• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This upcoming year I am going to be traveling abroad quite a bit, I currently have a Chase Sapphire & Chase Freedom card.
I've had the Chase Sapphire card for nearly 3 years now.
Unfortunately both of these cards charge an international transaction fee, and this could become very expensive.

Would it be possible for me to upgrade my current Chase Sapphire card to the Chase Sapphire Preferred card?

Also I wanted to ask you, if you have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, have you had any issues using the card abroad?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I went to the branch this morning and opened the account with the $2k minimum spend. The decision got deferred, so the r... (more)

billrubin (Jul. 12, 2013 @ 3:33p) |

I just downgraded from a Sapphire Preferred to the regular Sapphire b/c I didn't want to pay the annual fee.

Can I upgrad... (more)

kvs25 (Jul. 12, 2013 @ 4:14p) |

You'd have to apply for a new card. I don't think anyone has determined for sure whether you can get the same promotion ... (more)

billrubin (Jul. 12, 2013 @ 4:23p) |

  • Also categorized in:

You can certainly ask. But if they are going to require a hard pull, you might as well just apply for a new one to get the sign up bonus. I had no issues with the card in Australia or New Zealand.

I would apply for the bonus no matter what. 40k UR points are worth a hard pull.

daw4888 said:   I would apply for the bonus no matter what. 40k UR points are worth a hard pull.

I agree, but technically it's a HP and a new account.

I'd close the sapphire, and apply for the sapphire preferred with 40k bonus points.

Depends. I upgrade my card a couple years ago because it was my main and longest card of 7+ years. I didn't want to take a hit in credit history length with a new card as I know I would likely apply for mortgage soon, which I did.

If credit length isn't as important, I would definitely open a new card to get the fantastic 50K UR points bonus. But no matter what you do, do not close a no-fee card. You can ask Chase to transfer the credit line if needed.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to close my Chase Sapphire card, since it's a no fee card, I thought it would be easy to upgrade.
So you guys are saying I'd be better off applying for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card? I also agree it would be hard to pass up that wonderful 40k UR points bonus since it would be very easy for me to achieve that.

I would apply for the CSP and get the bonus 40K points.

Assuming that your current Freedom card is a Visa, I would do a product conversion of your Chase Sapphire card into a Chase Freedom Mastercard.

Then you can have 2 Freedom cards, and double up on your 5x category bonuses.

Squeezer99 said:   I'd close the sapphire, and apply for the sapphire preferred with 40k bonus points.
I would keep it open. Apply for preferred, then if there's an issue when taking to recon, suggest canceling the regular sapphire and transferring the available CL to preferred.

yOyOYoo said:   I would apply for the CSP and get the bonus 40K points.

Assuming that your current Freedom card is a Visa, I would do a product conversion of your Chase Sapphire card into a Chase Freedom Mastercard.

Then you can have 2 Freedom cards, and double up on your 5x category bonuses.


Yep, my Freedom card is currently a Visa card.
Wouldn't my credit get hit if I were to convert my Chase Sapphire card to another Freedom card since it will most likely change my account #?

IcEWoLF said:   yOyOYoo said:   I would apply for the CSP and get the bonus 40K points.

Assuming that your current Freedom card is a Visa, I would do a product conversion of your Chase Sapphire card into a Chase Freedom Mastercard.

Then you can have 2 Freedom cards, and double up on your 5x category bonuses.


Yep, my Freedom card is currently a Visa card.
Wouldn't my credit get hit if I were to convert my Chase Sapphire card to another Freedom card since it will most likely change my account #?


No(but you should get confirmation on the phone if that's what you choose to do),
but don't be worried about a credit hit. it's 5 pts and insignificant.

If you want two freedom cards, I would apply for the other one for another signup bonus

Squeezer99 said:   I'd close the sapphire, and apply for the sapphire preferred with 40k bonus points.

I would close the old sapphire, transfer available credit to your freedom, open new Sapphire preferred, and if credit isn't enough, transfer some out of freedom.

I would also say, go into the branch and do this. I usually do this on the phone, but its such a hassle that I put it off. Last weekend, I went to the branch for something unrelated and teller asked me if I was interested in Sapphire preferred, with 40k points and only $2k spending in 3 months (online its $3k). She also was able to close my United CC (opened for 60K points) and transfer available credit to sapphire preferred. And she did this so much quicker (5 minutes to close United CC and transfer available credit) than I would spend on phone with waits and reconsideration department (not to mention, explaining to a few CSR the same thing). It was nice to do minimum work and get a fat bonus (along with closing a card before annual fee hit).

dpid, I do not have a Chase Branch near me, so unfortunately I don't think I could take advantage of the 2k for 40k points, unless they can do this over the phone.
Also I don't think I can afford closing out a no annual fee credit card because of my length of credit history, my oldest card is my AMEX Costco card which is 4 1/2 years old.

So, convert my Sapphire Card to a Freedom Master Card, then apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card?

