watch it on TBS for free

JonnyRock said:   I can't imagine paying $8 for only one movie, I wait until the drive in has it and I can see 3 films for $8.50 or better yet,
wait a year or even 2 for it to get to rebbox for a $1

jomarrod said:   I don't go to the movies very often, but when I do, I make sure there is at least more than 1 movie I want to watch. I pay for my ticket to go to matinee, bring my own treats, hang around after it is over and watch 2 more movies ($19 savings right there).
At places where they offer free refills of popcorn and soda, after the first movie is over, I grab the large bag of popcorn and large soda cup from the person next to me, dump the contents, wash the cup, get a new lid and straw, take it to the concession stand and enjoy my free popcorn and soda ($13 savings right there).

Do not attempt to do this while on a date. Your date will never go out with you again...
:-p

Or, you will know for sure that you met your future significant other on Fatwallet.

The higher they go, the more likely I am to rent a redbox.

$5 Tuesday all day movies
and $6.50 matinee.

I have no reason to choose anything else.

Working the late shift has its benefits in this case

stiltner said:   $5 Tuesday all day movies
and $6.50 matinee.

I have no reason to choose anything else.

Working the late shift has its benefits in this case

Two theaters near my parents have $4 movies AND a small popcorn (they give you a coupon that can be used at any time) on Tuesdays.

I'd venture a guess that in a decade, there might be movie premiers at home or some other median.

not to hijack, but why dont people do this with forever stamps?

Al3xK said:   I'd venture a guess that in a decade, there might be movie premiers at home or some other median.

Direct TV already has some.

AbbaZabba said:   I think the laws of physics are pretty clear that it will be hard to watch a movie on a 50 foot screen outside of a theater.Buy this for your backyard:
http://openaircinema.us/large-venues/40x22-5-cinebox-elite-syste...

I don't think it's a very good idea. I have a bunch of these for personal use, but 2/3 of the time that I end up going to the movie, the ticket agent tells me "Oh, it's only $5 today" so it ends up costing less than the value of the costco ticket. The theaters are never full, so I would imagine promo prices are here to stay.

My annual spending on movie tickets is so small that even a 50% discount wouldn't amount to much. Same for postage.

The price of a movie ticket is $21.50 right now for IMAX 3D: https://www.fandango.com/transaction/ticketing/express/ticketbox...

You can use the forever tickets for this, but I believe you gotta pay a ton of surcharges. I use the Visa Signature BOGO Friday promo to get it almost at 50% off, but I have seen people pay full price.

ImNew said:   not to hijack, but why dont people do this with forever stamps?
The price of stamps hasn't doubled in the last 10 years
But if you think stamps will be $1 ten years from now then it can be a good return

ImNew said:   not to hijack, but why dont people do this with forever stamps?I believe TripleB actually started a thread suggesting this idea. Good riddance.

Considering what they charge for items at the concession.. The determination of who is ripping off who isn't so clear... But just make a few small modifications.. Buy the large bag pop corn once and the drink... Store the empty bag in your own rinsed out cup until next visit....

tante said:   jomarrod said:   I don't go to the movies very often, but when I do, I make sure there is at least more than 1 movie I want to watch. I pay for my ticket to go to matinee, bring my own treats, hang around after it is over and watch 2 more movies ($19 savings right there).
At places where they offer free refills of popcorn and soda, after the first movie is over, I grab the large bag of popcorn and large soda cup from the person next to me, dump the contents, wash the cup, get a new lid and straw, take it to the concession stand and enjoy my free popcorn and soda ($13 savings right there).

Do not attempt to do this while on a date. Your date will never go out with you again...

great tips, here are a few more

FREE DINNER: sometimes I go to restaurants and kinda wander around and when people are finished eating, but have food left on their plate, I will grab it and take their leftovers home.

FREE SNACKS: Also to save money on snacks for you movie experience, hang around behind a bakery, they often toss perfectly good bagels and baked goods into the trash, you just dig out what you want and free snacks for your movie.

FREE CAR RENTAL: Buy a red jacket and pretend to be a valet at a busy country club or restaurant. You can then use their car for free for up for an hour (pro tip: ditch the jacket after you run your errands and return the car and snag some free leftover from inside the restaurant).

