• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is for new or existing accounts. They are offering it for any adult's Sharebuilder account (stock or IRA), but not for ESAs or custodial accounts. Use a promotional code and put cash or stock into the account for nine months to receive the bonus. They say the offer is "not transferable" so it may be targeted. Their telephone number is 800-747-2537. There may be fees to transfer out of these accounts or to close them. August has 31 days, but they want the assets no later than the 30th. Terms:

You must make a net deposit, transfer or rollover, less applicable withdrawals, into one account between 5/31/2013 and 8/30/2013. Assets deposited must be valued at no less than $10,000 to be eligible for a $75 bonus; $25,000 for a $150 bonus; $50,000 for a $250 bonus; or $125,000 for a $600 bonus. Promo code 600ASSET for new accounts or ASSET600 for existing accounts must be entered by 7/30/2013 with the corresponding transfer completed to the same account by 8/30/2013. Offer valid for new or existing IRA, Individual, Joint or Custodial accounts only. Not valid for ESAs. Customers whose account(s) previously qualified for an asset transfer offer are not eligible. Awards will be granted by 9/16/2013. The bonus from Capital One ShareBuilder is not available for withdrawal for 180 days after it is awarded to your account. Assets transferred into the account to qualify for this promotion must remain in the account (minus any losses related to trading or market volatility) for at least nine (9) months or your award may be reclaimed by ShareBuilder. Transfers from an existing ShareBuilder account will not apply. Transfers from a Capital One 360 IRA to a ShareBuilder IRA are not eligible for this promotion. This offer is not valid with any other offers and is non-transferrable. Limit one ShareBuilder account bonus per unique Customer. ShareBuilder reserves the right to terminate this offer at any time and to refuse or recover any promotion award if we determine that it was obtained under wrongful or fraudulent circumstances, that inaccurate or incomplete information was provided in opening the account, or that any terms of our Account Agreement have been violated.

Before accepting a bonus for an IRA, you should consult your tax or legal advisor about the appropriate tax treatment for this award. Any taxes related to Capital One ShareBuilder offers are your responsibility. The bonus for an IRA is a cash award and will not be reported to the IRS as a contribution.

their Web site

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
SaulHudson et. al: check again with Customer Service using name and account#. Someone finally clarified for me the 12 mo... (more)

snork615 (Mar. 10, 2014 @ 11:07p) |

SaulHudson et. al: check again with Customer Service using name and account#. Someone finally clarified for me the 12 mo... (more)

snork615 (Mar. 10, 2014 @ 11:07p) |

What if you just transfer the money and let it sit on ShareBuilder account. I understand that you will get the associate... (more)

sap283 (Apr. 14, 2014 @ 8:23p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

i believe your annualized returns are incorrect. for example, for 75/10K:
75/9=8.33
8.33*12=100
100/10000=0.01
this is 1% annualized for 75/10K

(((75/9)*12)/10000)*100=1.00%
(((150/9)*12)/25000)*100=0.80%
(((250/9)*12)/50000)*100=0.66%
(((600/9)*12)/125000)*100=0.64%

It doesn't make much sense to discuss these types of deals in terms of APY, unless you're planning on transferring in cash and leaving it in cash, in which case, you're really bad at this.

I have an existing account and got the same email. Not much danger of missing the August 30 deadline if you initiate the asset transfer by July 30. $600 is likely taxable. FDIC sweep pays .50%. $75 transfer out fee (or $15 per position, max $75). Transfer out fees are becoming more common.

Not if account holder ever got one like it before. Was turned down.

AugustFour said:   i believe your annualized returns are incorrect.Yes, I had misread the offer. I've corrected my post above to say assets must be left in for nine months. Thank you!

snork615 said:   Not if account holder ever got one like it before. Was turned down.

How was you turned down? I entered the promo code ASSET600 and it says:

Thank you!

That promotion code has been entered. Be sure to deposit, transfer or rollover a qualifying balance by 8/30/13 to be eligible for your bonus.

I have previously signed up and received asset transfer offer 1DEPOSIT500.

What part of
"Customers whose account(s) previously qualified for an asset transfer offer are not eligible"
and
"Limit one ShareBuilder account bonus per unique Customer"
don't you understand?

kickerstarter said:   snork615 said:   Not if account holder ever got one like it before. Was turned down.

How was you turned down? I entered the promo code ASSET600 and it says:

Thank you!

That promotion code has been entered. Be sure to deposit, transfer or rollover a qualifying balance by 8/30/13 to be eligible for your bonus.

I have previously signed up and received asset transfer offer 1DEPOSIT500.