IcEWoLF said:   dpid, I do not have a Chase Branch near me, so unfortunately I don't think I could take advantage of the 2k for 40k points, unless they can do this over the phone.
Also I don't think I can afford closing out a no annual fee credit card because of my length of credit history, my oldest card is my AMEX Costco card which is 4 1/2 years old.

So, convert my Sapphire Card to a Freedom Master Card, then apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card?


you do not need a local chase branch to be eligible for any CC offer. You could call for it.
I would still just apply for chase sapphire. If you get approved, try to convert it to chase freedom (keeping chase sapphire and other chase freedom open)

IcEWoLF said:   yOyOYoo said:   I would apply for the CSP and get the bonus 40K points.

Assuming that your current Freedom card is a Visa, I would do a product conversion of your Chase Sapphire card into a Chase Freedom Mastercard.

Then you can have 2 Freedom cards, and double up on your 5x category bonuses.


Yep, my Freedom card is currently a Visa card.
Wouldn't my credit get hit if I were to convert my Chase Sapphire card to another Freedom card since it will most likely change my account #?


In my experience (I just did this a few months ago), I did not get hit with another inquiry. With credit card product conversions, there is usually no hard inquiry involved.

I am a bit concerned, I am not sure if I'd get approved if I were to get a new card.
I have a credit limit of about 25.5k, I am 25, and my CC score is about 754.
Earlier this year I got two cards, a Visa Signature from Barclay (the $400 NFL Card cash bonus) and then the Discover Card with a CL of $6500 which they increased the CL automatically few days ago..
My total credit usage is about 6% of my total available credit limit.

Should I wait until the end of the year to be on the safe side or I should just go for it now?

BTW: On a separate note, I thank all of you for all your help, this site has helped me a lot over the years and learn new things every day.

IcEWoLF said:   dpid, I do not have a Chase Branch near me, so unfortunately I don't think I could take advantage of the 2k for 40k points, unless they can do this over the phone.

The offer is shown prominently at https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire . Why not apply online, and if they turn you down, then call the reconsideration line?

Also I don't think I can afford closing out a no annual fee credit card because of my length of credit history, my oldest card is my AMEX Costco card which is 4 1/2 years old.

So, convert my Sapphire Card to a Freedom Master Card, then apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card?


I tend to agree with what imbatman wrote. The fact that "Sapphire" and "Sapphire Preferred" have similar names isn't a good reason to close the existing account. You could just apply for the Sapphire Preferred and see what Chase does and tells you.

After you come back from your travels, you could ask to have the Sapphire Preferred converted to a no-fee card, instead of closing the account. There's no fee for the first year.

filmy said:   IcEWoLF said:   dpid, I do not have a Chase Branch near me, so unfortunately I don't think I could take advantage of the 2k for 40k points, unless they can do this over the phone.

The offer is shown prominently at https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire . Why not apply online, and if they turn you down, then call the reconsideration line?

Also I don't think I can afford closing out a no annual fee credit card because of my length of credit history, my oldest card is my AMEX Costco card which is 4 1/2 years old.

So, convert my Sapphire Card to a Freedom Master Card, then apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card?


I tend to agree with what imbatman wrote. The fact that "Sapphire" and "Sapphire Preferred" have similar names isn't a good reason to close the existing account. You could just apply for the Sapphire Preferred and see what Chase does and tells you.

After you come back from your travels, you could ask to have the Sapphire Preferred converted to a no-fee card, instead of closing the account. There's no fee for the first year.


Well I would definitely apply online, just someone few posts above said that they got the 2k/40k UR points from a branch instead of 3k/40k UR points.

But yeah, this is the route I am going to take at this point.

Ah, the $2k versus $3k had escaped me. Your idea of asking for that over the phone sounds like a good one.

filmy said:   Ah, the $2k versus $3k had escaped me. Your idea of asking for that over the phone sounds like a good one.

Going to call tomorrow and see what they say.

I upgraded mine a couple weeks ago on the phone. It took all of a few minutes and no hard pull. I kept the same account number and had the annual fee waived for a year. Phone rep said I could call and convert back if I didn't like the Preferred version. I did not receive 40,000 points as some are mentioning, which would have been nice, but similar to ColonelHeero this is my oldest active account and I wanted to maintain that.

Looking through my statements, I've had this card (CS) since 2009.
If I were to apply for the CSP card, I can still keep the CS card correct?
I don't want to pass up the 40K UR points because I can easily get that within 2 months.

I really need to make sure I keep credit cards open for a while, the reason is that when I closed my BoA Visa (first CC ever) I lost 2 years...was 18 and got a CC for $500.
I've never closed any credit cards except the one because BoA gave me an AMEX card and they told me the only way they would give me the AMEX is if I were to close the VISA card.
Either way it was a credit hit and I just went with the AMEX which turned out to be a total crappy card.

What can I say, life is full of regrets and mistakes.

IcEWoLF said:   Looking through my statements, I've had this card (CS) since 2009.
If I were to apply for the CSP card, I can still keep the CS card correct?
I don't want to pass up the 40K UR points because I can easily get that within 2 months.

