• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I posted a thread on prepaid debit cards that will send you a check for the balance. A poster mentioned that his bank (TD Ameritrade) allowed him to deposit his prepaid debit cards into his account. Based on my personal experience FirstTech allows it but when I tried at Chase, they had no idea what I was talking about.

Does anyone know any other banks that allow this? If so, please compile in the Quick Summary.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Has this worked for you? Their CSRs don't know what I'm talking about.

debtblag (Jul. 25, 2013 @ 3:44p) |

Now my understanding is AMEX = different system = no go for banks. I've visited every single bank in my town (10+) and n... (more)

myndreamland (Jul. 25, 2013 @ 4:23p) |

As a data point, at the TD Bank branch, it was a Visa PDC that did not work for me.

debtblag (Jul. 26, 2013 @ 7:33a) |

• FirstTech Credit Union

Banks that do not, according to CSRs (that were previously on the first list):
  • TD Bank
  • Bank of America
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I believe Bank of America is limit $1000 if you are not a customer, 10K if you are. Not sure.

How do you suggest a person verify the BOA, pop in or phone them?
Thanks for the info people

I am no expert but I would think that this is going to put nails in the coffin on your existance with the prepaid debit card issuer. Assuming you are doing it more than once in a blue moon.

Silverthunder said:   I am no expert but I would think that this is going to put nails in the coffin on your existance with the prepaid debit card issuer. Assuming you are doing it more than once in a blue moon.

Assuming these are non reloadable cards, how would they know?

Silverthunder said:   I am no expert but I would think that this is going to put nails in the coffin on your existance with the prepaid debit card issuer. Assuming you are doing it more than once in a blue moon.

When I did this at FirstTech, they simply ran the pre-paid card through what looked like a point-of-sale terminal. Maybe it just shows up as a debit/credit transaction to the pre-paid card issuer?

May get a SAR filed on you by your bank if you do it a lot. The thing is, you won't know if they do.

string3599 said:   May get a SAR filed on you by your bank if you do it a lot. The thing is, you won't know if they do.You're not a true Fatwalleter until you've had your first dozen filed on you. Ask THIS GUY about suspicious transactions!

It's easy. Just tell your banker to do a cash advance on the card. I can even do it with a debit Visa or MC. But SAR is a whole another matter. You know it's nice when your banker tells you that he knows what you are doing...

myndreamland said:   It's easy. Just tell your banker to do a cash advance on the card. I can even do it with a debit Visa or MC. But SAR is a whole another matter. You know it's nice when your banker tells you that he knows what you are doing...
The card matters as much as the bank, some cards (namely gift cards) block cash advances like they block ATM access.

Serve & Amazon payments.. Both has the limit of $1000 per month

TheBells said:   How do you suggest a person verify the BOA, pop in or phone them?
Thanks for the info people

The $1000 limit for a noncustomer is what they told me. The limit for a customer they had to look up on the computer...I thought I heard them say to each other it was 10,000...I certainly came close to that total. But yes depends on the card as glitch mentions.

Oh Happy Dance if this is still ringing true! I have been slowing paying a bill here and there, taking bank funds and that going into mama's slush fund. It is a slow process. If I could just walk into BOA and get them into my BOA account now- Happy Dance! Now I know why I took a break from Kohl's shopping and it wasn't just to get the rest of my $10 coupons and a soda! THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Glitch99 said:   myndreamland said:   It's easy. Just tell your banker to do a cash advance on the card. I can even do it with a debit Visa or MC. But SAR is a whole another matter. You know it's nice when your banker tells you that he knows what you are doing...
The card matters as much as the bank, some cards (namely gift cards) block cash advances like they block ATM access.

True. I've only personally done MyVan. Any specific non-reloadable cards that people have had success with, at any bank?

I assume you need to call TDAmeritrade to get them to cash the giftcards?
I don't see an option on the website for cashing out giftcards.
Do they do one of those irritating $1 authorizations?

Jobowoo said:   I posted a thread on prepaid debit cards that will send you a check for the balance. A poster mentioned that his bank (TD Ameritrade) allowed him to deposit his prepaid debit cards into his account. Based on my personal experience FirstTech allows it but when I tried at Chase, they had no idea what I was talking about.