Yes, they indicate that it's applied but then they just never credit you after meeting the terms... Very scummy. I've applied their codes before for deposit bonuses and it's also accepted and then never credited the bonus. The $175 bonus for $5k opening deposit they ran for July 4th was good for people who didn't have an account yet though.

AugustFour said:   i believe your annualized returns are incorrect. for example, for 75/10K:
75/9=8.33
8.33*12=100
100/10000=0.01
this is 1% annualized for 75/10K

(((75/9)*12)/10000)*100=1.00%
(((150/9)*12)/25000)*100=0.80%
(((250/9)*12)/50000)*100=0.66%
(((600/9)*12)/125000)*100=0.64%

You left off the 0.50% they pay for cash sweep anyways. So, you should add 0.50% to your annualized returns.

E-mailed customer service by quoting their e-mail, coded to my account. Told not eligible directly. Skeptical since Fidelity accepted my bonus coding a while ago for airline miles and then refused. Offer continues and is valid for new accounts as stated, so did not spoil it for anyone.

snork615 said:   E-mailed customer service by quoting their e-mail, coded to my account. Told not eligible directly. Skeptical since Fidelity accepted my bonus coding a while ago for airline miles and then refused. Offer continues and is valid for new accounts as stated, so did not spoil it for anyone.Might try some finangling over the phone

lokimoki said:   I have an existing account and got the same email. Not much danger of missing the August 30 deadline if you initiate the asset transfer by July 30. $600 is likely taxable. FDIC sweep pays .50%. $75 transfer out fee (or $15 per position, max $75). Transfer out fees are becoming more common.

Hope the bonus isn't taxable, especially seeing I transferred a non-taxable account.

Many recipient/incoming brokers will reimburse for transfer out fees, just got to plan carefully

lokimoki said:    $75 transfer out fee (or $15 per position, max $75). Transfer out fees are becoming more common.
You probably realize, but some may not, but transfer out fees are only if you transfer out the stocks/securities without selling them. Sharebuilder also doesn't do ACATS so they're supposed to be "slow" doing the transfer (FAQ says about 30 days, I'm in the process of transferring some stock out now... hoping it takes less time. Need to extract a down payment for a house from the other brokerage.). You also have to go get a "Medallion Signature Guarantee" from your bank or credit union put onto the paperwork you need to send in to do the transfer out,

There's no fee to just withdraw money to your bank account. At least with transferring to my bank, Sharebuilder also seems to do ACH transfers fast; the funds are always available next day when transferring into or out of the account. (As opposed to a downside I've seen with Interactive Brokers where it takes a full week to transfer money into the account via ACH)

Thanks for the ACAT info. Since Sharebuilder doesn't use ACAT, "manual" transfer fees for stock and bond positions (from your existing brokerage into Sharebuilder) could be considerable.

Bend3r said:   lokimoki said:    $75 transfer out fee (or $15 per position, max $75). Transfer out fees are becoming more common.
You probably realize, but some may not, but transfer out fees are only if you transfer out the stocks/securities without selling them. Sharebuilder also doesn't do ACATS so they're supposed to be "slow" doing the transfer (FAQ says about 30 days, I'm in the process of transferring some stock out now... hoping it takes less time. Need to extract a down payment for a house from the other brokerage.). You also have to go get a "Medallion Signature Guarantee" from your bank or credit union put onto the paperwork you need to send in to do the transfer out,

There's no fee to just withdraw money to your bank account. At least with transferring to my bank, Sharebuilder also seems to do ACH transfers fast; the funds are always available next day when transferring into or out of the account. (As opposed to a downside I've seen with Interactive Brokers where it takes a full week to transfer money into the account via ACH)

I transferred to Sharebuilder from an outside broker, took less than 3 business days, no need for 'Medallion' or other notary service -- CSR told me that was for the opposing broker and most times not necessary.

monto888 said:   

I transferred to Sharebuilder from an outside broker, took less than 3 business days, no need for 'Medallion' or other notary service -- CSR told me that was for the opposing broker and most times not necessary.

That's the reverse transaction, and I think in that case the rules are set by the other brokerage. (I am assuming that some liability, such as if someone forged your signature and the transfer went to someone else's account, lies with the brokerage you're transferring out from.)

sharebuilder clearly outlines here that you need the Medallion Guarantee for them to transfer assets out: sharebuilder.com/sharebuilder/help/topic.aspx?CategoryCode=CHELP007
Share builder's chat help was more than useless telling me that the medallion guarantee was a service that would be/must be offered by the other broker, when it's not...

Anyways, my bank provided the service for free. My credit Union offers it for $25. [s]I don't think its usual at all for receiving brokerage to charge for incoming manual transfers though like lokimoki was worried.[/s] edit: loki was referring to transfers into sharebuilder.