I really need to make sure I keep credit cards open for a while, the reason is that when I closed my BoA Visa (first CC ever) I lost 2 years...was 18 and got a CC for $500.
I've never closed any credit cards except the one because BoA gave me an AMEX card and they told me the only way they would give me the AMEX is if I were to close the VISA card.
Either way it was a credit hit and I just went with the AMEX which turned out to be a total crappy card.

What can I say, life is full of regrets and mistakes.


Yes you can have both a CSP as well as a CS card at the same time. My CS was actually converted from an old WAMU card. After I had the CSP I realized that I never needed to use my CS card again, so I converted it into a Freedom Mastercard.

IcEWoLF said:   filmy said:   Ah, the $2k versus $3k had escaped me. Your idea of asking for that over the phone sounds like a good one.
Going to call tomorrow and see what they say.
I just called my local branch and verified the $2k spend (she pulled up my info and looked at offers). If anyone figures out a way to get it via phone, please post.

Also, if you are a Chase Private Banking customer, there is a 50k point offer I found online. I checked my pre-qualfied offers on the Chase website, it did not have anything for me, and for my wife it was the $3k spend on Sapphire Preferred.

I actually do not have a plain Sapphire card. I have 3 Freedom cards, and a couple of Slates (converted from other cards, one of which was the old Bank One e-card that gave 5% off at Amazon), and Amazon. Actually, they may have closed one of my Slates recently for non-use.

On a related note:
If I applied for the CSP last year and got the sign-up bonus...
...then tried to cancel the card before the annual fee hit but accepted their offer to downgrade it to a no-fee CS...
...can I now re-apply for a new CSP and score the sign-up bonus again?

(I have 2 Chase CCs total, the CS and a Slate...closed a United card some months back...)

Tried but they won't so it over the phone... The 2k for 40k UR.

icecube said:   ...can I now re-apply for a new CSP and score the sign-up bonus again?If you were to go for the Southwest or another bonus, it would be easier to explain, should they question it. Also it would be a good idea to first draw down your UR points, in case of adverse action. I know Chase doesn't have a "one bonus of each kind per unique customer" rule like ING Direct has, because I've heard of people getting the checking account bonuses repeatedly.

IcEWoLF said:   Tried but they won't so it over the phone... The 2k for 40k UR.Perhaps if you call again at a different time of day, you might get a more helpful CSR?

I'll try again tomorrow at an earlier time and see what they say.

Thanks for the info, the UR points are already spent!

filmy said:   icecube said:   ...can I now re-apply for a new CSP and score the sign-up bonus again?If you were to go for the Southwest or another bonus, it would be easier to explain, should they question it. Also it would be a good idea to first draw down your UR points, in case of adverse action. I know Chase doesn't have a "one bonus of each kind per unique customer" rule like ING Direct has, because I've heard of people getting the checking account bonuses repeatedly.

IcEWoLF said:   I'll try again tomorrow at an earlier time and see what they say.Who did you call? When I called, the branch person didn't know about the offer until she pulled up my account and I assume went in to do the application. I'm not sure if they do that when you apply over the phone.

I called one of their call centers (behind my chase sapphire card #) and they said if the branch is advertising it then the only way to do is by going inside a branch, and even at that point I'd still have to qualify for that promotion, so it's not guaranteed that I'd get it, since it's a targeted offer for the 2k/40k UR points.

So I think I'll just go ahead and head over to Chase.com and just go for the 3k/40k UR points and then convert the card into a MasterCard World.

Just wanted to update you all, I got the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and got instant approval for 7k
I was considering converting the card into the Chase Sapphire Preferred MC, but some people said I should just wait, incase I can just get advantage of the 40K UR Points again if they start offering the MC card version again.

I went to the branch this morning and opened the account with the $2k minimum spend. The decision got deferred, so the rep called the people to try to get them to approve it. The guy got on the phone with me and wanted to close an unused Slate card. I asked if they could just move some of the credit line from one of my Freedom cards which had a ridiculous $23k credit line. He was fine with that, so he moved $13k over. However, the system then wanted some verification so he called that department and put me on the phone with the security folks. Even though I was sitting in the branch and had shown the banker my driver's license, he was asking me questions like what the credit limit was on one of my cards and how much my last payment was. The banker pulled the info up on her screen so I could answer the questions, then I put her on the phone with him since I pointed out that there shouldn't be any question that it was me as I was sitting in a branch! They did some online connection thing called "ConnectUS" (which amusingly has a way to rate the other employee!) and after that he said the card was approved.

So, I got the 40k bonus with only $2k spend, but it took a while for the process.

I just downgraded from a Sapphire Preferred to the regular Sapphire b/c I didn't want to pay the annual fee.

Can I upgrade again after some time? If I can, would I be eligible for any bonuses they have going on?

kvs25 said:   I just downgraded from a Sapphire Preferred to the regular Sapphire b/c I didn't want to pay the annual fee.

Can I upgrade again after some time? If I can, would I be eligible for any bonuses they have going on?
You'd have to apply for a new card. I don't think anyone has determined for sure whether you can get the same promotion a second time or not.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014