FREE CIGARETTES: have you ever noticed people smoke on average about 75% of their cigarettes, sometimes even less when they are short on time. Hang out near a smoke break door during a play and grab a ton of cigarette butts that people discard and take them home and roll your own.

If you don't mind sleeping under your desk or showering at your work gym, PM me and I'll give you some tips on how to live RENT FREE at work.

LMBO!!!

My 2 cents...it's not worth the time, IMHO, nor the money to try this money-maker. There are too many alternative discounts for people who want to see a movie, as others have already shared.

We've been seeing movies in the theater for free lately. I bought a ton of cereal that had the "Free Move Ticket" redemption code inside the box. Until recently, we were too cheap to pay $33.00 for the 3 of us go to the theater to see a movie...besides, you can't pause it like you can at home for a snack/potty break. If I can buy a blu-ray/dvd combo when it comes out later and watch the movie multiple times in the comfort of my own home (clean bathrooms, non-sticky floors, no cost of gasoline, cheap snacks), it's hard for me to justify the cost of going to the movie theater.

That being said, I saw the latest Star Trek Movie in the theater last week, and it was fun to laugh at Spock with the other patrons....

http://www.slashfilm.com/2011-summer-movie-attendance-lowest-199...

2011 Summer Movie Attendance Was the Lowest Since 1997

Not a great industry to be climbing into.

Hey buddy,

I've been stockpiling movie tickets since 2001 myself. I have over 100,000. I am waiting for a certain price point. I guarantee you if you try this, I will be in a position to undercut you on price and leave you stuck eating (or watching) all of your tickets. A word of advice...stay out of this territory.

Krazen1211 said:   http://www.slashfilm.com/2011-summer-movie-attendance-lowest-199...

2011 Summer Movie Attendance Was the Lowest Since 1997

Not a great industry to be climbing into.

Interesting, but I believe total revenue in 2012 was much higher than total in 2011. Actually, I just looked, and in 2012 total domestic revenues were almost a billion dollars more than in 2011. http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2012&view=releasedate&...

Probably helps when you're rolling out The Avengers and Dark Knight Rises.

'Seems like a particularly bad idea to me. 'You thinking of dumping $5 or $10 large into this? To what end? To make 10%? 15%? 20%? In what time frame? You really want to have to sell the vouchers 2 or 4 at a time to make your money? Sounds like a lot of work to me... You thinking of maybe just a few hundred $$ ? Just to what? Make $50? Over the course of a year? Two?

Who's to say that the theaters won't change the Ts and Cs on you after you've bought the vouchers? And when they do, inevitably, what leverage do you have to make things right? A strongly worded letter? Class-action lawsuit?

It's a fine move for personal use, but just how many can you use over the years?

If you're planning to sell local on CL to avoid eBay fees, realize another risk is that even if Regal doesn't go bankrupt, all the Regals around you can close down.

It got very hard to use up my remaining AMC ones once they closed the near one and the next closest AMC was a 30 minute drive. This was when AMC did not have the option of upgrading silvers to gold, so it also had to be movies that were popular enough to have hung around more than 2 weeks but no one else wanted to see on opening week.

the FW community thus far is making me sad
free movies http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/free-stuff/1156307/
free redbox http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/free-stuff/753600/
I haven't paid for a movie in years.

The AMC Tickets from CostCo are worth $14.50 in Manhattan. Easy way to save $6.00 a ticket! http://www.costco.com/AMC-Gold-Experience%E2%84%A2-Movie-Tickets...

Spac3d said:   jomarrod said:   I don't go to the movies very often, but when I do, I make sure there is at least more than 1 movie I want to watch. I pay for my ticket to go to matinee, bring my own treats, hang around after it is over and watch 2 more movies ($19 savings right there).

There is a difference between being cheap and ripping off the movie companies.

Ok - I'm going to stick my neck out here because I highly doubt that everyone who gave this guy red never snuck into a movie or downloaded one from online. Based on statistics I have seen in the past - this isn't likely.

