• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Received this offer in the mail for an existing Discover card: must spend a minimum of $1500 per month for the following 5 months.
Editing to reflect .25% on the first 3K non-bonus categories:

$250 bonus for $1500 spend - 5 months, ($7500 total spend)

($3,000 @ 0.25%) = $7.50
($4,500 @ 1.00%) = $45.00
$7.50 + $45.00 + $250.00 = $302.50
$302.50/$7500 = 4.03%, annualized 9.81%

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
^^ why not? Discover sees that you bought some high priced (and over price) Rx from SEE VEE ASS!

JuNooNi (Sep. 24, 2013 @ 3:12p) |

Just a note, I emailed Discover asking about if I could receive the automated "goal" emails each month about your progre... (more)

mattun (Oct. 16, 2013 @ 4:45p) |

BTW, I don't care if I am only getting .25%. I only spend on the bonus cats for 5%. I also use Shop Discover lots! I thi... (more)

barrytuneup (Oct. 20, 2013 @ 8:19p) |

• Also categorized in:

Yep, I got it too.

It's targeted, its been covered here before, and it's the fifth time I'll be playing this game of theirs.

How long it will take to get Cash Back ? The usual 6-8 week or does it post earlier .

- Its targeted
- They go by calendar month
- They email monthly status updates the following month (they'll email sometime in Sept to tell you if you met bonus requirements for Aug, email in Oct regarding Sept, etc)
- You usually get the bonus on the next statement after promo ends (if your statement ends early in the month then you may have to wait until your 2nd statement after promo ends)

I just finished a similar targeted discover promo, $500 extra CashBack for spending $2000 for 7 months. The extra Cash Back posted immediately after closing of my last billing cycle.

Was that 2K spent each month or 2K total within 7 months?

2k each month

Nice offer SSG. This is the second time I've gotten a $500 additional Cash Back offer, but both have required $5500/month spend for six (or maybe seven) months. Ridiculous requirement. I typically use my Discover as my primary so I have a high monthly spend, but I'm shelving it for a while until I get atleast some decent offer that's workable.

I got the $500 offer for 3K/month spend. Has anyone successfully "downgraded?" I'd love to do the $250 1500/mo offer.

Dammit, all I got last week (for 1 of my four cards) was the $75 offer for five months of $500/month spend: (75+25)/$2500 = 4.0%

I assume people get these promotions if they haven't used the card in a while. How long must one not use the card to get it?

Actually when I receivde mine was due to too much activity.

dukerau said:   I got the $500 offer for 3K/month spend. Has anyone successfully "downgraded?" I'd love to do the $250 1500/mo offer.

I've tried before and never been able to succesfully do it...give it a shot and let us know if you are succesful. I'm shelving my card for that very reason...

I must still not be living in the real world, because aside from splurging on a ton of stuff (that I don't need) or traveling a lot (on days off I don't have), I'm at the tail of my 3 months (total $3k spend required between a couple different cards) and still struggling to hit $3k.

bytem3 said:   I must still not be living in the real world, because aside from splurging on a ton of stuff (that I don't need) or traveling a lot (on days off I don't have), I'm at the tail of my 3 months (total $3k spend required between a couple different cards) and still struggling to hit $3k.
You're doing it wrong.

I wish I could say my monthly CC spending was less than 4k/month.

I wish...

I emailed them asking if I could be offered this promotion and was told that after reviewing my account, they have found I am eligible for "a full 5% on your first $1,500 in purchases when you sign up and use your Discover Card at stand-alone gas stations through September 30, 2013." How generous.

Got the $250 1500/mo offer in the mail today and signed up. I figure close to 7% Cash Back if I cash out on discounted gift cards (lands end or Staples).

I also have not used my 5% back at gas stations so can used that for the the month of Sept and work to max out the last quarter offer.

No money messenger on the account. The 1500 dollar quarterly categories do not count towards getting you to the 1% tier, so you end up with some 0.25% Cash Back up to the first 3000.

Probably can increase the 7% if they have some good shopdisover promos, or 2% Cash Back offers like they often have.

Can anyone confirm that money messenger counts towards the spend?

vquasarv said:   Can anyone confirm that money messenger counts towards the spend?

I doubt it, since money messenger isn't categorized as a purchase. Similar problem with Serve -- Discover said it wasn't a purchase.