Bend3r said:   I don't think its usual at all for receiving brokerage to charge for incoming manual transfers though like lokimoki was worried.

Worried about the charges from the sending brokerage.

Are existing accounts eligible if the only bonus they god was the 4th of July FIDS bonus?

This deal is on again. New codes are 600BONUS for new accounts, BONUS600 for existing. Open/enter code by 11/29 and add funds by 12/31. Bonus will be paid by 1/15/14.

thanks for updating- bumping thread.

so did I get it right that if I transfer money from an existing 360 savings acct to an existing SB Individual account, then those accounts would be eligible for the bonus?

prikindel said:   so did I get it right that if I transfer money from an existing 360 savings acct to an existing SB Individual account, then those accounts would be eligible for the bonus?
Sounds like it, so long as it's not an IRA transfer. Might want to contact them to verify before moving the money.

I transferred some stock from my employee purchase plan. I'm not planning on selling it, so I figured that I might as well get a few hundred for letting it sit at SB. Unfortunately, they do not do DTC, which means that rather than my being able to initiate an automated transfer from the holding company, I had to fax in paperwork to SB for them to initiate the transfer, which they claim can take 4-6 weeks (although I'm guessing it will be less). Not particularly impressive service there.

Update: got email this morning saying that the transfer was completed. Took all of 2 days. So much for 4-6 weeks.

FYI. They finally gave me the FIDS (4th of July) Bonus of 176 and then removed it out the same day today! I thought I had received this before but apparently not. I did receive the $250 bonus for 50K offer int he OP's post back in september.

I got my bonus credited yesterday for my new account. They had said it would be paid on 1/15.

Thanks for the reminder. They only gave me $100 bonus for 25K deposit. Sent an email to complain.

It's back again for all of 2014. I could be wrong, but I think the every 12 months wording is new, I thought it was once per account lifetime previously.

Make a net deposit, transfer or rollover, less applicable withdrawals, into one account within 90 days of entering the promo code. Assets must be valued at $10,000 to be eligible for a $100 bonus; $25,000 for a $200 bonus; $50,000 for a $300 bonus; or $125,000 for a $600 bonus. Enter promo code INVEST1 for new accounts, or INVEST600 for existing accounts, by 12/31/2014. Corresponding transfer must be completed to the same account within 90 days after the code is entered. Valid for new or existing IRA, Individual, Joint or Custodial accounts only. Not valid for ESAs. Customers whose account(s) previously qualified for an asset transfer offer are not eligible for 12 months from previous fulfillment. Bonus will be awarded to your account within 4-6 weeks following 90 day qualification window.

Here are other promo codes on their website as of today, 3/10/14:

Make a net deposit, transfer or rollover, less applicable withdrawals, into one account within 90 days of entering the promo code. Assets must be valued at $10,000 to be eligible for a $100 bonus; $25,000 for a $200 bonus; $50,000 for a $300 bonus; or $125,000 for a $600 bonus. Enter promo code FUTURE1 for new accounts, or FUTURE600 for existing accounts, by 12/31/2014. Corresponding transfer must be completed to the same account within 90 days after the code is entered. Valid for new or existing IRA, Individual, Joint or Custodial accounts only. Not valid for ESAs. Customers whose account(s) previously qualified for an asset transfer offer are not eligible for 12 months from previous fulfillment. Bonus will be awarded to your account within 4-6 weeks following 90 day qualification window.

"Customers whose account(s) previously qualified for an asset transfer offer are not eligible for 12 months from previous fulfillment." Does this mean if I had any account qualify for an offer, then I'll my accounts don't qualify for this one? Or, does it mean only the accounts that qualified previously don't qualify for this one?

SaulHudson et. al: check again with Customer Service using name and account#. Someone finally clarified for me the 12 month rule is mostly applied to allow previous customers with a certain balance already, may be allowed multiple bonuses but not more than once every 12 months. Or they may be allowed to open a second account for the bonus. Get confirmation that YOU are eligible in their internal e-mail, save in event of not receiving.

SaulHudson et. al: check again with Customer Service using name and account#. Someone finally clarified for me the 12 month rule is mostly applied to allow previous customers with a certain balance already, may be allowed multiple bonuses but not more than once every 12 months. Or they may be allowed to open a second account for the bonus. Get confirmation that YOU specifically are eligible in e-mai or message section, save in event of not receiving. This will not kill the deal or equivalents offered periodically, it's REAL.

What if you just transfer the money and let it sit on ShareBuilder account. I understand that you will get the associated bonus but I was wondering what interest rate you get on your money sitting in Sharebuilder brokerage account? Also is that money secured by any institutions like FDIC?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014