• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Or work as an independent adjuster?

Already in the business. My goal is to open up a business eventually. My question is, do you think it would be realistic to get into this field, use it when a disaster strikes and make quick money, but otherwise work at my business?

What kind of money do you think I could make? My Dad is 55 and retired and we live in the same town. He would be ready, willing and able to step in and keep things running for a few weeks whenever necessary.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So just to clarify are you saying that you currently have, and would plan to continue to hold, a W-2 ("day") job working for another company, and you would like to start your own side business working CAT claims as an independent adjuster?

You said you're, "Already in the business," so unless I'm misinterpreting that, it sounds like your W-2 job is in insurance claims, as well. If so, what is your employer's policy regarding moonlighting within the same field?

Also, in your side gig as an independent adjuster, I'm guessing you plan on working for policy holders. If so, it seems like there is the potential for conflicts of interest, being employed by an insurance company but also representing individuals who may find themselves at odds with same company.

I'm almost as far as you can get from an expert on this topic. I'm not in the insurance field but a close family member was for several years. Just wanted to throw out an initial response and try to clarify things.

Conflict of interest

PooDonkey said:   Conflict of interest

Or lack of important details.

dbond79 said:   So just to clarify are you saying that you currently have, and would plan to continue to hold, a W-2 ("day") job working for another company, and you would like to start your own side business working CAT claims as an independent adjuster?

You said you're, "Already in the business," so unless I'm misinterpreting that, it sounds like your W-2 job is in insurance claims, as well. If so, what is your employer's policy regarding moonlighting within the same field?

Also, in your side gig as an independent adjuster, I'm guessing you plan on working for policy holders. If so, it seems like there is the potential for conflicts of interest, being employed by an insurance company but also representing individuals who may find themselves at odds with same company.

I'm almost as far as you can get from an expert on this topic. I'm not in the insurance field but a close family member was for several years. Just wanted to throw out an initial response and try to clarify things.

I would be opening up a completely unrelated business. Not insurance related at all. But potentially, do the CAT property claims on the side

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014