I love movies...I have a projector setup at home and watch a lot of stuff there - it is cheaper and more convenient especially with little kids (not that they are watching...but after their bedtime). I'll also watch Netflix on my iPad in bed...whatever. I tend to only go to really big blockbuster movies that the big screen, IMAX, or 3D really helps with the experience. Before we had kids, this was maybe 4 times a year with my wife and inlaws...we would all go together and pay for expensive IMAX tickets and concessions, etc.

Occasionally, when the wife is out of town I will do a movie hop...where I will pay for one AM show and then sneak into some more throughout the day. If I do this, I generally plan to buy concessions at the movies.
I can pretty much guarantee that even with my free refills, the theater is making more of a profit off my one ticket and concessions then someone paying for 3-4 movie tickets.

Is this stealing...yeah technically, I guess it is. But it is a victim-less crime. I have never snuck into a movie theater that was full and thus denied anyone else a seat. The only money they lose is the potential money they might have earned. And, as I said - they make out better with me having bought concessions than tickets (since most of ticket price goes to studios and theaters get all concessions). So, if you are ripping off anyone it is the studios. Maybe if we keep ripping them off they will stop letting Michael Bay put in extraneous CGI.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   I dunno where you see movies for $8'now its $11 in most major metro areas

The 16 screen googooplex in my town has $6 all seats, all shows*. *3D features not included. Another has $4 Tuesday showings. We're not major metro though...

Movie theaters are going away.

I just buy the Cinemark adult 2 tix for 15.99 at Costco. Regular Adult prices at Cinemark where I live is 10.50 for a ticket, even more for Xd or 3D or whatever else there is.

If I have to deal with a theater for of yong kids and ghetto superstars I might as well try to save a buck.

prices are crazy.

I just paid $27/2 to reserve Pacific Rim 3D IMAX for this weekend.

AMC gold tickets are a rip-off. You pay surcharge for ETX/3D/IMAX/IMAX 3D.

bigdinkel said:   I wish there was a Movie Theatre that just showed "classics" I wouldn't mind paying $8 to see Star Wars in Theatre or other flicks like Blade Runner, Fifth Element, Space Odyssey etc....

Maybe they show classic movies like Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind etc.

Both the Canadians http://www.thecinematheque.ca/ and the French https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cin%C3%A9math%C3%A8que_Fran%C3%A7a... have such places. The one in Paris had two locations when I lived there and with a membership the films-twelve a day or so-were just a couple of bucks.

By the way, IMHO, movie prices, Hollywood baloney to the contrary, are more likely to go down rather than up.

BenH said:   The only money they lose is the potential money they might have earned.

LOL... loved this one. Same statement a shoplifter can make.
I call this one...Statement of the year!

How about a 'classics' movie theater that charges $15/month membership fee and you can watch movies as often as you want. Theater shows 1 movie a day, maybe 7pm? Movie is changed each week (4 movies a month).

Show up and not a member? No problem, we charge you $15 and you can watch all movies for the next month.

Money maker?

JaxFL said:   BenH said:   The only money they lose is the potential money they might have earned.

Yeah...look, I'm not trying to say that my behavior is totally on the up-and-up. My point, which is unfortunately the point made by pretty much everyone who pirates copyrighted material, does have some validity to it.
If you want me to admit I'm a "thief" for doing this so we can have a legitimate discussion - then ok, I'll admit I "stole" these movies. Once again however, before people go smearing red all over the place, think about any tapes/cds/mp3s you ever copied from a friend, or any other copyright laws you may have broken. Not that I think piracy/theft of IP doesn't do damage, but I think it is funny that 20 years ago no one thought twice about copying a freind's tape collection. Only now that those tapes can be distributed via a worldwide media does it become an issue.

Anyway, the idea is that when the theaters, studios, whatever claim they lost $x amount of money because of pirating, unauthorized viewing, etc - they assume that those who "stole" from them would have otherwise purchased them legally. This is just a huge fallacy. To their credit, if a studio releases 100 items a year, chances are that the pirate who consumer all 100 of them for free would likely have purchased at least a few if their were no other options. But, to believe that they would have legally consumed all 100 given no other choice - uh uh.