I did a similar offer on my Discover Biz card last year and no problems with Serve counting.

Previous threads http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1272764/ (there has been a lot of them) have indicated money messenger has worked, but not available on the card with my current offer so will not be testing.

money messenger counts. I just got my bonus, and am using it to help fulfill my wifes

TheAccountant said:   money messenger counts. I just got my bonus, and am using it to help fulfill my wifes

Apparently there's some variance because MM and Serve haven't counted for me as purchases. I'll try it again and call to verify that it counts towards the $1500 minimum.

Almost finishing up second offer on my 2 discover cards. MM counts and all other MS as well. Infact one of our HH card has $1k MM limit.

can someone explain the following? I have also received the 250 CB offer for 1500/spend thru 1/31//14. Where does the .25% CB come in? It specifically stated 250.CB. I had this offer a few times and received exactly was what offered. No .25% on anything, even if you failed to spend 3k in the previous periods. I signed up and will probably maximize offer with gas thru 9/28/13 and whatever Shop Disc. has going, plus the 4Q cats.

one more thing, anyone get fouled up with the 1500 monthly spend and think it was billing period? It's a gotcha! But they have a tool on the site for monthly spend compared to billing period.

barrytuneup said:   can someone explain the following? I have also received the 250 CB offer for 1500/spend thru 1/31//14. Where does the .25% CB come in? It specifically stated 250.CB. I had this offer a few times and received exactly was what offered. No .25% on anything, even if you failed to spend 3k in the previous periods. I signed up and will probably maximize offer with gas thru 9/28/13 and whatever Shop Disc. has going, plus the 4Q cats.
  You don't get the full 1% back on "other purchases" until you have spent 3000 and the quarterly categories do not count. You might not have spent under the "other categories" or just didnt notice the Cash Back.

So if you did the 1500 in gas in Sept. You would get 5%.
Spend 1500 in Oct. on the quarterly cat. (online shopping) You get 5%
Spend 1500 in Nov. you would get 0.25%.
Spend 1500 in Dec. you would get 0.25%.
Spend 1500 in Jan., you would get 1% back. Or you could do the quarterly category.

- Then you would get the 250 CB bonus at the end. Also assume you use shopdiscover when possible and there maybe some 2% Cash Back offers. And also depends on your anniversary date when you "other" Cash Back reverts to 0.25%.

lokimoki said:   Editing to reflect .25% on the first 3K non-bonus categories:

barrytuneup said:   You don't get the full 1% back on "other purchases" until you have spent 3000 and the quarterly categories do not count.

You only get the measly 0.25% rate on the first $3,000 of purchases if you haven't bothered to change your card to Discover It. Once you do that, you earn 1% from day one. Changing to It does not impact your Cash Back balance or account number, but verify that with the representative.

NEDeals said:   You only get the measly 0.25% rate on the first $3,000 of purchases if you haven't bothered to change your card to Discover It. Once you do that, you earn 1% from day one. Changing to It does not impact your Cash Back balance or account number, but verify that with the representative.
   Thanks for the tip.  I'm converting.  It takes effect the following billing cycle and they issue a new card.  No impact on current promos, account number and CashBack balance.

I converted as well and got the same information (same account number and does not change the promotion or current Cash Back).

A few extra bucks

Quick question, does purchasing VRs count towards the monthly spend requirement to get the bonus CB?

TIA.

^^ why not? Discover sees that you bought some high priced (and over price) Rx from SEE VEE ASS! 

Just a note, I emailed Discover asking about if I could receive the automated "goal" emails each month about your progress with this promotion (I've seen it mentioned on FWF). CS of course had no idea what I was talking about. So I turned on basically all of Discover's alerts and I received the progress email yesterday.

BTW, I don't care if I am only getting .25%. I only spend on the bonus cats for 5%. I also use Shop Discover lots! I think I am getting 10% from WalMart and Target. 5% online purchase and 5% shop discover. Don't want to call but did get a notice "thanks for spending 325.00 at Target with ShopDiscover. Your $32.50 CB will post on your next billing date". So if trying to spend 1500 for the next 5 months, this will work. Along with a few VR were in!! I use other cards for reg spending that get me 5% on just about everything. If I can't get 5% I use my Cap one Business for 2 %. CB

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014