• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is the first time I'm posting in this forum, but a long time reader, and yes because of it I do drive a Crown Vic and ALL my monitors have DVI

So here's the story:

I ordered a replacement iPhone because mine was acting up and I had AppleCare. Replacement arrived, went off to ship back defective/but still highly functional unit.

-About 3 weeks ago I dropped off the phone to a major shipping outlet local location on a Friday. After taping it up like it contained gold, I handed it to the clerk and he handed me a receipt. A weird sixth sense or divine intervention I actually saved the receipt that lists the weight/tracking number of package.

-I knew the package was going to be sitting around for a few days, because the pick up was monday, but I thought to myself, its not like someone was going to steal my package right? WRONG.

-About a week goes by and a charge shows up on my credit card, for the cost of a full replacement, around $550. I thought it was an oversight, so I called in to get it corrected. After taking to a few reps and getting escalated. I was shocked to learn that the boxed had showed up to their center with it empty. They said in this instance they take notes, pictures and document the box and its contents, and finally open an investigation.

-So here are my assumptions, either a shipper's driver or employee snatched the phone out of the box, taped it up, and sent it on its way. My money's on the former.

-I was assigned a case manager, they are in the middle of their investigation. To get an update I called in today. While on the phone, the inital rep mentions my imei, and also says its currently active, and low and behold gives me a persons name to which the phone is active. This person actually had the audacity to call in to the tech line because she was having issues with the developer ios7 that I installed and uninitiated before I sent it in.

-So now I'm armed with the persons name, address (google), and obviously my IMEI/serial number.

-I did a simple google search of their name and its comical, this (suspect) person has every kind of social media account known to man.

So what do I do next?

I have no real proof that this person is the person that has my phone. aside from having the same name. It's very circumstantial.
Can the police track the IMEI and serial to the person by subpoenaing the persons phone records?
Should I file a police report? If so, in my city (one of the safest suburbs in the country) or the suspects city?
What if apple concludes their investigation and finds that I'm at fault/not at fault?
Do I file a charge back if at fault? Contact shippers location manager or go straight to corporate, due to the severity of the crime?
A shipper employee could have possibly fenced this person my iPhone, so I'd kinda feel bad if they bought it off of craigslist.

Thanks for reading and responding!

-Qid

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I had no IP on the phone. I actually backed up the phone and wiped it clean. Didn't want someone possibly going through ... (more)

qidrox (Jul. 22, 2013 @ 8:23p) |

Police are spend most of their time lately on traffic fines

JonnyRock (Jul. 24, 2013 @ 3:52p) |

Lesson from this thread is that if you are within driving distance of an Apple Store - take your returns in yourself!

steve1jr (Jul. 26, 2013 @ 6:19p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Best luck to you but most law officers will not budge for $550 value (in my past experience)

I would tell Apple your story and let them block the new user and give you credit for it. If that fails, you can try contacting that female thief and haggle with her but I would value your time because dealing with scums can take unexpected turns at any second.

GL

Is it possible that the person works/worked at the shipper's place?

While you might feel bad if this person is not responsible, you may very well have to involve her to get the money or phone back. If she is contacted by police and can demonstrate that she unknowingly purchased the stolen goods, she won't be charged.

I found out the person that is using my phone lives and works about 50 miles away from (my city's)shipping location. So highly, unlikely. But maybe they might know each other?

Most likely the person who stole it sold it already.

Maybe you can find out who sold the phone to her?

give it to the cops, all the info, they might see it as low hanging fruit and scoop it up for you

Wow, I am pretty impressed by the fact that they gave you the person's name. Even though I've tried, I have never been given another person's name for fraudulent purchases, stolen modems etc.

How about if you focus on the shipping company. Won't they care that one of their employees is stealing packages? I mean, if they have other instances it will no longer be just a $500 case and the police might get involved more easily.

Definitely do not take action, way too messy even with a positive outcome. It's apple's investigation . . . I would scan the receipt from the shipping company proving that you mail it and have them do whatever they want as long as they reimburse you for your credit card charge. Would also inform your credit card that that charge (from Apple) is being investigated

File a police report.
Then file a chargeback
Then do nothing, you'll get your money back from the CC company once you file the police report. Once you do that no one is going to accuse you of lying of trying to defraud Apple.

money2011 said:   File a police report.
Then file a chargeback
Then do nothing, you'll get your money back from the CC company once you file the police report. Once you do that no one is going to accuse you of lying of trying to defraud Apple.

Generally it is your responsibility to get the phone to companies when you RMA/warranty return it. OP probably is out of luck unless he got shipping insurance. In any case chargeback will not fix it as apple will just continue to bill him if they believe they are in the right.

My 2 cents :

Contact the shipping company customer service and explain them the situation. At the end of the day, it is shipping corporation issue and not Apple's. Tell them what they can do to rectify the situation or else throw the usual scare tactics : Contacting local news channel or Law suit. I am sure local news will be very keen to telecast your story and even track down the person who has your phone

LordB said:   In any case chargeback will not fix it as apple will just continue to bill him if they believe they are in the right.
They can not just rebill your card after a chargeback. They can send him a bill, and send him to collections(or sue) if he doesn't pay it.