Now, I won't deny that I got the benefit of seeing multiple movies for the price of one, but given the other alternatives (see below), they never would have occurred.
By this I mean that if one of those movies I absolutely wanted to see in the theater and thus pay for, does not mean I would have gone to see them *all* in the theater. I likely would wait for redbox/Netflix/other home consumption etc.

There are only a handful of movies a year (usually big action blockbusters) that I prefer to see in the theater. When I go, I usually pay for premium tickets and purchase outrageously priced concessions.
So, if I have an opportunity to go and see, say 4 movies where I plan to "pay once" and sneak around - one can bet that none of these movies are ones I would "normally" go see in a theater. So basically, there are 3 scenarios that would occur in me seeing these 4 movies:

1) Watch them all at home when available for approximately $1 a movie (redbox/prorated Netflix , etc) - Most likely
2) Watch them all at the theater for ~$10-15/film - Definitely unlikely, as I don't deem these "big screen worthy"
3) Watch them all at the theater for ~$10-15 for all - This is the scenario where I sneak around.

Seeing how as I buy concessions in #3 - #3 actually works out to be the most profitable for the theater, and likely the studio. In #1 the studio probably gets less for all 4 movie rentals then they did from the 1 purchased theater ticket. Yes #2 would be more profitable, but would never occur given that #1 is an available solution. In other words - if there were technical controls in place to prevent me from doing #3, I wouldn't do it and instead opt for #1. Also - think about why there are no technical controls in place - with few exception. Opening night for a big movie they often have someone checking tickets again in-line because this would be a big loss for the theater if 10 people snuck in, then they couldn't sell $150 worth in tickets. Theater layout is designed in most cases not just to allow it, but to be conducive to this behavior. Now, I'm not saying that theaters encourage it - but they obviously don't look at it as a loss leader. It's possible that they too acknowledge that if someone is going to pay once to come in for the day - even if they see multiple movies - they will make out better than if that person didn't come at all.

Again, I won't try and convince anyone what I am doing (again - I have done this maybe a handful of times in my life where I found myself alone for the weekend) is on the up and up. But, it isn't the same as "shoplifting" for a multitude of reasons. For one, you aren't taking something of a finite quantity. Every shirt you steal from the GAP is one less they have in inventory to sell. As I mentioned I have never once found myself in a theater that was close to being sold out. With that shirt, you either have the option of buying for retail, stealing, or waiting until next season when it is only $10. Most people who can't afford the shirt will opt to wait for $10 instead of steal it. Some people may buy it, wear it out for a big event, and then return it... that is more of the ethical grayness I think we are in here. Harmful, no...a little murky...likely so. Also, the used shirt example sounds much grosser than simple sneaking into a movie - I didn't intend that, but works well

Bizatch said:   How about a 'classics' movie theater that charges $15/month membership fee and you can watch movies as often as you want. Theater shows 1 movie a day, maybe 7pm? Movie is changed each week (4 movies a month).

Show up and not a member? No problem, we charge you $15 and you can watch all movies for the next month.

Money maker?

I think scenarios like this might work really well. Of course, the vast majority of movie goers aren't going out to see more than one movie at a time - and many don't have the ability to see more than a couple a month.

I would bet that many theaters have investigated a pass like this, but I would think that there are issues with the studios. The studio typically takes I believe ~75% of new movie ticket sales. I honestly don't know how the movies have to report the # of sales, and I'm not sure how this works exactly in second run theaters.... but anyway, point is - what if you pay $15 and go see 3 movies from Studio A and one from Studio B? Will the theater have to still record your seeings and divide that between the studios? i.e. 75% of studio profit goes to A, and 25% to B? Studio B won't like that since they would have made more had the theater simply sold you a normal ticket.

The economics are pretty busted up - and even when you take piracy out of the picture - most people think ticket prices are already too high, and they are only getting higher. Even though there are more alternatives then going to the theater to see a movie, the studios and theaters keep bumping up prices. So, when you talk about disruptive technology affecting the idea of stockpiling tickets... I think the disruptive tech is already here and the studios just haven't adjusted yet. I think within 5 years there will probably be some changes in movie theater pricing structures (and not just talking about inflation).

breaux124 said:   tante said:   
great tips, here are a few more

FREE SNACKS: Also to save money on snacks for you movie experience, hang around behind a bakery, they often toss perfectly good bagels and baked goods into the trash, you just dig out what you want and free snacks for your movie.