Does anyone know any other banks that allow this? If so, please compile in the Quick Summary.
Which FT CU branch?

freeka said:   Jobowoo said:   I posted a thread on prepaid debit cards that will send you a check for the balance. A poster mentioned that his bank (TD Ameritrade) allowed him to deposit his prepaid debit cards into his account. Based on my personal experience FirstTech allows it but when I tried at Chase, they had no idea what I was talking about.

Which FT CU branch?

The one on Microsoft campus in Redmond. I haven't tried at any other FT branches.

Glitch99 said:   myndreamland said:   It's easy. Just tell your banker to do a cash advance on the card. I can even do it with a debit Visa or MC. But SAR is a whole another matter. You know it's nice when your banker tells you that he knows what you are doing...

Is there a difference between a debit Visa and a Visa Gift Card? If no, what kind of GC block cash advances and ATM access?

Can you do a cash advance on AMEX for Target reloadable cards?

TIA

Look for the safeway, Fred Meyers $10 off $100 GC deal & use multiple rebate cards at the self-checkout to pay for it. The self-checkout terminals know about the rebate cards & will charge only to the remaining/max amount. I usually use this method to offload AMEX GCs, Rebate Cards etc. I have done the cash out at BOA/Chase before but it is a hassle. It doesn't work for certain rebate cards.

May get a SAR filed on you by your bank if you do it a lot. The thing is, you won't know if they do.

So who cares if you never know one is filed what does it matter? Does it affect your credit rating somehow? Am I missing something here?

Sammich said:   May get a SAR filed on you by your bank if you do it a lot. The thing is, you won't know if they do.

So who cares if you never know one is filed what does it matter? Does it affect your credit rating somehow? Am I missing something here?

Even if you are doing nothing wrong, being audited or investigated for money laundering is no fun.

I am sure we all have receipts for all the cards, or most. Since the cards state you can not get "cash advance at ATM" as the only cash restrictions no violation in regards to cash, correct?

PNC can do it for certain cards only. I tried a Norton one and it didn't work; it just said invalid transaction. The teller told me that she knows the ones from Verizon work, though I believe those are from Citi. So maybe if the cards have a bank name, like Chase on them, it will work.

kishoreranger said:   Serve & Amazon payments.. Both has the limit of $1000 per month
I'd take Serve off your list. Recently, Serve is flagging/blocking deposits from gift/prepaid cards. (Take a look at the Serve threads posted elsewhere on FW)

So how do you do this with TD Bank (or any other bank)? Just say to the teller that you want a cash advance off the card & to deposit it into your account?

Most banks have cash advance machines behind the counter. Unemployment and welfare benefits are often issued on a prepaid card. The teller runs a cash advance on the card to unload the money from it.

Tried to do a $100 cash advance on a Visa rebate card (from a Discount Tire rebate) at TDBank today but the transaction was declined.

OneVanilla Visa (issued by the Bancorp Bank if that matters) was declined when I tried to do a cash advance. I attempted to try with an AMEX GC as well but was told by the teller that BOA does not accept AMEX at all.

Jobowoo said:   I posted a thread on prepaid debit cards that will send you a check for the balance. A poster mentioned that his bank (TD Ameritrade) allowed him to deposit his prepaid debit cards into his account. Based on my personal experience FirstTech allows it but when I tried at Chase, they had no idea what I was talking about.

They had no idea what I was talking about at TD Bank either. Tried to do it as a cash advance.

CSRs verified by phone -- only if it can be used with a cash advance or can be withdrawn from at an ATM

dbl118 said:   I believe Bank of America is limit $1000 if you are not a customer, 10K if you are. Not sure.

Has this worked for you? Their CSRs don't know what I'm talking about.

Now my understanding is AMEX = different system = no go for banks. I've visited every single bank in my town (10+) and none can do a cash advance on my AMEX prepaid.

If the transaction is run as a purchase, all of them should go through. However, B&M banks don't seem to do that. It seems as if all transactions processed through teller counter are cash advance transactions. If only there is a way to know which banks will do a purchase transaction in their retail locations. Over-the-phone/online is a different matter.

myndreamland said:   Now my understanding is AMEX = different system = no go for banks. I've visited every single bank in my town (10+) and none can do a cash advance on my AMEX prepaid.

If the transaction is run as a purchase, all of them should go through. However, B&M banks don't seem to do that. It seems as if all transactions processed through teller counter are cash advance transactions. If only there is a way to know which banks will do a purchase transaction in their retail locations. Over-the-phone/online is a different matter.

As a data point, at the TD Bank branch, it was a Visa PDC that did not work for me.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.