Bottom line. Did you pay for insurance?

Was the rep you spoke to at Apple or your wireless carrier? If you spoke to someone at Apple, contact your wireless carrier to see if there's anything they can do to help.

Any weight listed on the receipt? Compare that weight with the weight of the arrived package- that should at least prove you shipped the iphone and someone in the shipping company/receiving end stole it. I would think that would go a long way towards making you whole.

Assuming it were me (and I had not paid for insurance coverage) I would do all three of the following: (1) file police report to document theft of phone, (2) provide apple with police report details, report to them theft of phone, and get documentation of what they received (i.e., pictures of empty box), and (3) approach shipping carrier with police report details, receipt showing initial weight vs pictures showing empty box, and lean on them to make it right.

Name match does not mean anything. Being a landlord I know, every name has zillion matches.

tchen811 said:   Most likely the person who stole it sold it already.

OP this most likely seems to be the case. The person who has it right now has no idea probably that this phone was stolen. That is why she is not afraid to hide her identity.

Then file a chargeback

Do this. Your credit card provider will back you up and likely refund your money.

pics?

Oh, why NOT file a police report?

Then file a chargeback

Is it Apple's fault that OP didn't deliver his phone to them?
I guess that would depend on who chose the shipping company.

qidrox said:   This is the first time I'm posting in this forum, but a long time reader, and yes because of it I do drive a Crown Vic and ALL my monitors have DVI

Is this a FWF meme I've missed out on?

Why is everyone saying chargeback? Unless Apple's receiving department is the one that stole it they have no liability here. While it's in transit from you to them it's your problem.

I do agree with going to the police. You've got some low hanging fruit here, they might be willing to do something.

Did apple supply the postage to return the phone to them? If so then it would be their problem.

LordKronos said:   qidrox said:   This is the first time I'm posting in this forum, but a long time reader, and yes because of it I do drive a Crown Vic and ALL my monitors have DVI

Is this a FWF meme I've missed out on?

It's more of a Hot Deals meme than Finance forum.

Go to the Police with the information you have. That is their job. Either the girl stole it or bought it stolen, it is her problem to deal with the police.

The shipping company should cover it as you do have the initial weight listed and will have a copy of the Police report. Call them and slam them for having criminal employees.

vipercon said:   LordB said:   In any case chargeback will not fix it as apple will just continue to bill him if they believe they are in the right.
They can not just rebill your card after a chargeback. They can send him a bill, and send him to collections(or sue) if he doesn't pay it.

I did not say they would bill the credit card just that they would continue to bill him.

They saved you from electrocuting yourself with it.

You had me at "I do drive a Crown Vic"!

Better call Saul!

wp746911 said:   Any weight listed on the receipt? Compare that weight with the weight of the arrived package- that should at least prove you shipped the iphone and someone in the shipping company/receiving end stole it. I would think that would go a long way towards making you whole.

Yes, there was a weight listed on the receipt.

Does anyone have any industry insight as to if shipping companies weigh the package at each "stop" or scan in point? Does the conveyor belt do it automatically and is kept in the company logs for each package, aside from the scans we see on the tracking related website? PM if you feel its sensitive info thanks!

daw4888 said:   Did apple supply the postage to return the phone to them? If so then it would be their problem.

Yes, Apple sent me out a pre-addressed box to their repair center. It was labeled with their headquarters, and company name I believe. I just can't fathom that Apple doesn't insure these packages. It has to be insured, but maybe in cases of non deliverance?

seawolf21 said:   Bottom line. Did you pay for insurance?

I didn't have/ inquire about insurance since it was a preaddressed/preposted box from a private shipper carrier NOT the USPS.

So, Apple gave you a prepaid box and instructed you to hand it over to the shipper of their choice?
If that's the case, I'd say your obligation to deliver ended the moment it left your hand.

taxmantoo said:   So, Apple gave you a prepaid box and instructed you to hand it over to the shipper of their choice?
If that's the case, I'd say your obligation to deliver ended the moment it left your hand.

Yup. Granted I could've dropped it off at any of their shipper's many locations, but since I thought one of their "offical" locations would be best, that what I went with.

taxmantoo said:   So, Apple gave you a prepaid box and instructed you to hand it over to the shipper of their choice?

Bingo.

Scan the receipt that shows the weight when you shipped it. Contact Apple and send the receipt as proof the phone was in the package when you shipped it, per the agreement. Emphasize that the phone was stolen in shipping, and ask them to credit the charge to your card. Make sure that they contact UPS, or whomever the shipper was, and make sure they have filed a claim for it.

Keep calling and keep going up the chain of command until someone resolves the problem to your satisfaction.

Wow, theoretically, as far as everyone else is concerned, you could have shipped an empty box and you could have sold this woman the phone. It seems to me that you need to get the cops involved. Although cops are loathe to spend time on property crime, if, as someone else has suggested, you can document the sequence of events, they might be interested. Heck, I even heard about cops in NYC spending hours chasing after an iPhone thief.

Skipping 35 Messages...
Lesson from this thread is that if you are within driving distance of an Apple Store - take your returns in yourself!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014