I know you're joking but:
In college I was out late with some friends at Wawa (like 7-11 but super awesome) and they were bringing in the fresh doughnuts and muffins. My buddy asked the guy what he was going to do with the leftovers, and he said, "Just toss them, why do you want them?" Because he couldn't waste the time taking them all off the trays and put them neatly in boxes, he got a clean trash bag and just started dumping everything inside and handed the bag to my friend. It looked so "trashy" but we had a huge bag full of 1 day old doughnuts, bagels and muffins. In college this was like winning the Lottery.

In High School, I had a free period after lunch. The Little Ceasers a block away would give me the left over slices they were going to chuck. Suprised I didn't die from that diet.

BenH said:   JaxFL said:   BenH said:   The only money they lose is the potential money they might have earned.

Yeah...look, I'm not trying to say that my behavior is totally on the up-and-up. My point, which is unfortunately the point made by pretty much everyone who pirates copyrighted material, does have some validity to it.
If you want me to admit I'm a "thief" for doing this so we can have a legitimate discussion - then ok, I'll admit I "stole" these movies. Once again however, before people go smearing red all over the place, think about any tapes/cds/mp3s you ever copied from a friend, or any other copyright laws you may have broken. Not that I think piracy/theft of IP doesn't do damage, but I think it is funny that 20 years ago no one thought twice about copying a freind's tape collection. Only now that those tapes can be distributed via a worldwide media does it become an issue.

Anyway, the idea is that when the theaters, studios, whatever claim they lost $x amount of money because of pirating, unauthorized viewing, etc - they assume that those who "stole" from them would have otherwise purchased them legally. This is just a huge fallacy. To their credit, if a studio releases 100 items a year, chances are that the pirate who consumer all 100 of them for free would likely have purchased at least a few if their were no other options. But, to believe that they would have legally consumed all 100 given no other choice - uh uh.

Now, I won't deny that I got the benefit of seeing multiple movies for the price of one, but given the other alternatives (see below), they never would have occurred.
By this I mean that if one of those movies I absolutely wanted to see in the theater and thus pay for, does not mean I would have gone to see them *all* in the theater. I likely would wait for redbox/Netflix/other home consumption etc.

There are only a handful of movies a year (usually big action blockbusters) that I prefer to see in the theater. When I go, I usually pay for premium tickets and purchase outrageously priced concessions.
So, if I have an opportunity to go and see, say 4 movies where I plan to "pay once" and sneak around - one can bet that none of these movies are ones I would "normally" go see in a theater. So basically, there are 3 scenarios that would occur in me seeing these 4 movies:

1) Watch them all at home when available for approximately $1 a movie (redbox/prorated Netflix , etc) - Most likely
2) Watch them all at the theater for ~$10-15/film - Definitely unlikely, as I don't deem these "big screen worthy"
3) Watch them all at the theater for ~$10-15 for all - This is the scenario where I sneak around.

Seeing how as I buy concessions in #3 - #3 actually works out to be the most profitable for the theater, and likely the studio. In #1 the studio probably gets less for all 4 movie rentals then they did from the 1 purchased theater ticket. Yes #2 would be more profitable, but would never occur given that #1 is an available solution. In other words - if there were technical controls in place to prevent me from doing #3, I wouldn't do it and instead opt for #1. Also - think about why there are no technical controls in place - with few exception. Opening night for a big movie they often have someone checking tickets again in-line because this would be a big loss for the theater if 10 people snuck in, then they couldn't sell $150 worth in tickets. Theater layout is designed in most cases not just to allow it, but to be conducive to this behavior. Now, I'm not saying that theaters encourage it - but they obviously don't look at it as a loss leader. It's possible that they too acknowledge that if someone is going to pay once to come in for the day - even if they see multiple movies - they will make out better than if that person didn't come at all.

