• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am out of the country for a few months and want to apply for a couple credit cards now for travel miles/points. If I use online applications will they see my IP address is outside USA and have a problem?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Only way to know for sure is to try it and see. Worst case they ask you to call to verify your identity before processing the application.

If this is such a big concern (big enough that you went to the hassle to find an Finance site on the Internet, register for an account, and post a question), perhaps you have access to a VPN that would give you a US-based IP for a little while?

scott1956 said:   I am out of the country for a few months and want to apply for a couple credit cards now for travel miles/points. If I use online applications will they see my IP address is outside USA and have a problem?

I have successfully applied to quite a few credit cards from outside the US. So it does not look like the banks check your IP.

I've never had any problems applying for credit card from outside the US; only using them to buy things online in the US from outside the US (primarily because a lot of that has been from Eastern Europe).

I've lived outside the US for 9 years, and haven't had a single problem with credit card or bank account applications in the 9 years I've been abroad. That said, I've also never gotten an automatic acceptance for a CC; they could be related.

I recently applied for the Southwest Card while in Canada and was instantly approved. I did have the card mailed to my US address so I'm not sure if mailing address would be a hurdle.

I have applied for cards while in South America and received them in the US. Pretty sure I've gotten some instant approvals, as well.

I've done many credit card apps from abroad, and I've never had an issue. Use a google voice number...worse thing is you have to call and verify.

Second all that. Applied for multiple cards while living abroad, no problem at all. Of course, you want to use the US mailing address and have someone forward the cards to you. If you have to call to activate, they may have to do more security screening if you don't call from the number on file. GV helps although sometimes they don't get the correct caller ID.

Chase denied me once for applying outside of the US.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014