Again, I won't try and convince anyone what I am doing (again - I have done this maybe a handful of times in my life where I found myself alone for the weekend) is on the up and up. But, it isn't the same as "shoplifting" for a multitude of reasons. For one, you aren't taking something of a finite quantity. Every shirt you steal from the GAP is one less they have in inventory to sell. As I mentioned I have never once found myself in a theater that was close to being sold out. With that shirt, you either have the option of buying for retail, stealing, or waiting until next season when it is only $10. Most people who can't afford the shirt will opt to wait for $10 instead of steal it. Some people may buy it, wear it out for a big event, and then return it... that is more of the ethical grayness I think we are in here. Harmful, no...a little murky...likely so. Also, the used shirt example sounds much grosser than simple sneaking into a movie - I didn't intend that, but works well
gotta admit its funny. I personally don't care what you do. I prefer not to justify minor indiscretions. That may be nothing more than a fact of life. I've brought food, candy... into theaters. I've once or twice saw more than one movie. When my son wanted subway and I wanted mcd,s... I bought him a sub and we brought it into mcd,s. Nobody questions it when your in a food court of mall... just like years ago, no decades.... they supposedly had double and triple features, even at drive ins. Guess it is similar to cable/sat, where the end user/ provider is squeezed to where its no almost no longer a valuable commodity. But let me say, I believe its called theft of service. No its not a shirt made in Bangladesh, but that's what its called. Just don't also justify it by saying you bought concessions, that were a greater value proposition knowing you were staying the day.

JaxFL said:   gotta admit its funny. I personally don't care what you do. I prefer not to justify minor indiscretions. That may be nothing more than a fact of life. I've brought food, candy... into theaters. I've once or twice saw more than one movie. When my son wanted subway and I wanted mcd,s... I bought him a sub and we brought it into mcd,s. Nobody questions it when your in a food court of mall... just like years ago, no decades.... they supposedly had double and triple features, even at drive ins. Guess it is similar to cable/sat, where the end user/ provider is squeezed to where its no almost no longer a valuable commodity. But let me say, I believe its called theft of service. No its not a shirt made in Bangladesh, but that's what its called. Just don't also justify it by saying you bought concessions, that were a greater value proposition knowing you were staying the day.

I'm not trying to justify it in the sense that I am trying to prove what I am doing is not wrong. I also am not really looking for approval. I know that most people here see this as either not a big deal, or else they imagine themselves snowy white and look to condemn (or they just like pretending to be online). I'm sure at the least it is against movie theater policy, and at worst they could call the cops on me - although I'm not sure what they would charge me with..or if they would press charges. They would probably kick me out. It is funny how you often see things in stores like "shoplifters will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law." But not once have I ever seen a sign at the theaters which says something like "Ticket provides entry only to film and time listed on ticket."

But, as you said - minor indiscretion. My whole point in putting myself out here originally with this was to back up one of the other posters who got hammered by admitting he sneaks in. That is my whole point, is that it is a relatively minor indiscretion, and he who is without sin should cast the first stone. Never (really never?) have you snuck into a movie? Consumed downloaded/copied material? Cheated on a test? Fudged your taxes? etc, etc. Not saying I or anyone of us has done all of these - but sneaking into movies used to be like a childhood right of passage. I don't know how old the original poster was - or how much of a habit this is for him (again I have done it only a handful of times).

Also, I do think it is somewhat relevant to the larger discussion of movie economics that I am justifying my concession purchase with a single ticket as a greater value than paying for multiple tickets without concessions. If only to make you aware that in the former scenario the theater profits more, and in the latter the studio does. Constitutional/Federal/State/Municipality law does not always equate to Natural law or fairness. Although no movie theater would *ever* admit to it, I can pretty much guarantee that economically, they would rather you came in on a single movie ticket, bought $15 of concessions, and stayed for 3 movies then buy a ticket to 3 movies and not buy concessions. They *honestly* make more money that way since they don't need to report the unknown "stolen" movies in ticket sales to the studios.

Now, the contrary to my argument is the golden rule... What if everyone did this? Well then, likely ticket sales would be so abysmal the studios would either raise pricing or stop making movies (as opposed to more smartly trying to lower prices or provide a better experience)...and movie theaters would likely close down on a mass scale. Therefore, it isn't good behavior because if everyone did it, it would lead to bad results.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014